Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

I enjoy teh void

i get why, it sort of gives a sense of surrealism

but this one looks better to my eyes even if it's not quite the curve i was picturing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i mean, i get what you were going for but i do have a lot of experience with exactly that kind of thing

e.g.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

less favorable lighting

e: lol imgur isn't loading the bottom quarter of the image, where the wood is there we go

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 1, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, i get what you were going for but i do have a lot of experience with exactly that kind of thing

e.g.

this is too much HDR

Beeftweeter posted:

less favorable lighting

e: lol imgur isn't loading the bottom quarter of the image, where the wood is there we go

this one is nice

honestly a lot of these suggestions seem to just be: echi only likes low-contrast shots with long lenses, beeftweeter takes a lot of wide angle shots and likes high contrast. both are fine when executed well and ugly when executed poorly. never the twain shall meet

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 1, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah, i don't really like the first one myself but i was looking for examples quickly to show wood in water lol. i agree it does look too processed

also "high contrast"? i don't know the meaning of the words

lol

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 1, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

interestingly i do have a couple shots that are similar to that one with differing contrast

can probably chalk that up to exposure brackets

e: to be clear imo last one is best. i was just scrolling through my library :shrug:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 1, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

imo those isolated object pictures work best when they're super sharp and have bold color/contrast. just saw this as an awesome example of that

cool stuff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

this is too much echi only likes low-contrast

funny thing about this tho : maybe it’s a psychovisual thing or maybe it’s semantics but if you take a normal image and raise the blacks, while you have overall reduced contrast, most of the image still has the same relative contrast

it’s very different to reducing contrast as if you did it with the contrast slider

let’s say you raised the blacks on a 0-255 image, basically clip all values <64 to 64 in this example .. now the whole image is 64-255 BUT every value above 64 still has the same contrast to every other value, so for every value above 64 the contrast hasn’t been changed at all

but of course it looks like it does

the two images I posted on the previous page are a good example of this. one looks lower contrast even tho most of the values are the same between them

so by raising the value of only some pixels it gives a sense of lower contrast even if it’s not low contrast

lotta
words for some
bull poo poo lol

because that car pic

imo that’s not low contrast. it’s not high contrast, but not low. IMO / but it does have gloriously raised blacks to give a sense of adventure and mystique

it’s an artistic choice to hold back some detail from
the viewer to emphasise other detail

seeing everything isn’t an objectively superior goal

but lol why have I typed all this out no one’s gonna change their mind or be informed about something they didn’t already know about

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

lotta
words for some
bull poo poo lol

:discourse:

joking aside i do get what you mean though. imo of course, but there is a fine line between doing something for artistic effect and doing something because it's necessary (to hide flaws, for example)

most of the things you've posted simply mush a bunch of details into a gray void. i get that it's an intentional choice, it's just not suited towards every image and i wouldn't go shooting with that intent in mind because you can miss the forest for the trees that way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

and ugly when executed poorly

:smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

:discourse:

joking aside i do get what you mean though. imo of course, but there is a fine line between doing something for artistic effect and doing something because it's necessary (to hide flaws, for example)

most of the things you've posted simply mush a bunch of details into a gray void. i get that it's an intentional choice, it's just not suited towards every image and i wouldn't go shooting with that intent in mind because you can miss the forest for the trees that way

at the end of the day it’s simply this :

for every picture I trial raising the blacks, raise them to a point where I think it looks good, then press the key above enter

to A/B it with the original and every time - I prefer the superior one

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

and that's okay

~fin~

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

because that car pic

imo that’s not low contrast. it’s not high contrast, but not low. IMO / but it does have gloriously raised blacks to give a sense of adventure and mystique

it's low contrast

here it is with a proper black and white point set

this is high contrast

of course these definitions are somewhat subjective, but if your histogram doesn't have any pure blacks or pure whites and your scene does (inky shadows / white highlights), you are not using your dynamic range well. i think your idea of what a properly exposed image looks like is a little skewed by your preference for the low contrast look.

echinopsis posted:

let’s say you raised the blacks on a 0-255 image, basically clip all values <64 to 64 in this example .. now the whole image is 64-255 BUT every value above 64 still has the same contrast to every other value, so for every value above 64 the contrast hasn’t been changed at all

that's just washing out the shadows. it's what happens when you try to pull an image out of a drastically underexposed negative. i think that's a big part of why it looks ~vintage~ -- all those lovely photos your mom and dad took with a point-and-shoot in poo poo lighting that the photo lab tried to recover. they have this look

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lol that dude sucks poo poo and is an influencer for ~~~film aEsTHetiC~~~ hanging out with $25K worth of cameras around his neck taking dogshit photos that invoke nostalgia with bad editing.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

cringe

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lmfao this is some high school photo class poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i was looking for examples quickly to show wood in water lol

ok but my model rate is pretty high

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Megabound posted:

Lol that dude sucks poo poo and is an influencer for ~~~film aEsTHetiC~~~ hanging out with $25K worth of cameras around his neck taking dogshit photos that invoke nostalgia with bad editing.

thank you for saying this, i was super confused about what was supposed to be worthwhile about that guy's photos. but "is an influencer" really sells it. that's very different from being a good photographer (or good at anything else, really - witness all the health etc influencers)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

my wife saw that guy and said "that looks like a man who doesn't share his potato chips"

i don't know what that means exactly but it seems on point

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

orb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

he’s living the dream

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

psa

if you use amazon drive purely for the unlimited RAW storage like i do i guess nothing is going to change. but it still sucks

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i took a few photos (with my ihpone6, i don't have a real digital camera) of this orb when we were there a few years ago. this one is my favorite.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that's not bad for a phone pic dur

but lol mine literally is tagged as "orb" in ios photos

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lots of good photo opportunities there for a capitalist hellscape

it might exist solely to remove you from your money but it sure does look neat

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i have elevated myself from being a Film Lifestyle guy. i am now a Medium Format Digital lifestyle guy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Megabound posted:

lomarf

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Elder Postsman posted:

i took a few photos (with my ihpone6, i don't have a real digital camera) of this orb when we were there a few years ago. this one is my favorite.

i’ve got balls of steel. ballsballsballsballsballs of steel.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

also don’t sweat shooting w/ a cell phone. it counts imvho.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

President Beep posted:

lol this inspired me to wonder what it would look like with a grayscale LUT

:effort: because i don't know where the raw is, but i think its kinda cool

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

there’s a very chill ride inside of that thing. almost as good as the carousel of progress at magic kingdom.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

look people, this isn't the thread for blender generated geometry renders

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s an echi thread. seemed right.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

President Beep posted:

there’s a very chill ride inside of that thing. almost as good as the carousel of progress at magic kingdom.

i love that and the people mover thing in the magic kingdom. very chill

also

lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

i love that and the people mover thing in the magic kingdom. very chill

also

lmao

hell yeah, that’s my boy right there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

psa

if you use amazon drive purely for the unlimited RAW storage like i do i guess nothing is going to change. but it still sucks

onedrive is the way. as i have to keep reminding people for some reason, microsoft is today the most reliable and least consumer-hostile of the tech majors. i guess icloud is an acceptable alternative but don't use google drive or dropbox or box or amazon drive. i didn't even know they had one of these platforms lmao

President Beep posted:

balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

balls of steeeeeeelllll

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

blow it out your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was slightly disappointed when i learned that "'i've come here to kick rear end and chew bubble-gum, and i'm all out of gum" was originally from They Live

i thought that duke nukem made it up himself :saddumb: