Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

burning swine posted:

for example, teams isn't supported on ltsc

I don't see this as a problem

don't threaten me with a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

ltsc v. 21H2 is supported until 2027 you know
just sayin'

1809 goes to 2029

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

To deliver on the commitment of no changes to features or functionality, a Windows 10 LTSC release does not contain any of the components of Windows 10 that may change over the life of the release.

Internet Explorer is included in Windows 10 LTSC releases as its feature set is not changing, even though it will continue to get security fixes for the life of a Windows 10 LTSC release.

wow i had no idea that part of microsoft was 1. still shipping internet explorer 2. committing to continue supporting internet explorer for a decade

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Imagine being on the Internet explorer security fix team in tyool 2023. Lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the microsoft equivalent of being stationed in siberia

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Internet Explorer is just a shell over MSHTML which is the core windows internal html renderer so its pretty much impossible to remove. I imagine they'll switch to webview2 which is the edge renderer in windows 11 and later.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

unfortunately designing a good operating system is at odds with shareholder needs

an operating system cannot be good

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

git apologist posted:

an operating system cannot be good

yours, specifically

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Imagine being on the Internet explorer security fix team in tyool 2023. Lmao

sounds like a chill job where you can hang out and basically do nothing until 2030 :kiddo:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, the rooftop guys

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

rest and vest

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i love that the default behaviour for "recommended" bundleware poo poo modern apps is to immediately re-install them if they've been removed.

good job microsoft, that's definitely what the user intended when they manually removed the app.

also excellent design: the three stage click through begging you to check out edge if you try to use anything else for one of its defaults. if i'm in preferences, apps, default apps, select defaults by app, and i've selected an app and i'm choosing the file type i want to change the default for, why are you popping up a prompt asking what app i'd like to use? what the gently caress do you think i've gone though this process to do exactly? what part of this is ambiguous and requires yet another prompt?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the thing that is most apparent in pretty much every microsoft product these days is an overt contempt for the user.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

idk about contempt. i quite like edge (well, best out of a bad set of choices for my use case) but it's existence and it's attitude towards getting you to use it and a lot of its dumber features reeks of pathetic desperation.

which is honestly worse.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yes but linux required me to manually configure a driver once so next to that what is a little bit of wilfully-hostile indignity really

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

yes but linux required me to manually configure a driver once so next to that what is a little bit of wilfully-hostile indignity really

what do you mean I need to recompile the kernel to use my network adapter? gently caress it I'm just going back to windows with the default browser

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

?? what does that have to do with anything, i primarily use edge, complete with snivelling, on linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh, that was in response to the posts above yours sorry

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

oh, that was in response to the posts above yours sorry

i know i know, just think the state of the os wars in 2023 remains very funny. at work all linux with a bunch of microsoft user land, at home windows with a bunch of linux userland (in the shape of wsl)

all annoying but needs-suiting

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

i think the thing that is most apparent in pretty much every microsoft product these days is an overt contempt for the user.
are you saying that microsofts users dont deserve to be treated with overt contempt?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

linux is also rife with poo poo design that is overtly user hostile, for entirely different reasons

it's not wasting any less of my time, it's just doing it because this is literally the best they can do

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

linux is also rife with poo poo design that is overtly user hostile, for entirely different reasons

it's not wasting any less of my time, it's just doing it because this is literally the best they can do

eh, i don't fully agree there, there's definitely some naked contempt for users in linux too (a generality being gnome having some bits where it assumes users too dumb for things that really aren't complex).

it's all bad.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there is a difference between malicious and misguided and while i'm at it gently caress hanlon's razor as well by the way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

(a generality being gnome having some bits where it assumes users too dumb for things that really aren't complex).

it's all bad.

oh yeah, there's that too, but they're not doing it to funnel you into subscription services

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

there is a difference between malicious and misguided and while i'm at it gently caress hanlon's razor as well by the way

even as a person who uses microsoft products by choice, i'm going to strongly suggest that you do not try to gently caress a razor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

microsoft's ux strategy of "jam toasts and notifications in the user's face that can't be trivially closed without engaging the tutorial process" is certainly a fun and well considered solution to the the problem of "we've rearranged the entire UI including all the commonly used features for the third time this quarter and people are getting mad"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
osx/macos ain't perfect but the fact they've kept usability pretty standard for so long is a huge plus

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

microsoft's ux strategy of "jam toasts and notifications in the user's face that can't be trivially closed without engaging the tutorial process" is certainly a fun and well considered solution to the the problem of "we've rearranged the entire UI including all the commonly used features for the third time this quarter and people are getting mad"
Got It!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's not even the fact that the advertising integrated into the operating system pisses on my face so often and this is just accepted as a normal thing now that pisses me off, it's the fact that the ui text is just so loving chummy these days. But unfortunately that is not a problem limited to just Microsoft.

Wait I'm lying the advertising absolutely pisses me off too. Which is why I Installed Linux when I built my new PC out of amd parts a year ago.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

heya bud, we're just getting things set up for you here and we've got some questions to make sure we get it right

*15 options for choosing how invasive their analytics and tracking should be and a mandatory online service sign in*

oops, looks like you accidentally deselected the colo-rectal scan option, we'll just turn that back on for you during the next update

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i loved the six-month period where oobe had cortana start talking at full volume the minute you started the process and the way to mute it was by clicking the microphone icon rather than the speaker icon

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

heya bud, we're just getting things set up for you here and we've got some questions to make sure we get it right

*15 options for choosing how invasive their analytics and tracking should be and a mandatory online service sign in*

oops, looks like you accidentally deselected the colo-rectal scan option, we'll just turn that back on for you during the next update

My wife's machine just updated itself to Win11 despite months and months of refusing and turning it off.
I'm assuming that one of us clicked the wrong pixel in a dark pattern pop-up, but still.
(serves me right for not doing hunting down whatever registry key is required to permanently refuse it)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fun fact, if you use the "target version" windows update registry key in windows 10 and there is a windows 11 build with the same name (say 22h1) it will very happily install windows 11 anyway, and then never update past that build as long as the key is present

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i loved the six-month period where oobe had cortana start talking at full volume the minute you started the process and the way to mute it was by clicking the microphone icon rather than the speaker icon

lmao i remember that, good times

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

microsoft peaked with windows 8 when they hid the shutdown button so well that users had to google how to turn off their computer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that is the opposite of a ux strategy, just everyone in their own silo making their own stuff and nobody in the org with the authority to make them stop

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I have a new windows 11 machine at home and it sucks. can’t believe I had to use a registry command to get the old context menu back. that new one is awful.

also if I have a folder with videos In it, windows explorer has to like index it each time I load it. the file names all disappear and then slowly reappear one by one. terrible.

hmm let’s see, what else… oh yeah the start menu and it’s recommendations is probably the worst iteration of the windows start menu I’ve seen.

at least the Lock Screen with the photo background now has text that reads “like the image you see?” instead of just “like what you see?” which sounded sleazy and gross. still think it could probably be shortened to “like this photo?” like a normal person might ask.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

hmm let’s see, what else… oh yeah the start menu and it’s recommendations is probably the worst iteration of the windows start menu I’ve seen.

maintaining a long streak

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Last Chance posted:

well good news! they just added their chatgpt engine to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ugh gently caress all the way off