Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
yeah, looking at it again it's really the only one where you get a sense of "this is a whole building"

i know you don't like them echi but a wide lens would help immensely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think 3 would be good if it had more of the building in it. as is it just feels like it's the top bit and feels kinda strange. as is i like 2 the best

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, looking at it again it's really the only one where you get a sense of "this is a whole building"

i know you don't like them echi but a wide lens would help immensely

haha hmm im not so certain, i’ve gone into lightroom
and done that perspective correction tool to remove all perspective and get everything as parallel as possible, which tbf was relatively subtle, but that’s what I wanted out of these

I would rather have gone further away than wider if I wanted to get more building

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

haha hmm im not so certain, i’ve gone into lightroom
and done that perspective correction tool to remove all perspective and get everything as parallel as possible, which tbf was relatively subtle, but that’s what I wanted out of these

I would rather have gone further away than wider if I wanted to get more building

a wider lens is functionally the same as stepping further away lol

you can remove the distortion also, which reminds me of this pic i posted in the weekend thread:

it's not a fantastic pic by any means (it's merely okay imo), i just took it because i saw a concorde sitting outside of an aircraft carrier, lol. if you're not very familiar with the concorde, though, the nose is very long, and the perspective distortion really makes it look, well, not

i found this after the conversation had already moved on but i think it excellently illustrates what i mean

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

no it’s not lol

you might end up capturing the same amount of building but it’ll be all perspectivy and gross

I want the image to be as orthographic as possible, for my purposes anyway

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
echi get a tilt shift lens :getin:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

no it isn't! we went over this a few pages back. the only thing that affects perspective compression is the distance to the subject, and distance to the subject always changes the perspective effect. the wide angle lens does what it says on the box -- it lets you capture a wider angle of the scene. if you take a wide angle photo and crop in to the same angle of view as a long lens would have, the perspective will be identical to what you would get from using the long lens from the same location. but if you take a picture of a building with a 24mm lens from close up, then walk away and zoom in to 135mm and take a picture of the same general area of the building, you will have two completely different images. you know this.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
pssh I don’t know all sorts of stuff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

no it isn't! we went over this a few pages back. the only thing that affects perspective compression is the distance to the subject, and distance to the subject always changes the perspective effect. the wide angle lens does what it says on the box -- it lets you capture a wider angle of the scene. if you take a wide angle photo and crop in to the same angle of view as a long lens would have, the perspective will be identical to what you would get from using the long lens from the same location. but if you take a picture of a building with a 24mm lens from close up, then walk away and zoom in to 135mm and take a picture of the same general area of the building, you will have two completely different images. you know this.

President Beep posted:

pssh I don’t know all sorts of stuff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

no it’s not lol

you might end up capturing the same amount of building but it’ll be all perspectivy and gross

I want the image to be as orthographic as possible, for my purposes anyway

i mean, around 50mm full-frame is probably what you want then. i usually use something around that focal length when shooting architecture

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echi, if you’ve already gone over this then i missed it, but what’s the widest you currently shoot? i often use a 35mm prime an a zoom that goes down to 24mm and i don’t recall much in the way of troubling distortion. if you’re shooting with a crop sensor then it’d be even less likely that you’d experience weird edge effects.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

echi, if you’ve already gone over this then i missed it, but what’s the widest you currently shoot? i often use a 35mm prime an a zoom that goes down to 24mm and i don’t recall much in the way of troubling distortion. if you’re shooting with a crop sensor then it’d be even less likely that you’d experience weird edge effects.

It’s not really perspective distortion that I have a problem with it’s just perspective at all lol

at least in these shots. it’s not much of a factor when shooting things without straight lines like people but even then I am glad for the lack of it

while my 135mm isn’t the only lens I have it is the only lens I use

one day .. one day, when I personally feel it’s not doing everything I want it to, maybe then I’ll bring something else in

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cool, 135 is a focal length i’ve never intentionally used (i.e. I’ve probably hit it with my 70-200 zoom).

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i have used it on full frame before but afaik that's just a focal length that can't work with a prime on MFT (67.5)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

speaking of perspective compression, yesterday it was clear enough to see out to the farallon islands so i took some pics

400mm, but six photos stitched and then cropped back down. there's a LOT of resolution there. check out this lil guy

couldn't find any processing i was real happy with so i just did some dumb poo poo like desaturate everything except the reds. lol. anyway the compression of the houses down the road is neat

e: and the birds look like dirt specks ugh. oughta clone them out

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

looks like imgur recompressed it? that happened to me a few times too

i ended up using archive.org as a host became i don't care about copyright for stuff i post here, but it can be kinda slow (iirc echi hated it for this reason)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imgur will tear a png to shreds, best to save as jpeg yourself first, it doesn’t seem to re-encode jpegs

if that’s what anyone is doing

President Beep posted:

cool, 135 is a focal length i’ve never intentionally used (i.e. I’ve probably hit it with my 70-200 zoom).

it’s a Sigma 135mm ART and it’s actually EF mount on an adapter so it’s impressive the autofocus works as well as it does

I bought it on a whim when looking for a length suitable for portrait, I was looking at 85mm but I knew a lot of people who used that length, and the reviews were very favourable

but man am I ever pleased with it. when shooting portrait, I am still consistently impressed with how good it makes people look

just gotta remind myself to back away from time to time

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it seems to re-encode jpegs over a certain file size, but i can't for the life of me figure out what that exact criteria is

sometimes it will absolutely crush a well encoded 5 MB JPEG and sometimes it won't. it definitely modifies the file though because it strips out any exif data beyond timestamps. i like archive.org because you can upload literally whatever you want and hotlink it, but i recognize that it's slow outside the us

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

sigma is legit. i have their mc-11 adapter and it works well with almost every EF mount lens i have, even lenses from other 3rd party manufacturers. the only one it doesn’t work great with is my ef 50mm 1.8 stm.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

sigma has been great for a long time. i have some mid-80s sigma canon FD lenses that still perform well on MFT, but they're admittedly a bit slow compared to more modern options

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

(sigma balls)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

sigma has been great for a long time. i have some mid-80s sigma canon FD lenses that still perform well on MFT, but they're admittedly a bit slow compared to more modern options

that’s cool. I’ve shot minolta SR mount stuff for a while now and I’ve seen so much third party garbage from the 70s that I usually won’t touch any of it. apparently vivitar’s one series used to be pretty good but I’ve only ever seen zooms from that lineup and i do primes only for film.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh man i used some of the vivitar stuff on minolta a looong time ago lol. i remember it being pretty capable and since i was using it in high school, it must've been affordable

it certainly was durable at least, i remember being horrified at how some of the other kids were treating the equipment

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what do yall use to stitch stuff? i also have the same question wrt. focus stacking, exposure stacking, all that kinda fancy poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

for exposure stacking i like using hdrmerge, but it's a bit simplistic. ime photoshop and lightroom's functionality doesn't make very good photos. luminance hdr can work too but the results aren't as good either imo

i also used to use photomatix on mac os x, but i haven't tried it in probably 5 years now

e: for the other stuff i usually just do it manually in photoshop or some equivalent. i don't really do stitching or focus stacking often enough to automate it

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 27, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mentioned before learning to play camera on my parents' pentax back in the day. i ordered one - a k1000 - and it's the same model my folks had. i was talkin to them, and it turns out my mom had that camera before she met my dad

anyway, i got it from goodwill and it's freaking pristine. the exposure meter works perfectly after putting in a new battery. holy poo poo this is awesome. it came with 50mm and 135mm primes (both asahi). also has a (pentax) flash and leather pentax-branded bag. it came with the instructions for gods sake.

anyway im definitely gonna get some cheap 35mm film and play with it, i'm so stoked

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

re: software, thanks for the tips!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

i mentioned before learning to play camera on my parents' pentax back in the day. i ordered one - a k1000 - and it's the same model my folks had. i was talkin to them, and it turns out my mom had that camera before she met my dad

anyway, i got it from goodwill and it's freaking pristine. the exposure meter works perfectly after putting in a new battery. holy poo poo this is awesome. it came with 50mm and 135mm primes (both asahi). also has a (pentax) flash and leather pentax-branded bag. it came with the instructions for gods sake.

anyway im definitely gonna get some cheap 35mm film and play with it, i'm so stoked

asahi is pentax :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Technically from that era Pentax is the line of SLRs made by the Asahi Optical Company :spergin:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

some of my Q gear is labeled "ASAHI PENTAX CORPORATION" but some of it is labeled ricoh, guessing the acquisition happened somewhere in between

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

asahi is pentax :)

yeah i know, it says so rigjt on it :P

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the biggest complaint people have about my lens is that it’s heavy but imo just fuckin harden up

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

the biggest complaint people have about my lens is that it’s heavy but imo just fuckin harden up

get a monopod and wield that poo poo like gandalf the gray’s wizard staff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
end result is that I look like arnie in commando

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Reminder that you should print and frame your work

It makes a huge difference in how you look at it and is rad

Megabound fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 27, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Id have to think something I created was good for that, which will never happen.

that's a really nice use of framing to become part of the image and effect though.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 27, 2023

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Megabound posted:

Reminder that you should print and frame your work

It makes a huge difference in how you look at it and is rad

word. this is another one i did in the darkroom. I really need to get around to running off some of my digital stuff too.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

where do i get pictures printed well? presumably not, like, shutterfly?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

where do i get pictures printed well? presumably not, like, shutterfly?

a lot of sites (walgreens, shutterfly) will often give you smaller prints for free/cost of shipping

i like nations photo lab for big prints though. less annoying upsell bs and the site actually works instead of being 500 data harvesters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i have three 24"x36" framed prints from deviantart lol :buddy:

price was right