Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

better nate than lever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SO DEMANDING posted:

but i cant remember where the hell this was originally posted. yospos? shsc?

This was on the gray forums, in one of the megathreads, coding horrors iirc, and it was an utterly magnificent way to call out nbv4 for making GBS threads the thread up.

It was a masterstroke when it was written and it remains a wonderful post.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
the entire IT industry the entire planet being run by an clipboard wielding version of Urkel

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

sad but true

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

magic leap

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

killernic

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the rear end subtitle format

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

many years ago there was a BBC TV show where they'd play Rome: Total War with a game show commentator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJhOa1ugByQ

ahead of its time really

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

distortion park posted:

many years ago there was a BBC TV show where they'd play Rome: Total War with a game show commentator

ahead of its time really

for years i was convinced i'd imagined this until someone at work mentioned it.

my only (possibly faulty) memory of the show is there was a team playing a roman legion and they thought the interlocking shield thing was some kind of super-move, so they just walked into the middle of the enemy and did it, as if expecting that would somehow make them win

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

they rebooted that show a few years back with dara o’briain and it was bad because they tried to make it an actual competition

the weapons expert transitioned though and it was fun watching her do the same goofy weapon demos she did on the original series in far less practical clothing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

distortion park posted:

ahead of its time really

oh my god I had forgotten all about this

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it's one of those short-lived forgotten shows - like cyberzone or interceptor

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sweevo posted:

You misspelt x-fire

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
I remember when my friend's dad at Nortel got this insane phone:

we definitely felt like we were living in Star Trek

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
is that a nikon camcorder :eyepop:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

njsykora posted:

they rebooted that show a few years back with dara o’briain and it was bad because they tried to make it an actual competition

the weapons expert transitioned though and it was fun watching her do the same goofy weapon demos she did on the original series in far less practical clothing

girls stay winning woo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sweevo posted:

cyberzone was great, it took us 20+ years to reach the same heights of vr it reached: two dorks on treadmills pretending they were in cyberspace

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLj-xibrpoM

just choose any bit of this it's all as terrible and great as any other

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 28, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Nick arcade

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kazaa

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Internaut! posted:

:piaa::piaa:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

jammyozzy posted:

You misspelt x-fire

x-fire loving ruled and was probably responsible for multiple homosexual awakenings with the amount of hot people (and AJ) in tight latex suits and big stompy boots, shame only one episode is on youtube in any kind of acceptable quality while the rest is roughly 160p and also split into 8 parts each, also shame it got completely derailed by being a goofy gameshow about global terrorism that started airing in august 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykZkGvx5BDo

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Internaut! posted:

ICL One-Per-Desk AKA Merlin Tonto AKA Computerphone. Basically a Sinclair QL (failed 68008 micro) with a built in phone and a Speak & Spell voice for messages.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

all this is really telling me is that the most famous thing amstrad ever made was actually long after its time

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring

Sweevo posted:

Computerphone.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
windows 8 was pretty much memory holed

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Beeftweeter posted:

my last job was building and supporting training labs and a bunch of them were loving windows 8 that I could never get the buy in to update to win 10. imagine selling a training package to someone and it’s a mix of 7, 8, and 10 (and a few with xp lmao) with no consistent theming or feel. guaranteed they still use them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

id take the windows 8 start screen over the windows 11 start menu every day of the week

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

id take the windows 8 start screen over the windows 11 start menu every day of the week

we didn't know how good we had it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm honestly surprised we haven't had any "windows 8 was good actually" takes like people have for vista

wasn't this just the windows 10 start menu?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

njsykora posted:

wasn't this just the windows 10 start menu?

not quite, but id take that too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Win8 really sucked. 8.1 was tolerable.

7 and 10 are where it's at obviously though. High hopes for 12

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

njsykora posted:

i'm honestly surprised we haven't had any "windows 8 was good actually" takes like people have for vista

vista really wasn't that bad. i was involved with the beta program (before it was open to all) and it was extremely interesting to watch the progress. it got a bad rap because it was too heavy for most people's pc at the time, if you gave it enough resources it was fine

windows 7 was basically just a refined vista, and i think it's probably uncontroversial to say 7 is probably the "best" windows after xp. similarly you could say windows 8 was a "refined" windows 7 too, and that's not exactly wrong either — most people just didn't agree with the direction it went in

imo windows 10 is probably analogous to vista. i think it was an attempt to refine whatever windows 8 was supposed to be, and it works pretty well, though i don't like it as much as 7. there's too much extraneous crap tacked on to it, which was also vista's problem

windows 11 swings too hard in the other direction. instead of refinements, they have no idea what it's supposed to be. until they figure that out windows 12 stands to be even worse

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

windows 11 should have just been a service pack for windows 10

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

windows 11 should have just been a service pack for windows 10

you know what kind of person made 11 bad? the ones who go "ugh, why are we using this old framework/library/code base? it'll *save* time to rewrite from scratch"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I distinctly recall in the early days of windows 10 they said it would be the last version of windows and they’d just keep updating it and deprecating older versions of it.

did I dream that?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

njsykora posted:

all this is really telling me is that the most famous thing amstrad ever made was actually long after its time

lmao I worked in an electronics store in 2000 when I was a teenager and we got a shipment of those soon after I joined and by the time I left in 2002 we had not sold a single one

I got close once but it turned out the people were from Brazil and we had no idea if it would have worked (it would not)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

you know what kind of person made 11 bad? the ones who go "ugh, why are we using this old framework/library/code base? it'll *save* time to rewrite from scratch"

that's another reason i think 10 is kinda like vista. they tried doing that too and eventually just hit the reset button and based it off of windows server 2003

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the big problem w/ windows 11 is UI regressions like loving up the context menu for no reason or loving up the start menu with icon grid.

them rewriting backend stuff to improve performance (i.e. direct storage) is good and fine.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I wish I hadn't upgraded to 11 but it got a bit better in the last update because they reverted the idiot icon changes in file explorer

whoever decided to rename the settings sections needs to be fired though because why the gently caress would you break like 20 years of consistent naming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

MS had to drop the claimed minimum system requirements for Vista so that OEMs could sell off their remaining stocks of shitbox PCs. so the kind of people who buy computers from supermarkets would come home with a P4 Celeron with 512mb and then blame Vista when it ran like crap