Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've never had a problem with jira. sounds like y'all should make your own jira boards instead of letting bored PMs bury you under a bunch of lovely plugins or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

y'all should make your own jira boards

why the gently caress would i ever do that

i'm a developer, not a jira janitor

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

here's how you do it:

1. click new board
2. use it, don't gently caress with it, dont let other people gently caress with it

and it's fine

this is a "stop buying candles" problem

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this assumes you have enough organizational power to say gently caress off when some pissant comes up to you about using The Board

which frankly isnt gonna happen in some places

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Achmed Jones posted:

this is a "stop buying candles" problem

*moves the "no" card to the "in review" column*

Wait why do I have to log my time for that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dogshit processes are tools-agnostic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Its a Rolex posted:

my old startup job had a basically completely unconfigured JIRA which I used for grouping tickets by project and a really basic kanban board. it was nice and easy to navigate and pretty much entirely manual.

my current job has a completely hosed implementation of JIRA where you can't drag issues between columns on the board, each issue has like 20 fields that I don't understand and no one uses, and the PM gets frustrated and says "it must've gotten lost in the transition to the new board" every other day

why does it have to have all these buttons to group work and see who's working on what. why does the automated stuff not work. why can't I just put the subtask on the board without the epic being assigned to someone else and who configured this shitshow

the "cant drag items between columns" is a classic workflow fuckup where clowns add useless steps or delete the original steps in the default agile flow.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gonna see if i can get this poo poo made group policy or something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
set dark mode to system setting while ur in there

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

12 rats tied together posted:

the worlds best project management software where you can't assign two people to a ticket, you have to invent an entire vocabulary for stripping tasks down to their smallest traceable unit and being able to align them back up to a company effort instead of being like "12 rats and the new hire fixed the apache config. ticket done"

im suspicious that anyone who intentionally uses or defends jira has ever performed non computer tasks at an employer

if you have engineer brain, sure enough you think a bug tracker is "managing the process of fixing bugs", and you wouldn't be entirely wrong if you said "we can do 90% of this with a mailing list", or even "we could hook something up to github and update and close most bugs automatically"

but that isn't what a bug tracker is for

maybe you've read an agile book, and maybe you think "bug tracking is about internal CRM", and you wouldn't be entirely wrong. sure enough there's a lot of use in letting other teams know when a feature will be ready, when a bug fix ships, and going through the overhead of jira usually pays off. it's why "just use a mailing list" never ends up working in practice.

but that isn't what a bug tracker is for

bug trackers are for managers, not engineers. they aren't there to make it easy for people to talk within a team, or for one team to talk to another, they're there to make it easy for managers to open up a big page of "work that is being done" and then yell at people to work harder. that's why you get burndown charts, that's why you get kanban, thats why you have a bajillion topics and fields.

like jwz's old rant "groupware bad", engineers aren't the ones buying jira and engineers aren't the ones jira develops features for

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that doesnt mean that they couldnt expend the effort for eng to like them more than cockroaches and herpes

maybe if they expended some effort they could get to congress level popularity

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that doesnt mean that they couldnt expend the effort for eng to like them more than cockroaches and herpes

maybe if they expended some effort they could get to congress level popularity

alas, engineers don't make purchasing decisions, nor are they stakeholders in those decisions

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they totally are in some places

you know what? those places dont buy jira. mysterious

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they totally are in some places

you know what? those places dont buy jira. mysterious

my experience of this is when you have founders who like to pretend to be engineers, and they don't buy jira because it costs money

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i almost took a 30k pay cut to work at a place without jira. there were other reasons too but that was the main one

they IPOed at like 350/share so i probably should have. one of my bigger work regrets

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i use jira as a write-only thing that i update once a week. i'm not sure who if anyone actually reads any of the information written in jira because our actual status updates where we let each other know what we've been working on and are going to work on are all done on slack.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
if pms don't have enough enrichment items in their pen they get ornery and start sending panicked messages to the people who are doing the work

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
and jira trying to do every conceivable thing is the most distracting enrichment toy of all time

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i for real don't really even understand how jira could even BE bad

you go there, there's a list of things to do. you either assign one to yourself or already have it assigned, you drag it to in progress, you do thing, you drag it to in review, you drag it to in-ua or whatever, when it gets deployed it gets moved to "deployed"

what are people doing that fucks that up? someone mentioned not being able to drag to a column and that's pretty bad. but it's definitely not something that happens without somebody working to screw ir up

like it can be slow, ok (though it's always been fine for me when not self-hosted), the query language is annoying, whatever. but none of that is really stuff that matters really.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
do you mean the jira scrum board or the jira kanban board, because of course there's more than two

people gently caress it up because you ask someone to configure a tool they'll configure it for their workflow and problems

tef fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 1, 2023

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i feel this paragraph from the jira website may prove enlightening

"Jira administrators often set up the board’s columns to match steps in the workflow. For teams with simple workflows, statuses available to issues in each column also mirror to the step in the workflow."

or perhaps

"A swimlane is a horizontal categorization of issues in active sprints of a scrum board or on a kanban board. You can use swimlanes to help you better organize tasks of different categories, such as workstreams, users, application areas, and more."

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

i for real don't really even understand how jira could even BE bad

you go there, there's a list of things to do. you either assign one to yourself or already have it assigned, you drag it to in progress, you do thing, you drag it to in review, you drag it to in-ua or whatever, when it gets deployed it gets moved to "deployed"

what are people doing that fucks that up? someone mentioned not being able to drag to a column and that's pretty bad. but it's definitely not something that happens without somebody working to screw ir up

like it can be slow, ok (though it's always been fine for me when not self-hosted), the query language is annoying, whatever. but none of that is really stuff that matters really.

it sucks to use op

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
jira is incredibly slow, has an incredibly inconsistent ui that makes it difficult to use, and a gazillion different fields where maybe 10% are used by your particular niche of your org. also someone has almost certainly set up a bunch of idiotic ticket workflows with like 5 different ticket types and 15 different steps for each one which makes it a huge pain in the rear end to actually update statuses.

it's generally bad software that doesn't do anything well, but most problems people have with jira are just the usual dysfunctional process problems.

personally i just avoid putting stuff in jira, because if stuff i'm working on is not in jira, management won't ask any questions about it. sure it looks like i'm accomplishing less than i actually am, but that's just what it looks like to management, and i'm not here to impress management. like, wow, if i put in a lot of work on boring poo poo i don't care about i could get to call myself staff engineer and get a 10% pay bump. big woop. i could also just switch jobs instead

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 1, 2023

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
idigi, it works on my machine

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
My work has 6 kinds of jira tickets, and an incredibly complicated workflow around the performative act of pretending our jira tickets/backlogs have any connection to reality

We all spend between 4 and 16 hours per week loving around with Jira tickets. Metrics shuffle between an endless parade of middle managers who only care about number go up.

It's a waste of life and soul.

Jira is a great example of the principle that metrics cease to be valid once they become targets.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Poopernickel posted:

My work has 6 kinds of jira tickets, and an incredibly complicated workflow around the performative act of pretending our jira tickets/backlogs have any connection to reality

We all spend between 4 and 16 hours per week loving around with Jira tickets. Metrics shuffle between an endless parade of middle managers who only care about number go up.

It's a waste of life and soul.

Jira is a great example of the principle that metrics cease to be valid once they become targets.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

at the current job i'm not allowed to move a ticket to "pending approval" until i fill out 2 different questionnaires, which require me to select "no" from a drop down menu that defaults to "none" repeatedly (which is never valid to use) and i also have to set a code reviewer which i always put myself into because we do code review on gitlab

if we leave a ticket in "open" status for a week there is also a slack bot that spams our slack channel and we have to do some paperwork about it

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

if you genuinely can't understand how jira can be bad i would advise you to reconsider your jira experience as extremely exceptional as is demonstrated by whatever net promoter score website people are referencing in which genital herpes is considered preferable to using this piece of poo poo software, where again, you can't assign 2 people to a ticket

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
you want to assign two people to a ticket?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah that's what a QA assignee and a "QA required" flag that makes it impossible to move a ticket to done until the QA assignee signs off on it is for

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i've been at a company that had a functional jira process but it was very slimmed down compared to most workflows i've seen and involved a lot less people. basically all of the weekly work started from the board; if you don't have anything to do you pick a ticket from the top of the "stuff we want to do this week" column and drag it to in progress. when it's ready for code review you let people know at standup (and/or ping on slack) and whoever reviews self-assigns and drags it to code review. then same thing for testing, then it gets merged and is done. four steps, three ticket types (feature, bug, task), that's it. no story pointing, just try to break tickets down enough that each individual task is doable within no more than ~2 days of work. it was a process that was very good at letting the cto hassle people about not completing enough tickets (which eventually got me put on a performance improvement plan and i subsequently left voluntarily) but it did get less in the way than most processes i've seen so it's impossible to say if it was bad or not

i've rarely regretted writing good tickets (or requirement/planning docs in general) though. it absolutely sucks rear end to do, but clearly spelling out what we're doing (and what we're not doing), how we're doing it and what user need it's fulfilling is good, because writing things down usually clarifies them for yourself too and you'll forget all that poo poo in a week if you don't write it down

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 1, 2023

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
What’s that??? You’re not getting enough done?? Surely the solution is to add some more Jira meetings

How are those tickets coming along?? Did you get your tickets done????

Let’s have a planning and alignment meeting about your tickets. That will help put the department back on course. The meeting should have the line manager, all three project managers, the scrum master, the function owner, and also the product owner

What do you mean there’s unclear hierarchy and conflicting goals?? 7 managers should be plenty for 4 ICs.

Also are your tickets done yet??

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 1, 2023

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I’ve been writing tickets on our jira for several years now and I still can’t figure out why they have a 30% chance to disappear into the void after they are written

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
It’s because you forgot to assign the right label

There are 610274283 labels that are all different by one or two characters. JIRA can’t search them because there’s too many. GL buddy.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok like it's dumb you can't assign two people, but it just sounds to me like people aren't able to stop blaming the software used to encode their lovely processes instead of the processes themselves and the people who implement them. i could see an argument to the effect of "it shouldn't let you do dumb stuff" but im not sure i buy that in this instance

it's like blaming the hammer when you repeatedly hit yourself in the dick with it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

neosloth posted:

I’ve been writing tickets on our jira for several years now and I still can’t figure out why they have a 30% chance to disappear into the void after they are written

ok that's really bad, THAT is the kind of thing i was asking about

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

ok like it's dumb you can't assign two people, but it just sounds to me like people aren't able to stop blaming the software used to encode their lovely processes instead of the processes themselves and the people who implement them. i could see an argument to the effect of "it shouldn't let you do dumb stuff" but im not sure i buy that in this instance

it's like blaming the hammer when you repeatedly hit yourself in the dick with it.

Bloody posted:

dogshit processes are tools-agnostic

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

ok that's really bad, THAT is the kind of thing i was asking about

im sure in a poorly deployed on-prem setup it is pretty easy to do this by loving up your database. or by installing some dogshit plugin

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Achmed Jones posted:

you: no one is beating my dick with the dick beating hammer

the rest of us: oof oof oof oof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

No, it isn't. It is software. Jira does not implement hosed up organizational practices that incentivize stupid metrics-chasing. I know you can't really think it's the software's fault. Well, I hope