Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i still disagree with this, is it useful? no. will it make microsoft money? no. will it drive google to do something insane? yes, probably. will it harm microsoft share prices? probably not.

and i think that sums to a great opportunity from microsofts perspective.

plus it'll likely keep being funny in various ways.

well, okay, so in what sense does it work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
just as google has shown a willingness to allow their search to degrade and sacrificed its user experience in a million tiny cash-grabs, microsoft has allowed their OS to become creakier, tackier, and constantly mounded with more undesirable features that everybody has to re-disable every time they apply updates. eventually this will catch up with them, but both companies have so much inertia that it'll probably take a decade past their fatal misstep to actually die

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

well, okay, so in what sense does it work?

by causing google to gently caress their one thing up

e: to be clear, very specifically responding to this:

Beeftweeter posted:

ugh, why

they already know it doesn't work

which suggests that the way it has worked out has been a disappointment to microsoft, which i don't think is the case.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 28, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

by causing google to gently caress their one thing up

e: to be clear, very specifically responding to this:

which suggests that the way it has worked out has been a disappointment to microsoft, which i don't think is the case.

i mean, if anything, google just doesn't have to do anything at all to appear more competent than microsoft right now. the bing ai failures are extremely public, they've tried to defend it, nerf it, tweak it — but it's still quite bad

of course google product managers will see it as an existential threat and it might cause them to make search even worse somehow, but they don't need to

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

of course google product managers will see it as an existential threat and it might cause them to make search even worse somehow, but they don't need to

has not needing a chat app ever stopped them?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Internet Janitor posted:

just as google has shown a willingness to allow their search to degrade and sacrificed its user experience in a million tiny cash-grabs, microsoft has allowed their OS to become creakier, tackier, and constantly mounded with more undesirable features that everybody has to re-disable every time they apply updates. eventually this will catch up with them, but both companies have so much inertia that it'll probably take a decade past their fatal misstep to actually die

microsoft seems to learn from failures like this more than google, or at least they used to

when the backlash to windows 8 was in full swing, the result was windows 10. it has flaws, but it's not that bad

windows 11 is really, really bad. they're responding by making it even worse. this is the google roadmap

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

has not needing a chat app ever stopped them?

i think you will find that google does not have enough chat apps

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Get ready to be amazed! From the company that brought you Clippy and Hot Dog Stand theme comes another earth-shattering product: Tay for Taskbar!

Ask it anything and it will explain in excruciating detail how Hitler was right and (((THOSE))) people should actually die.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, if anything, google just doesn't have to do anything at all to appear more competent than microsoft right now. the bing ai failures are extremely public, they've tried to defend it, nerf it, tweak it — but it's still quite bad

that is true, well, trueish. i think the press for new bing is failing in a way which in most peoples mind will read as "unhinged but obviously advanced", which is immediately much better than current bing mindshare of "the bad google", and at minimum will drive people to try it.

but you are 100% correct that the clever thing for google to do is nothing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

refleks posted:

Get ready to be amazed! From the company that brought you Clippy and Hot Dog Stand theme comes another earth-shattering product: Tay for Taskbar!

Ask it anything and it will explain in excruciating detail how Hitler was right and (((THOSE))) people should actually die.

at least we can finally have sex with cortana just like in my fanfictions

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bing went from "what if you wanted google to return more scams?" to "at least as good as google" without any significant changes on microsoft's part, so i think you're right, and this is a winning strategy for them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

at least we can finally have sex with cortana just like in my fanfictions

no, that's the thing, it's not cortana. they stopped using the name of the video game ai character with toes that went rampant in the stories.

idk if the branding change really had that in mind, but considering the performance of the current gpt powered stuff, it's a real shame

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that is true, well, trueish. i think the press for new bing is failing in a way which in most peoples mind will read as "unhinged but obviously advanced", which is immediately much better than current bing mindshare of "the bad google", and at minimum will drive people to try it.

but you are 100% correct that the clever thing for google to do is nothing

yeah, the other natural language models (i think google's is called lamda?) aren't getting a ton of press, and i haven't played with it myself, but it's clearly something they have been working on

but i think that it's not well known is telling. it's probably not ready. GPT seems sophisticated to a normie observer, but most of us know (if only at a high level) how the "magic" works. it's definitely impressive, but it's not magical, and it's certainly not self-aware. it's obviously not suited to most of the tasks people want it to do, because they have no idea what it's capable of. they just assume the magic computer can do everything now

imo openai benefited from GPT's debut happening around the same time image processing models started to proliferate. they are visually impressive (again to a "regular" observer) but they suffer from what is essentially the same problem: they are convincing at a glance, but upon examination the illusion completely falls apart

people in awe of them just need to think a little more imo

(this started out as a specific reply and then veered into a rant, but gently caress it lol)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cortana was such a classic microsoft move, where the left hand has no idea that the right hand even exists. name your assistant after a character that's evil in the current game and then dead in the next. lmao.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

was it satya that came in and killed it off? in my mind it was tied up with the windows phone saga.

very wise, even with my loose interpretation of success used here that particular thing was going nowhere

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

halo was extremely popular at the time, even people not really versed in the game lore knew what it was

that doesn't make it good branding or even a good name, but it was an existing microsoft property with existing cachet. that's all that matters, really

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think Cortana was also just a pretty good name for a voice assistant in terms of sounding good and being fairly unique (ignoring the fact that adding a voice assistant to windows was dumb)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

i still disagree with this, is it useful? no. will it make microsoft money? no. will it drive google to do something insane? yes, probably. will it harm microsoft share prices? probably not.

and i think that sums to a great opportunity from microsofts perspective.

plus it'll likely keep being funny in various ways.
satya just mashing the "betray" button as fast as possible while grinning like a mad man

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

it is getting to the point though where i do wonder how much loving electricity they are spending on this. inference is not cheap.

Melting ice caps to make 2+2=5 and write real estate ads :rock:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

very appropriate that in 2023 the man behind the curtain is a sociopath that has no idea what it's talking about

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

techbubble.txt

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Beeftweeter posted:

very appropriate that in 2023 the man behind the curtain is a sociopath that has no idea what it's talking about

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Buck Turgidson posted:

yeah, as noted i mostly find this funny, i don't think the flaws in the thing will actually cause much harm (prepared to be wrong for sure), but as resource use it is a massive waste

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

the parallels between GPT and NFTs run deep:

• superficially innovative
  • fundamentally flawed and limited if you understand how it works
  • disingenuously pitched as helping creatives
  • in reality preys upon the existing work of creatives to the benefit of sociopaths
  • companies that should know better tripping over each other to ram it into their product line
  • highly energy-intensive and wasteful
  • most applications are spam, scams, or both
  • vcs, ceos and talking heads absolutely obsessed with the buzzword and utterly uninterested in the details or capabilities

etc, etc

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

the parallels between GPT and NFTs run deep:

• superficially innovative
  • fundamentally flawed and limited if you understand how it works
  • disingenuously pitched as helping creatives
  • in reality preys upon the existing work of creatives to the benefit of sociopaths
  • companies that should know better tripping over each other to ram it into their product line
  • highly energy-intensive and wasteful
  • most applications are spam, scams, or both
  • vcs, ceos and talking heads absolutely obsessed with the buzzword and utterly uninterested in the details or capabilities

etc, etc

as used in high-profile tech demos yeah, but transformer architectures (the 't' and only really important letter in the gpt abbreviation) absolutely do real things, where nft's 100% do not. machine translation has improved vastly, to name one thing already in everyone's hands.

watching them incoherently babble at people is just a really misleading lens to view them through.

and where the "this is fine and funny actually" about microsoft shoving the tech demo in everywhere is mostly shitposting i do literally and genuinely believe in that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i sent out emails to the 7 sydneys, sidneys, etc i know givin em condolences cuz a tech major jacked their name, like the 2 or 3 alexas i know

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i have heard from people who i would not immediately dismiss as idiots or cranks at large companies saying theyre letting chatgpt-like machines write their unit tests. Anyone seen this irl?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

rotor posted:

i have heard from people who i would not immediately dismiss as idiots or cranks at large companies saying theyre letting chatgpt-like machines write their unit tests.

I mean, you should if they're doing that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i sent out emails to the 7 sydneys, sidneys, etc i know givin em condolences cuz a tech major jacked their name, like the 2 or 3 alexas i know

cringe

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

i have heard from people who i would not immediately dismiss as idiots or cranks at large companies saying theyre letting chatgpt-like machines write their unit tests. Anyone seen this irl?

i don't really do coding stuff much these days (or at least i'm trying my hardest not to get sucked back in there lol) but i have heard the same thing, though i have no experience with it

imo: this kind of stuff suffers the same problems as it would spitting out a paragraph of analysis. it might superficially seem correct (or it may actually be correct), but you can't trust it. this is probably a slippery slope

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol yeah

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

https://twitter.com/ThePrimeagen/status/1628047727866126336?s=20

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.statista.com/chart/13907/babies-named-alexa/

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

language models might be a useful supplement to normal tests in some situations (fuzzing) but if you're using them as an alternative to writing normal tests it sounds like you don't understand language models or tests

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it'll be whack-a-mole with the names until they consolidate on giving them weirdo names that peeps don't give their kids like cortana

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol and now alexa is dead

wonder how fast there will be a rebound (if any), i can't imagine why people will be nostalgic for a "smart" speaker

but i'm certain it will happen because of course it will

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean siri did just suggest i might want to do a search on google maps, so assistants still do have a role. i didn't, but, you know, maps sure are a thing.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

rotor posted:

i have heard from people who i would not immediately dismiss as idiots or cranks at large companies saying theyre letting chatgpt-like machines write their unit tests.
Talking loudly how you're actually replacing human labor right now, pinky swear, is a good move for a publicly traded company. You don't even have to fire anybody because no one's going to check, they just see AI and mash BUY. The Long Island Blockchain Tea for a new era

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

imo assistants can be helpful, but that's usually when using it for functionality that's available locally (i.e. setting timers, making initial calendar entries, stuff like that)

i'm not sure if it's because of api limitations or because they are not that sophisticated, but ime generally any sort of extended functionality just does not work well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

lol and now alexa is dead

naturally, microsoft is bundling alexa with new windows installs, today. on the same os that still ships with cortana. and now has sidney under the hood as well.