Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the NY "dual fuel" thing is 100% to hide oil production because it makes the DNC look bad. at best you could say they're too incompetent to know when the plants are burning oil or gas. lol what a bunch of shits.

the midwest loves wind and the hatred of "green" energy is culture war bullshit started by the DNC that we cant stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

they only have it because their richest oil baron said gently caress you im building wind farms on all my oil fields

which good for you t boone sorry you were also a crank

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah that's some bullshit. if you click it though it says "natural gas and/or fossil fuels"

e: lol comparing it to ERCOT in texas is a revelation https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards

50% wind? who knew

yeah surprisingly enough texas is a huge wind power producer

lol ercot’s website blocks all non-us IPs and i had to VPN to open their stupid site

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

they only have it because their richest oil baron said gently caress you im building wind farms on all my oil fields

which good for you t boone sorry you were also a crank

yeah fuckin wierd that this guy did something economically viable on land he owned. crazy.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol ercot’s website blocks all non-us IPs and i had to VPN to open their stupid site

lol of course they do. god forbid the dirty foreigners know the energy market conditions in texas

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

rolling coal on iphone

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
does anyone know a power bank that can fit in a laptop bag and run a new MBP 16" at 140W? I see some high wattage banks but they're all in form factors that won't fit in a Tumi

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the NY "dual fuel" thing is 100% to hide oil production because it makes the DNC look bad. at best you could say they're too incompetent to know when the plants are burning oil or gas. lol what a bunch of shits.

nah, part of the issue is that the Power Plant and Industrial Fuel Use Act requires natural gas plants to pretend they're duel fuel plants.

quote:

Title II of the Power Plant and Industrial Fuel Use Act of 1978 (FUA), as amended (42 U.S.C. 8301 et seq.), provides that no new baseload electric power plant may be constructed or operated without the capability to use coal or another alternate fuel as a primary energy source

broadly, 58% of capacity in New England is duel fuel, its not just a NY thing.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=37992

But they do use the oil burning capacity, mainly in the winter when natural gas gets expensive due to low supply

quote:

Weather can have a significant effect on both electricity and natural gas demand. During times when natural gas supply is constrained, particularly during the winter, some plants are forced to reduce their output, or shut down entirely, as individual fuel sources become unavailable. Plants with duel-fuel capability, however, are able to switch to a different fuel. The dual-fuel capability of natural gas-fired generators in the New England and New York regions has proven critically important for maintaining grid reliability, particularly during cold weather events that create increased demand for both natural gas and electricity.

The bomb cyclone event, which spanned from December 28, 2017, to January 8, 2018, highlighted the value of dual-fuel capability when unusually cold weather created additional demand for natural gas for heating which, in turn, reduced the availability of the fuel for electricity generation. During this event, several dual-fuel capable generators switched from natural gas to petroleum to continue generating electricity.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

also the eia today in energy blog is always a good read if you want some energy facts:

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shaggar posted:

the midwest loves wind and the hatred of "green" energy is culture war bullshit started by the DNC that we cant stop.

a yuge portion of olds actuallyy really do hate windmills, particularly in a certain area of florida

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

lol of course they do. god forbid the dirty foreigners know the energy market conditions in texas

it's probably the much simpler explanation that it's easier to just block foreign IPs than build a gdpr-compliant website

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Roosevelt posted:

a yuge portion of olds actuallyy really do hate windmills, particularly in a certain area of florida

let me guess tiny hands all tilting at them in mini golf

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
:qq: the homepod. the fuckin homepod :qq:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

nah, part of the issue is that the Power Plant and Industrial Fuel Use Act requires natural gas plants to pretend they're duel fuel plants.

But they do use the oil burning capacity, mainly in the winter when natural gas gets expensive due to low supply

PADD1A (and I guess B) are weird but that's where NY Harbor is so they get all the attention

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

rolling coal on iphone, that's our shaggar

There’s a coal power plant in Poland that produces more CO2 than all of Norway combined.

Nothing an individual does can make a dent in global warming. Not a single drat thing.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Endless Mike posted:

it's probably the much simpler explanation that it's easier to just block foreign IPs than build a gdpr-compliant website

it’s trivial to build a gdpr compliant website. just don’t collect data on identifiable individuals, done.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

are you suggesting shaggers boomer rant was...wrong?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Roosevelt posted:

i mean i hate the dutch too

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

how could ercot ever be prosecuted under an eu regulation? do they somehow have operations in europe?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

are you suggesting shaggers boomer rant was...wrong?

im right its just a federal lie, rather than a new york thing

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Soricidus posted:

it’s trivial to build a gdpr compliant website. just don’t collect data on identifiable individuals, done.

but but how am i supposed to feed the marketing creature fake numbers to justify their jobs??

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

how could ercot ever be prosecuted under an eu regulation? do they somehow have operations in europe?

the whole point of gdpr is that it is extraterritorial and eu doesn't give a poo poo that that the infringing party is not based in the eu

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they should simply hire your mom to handle all the extra loads

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the whole point of gdpr is that it is extraterritorial and eu doesn't give a poo poo that that the infringing party is not based in the eu

but what, is the eu going to seize ercot's European assets, are they sending French gendarmes to apprehend people in Austin, how do they enforce anything on ercot

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah, we all know the eu has their head way up their own rear end.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

but what, is the eu going to seize ercot's European assets, are they sending French gendarmes to apprehend people in Austin, how do they enforce anything on ercot

they sue in eu court. us courts will enforce foreign judgments unless there’s like a treaty or a constitutional issue, this isn’t china

that said i expect some court will eventually rule that there is a chilling effect issue with enforcing gdpr on a website simply because it has had a european visitor at some point in its history and that the eu needs some stronger nexus of association like an account or a financial transaction

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
It would be insane if a us court were to enforce an EU judgement against a company/entity with absolutely no presence in the EU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
to be fair, the problem is solved perfectly by preventing anyone in the EU from accessing your website.

you're not doing business with them, and they can't engage with your service in a way that would be counter to eu laws or regulations, easy peasy problem solved.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

what is going on with the airpods max? i should probably just buy another pair of over the ears but the long lead time on airpods max has me waiting to see if apple announces a new version.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

to be fair, the problem is solved perfectly by preventing anyone in the EU from accessing your website.

you're not doing business with them, and they can't engage with your service in a way that would be counter to eu laws or regulations, easy peasy problem solved.

if you bypass the geoip block texas will issue a warrant for your arrest for doing a computer terrorism

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

what is going on with the airpods max? i should probably just buy another pair of over the ears but the long lead time on airpods max has me waiting to see if apple announces a new version.

there's gonna be a new one in the next two years but :shrug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

if you bypass the geoip block texas will issue a warrant for your arrest for doing a computer terrorism

imo this is a fair game. the republic of latvia accepts the nap terms from the ercot

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

It would be insane if a us court were to enforce an EU judgement against a company/entity with absolutely no presence in the EU

it’s real, and it’s spectacular

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

infernal machines posted:

isn’t it all eu people whether or not they’re visiting from within the eu

like if a french guy visits the washington post while on vacation in new york then

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it’s real, and it’s spectacular

what are some examples of it happening?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

like if a french guy visits the washington post while on vacation in new york then

yes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

what are some examples of it happening?

no idea, i just wanted to make a Seinfeld reference

google turns up this and this from shaggers favorite state

edit: lol had a musk link in my copy buffer

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 27, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

yeah i mean this kind of stuff just seems ridiculous as a question of law. if lichtenstein wants to pass a law saying that foreigners have to be nice to any lichtenstani who visit their country, they can do that, but foreign courts are not going to enforce that poo poo. i don’t understand how that principle somehow doesn’t apply when a computer network is involved

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

no idea, i just wanted to make a Seinfeld reference

google turns up this and this from shaggers favorite state

edit: lol had a musk link in my copy buffer

right but that’s not a case of enforcing a judgement on an entity that had nothing to do with the foreign state that sued them, it very specifically hinged on the technicality of “you represented yourself in court against them, so you accepted their jurisdiction over you”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
if you're curious what the demonym for liechtenstein is, it's liechtensteiner