Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

That counts? They add characters but they all cost and they don't change the game in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sometimes the characters come with special abilities

Goku had a Kamehameha

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Overwatch, kind of

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Fortnite's skins are just "What if you could charge people out the nose for the equivalent of Quake 2 skins"

BiggerBoat posted:

Looking forward to the Wolverine game.

Wish these developers could take a page out of the past because the old Logan game on Ps2 was quite good.

And so was the god damned Hulk game.

Considering how PSpider-m4n seemed to have been taking notes from previous top licensed spidey games, I'd be surprised if Wolverine doesn't have a few crucial homages to the X-Men Origins Wolverine game

That said, I bet Marvel corporate is too buttoned up now to let you grow your skin back

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

The concept of GI Joe as a game is basically any of those Modern Warfare games, right?

Maybe, but I would never play those game. A 3rd person gi joe game fighting COBRA with a cartoony vibe and special powers though? gently caress I'd be all over that.

I tried fortnite since everyone on Get Played podcast loved it and got the x-23 skin and i died in my first match to my first opponent and then deleted the game.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I would say get Platinum to do it but Transformers: Devastation was trash

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Diabetic posted:

Is there ANY GaaS game that was successful that adds characters and is still active?

Warframe still going strong and adding new frames despite being crazy bloated after continually adding content for a decade. Being free to play and available on every platform with drop in multiplayer probably helps.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

I would say get Platinum to do it but Transformers: Devastation was trash

I loved that dumb game, it was exactly what it made itself out to be and I had a lot of fun with it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Transformers: Devastation is dope.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got Midnight Suns on sale without the DLC and even then it was teetering on being just a bit too much for my plate and I only friendshipped 4 characters all the way. That last fight was pretty ridiculous and brutal and a slog especially when ghost rider's enemies blow up skill interacted badly with the 'clear all enemies off the board' event that led to 2 extra immortal dread maidens clobbering me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Humble Bundle has a 71 item bundle to benefit Turkey/Syria Pay $30 and get a ton of games including Gotham Knights.

And some conics too, including Saga volume 1-10.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1633897818061430785

Does this mean they're taking out the Batman-infused enemies? :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

JordanKai posted:

Bullying works.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm all for releasing a game only when they're confident in its quality but weren't people critical of some integral game mechanics? You can't turn Destiny into Gotham Knights in only a few months.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1633900563447332875?t=iUUqHUQFC_3BVFWlAqrIoA&s=19

Jason agrees

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
SS:KtJL's fundamental problem, and the main source of the backlash to the State of Play showing, is that it's a 2023 release that's chasing GaaS trends from 2017 or so. A delay of a few months might be a better release window for WB, but it isn't going to change that

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

JordanKai posted:

They're infusing them even more

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol just cancel the game.

Nobody wants it, it's been delayed to hell so much that it's entire concept is now reviled by everyone, and it looked like poo poo gameplay

Further delaying it isn't gonna change anything. Cancel or just hurry up and throw out out there to die

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

At this point they'd probably be better off making it free to play, probably make more money off of battle passes and loot boxes then they will off people buying the thing

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What's crazy is, usually a company releasing a game like this would still be reasonably confident it'll review well and sell enough to at least make some money, based on the name and company, in this case Rocksteady and the DC stuff, a very good pedigree in combination. The fact that they're clearly a little bit rattled probably means the actual core gameplay is proper poo poo as a result of having to smash this gear/shooter gameplay into a thing that doesn't really suit it as well. Even beyond what was obvious in the gameplay overview from last month.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Opopanax posted:

At this point they'd probably be better off making it free to play, probably make more money off of battle passes and loot boxes then they will off people buying the thing

I'm sure that was thrown around internally, then Multiversus' performance (i'm still expecting sometime next week that they'll announce it's shutting down) in that model told them it's a lost cause.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1633903322598916128

I'm sorry for the devs who dedicated years, some possibly even a decade, at that studio trying to get anything out the door and repeatedly getting nowhere. But this is the funniest game story this year outside of maybe Yuji Naka admitting how much he loving loves insider trading.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MorningMoon posted:

I'm sorry for the devs who dedicated years, some possibly even a decade, at that studio trying to get anything out the door and repeatedly getting nowhere. But this is the funniest game story this year outside of maybe Yuji Naka admitting how much he loving loves insider trading.

Hopefully it does come out at least so the ones who worked on stuff like environment design, art assets and stuff can actually have something to show off (if all that stuff is good obviously). It's always brutal when you hear about a game not coming out and then people being unable to show off whatever they've been working on professionally for multiple years.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

With there not being a new release date set yet, I wouldn't be surprised if there was just some internal reevaluation and risk analysis on even putting the game out at all planned.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

With there not being a new release date set yet, I wouldn't be surprised if there was just some internal reevaluation and risk analysis on even putting the game out at all planned.

Can WB put a video game in the vault like they did Batgirl for a tax write off?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

JordanKai posted:

Once something is Batman-infused, it's very hard to reverse the process. These people have families, you know.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MorningMoon posted:

I'm sure that was thrown around internally, then Multiversus' performance (i'm still expecting sometime next week that they'll announce it's shutting down) in that model told them it's a lost cause.

Multiversus just seemed like a game that was destroyed by the GAAS-isms. Like, they were literally pushing half-finished characters out the door because they had to release one every two weeks and at that point it's just like Dude! You don't have to do this!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also almost half of the first season of characters was taken up by gremlins

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Codependent Poster posted:

Can WB put a video game in the vault like they did Batgirl for a tax write off?

Rocksteady is a London-based company, so UK tax loopholes may be different. In principle, though, nothing's stopping Warner. Rockysteady is a wholly owned subsidiary. They could cancel the game or shutter the studio if they thought that would make them more money.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1633903322598916128

At this rate, Suicide Squad is gonna be competing with Insomniac's Wolverine game, not Spidey 2.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

mycot posted:

Multiversus just seemed like a game that was destroyed by the GAAS-isms. Like, they were literally pushing half-finished characters out the door because they had to release one every two weeks and at that point it's just like Dude! You don't have to do this!

Yup. It's a model that's just so hard to maintain, it took Fortnite years to be able to do it. As soon as they announce it's ending service I'm gonna be smug about Nickelodeon All Star Brawl being the better smash clone by default thanks to the power of making a game and then selling it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fortnite also did it almost exclusively by accident.

I remember them showing it off before it actually released and the entire focus was on it being a PvE loot-driven building game that has little to nothing to do with what Fortnite became. Hell they were betting harder on Paragon.They just tossed a PUBG clone in there and it happened to hit at the exact right time and be the exact right thing to allow them to leverage that. It wasn't anything they planned or prepared for and at literally any other time it would have just been another forgotten live service game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Fortnite also did it almost exclusively by accident.

I remember them showing it off before it actually released and the entire focus was on it being a PvE loot-driven building game that has little to nothing to do with what Fortnite became. Hell they were betting harder on Paragon.They just tossed a PUBG clone in there and it happened to hit at the exact right time and be the exact right thing to allow them to leverage that. It wasn't anything they planned or prepared for and at literally any other time it would have just been another forgotten live service game.

yeah, the steps to get to where Fortnite got were insanely well-timed by miracle. Another aspect is that the PvE thing was basically a passion project going into paid beta around the time PUBG was blowing up, and they tossed the battle royale mode to Fortnite at the *exact* perfect time where PUBG blew up but it was still 30 or 40 dollars and was not particularly easy to run on most machines, so Fortnite had the advantage of being free and way less buggy/runs better. A very specific counter product that recycled assets from a separate project. It's like castlesuperbeast says, in the game industry you don't win by your merits as much as your competition just fucks up.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Also almost half of the first season of characters was taken up by gremlins

Should've been more, IMO.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
grain of salt, but according to Jeff Grubb on the GamesBeat Decides podcast, Suicide Squad might have been delayed into 2024. still not enough time to change the fundamental underpinnings of the game, though

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At best they'll pare back some of the GAAS stuff and it'll end up as a weirdly loot obsessed game a la Gotham Knights.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just write it off we know you want to

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gaz-L posted:

At best they'll pare back some of the GAAS stuff and it'll end up as a weirdly loot obsessed game a la Gotham Knights.

The problem with that is, unlike Gotham Knights there's clearly nothing salvageable here. Even if you remove the GaaS poo poo it's still gonna be a TPS featuring characters who were stripped of their identities in the service of this bullshit model.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They've been polishing this turd for like three years now. Just ship it and RIP it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't know anything about tax stuff but I have to assume you can't write off a game quite as easily as a relatively small film that was intended to be streaming only? I assume even that wasn't a simple thing judging by how rare it seems to be.

Like with a game they've had 300ish people working on it for at least 4-5 years and we know at least one or two aborted preproduction things as well of course. In an office in London, which is expensive as gently caress. That feels several magnitudes more difficult to me but again I am 100% ignorant.