Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
congress is only at -54 rn iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

maybe it's just our setup but doing really basic things requires going to multiple different pages. Half the time I make a ticket it just disappears into the ether

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jira is 1000% a case of "tries to do a bit of everything and ends up poo poo at all of it"

also it's incredibly slow and is riddled with weird UI choices. Want to set the date on a release version? off you go through three menu levels!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Jira is 1000% a case of "tries to do a bit of everything and ends up poo poo at all of it"

also it's incredibly slow and is riddled with weird UI choices. Want to set the date on a release version? off you go through three menu levels!
a lot of that is down to how your org has set it up

jira still sucks, clearly, but everyone can make it suck in their own artisinal, bespoke way

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sagacity posted:

jira still sucks, clearly, but everyone can make it suck in their own artisinal, bespoke way

one of our never ending groups of PMs got a massive hard on for "Jira big picture" and wow what a loving mess that is because of how it encourages huge issue spam

so yes, I can at least partly believe that.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

jira is probably the nicest tool my org uses, i live in hell

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Trapick posted:

lol what are you on, jabber, sharepoint, and the ceo's nephew's spare time HR platform?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Trapick posted:

please go to the interviewing thread

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don't work for a programming shop and we use jira for "waterfall with agile characteristics"

it's fine

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c tp s: a common thing in hobby OS dev is that everyone's first "real" OS project is a unix clone so as an april fools joke I'm doing a fourth edition unix reimplementation for the original IBM PC. did you know there's a modern fork of watcom C that can still target the 8088?

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

distortion park posted:

lol what are you on, jabber, sharepoint, and the ceo's nephew's spare time HR platform?

3 for 3 if HR platform includes time tracking systems

welcome to Wall Street baby

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it standard JIRA behavior that you cannot put an image in a bug description, or just our messed up installation?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

yes

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

smackfu posted:

standard JIRA behavior

nobody knows what this is, op

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
jira is in the category of b2b saas that is "adaptive skin over ""customer tunable"" (probably just a bajillion fields of which most are unused at any given time) database" and as such it is a) guaranteed to suck poo poo b) guaranteed to suck poo poo in a different way for every single customer that modifies it. it's really a tour de force

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

distortion park posted:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cold on a Cob posted:

nobody knows what this is, op

in my day we called this "lotus notes syndrome". like, in theory, it can be configured to work really well, but in practice, no-one actually knows the magic incantations, or they do, and they don't have the admin privileges to set it up

every so often a programmer goes "it'll be a workflow engine" and we repeat the same horrors that are inflicted on us

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Kazinsal posted:

c tp s: a common thing in hobby OS dev is that everyone's first "real" OS project is a unix clone so as an april fools joke I'm doing a fourth edition unix reimplementation for the original IBM PC. did you know there's a modern fork of watcom C that can still target the 8088?
nice

what's the typical "build u an unix" approach to targeting architectures without an mmu, is it some sort of segment register juggling or

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

tef posted:

that's the thing, you pick your employer, not your jira tasks

they can assign you whatever the gently caress in jira, you can bartelby the scrivener non-impactful work and it will go away.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

distortion park posted:

lmao people occasionally complain that my corp phone number doesn't work and it's because we have jabber which is a piece of poo poo and I just disabled because it was crashing all the time but more importantly who the gently caress uses a work phone anymore anyway???

also we have sharepoint but I don't ever really have to touch it

Internaut! posted:

and time tracking lol, because yes, I also work for a financial service corp and everything is driven off idiot budget theatre that we then have to fill out timesheets for

I just slap in a week of "app management" every time and leave it at that, nobody has ever asked me why my actual doesn't match the budget allocations because nobody cares

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also shout out to anyone else that has a megacorp Jira instance that has about 1 billion items in the dropdowns because everybody added their own versions for their project and some dumbass merged them all into one list

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Jira is fine as long as it’s owned by someone at a very high level whose only job is to say “no” when people ask for a new field.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

also shout out to anyone else that has a megacorp Jira instance that has about 1 billion items in the dropdowns because everybody added their own versions for their project and some dumbass merged them all into one list

lol

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I just slap in a week of "app management" every time and leave it at that, nobody has ever asked me why my actual doesn't match the budget allocations because nobody cares

our eng management realized that the only thing they ever really have to mark down is holidays or vacation time so that's made it easier for them to be like "ya Share Bear worked 144 hours in February" and no one really questions or microanalyzes it

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

distortion park posted:

teams, sharepoint, service-now, and yes some bullshit timetracking

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lifg posted:

Jira is fine as long as it’s owned by someone at a very high level whose only job is to say “no” when people ask for a new field.

yeah. jira has plenty of stupid design decisions, but the most egregious jira fuckups are always user created.

i havent found a good alternative to it yet cause everything else only does a subset and usually doesnt do that subset as well as jira

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
It could be worse, it could be Asana!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Trapick posted:

Lol we just migrated to jira, our previous tool was version one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Jira made me start using a WYSIWYG editor for ticket descriptions, so I canceled our department's subscription without asking anybody else first :cool:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

CPColin posted:

Jira made me start using a WYSIWYG editor for ticket descriptions, so I canceled our department's subscription without asking anybody else first :cool:

lol power move

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Sagacity posted:

I wish I had :10bux: for every time somebody says "you're holding it wrong" about Jira

Jira is No True Scotsman As A Service (NTSAAS)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so jira really does make you agile drat

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jira is extremely good as long as you never ever install a plugin

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dijkstracula posted:

nice

what's the typical "build u an unix" approach to targeting architectures without an mmu, is it some sort of segment register juggling or

yep, register juggling and manually moving things around in memory as necessary. conveniently the 8088 has the whole segmentation thing I wrote a big effortpost about last year so as long as your programs aren't using more than one segment (which is something you can kind of "enforce" by your "ABI" when you're doing something dumb like this) you can pause your scheduler, move stuff around, change the segment registers they use in their task structures, and turn the scheduler back on. kinda like doing a defrag for memory

QNX solved this problem in 1982 so if I can't do it in 2023 with much better documentation and tooling I'm just gonna give up on touching computer

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
my old startup job had a basically completely unconfigured JIRA which I used for grouping tickets by project and a really basic kanban board. it was nice and easy to navigate and pretty much entirely manual.

my current job has a completely hosed implementation of JIRA where you can't drag issues between columns on the board, each issue has like 20 fields that I don't understand and no one uses, and the PM gets frustrated and says "it must've gotten lost in the transition to the new board" every other day

why does it have to have all these buttons to group work and see who's working on what. why does the automated stuff not work. why can't I just put the subtask on the board without the epic being assigned to someone else and who configured this shitshow

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

CPColin posted:

our instance doesn't support backticks to embed code with markdown. the one thing i strongly feel about wanting to put in a ticket, and it just doesn't work. the code style button breaks have the time, so issues are just plaintext most of the time

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The instance the rest of campus uses supports no formatting at all and I'm still not sure how that happened

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

the worlds best project management software where you can't assign two people to a ticket, you have to invent an entire vocabulary for stripping tasks down to their smallest traceable unit and being able to align them back up to a company effort instead of being like "12 rats and the new hire fixed the apache config. ticket done"

im suspicious that anyone who intentionally uses or defends jira has ever performed non computer tasks at an employer

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
herpes only has a nps of -80

jira is like +35 among management, but that -82 in eng is not a lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Its a Rolex posted:

my current job has a completely hosed implementation of JIRA where you can't drag issues between columns on the board, each issue has like 20 fields that I don't understand and no one uses, and the PM gets frustrated and says "it must've gotten lost in the transition to the new board" every other day

lol yea I've seen this. Particularly the "can't drag the issue between columns for some unknown reason"

I also love it when you cannot progress the issue until you assign it to yourself, but you cant assign by selecting your name in the assign dropdown, you have to click assign and open a popup to select your name and submit it, otherwise it doesn't assign even though you show as the assignee!