Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I'm offended that despite having multiple overlapping subscription services I can't watch:
"Super Best Friends" (Season 5)
"Cartoon Wars" Part I (Season 10)
"Cartoon Wars" Part II (Season 10)
"200" (Season 14)
"201"(Season 14)
I don't even have the ability to be outraged by them, since I can barely remember them at this point, which would be almost a full season's worth of shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

are there any episodes you actually do like?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, I guess this is as good of a time as any to say I'm not a fan of how "Cripple Fight" has Big Gay Al turn to the camera and say that private organizations should be allowed to discriminate against minorities.

Lol that episode just aired on CC.

Literally, from 12:30 to 1:00am.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well, I guess this is as good of a time as any to say I'm not a fan of how "Cripple Fight" has Big Gay Al turn to the camera and say that private organizations should be allowed to discriminate against minorities.

Yea, it would be a bad take if they had that message in 2023. It's not really that bad of a message for when the episode aired in 2001 though! World has progressed rapidly in the last 20 years or so. It wasn't even until 2020 when the supreme court ruled that private companies actually couldn't discriminate for sexual orientation.

Definitely far worse takes on sexuality from other shows in the early 2000s! Just a month prior to Cripple Fight was the Friends episode with Chandler's Dad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, it would be a bad take if they had that message in 2023. It's not really that bad of a message for when the episode aired in 2001 though!

I don't follow, why was it okay for private organisations to discriminate against minorities in 2001?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I hate when people can't take a joke. Lighten up dammit

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

The point of Al's speech is that orgs shouldn't discriminate because it's the right thing to do and not simply because they're forced to. If they're just doing it under threat of being put into stocks then you haven't done enough to convince them your side is just.

Now I can see how this sentiment would be lost on D&D posting phychopaths who think nazis will recant their evil ways the instant you punch them hard enough, but here in TVIV we believe in tegrity..

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Randy heads to the hardware store to buy a new toilet in the all-new episode, titled “Japanese Toilets” premiering Wednesday, March 1 at 10/9c on Comedy Central.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l8ujWSqj94

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Stuffguyman posted:

The point of Al's speech is that orgs shouldn't discriminate because it's the right thing to do and not simply because they're forced to. If they're just doing it under threat of being put into stocks then you haven't done enough to convince them your side is just.

Now I can see how this sentiment would be lost on D&D posting phychopaths who think nazis will recant their evil ways the instant you punch them hard enough, but here in TVIV we believe in tegrity..

It's essentially the same idea as "Vote or Die". Forcing people to act a certain way, although it might seem like it creates a better situation, doesn't actually address the issue or create lasting change.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Stuffguyman posted:

PaybackJack posted:

It's essentially the same idea as "Vote or Die". Forcing people to act a certain way, although it might seem like it creates a better situation, doesn't actually address the issue or create lasting change.

Right, and I fundamentally disagree with that line of thinking because it protects the rights of bigots in positions of power and allows them to continue to use their power to harm others while simultaneously letting the rights of vulnerable people without power be violated.

As nice as it would be if we could always just talk people out of being hateful sometimes that doesn't work and we need to pass laws that prevent them from putting their hate into practice. Maybe they'll come around, maybe they won't, but they still shouldn't be allowed to fire someone for being gay while they work through whatever issues led to them being homophonic.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Let's just stop having laws. Everybody will self-govern and it'll be a paradise!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the people in power are wrong and shouldn't have control over the way people act or think.

i, on the other hand, am right. and therefore my opinion about how people should act and think is what should actually be enforced.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ShoogaSlim posted:

the people in power are wrong and shouldn't have control over the way people act or think.

i, on the other hand, am right. and therefore my opinion about how people should act and think is what should actually be enforced.

Yes?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

south park is the best show of all time bc it points out the absurdity of people who treat societal issues like team sports lol. y'all are loving hopeless and insufferable. why are you in this thread again anyway?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Let's just stop having laws. Everybody will self-govern and it'll be a paradise!

Matt and Trey are avowed libertarians so this is literally what they believe.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

McSpanky posted:

Matt and Trey are avowed libertarians so this is literally what they believe.

Do they have any Roilandesque tirades about the arbitrary nature of age of consent by any chance? Just how libertarian are they?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dude it's okay to admit that a political opinion hastily written in 6 days for a fart joke cartoon 20 years ago might not hold up to scrutiny today. Being able to admit that is the opposite of taking it too seriously.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ShoogaSlim posted:

south park is the best show of all time bc it points out the absurdity of people who treat societal issues like team sports lol. y'all are loving hopeless and insufferable. why are you in this thread again anyway?

I think Sunny may have passed it. Why? Well, Sunny has had 1 sub par covid season. South Park hasn't been great in almost 10 years now. 2015 was the last good season, IIRC. It may have been 2014. That's a long time for a hall of famer to keep hanging on.

There is the argument that once the legacy is established, the bad stuff that comes after doesn't matter. My response is look at the Simpsons which hasn't been good in 20 years.

If South Park had ended 10 years ago, it's legacy is very different than the fact they are still churning stuff out but aren't particularly inspired most of the time. Something something, really hard to produce quality content in 6 days.

I haven't seen anything from this season yet cuz I can't be arsed to pirate, gently caress paying cable companies and I don't have paramount at the moment. From the comments it looks like it has been decent but basically more of the same since they lost it.

And back to your argument about pointing out the absurdity of people blah blah. That's Sunny, as well.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

sunny and south park are both sitting way high above any other comedy

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Maybe South Park should have an episode where a character is too poor or cheap to watch a television show without stealing it, and is even too lazy to do that, but talks mad poo poo about it anyway.

Not that criticism isn’t somewhat valid, but someone who would admit to such things is a clown.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You don’t need to pirate South Park. They upload the episodes on their site for free still.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Danzel Glovington posted:

Do they have any Roilandesque tirades about the arbitrary nature of age of consent by any chance? Just how libertarian are they?

If you take Chef's word as theirs, 17.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylkHE1k64gs

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

LividLiquid posted:

I also, ultimately, agree. While the base case scenario would be to educate and enlighten people so that they have the knowledge and experience so that the can make better choices, sometimes, as with things like mask laws or anti-discrimination policies, it's best to just do it at gunpoint, so to speak.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

isn't it like unanimously agreed that mask mandates did little to nothing to help reduce the spread of covid? and you're arguing in favor of them being enforced on the same level of severity as anti discrimination?

jesus christ what is this thread lol

also i'm wilfully happily vaccinated before you try and use that argument against what i'm saying here.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

isn't it like unanimously agreed that mask mandates did little to nothing to help reduce the spread of covid? and you're arguing in favor of them being enforced on the same level of severity as anti discrimination?

also i'm wilfully happily vaccinated before you try and use that argument against what i'm saying here.

I live in a country where the mask mandates helped keep everyone safe through two pandemics. Sorry that wasn't the case in your country but it worked in mine.

Also

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ShoogaSlim posted:

isn't it like unanimously agreed that mask mandates did little to nothing to help reduce the spread of covid?

Not in the slightest.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Lol just gonna keep digging huh

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

isn't it like unanimously agreed that mask mandates did little to nothing to help reduce the spread of covid?

it's not

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ShoogaSlim posted:

That is accurate if you get your facts from Fox News.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Lol it’s like you’re a loving hot take machine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ShoogaSlim posted:

No, it's agreed that a ton of Americans are assholes that can't do anything to protect themselves or others if it slightly inconveniences them.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
never mind I forgot I already made this post

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm

cdc posted:

Face masks or respirators (N95/KN95s) effectively filter virus-sized particles in laboratory settings. The real-world effectiveness of face coverings to prevent acquisition of SARS-CoV-2 infection has not been widely studied.

cdc posted:

The findings in this report are subject to at least eight limitations. First, this study did not account for other preventive behaviors that could influence risk for acquiring infection, including adherence to physical distancing recommendations. In addition, generalizability of this study is limited to persons seeking SARS-CoV-2 testing and who were willing to participate in a telephone interview, who might otherwise exercise other protective behaviors

if you're the kind of person who wore a mask everywhere, you were also likely to take other preventative measures that wound up steering you clear of covid.

i wore my mask everywhere i went like a good citizen and followed the rules and looked down on the smoothbrains that wore it under their nose or around their chin. i'm not calling for riots against masks screaming "i can't breathe" or anything.

i just think it's loving absurd to suggest that mask mandates are as serious as telling a company not to fire someone for being gay. the two are not equal at all.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

a Vanderbilt University study found, outside a laboratory, that counties with mask mandates had half as many COVID-19 deaths https://archive.is/JGYFM

The article itself notes "However, not all of this difference can be attributed exclusively to masks. In counties with mask mandates, residents may be taking more care to protect themselves with hand washing and social distancing, which would contribute to a lower death rate independent of the mask mandate." However, there was this study from Duke University on individual mask effectiveness
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/us/duke-university-face-mask-test-trnd/index.html
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abd3083
with something similar demonstrated informally here https://archive.is/3ULwN

Without masks, COVID-19 particles fly more than 13 feet https://nypost.com/2020/04/12/the-coronavirus-can-travel-at-least-13-feet-new-study-shows/ or at least 26 feet http://web.archive.org/web/20200827231730/https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200827/covid-and-social-distancing-is-6-feet-enough but less than six feet with the mask https://phys.org/news/2020-12-masks-covid-distancing.html

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 28, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

I also, ultimately, agree. While the base case scenario would be to educate and enlighten people so that they have the knowledge and experience so that the can make better choices, sometimes, as with things like mask laws or anti-discrimination policies, it's best to just do it at gunpoint, so to speak.
Cool! I was educated not to kick you in the junk, so it's nice knowing I get to make the informed choice to do it anyway, since forcing me not to would be against your ethos.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm

if you're the kind of person who wore a mask everywhere, you were also likely to take other preventative measures that wound up steering you clear of covid.

i wore my mask everywhere i went like a good citizen and followed the rules and looked down on the smoothbrains that wore it under their nose or around their chin. i'm not calling for riots against masks screaming "i can't breathe" or anything.

i just think it's loving absurd to suggest that mask mandates are as serious as telling a company not to fire someone for being gay. the two are not equal at all.

Lmao. Literally the second paragraph of the link you posted, titled “summary” disproves your point.

CDC.gov posted:

What is added by this report?

Consistent use of a face mask or respirator in indoor public settings was associated with lower odds of a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result (adjusted odds ratio = 0.44). Use of respirators with higher filtration capacity was associated with the most protection, compared with no mask use.

Mask mandates failed to stop the spread because Americans that had risky behavior ignored the mask mandates. And the people tasked with enforcing the mask mandates (cops) were some of the worst offenders and refused to enforce them.

Mask mandates failed not because they don’t work, they failed because the population didn’t give a poo poo and there was no enforcement.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

should you be put in jail if you weren't wearing a mask at the height of the pandemic? should you still be put in jail if you don't wear one? should the punishment be more or less severe if you are or aren't vaccinated? does it matter if you're in a public park or a library or a grocery store or at yellowstone national forest?

would you call the cops on someone not wearing a mask in a grocery store if you knew with 100% certainty the cops would come rushing in to fine the person? to arrest them? what if they were eldery? or a POC? or trans?

the problem with this "we're doing this for your own good" bullshit is people who believe in it don't really have a concrete way of how it should be handled and almost certainly would not bother doing anything about it on their own. this is why there's so much criticism around wanting the state to step in and hold people's hands behind their back.

if the general population doesn't give a poo poo, why force them to do something they don't want to do? for the benefit of who? you, the forums poster who is trying to prove a point in a thread about a cartoon?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That is some incredible and hilarious twisting of the narrative and whataboutism in order to justify your point. Why are you even bring trans people or people of color into the conversation?

The solution is literally the one that all of the mask mandates put in place, that the police by and large refused to enforce. If a cop sees someone without a mask in a place they’re supposed to have one, they write the person (regardless of their gender or race you loving knob) a ticket.

And if a business allows no masks when they’re supposed to enforce masks, guess what happens? They pay a fine! Regardless of if it’s a woman owned business or not.

And fines that are not paid result in late fees, additional fines, and potentially garnishment. Just like any other ticket for jumping the turnstiles on the subway. No one is calling the cops. No one is going to do poo poo. But if it’s enforced people will listen. Just like speeding tickets or red light camera tickets.

Saying you’re happily vaccinated doesn’t stop you from being an anti-mask idiot when you spout the same dumb bullshit they all do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
America! gently caress yeah!