Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Bloody posted:

where do i get pictures printed well? presumably not, like, shutterfly?

i've had photos (not mine lol) done at shutterfly and the results were always good :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i got some stuff printed via amazon photos a couple times because it was free and the results were really not too bad. from what i've read most of the print services are pretty similar in quality

that said i usually do prints at a university lab because mrs still has access and i can completely control the result

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I was happy with mpix in the past

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I found my photos I got printed much darker than on screen which isn’t an issue per se just need to do a trial run with smaller cheaper print and adjust to taste

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

I found my photos I got printed much darker than on screen which isn’t an issue per se just need to do a trial run with smaller cheaper print and adjust to taste

they are automatically adjusting the contrast because yours are typically very washed out

you need to set an actual black point to avoid this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

like think of it this way: a typical contrast range is 0-255, with 0 being black and white being 255

if you compress that range to something like 15-200, of course it's going to look weird when it's printed

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

backlit images are always going to appear a bit brighter than a print

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

they are automatically adjusting the contrast because yours are typically very washed out

you need to set an actual black point to avoid this

nah it’s even from when before I used to improve the contrast and including printing rodtronics stuff etc

it’s this:

bellows lugosi posted:

backlit images are always going to appear a bit brighter than a print

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

In saying that you also need to work with your printer to get what you want out of it. Your screen is certainly not calibrated to your printers settings so if you're doing fine art you need to put in some effort.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Megabound posted:

you need to put in some effort.

im gonna stop you right there

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i was worried for a second

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is a photo I took in 2008

its unremarkable. as are most of the photos I took then.

I had one of those HORRIBLE kit lenses that go from lke 18-50 or something. that lens is so poo poo, I cna easily imagine a lot of people buying one of those eos 700,000D with that lens, and being nothing but disappointed with the results. I am sure that lens has actually turned more people off real photography more than anything

I was lucky enough to buy mine second hand because it came with a 55-200 and even though at 200 its at like f/5.6 at least you start to get a taste of the compression and take photos that look real "real photography"

this is a photo of a national politician, so I don't feel weird sharing it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Peters

I took this on that same camera at 200mm

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 28, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
can't decide if i want to get a 100mm macro to replace my broken 100mm macro or a 70-200mm f2.8 to cover 100mm and also the rest of a pretty nice range for hiking. i don't shoot that much macro, but it is a lot of fun when i do

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
my research from the lens' respective flickr groups is that while both take good dog photos, the macro is most used for pictures of insects and of matches being lit and the 70-200 for pictures of trains and of women's arses

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

my research from the lens' respective flickr groups is that while both take good dog photos, the macro is most used for pictures of insects and of matches being lit and the 70-200 for pictures of trains and of women's arses
what if you like all those things though

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
well now you see why i can't decide

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if only there were one lens perfect for frogs and pawgs

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i have three 24"x36" framed prints from deviantart lol :buddy:

price was right

holy poo poo.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
never tried it here at home but when we were in the uk over christmas i made some prints at boots using their little self service kiosk and they came out nicely. they also sell ilford film there which owns.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

President Beep posted:

holy poo poo.

i got the sizes wrong but it was $222 in 2014 for two 20x30" framed prints and a 16x40" framed print, delivered

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

wanna bracket and stack some exposures of that elephant

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

photographer uses Patience on Elephant

It's not very effective...

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

photographer uses Patience on Elephant

It's not very effective...

Normally I just use elephant tranquilizers to get a good night's sleep, but today I have my camera out.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i love a good sleepy cat.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
:3:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

i love a good sleepy cat.

a good cat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked the sky here, and of course this kind of thing never looks as good as it does in real life

but can't help but feel there are some nice colours and gradients to pull out of it

I was trying some circular masks with lots of feathering to try to get all the ranges of colours that come out when exposure changes

anyway. photos. god the darker black looks awful next to the raised blacks

https://mega.nz/file/jdonnZjR#E5OswRXY0z3OK5l3dBWMvlhpn9btfM367vvTKQ6r8b8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

very apPIERing picture echi

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/-fQGPZTECYs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo I love this guys aesthetic

I know it’s overdone for the rest of you mfs but spose that’s the glorious beauty of subjectivity

one day I’ll have the guts to remove half the picture

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

echinopsis posted:

poo poo I love this guys aesthetic

I know it’s overdone for the rest of you mfs but spose that’s the glorious beauty of subjectivity

one day I’ll have the guts to remove half the picture

what should we call this, mavicacore?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

qirex posted:

he wishes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i feel like this would be better if you adjusted the luminosity curve so that more details underneath the dock were visible. looks like a gray void

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

qirex posted:

"film" shooters stop taking pictures of brake lights challenge 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

i feel like this would be better if you adjusted the luminosity curve so that more details underneath the dock were visible. looks like a gray void

I enjoy teh void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

imo those isolated object pictures work best when they're super sharp and have bold color/contrast. just saw this as an awesome example of that