Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

The Science of Suck posted:

i’ve never gotten very far into prog, but i heard some recent animals as leaders and i think its the drumming that is tying it together for me. a quick google says djent is what i’m after? i don’t like meshuggah so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Djent is kind of a loaded term and covers a whole lot of kinds of music.

Specifically the name is an onomatopoeia for the palm muted low open string, it's kind of Meshuggah's entire thing so you can probably recognize it with them, and also with a lot of AAL stuff, though AAL kind of uses it as a jumping-off point for way more creative stuff.

Animals as Leaders are really one of the most technically complex bands in metal/prog IMO, and they are quite unique - there's really nobody doing exactly what they do.

Is any of this stuff up your alley at all? It's definitely more straightforward than AAL but this is the kind of stuff that would probably come up on an AAL Pandora station or something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m5XvO0Y2-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im3rhzOFThk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7T0TPBYGjs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

On the other hand I like elaborate keyboards (ELP, Tony Banks) and but don’t mind more pop inclinations (Alan Parsons, ELO up to Out of the Blue?) but my knowledge ends somewhere around 1990 if anyone’s got anything more, uh, modern.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Maybe Haken? They're a bit more prog metal but rarely the screamy kind. Their fourth album, Affinity, has some synthpop throwback influences, especially the song "1985".

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Djent is kind of a loaded term and covers a whole lot of kinds of music.

Specifically the name is an onomatopoeia for the palm muted low open string, it's kind of Meshuggah's entire thing so you can probably recognize it with them, and also with a lot of AAL stuff, though AAL kind of uses it as a jumping-off point for way more creative stuff.

Animals as Leaders are really one of the most technically complex bands in metal/prog IMO, and they are quite unique - there's really nobody doing exactly what they do.

Is any of this stuff up your alley at all? It's definitely more straightforward than AAL but this is the kind of stuff that would probably come up on an AAL Pandora station or something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m5XvO0Y2-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im3rhzOFThk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7T0TPBYGjs

spent some time listening to each a few times, thanks for posting them

i think what i get out of animals as leaders is it might be too complex for me to fully process when i actively listen so i just get taken along on a ride without knowing where i'm going. probably why i like noise stuff too, that brain feel of being enveloped by the unknown

1. i liked it a little at first but it was tough to fully engage with on subsequent listens because i got bored with it
2. the guitar is good and i might seek out more by whoever that is, song is boring overall though from the first listen
3. this is easily the best one you posted for me, the white guitar especially so i looked up tim henson and wow! i'm very disappointed in the world for hiding polyphia from me

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Bit late to the party, but newest The Gathering album Beautiful Distortion is pretty great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZY7bFYlWY
I know it more of a Prog adjacent band than strickly prog.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Just off Facebook. Jesse Gress, guitarist with Todd Rundgren and Tony Levin Band, has passed at the age of 67.

This is the only music thread I post in, and I met him via Tony, so here's the news. He was a very, very nice guy. Always hoped Tony would get the band out again - Jesse on guitar, Jerry Marotta on drums, TL on bass and either Pete Levin or Larry Fast on keys.

Sad.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's Dark Side's fiftieth birthday today. Got the turntable running into a preamp and then into some good ol' K240s. Real good poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kazinsal posted:

It's Dark Side's fiftieth birthday today. Got the turntable running into a preamp and then into some good ol' K240s. Real good poo poo.

I might throw on my Immersion copy. Not listened to it in quad in a while.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Rush has the 40th anniversary version of Signals on pre-order as of today. Doesn’t come with any extra live stuff like the last few of their 40th anniversary albums did, sadly. Still gonna get it cause I’m a dork and that’s my favorite albums of theirs.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The one thing I'll say about the 40th ann. editions for previous Rush stuff is that it's the closest the digital versions have gotten to sounding like the OG vinyl.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

new Haken is maybe their best yet, really incredible stuff.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Despite already owning both original and a reissue vinyl LPs of Signals I am considering the 40th anniversary edition simply because it's my favourite Rush album.

I will forever be grateful that I got to see them playing Losing It live. I actually cried during that song at R40 in Vancouver. One of the most moving things I've ever seen in my life.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Despite already owning both original and a reissue vinyl LPs of Signals I am considering the 40th anniversary edition simply because it's my favourite Rush album.

I will forever be grateful that I got to see them playing Losing It live. I actually cried during that song at R40 in Vancouver. One of the most moving things I've ever seen in my life.

I remember fondly the snakes and arrows tour where they played Digital Man. I just looked it up and it was an amazing 5 song opener. Limelight, Digital Man, Ghost of a Chance, Mission, Freewill.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Happy 20th anniversary (a day late) to The Power To Believe

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
yeesh there's one that makes me feel old, I remember buying that in high school the week it was released. was stunned how modern it sounded for a "bunch of old guys"...in retrospect Fripp and Belew were only in their 50s, the other two in their 40s! that's not old at all!! right??

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JAMOOOL posted:

yeesh there's one that makes me feel old, I remember buying that in high school the week it was released. was stunned how modern it sounded for a "bunch of old guys"...in retrospect Fripp and Belew were only in their 50s, the other two in their 40s! that's not old at all!! right??

I loved that incarnation of the band so much. I bet I saw them 5 or 6 times. It was probably that power to believe tour where they had Living Color open for them. Incredible show. They were playing more rock clubs than theaters. So good.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Something that I just remembered is that Rick Emmet did an all-Canuck thing for a guitar magazine, a piece featuring Alex Lifeson, Ed Bickert, and Liona Boyd. Enjoy it in all its late-80s glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luazBVOYa9c

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Fauna is divine.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Just postin' this for a second, suddenly remembered how much I love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDts-bEAmjI

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Yo when the hell did When Dream And Day Unite hit streaming services?

Seems like a recent development.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
https://astralhand.bandcamp.com/album/lords-of-data

Is a bit more psych/space rock than the usual stuff discussed here but I'm really digging this right now

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Yo when the hell did When Dream And Day Unite hit streaming services?

Seems like a recent development.

Not on YouTube Music yet it looks like. :( It was on there years ago but disappeared at some point. I haven't listened to that album in forever.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
It has been on spotify for years.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1AznpOdGM8OcHYmqOUBXy3?si=WfG6E9MeQeG6i69ydXLSHQ

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Not on YouTube Music yet it looks like. :( It was on there years ago but disappeared at some point. I haven't listened to that album in forever.

I remember loving Ytse Jam might check it out.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Not in the US though. Must've just showed up here not too long ago.

Not that it matters bc I have the Mechanics vinyl and a custom digital remix / remaster I made myself. :agesilaus:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Great video that was posted a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIDrvoI_hJ0

e: and another one I guess, John Wetton is ridiculous on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4hrwgMndEo

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 5, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-da7LQ-R5E

I'm not 100% sure if Ghost covering a 90s Genesis song is terribly prog but it's loving rad so I'm putting it here.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kazinsal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-da7LQ-R5E

I'm not 100% sure if Ghost covering a 90s Genesis song is terribly prog but it's loving rad so I'm putting it here.

As someone who loves both Genesis and Ghost, I'm quite happy with it.

The actual video they did for the song is good (And very suggestive), and the fake preacher radio show is funny.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well’p. Just spent a mildly silly amount of money on a front row floor seat for Dream Theater, Devin Townsend, and Animals as Leaders in Vancouver this July. JP’s side of the stage. Gonna be looooooud

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Anyone been to the Jon Anderson + Band Geeks shows? There are a few YouTube videos up from the first couple shows and the band sounds insanely good. Jon is also undefeated for sounding just as good if not better than his younger self at age 78.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Iucounu posted:

Anyone been to the Jon Anderson + Band Geeks shows? There are a few YouTube videos up from the first couple shows and the band sounds insanely good. Jon is also undefeated for sounding just as good if not better than his younger self at age 78.

I saw Anderson last year with Paul Green's Rock Academy. His voice is still so insanely good. I see And You and I and Awaken are on the setlists this year, which guarantees a great show. And You and I with ARW a few years ago is on the short list of best songs I've heard live.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I saw Anderson last year with Paul Green's Rock Academy. His voice is still so insanely good. I see And You and I and Awaken are on the setlists this year, which guarantees a great show. And You and I with ARW a few years ago is on the short list of best songs I've heard live.

Me and a friend ate some weed brownies before seeing ARW in Boston. We were in the front mezzanine and at the climax of "And You And I" it looked like pure columns of white were beamed down onto the audience, and that is one of my favorite concert memories of all time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMtiSGaj3Tg

In case you needed Primus, Danny and Justin from Tool and Troy from Queens of the Stoneage jamming out on Thela Hun Ginjeet well, I've got you covered.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sway Grunt posted:

Just postin' this for a second, suddenly remembered how much I love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDts-bEAmjI

Camel is one of the greatest bands of all time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mars Volta released an acoustic album today called Que Dios Te Maldiga Mi Corazon. I was kinda hoping they'd have some older tracks on here just to hear how those could possibly translate to acoustic versions, but nah, it's acoustic versions of all the songs from their self-titled album from last year.

This isn't making me like some of these songs any more than I did before, but I do like the acoustic version of Graveyard Love. That was my favorite song on the self-titled album. Cedric's voice on it sounds pretty good. In fact, Cedric's voice sounds pretty good on several of these. I just wish I liked these songs anywhere near as much as their older stuff.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can anyone give me a lowdown on Dream Theater albums past Octavarium? I'm going to their concert tomorrow and I felt that I need to get up to speed with their newer (relatively-speaking) hits. I feel like they peaked at Metropolis Part 2 and Octavarium felt a little too radio-friendly but I'm willing to be surprised.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lily Catts posted:

Can anyone give me a lowdown on Dream Theater albums past Octavarium? I'm going to their concert tomorrow and I felt that I need to get up to speed with their newer (relatively-speaking) hits. I feel like they peaked at Metropolis Part 2 and Octavarium felt a little too radio-friendly but I'm willing to be surprised.

Systematic Chaos is good. Kinda somewhere between Six Degrees and Octavarium. Black Clouds and Silver Linings has moments but is also corny as hell.

The post-Portnoy albums range from unlistenable to not-quite-Octavarium. Best to worst would probably be Distance over Time > self-titled > A Dramatic Turn of Events > whatever the newest one is called > being sent to an alternate timeline in which the band broke up instead of continuing without Portnoy > The Astonishing.

The Astonishing is that bad.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Kazinsal posted:

Systematic Chaos is good. Kinda somewhere between Six Degrees and Octavarium. Black Clouds and Silver Linings has moments but is also corny as hell.

The post-Portnoy albums range from unlistenable to not-quite-Octavarium. Best to worst would probably be Distance over Time > self-titled > A Dramatic Turn of Events > whatever the newest one is called > being sent to an alternate timeline in which the band broke up instead of continuing without Portnoy > The Astonishing.

The Astonishing is that bad.

Oof

Reading about Portnoy's departure and his subsequent relationship with the band was like reading about a guy who couldn't get over his ex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
For me it's A Dramatic Turn Of Events > S/T > Distance Over Time > Systematic Chaos > A View From The Top Of The World > Black Clouds & Silver Linings >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eating Octo-mom's rear end in a top hat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Astonishing

- A Dramatic Turn sounds like 90's DT to the point of pastiche, but it's goooooooooooooooooooooooood.

- The Self-Titled has a Symphony X opening track that sounds almost exactly like the opening track for Dramatic Turn melody-wise (really start to feel their creative burnout here), but the tracks that shamelessly rip off Rush are FANTASTIC.

- Distance Over Time is more them going into a full-blown Rush album. It's pretty good. On some days it fucks. On other days I'm indifferent to it. Today is one of those days that it fucks.

- Systematic Chaos is an uneven experiment, but I wish the Mangini era took more risks like this album (even if a decent chunk of it doesn't work).

- The drum and bass tones A View From The Top taste like chicken and beer (and I'm not just saying that because I'd just left Buffalo Wild Wings and was driving slightly over the legal limit on the Hudson River Drive while listening to this thing) -- Some good compositions murked under tired wank / awful lyrics / James' voice being worse than usual.

- It's easy to see why Portnoy wanted out after Black Clouds. I used to like "A Nightmare To Remember" a lot but man it's aged like milk aside for the 'Hopelessly drifting...' part.

- The less said about The Astonishit the better.