Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

on the subject of landscapes and trails this is probably my favorite picture I’ve ever taken. same trip as the centurian i posted above. I’ve posted it before but it’s been a while.

this photo has popped into my mind a few times since I saw it .. I like it.. thanks for sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just share

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

this photo has popped into my mind a few times since I saw it .. I like it.. thanks for sharing

i’m really happy to hear that. thank you.

e: if you’re interested in knowing more i took it while visiting the ribblehead viaduct. i stood just to the east of the bridge, shooting the path to the southeast.

took this one that same day, facing the other direction

President Beep fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 23, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
now that’s a sense of scale

:chanpop:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://instagram.com/vmdws

drat

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

dude obviously has talent but a lot of people who shoot desert scenes do this thing where they wash out the colors even more than they are irl and i don’t it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Lol he sells NFTs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

a couple of decently framed pics with terrible post processing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

a couple of decently framed pics with terrible post processing

isn't terrible post processing what put instagram on the map?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
turning a big dial taht says "Portra" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

tef posted:

turning a big dial taht says "Portra" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

akadajet posted:

isn't terrible post processing what put instagram on the map?

lol i guess. i never made an account because they used to(?) insist upon you making an account in order to view anything

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i mean if i wanted to view bad photos my own library is right here,

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i literally only follow mini painters and pro wrestlers on instagram and even with that, looking down the search feed is just

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

dude obviously has talent but a lot of people who shoot desert scenes do this thing where they wash out the colors even more than they are irl and i don’t it

I am an absolute sucker for it

#unashamed #garbageperson

tef posted:

lethal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this isn’t so much a good photo but more of a celebration of autofocus on a moving subject

my kid doing a dive. it’s challenging colour wise to make it feel balanced coz it’s aggressively blue including blue light all over him

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

on the subject of landscapes and trails this is probably my favorite picture I’ve ever taken. same trip as the centurian i posted above. I’ve posted it before but it’s been a while.

this pic reminds me of the time i walked to a muddy beach in hawaii

e: thats a "road"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the same way that i’m a “person”

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i really like that picture pokejoe. first i was like "cool, that's pretty" and then i was like "holy poo poo that's a person." it's not often you get to read and re-read a photo in the same way you do a good text and while it'd probably be better in a certain put-it-in-a-gallery sense (turned away and digging through muck all candid-like) or whatever i really really like it best exactly as-is. it's much more interesting with a guy (you I think) who is like "HELL YES THIS OWNS", because it's kind of a snapshot party aesthetic imparted to a photo that'd otherwise be just a "hey look it's a beautiful landscape" sort of thing. instead of bringing it down, though, it adds to the re-reading aspect above - first you're like 'oh a beatuful landscape of a small mud road' then it's 'oh poo poo that's a dude, my scale is all hosed up' and then it's 'wait this is a fun snapshot, this isn't some bullshit made for a gallery, this is raw beauty and photographic acumen coming out in an expression of joy and fun and "gently caress yes i'm in paradise". so in not having a "i'm walkin along" boring bog-standard candid type thing, it gets to the real point of candid photography, of capturing a moment. or whatever.

i am full of poo poo, i don't really know what i'm talking about, but that photo was good enough that i wanted to try to express why i think it's good because i really like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

theres this effect some photographers do and they do it lightroom apparently where its like they restrict the palette to like 6 colours, and make everything fit that. wish I could find an example, but I wonder if it's done thru manipulation of hue sliders etc. spose with no examples its hard to explain.

useless post I know

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnbkxptNq5_/?igshid=NzAzN2Q1NTE=

this is the dude and the thing I am talking about

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m a nice piece of reaffirming my convictions I was browsing insta as I do and was going thru a portrait photographers work and was really enjoying the look of his photos and noticed they’d put the length of the lens as a hashtag on most photos and they were all
pretty much 135 and some 85

turns out I really just enjoy the way longer lenses make portraits look

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I enjoy looking at the meta data on Flickr. Some people remove it , stop it! I want to see the aperture and focal length :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones posted:

i really like that picture pokejoe. first i was like "cool, that's pretty" and then i was like "holy poo poo that's a person." it's not often you get to read and re-read a photo in the same way you do a good text and while it'd probably be better in a certain put-it-in-a-gallery sense (turned away and digging through muck all candid-like) or whatever i really really like it best exactly as-is. it's much more interesting with a guy (you I think) who is like "HELL YES THIS OWNS", because it's kind of a snapshot party aesthetic imparted to a photo that'd otherwise be just a "hey look it's a beautiful landscape" sort of thing. instead of bringing it down, though, it adds to the re-reading aspect above - first you're like 'oh a beatuful landscape of a small mud road' then it's 'oh poo poo that's a dude, my scale is all hosed up' and then it's 'wait this is a fun snapshot, this isn't some bullshit made for a gallery, this is raw beauty and photographic acumen coming out in an expression of joy and fun and "gently caress yes i'm in paradise". so in not having a "i'm walkin along" boring bog-standard candid type thing, it gets to the real point of candid photography, of capturing a moment. or whatever.

i am full of poo poo, i don't really know what i'm talking about, but that photo was good enough that i wanted to try to express why i think it's good because i really like it

Thanks! I Iike the sense of scale my presence provides, those ruts in the road were enormous

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah looking at this dudes photos last night reaffirmed my love of 135mm but also made me think I might need to roll off the aperture from time to time

I probably won’t though

lol

I hate to use this word - dreamy - but sometimes portraits with really shallow DoF - to the point where eyes are sharp but tip of nose isn’t - have this ~dreamy~ look, and what I mean by that is they remind me of looking at something when you’re in a dream, and the detail is only where you’re looking, and the shallow DoF portraits recreate that for me, when you’re looking at the eyes and you can tell theres a lack of certainty about how certain facial features look, it really make it feel like a dream to me

I know some people hate such a shallow DoF on the face and some people think it’s a sign of poor choice of aperture but it’s a creative choice that I am a fan of, just like the shallower contrast looks I like, they’re a purposeful creative choice and not an ignorant lack of ability. others don’t have to like it and there is no objectively wrong choice

man I wanna get out and do some photo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

Thanks! I Iike the sense of scale my presence provides, those ruts in the road were enormous

is that you? I didn’t realise you were such a tiny baby of a person

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

this isn’t so much a good photo but more of a celebration of autofocus on a moving subject

my kid doing a dive. it’s challenging colour wise to make it feel balanced coz it’s aggressively blue including blue light all over him

i’d be proud of that.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

this pic reminds me of the time i walked to a muddy beach in hawaii

e: thats a "road"

the sense of scale here is incredibly hosed up and i love it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

is that you? I didn’t realise you were such a tiny baby of a person
Yes I'm only about 2 feet tall

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol joe you definitely look like you belong in seattle

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beeftweeter posted:

lol joe you definitely look like you belong in seattle

buddy,

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol hell yeah

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

proper yosgoon right there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

they won’t even let me gently caress it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are any of these building photo good? it's hard to know, they're buildings which are by definition are boring as gently caress

I only kinda lke one of them I think

regardless

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
breaking new s they’re all poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

this one is kinda neat imo. picks up on the brutalist repetition in an interesting way.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

are any of these building photo good? it's hard to know, they're buildings which are by definition are boring as gently caress

I only kinda lke one of them I think

regardless

they're ok. i feel like they would work better at different angles, the subjects are not that bad themselves

third one is probably closest to the way i'd approach it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, third one kind reminds me of a ship’s prow or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I like the 3rd one