Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

onedrive is the way. as i have to keep reminding people for some reason, microsoft is today the most reliable and least consumer-hostile of the tech majors. i guess icloud is an acceptable alternative but don't use google drive or dropbox or box or amazon drive. i didn't even know they had one of these platforms lmao

balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls

i'd have to pay out the rear end to put 12 TB of raws on onedrive, with prime amazon photos lets me do it for "free" (for now). plus they give you actually free prints (or at least used to), shipping included, and i've at least found their CDN to be reliable

obviously i keep local backups of everything also, but they're scattered across a bunch of SSDs. the amazon photos app is loving awful but at least i get it all in one place that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah the only reason i use amazon photos is because we already get it with our prime subscription. it’s just a cold storage backup for me anyway.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
also their ai search ain’t too bad

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i got a 16x24 print/frame today and learned that 16x24 is huge

also the print is just a huge glare everywhere in my house and i should have ordered a much cheaper canvas instead and hung it myself lol :rip:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

onedrive is the way. as i have to keep reminding people for some reason, microsoft is today the most reliable and least consumer-hostile of the tech majors. i guess icloud is an acceptable alternative but don't use google drive or dropbox or box or amazon drive. i didn't even know they had one of these platforms lmao

balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls

what's your beef with dropbox?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Sagebrush posted:

Until it doesn't suit them anymore.

Personally I just ended up getting my own nas and having a backblaze backup.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Until it doesn't suit them anymore.

this is definitely something i keep my eye on. they’re actually killing off amazon drive very soon, but amazon photos is sticking around (for now).

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

my setup is also a nas + backblaze combo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
backblaze didn’t like mt pc

it just didn’t read my pc

bacause I really do need a solution

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was going back thru some old photo shoots from last year and man I enjoy to do them. I enjoy looking at the old photos, I enjoy doing the photoshoots. I enjoy the bokeh on a person

Have like two shoots that are imminent, maybe next week or so, before daylight savings in April, because then there is no light after work and severely limits opportunities

drat winter. I did NOT make the most of summer and the late nights as far as using them to do a photoshoot.

that’s my story

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i took the day off work. went to lunch with ms jones, and she was like "ok we're gonna go up the road a little so you can get some snow-on-the-peaks pictures before it all goes away." i suspect that none of them will actually be Good Photos, but hey it was fun

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones posted:

i took the day off work. went to lunch with ms jones, and she was like "ok we're gonna go up the road a little so you can get some snow-on-the-peaks pictures before it all goes away." i suspect that none of them will actually be Good Photos, but hey it was fun

what was the lunch

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im a goon talk about the food for gods sake!!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i did some senior pictures and also some political campaign portraits a few years back that turned out well.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

i did some senior pictures and also some political campaign portraits a few years back that turned out well.

what did you have for lunch?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

sometimes photography gets my rear end out of bed to go see a sunrise or something else that I otherwise might not have

and it’s this and also the fun you described where it’s very good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sushi. it was mostly really good, but there were a couple of pieces where we were like 'hey this was clearly frozen.' the last time we were there it wasn't like that but poo poo happens i guess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

sometimes photography gets my rear end out of bed to go see a sunrise or something else that I otherwise might not have

and it’s this and also the fun you described where it’s very good

yeah! case in point, as i was walking down the road, i had to cross a little bridge. on the way back, i noticed that i could get down there pretty easily, so i got to take some pictures of running water in socal (pretty rare), of the mudflat type thing where a bunch of things got washed away from the recent storms, and of the graffiti that was done under the bridge. i never would've found that if i hadn't been walkin down the road taking pictures of mountains. it was cool

then we ate the sushi

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sure are a lot of descriptions of pictures itt

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones posted:

sushi. it was mostly really good, but there were a couple of pieces where we were like 'hey this was clearly frozen.' the last time we were there it wasn't like that but poo poo happens i guess

nice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

sure are a lot of descriptions of pictures itt

picture this: kiss my b*tt!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

well the lighting is garbage and the entire concept is mediocre as well as poorly executed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've kissed better

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

don't be so harsh. beep did great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

nice

for me at least, portrait adds a whole bunch to the “hobby”, you get to plan the shoot, the outfit, details like makeup and jewellery etc. then, if you’re lucky, the person is interesting and the shoot can end up kinda fun. and then you have some photos at the end that someone else really likes because they look good in them, and it’s a satisfying feeling when you hand something over to someone that makes them look good. (well lol hope that last part happens)

but maybe the photos are a piece of poo poo lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

well the lighting is garbage and the entire concept is mediocre as well as poorly executed

but enough about star trek picard

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ooooohh, bitchy!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
finally you've fuckin upgraded

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lightroom is very bad at displaying noise (from the noise slider) as it would be if it was rendered out

it seems to do it properly at around 55% or closer, and if you hold down shift and slowly zoom out from 60 to 50 or so with an image with lots of noise added in post you can see what I mean (it's subtle)

I had an older version for a while, after 55% it wouldn't show noise at all, I finally looked into it and it was a bug that was fixed in new editions so I finally upgraded BUT while it does now show noise at zooms that fit the whole photo in your display, the noise is not accurate, it's not the same as it would be if you hit render. lame. at least it IS better

I opened lightoom to a photo I had open and my first thought was "god drat I put a lot of noise on that, better turn it way the gently caress down", but when I hit develop, it reverted back to what I had set it to

older versions this wasn't a problem.

just chatting about the important things in this thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I have this point and shoot at home that my mum used to use for taking trademe(nz ebay) photos

it takes photos. it harks back to a day when cameras had phone but some people still believed a budge dedicated camera would be a good choice

I do mean to take it with me when I go out because it takes ok video but it has a proprietary charger which is bullshit and makes me feel like I can’t take it out without the charge cable (it plugs into usb-a it could have just been mini or micro or whatever goddamn it)

anyway maybe I should also take pics and share them in this community

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

that's just washing out the shadows. it's what happens when you try to pull an image out of a drastically underexposed negative. i think that's a big part of why it looks ~vintage~ -- all those lovely photos your mom and dad took with a point-and-shoot in poo poo lighting that the photo lab tried to recover. they have this look

it also has to me, a look that it's matte. literally like it's been printed on matter paper and you're looking at it.

idk I don't think it's some psychology behind why I like it like it makes me remember a time where life was carefree or anything. I don't like it because it looks vintage, I like it because I prefer the aesthetic.

my tastes might be objectively wrong, but theyre also really good

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis posted:

lightroom is very bad at displaying noise (from the noise slider) as it would be if it was rendered out

it seems to do it properly at around 55% or closer, and if you hold down shift and slowly zoom out from 60 to 50 or so with an image with lots of noise added in post you can see what I mean (it's subtle)

I had an older version for a while, after 55% it wouldn't show noise at all, I finally looked into it and it was a bug that was fixed in new editions so I finally upgraded BUT while it does now show noise at zooms that fit the whole photo in your display, the noise is not accurate, it's not the same as it would be if you hit render. lame. at least it IS better

I opened lightoom to a photo I had open and my first thought was "god drat I put a lot of noise on that, better turn it way the gently caress down", but when I hit develop, it reverted back to what I had set it to

older versions this wasn't a problem.

just chatting about the important things in this thread

I remember my LR was doing something similar, it turned out the graphics card was adding sharpness, so I turned that off. Check your settings.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Good poo poo

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I have this point and shoot at home that my mum used to use for taking trademe(nz ebay) photos

it takes photos. it harks back to a day when cameras had phone but some people still believed a budge dedicated camera would be a good choice

I do mean to take it with me when I go out because it takes ok video but it has a proprietary charger which is bullshit and makes me feel like I can’t take it out without the charge cable (it plugs into usb-a it could have just been mini or micro or whatever goddamn it)

anyway maybe I should also take pics and share them in this community

These digicams are popular again, if you don’t use it you can sell it for an easy $100

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/07/technology/digital-cameras-olympus-canon.html

https://theconversation.com/amp/why-are-so-many-gen-z-ers-drawn-to-old-digital-cameras-198854

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-64512059

https://casualphotophile.com/2022/01/04/digicams-are-the-new-film/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s amazing how trends come and go like this. maybe the stuff i want will be cheap again someday (lol)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've got a little 4 megapixel Canon digital elph that still works. Maybe I should take it in to school and show off

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Those powershots are cool because you can put chdk on them and get RAW files out of them, which are surprisingly good, all they need is some color noise reduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

CHDK is cool and good

i still have a digital elph (the first model) and a powershot a95 but the elph battery is dead