Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

oh hey, we have one of the smaller snap circuit sets it's really good

bought during the lockdowns to have something constructive to do and it's still a hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

we also have a snap circuits set and my daughter's had a lot of fun with it. just the starter set, so not nearly as many pieces at that one.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
we’ve gotten a shitload of mileage out of a set of magnetiles we got out oldest when he was little. now our three year old loves them too and you can tell he’s figuring all sorts of stuff out when he builds with them.

also one of the few things of material value I’ve been able to pass down to the kids is my old lego collection. it’s already grown a bunch since handing it over four years ago or so.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was just gonna say, we’re about to order more magnetiles when they go on a sale because my kids are doing this with them

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

yeah we got a ton of magnatiles that still get used, and my lego collection got turned over years ago and has probably doubled in size since.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

magnatiles and snap circuits are both great

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the box art for snap circuits makes you think it’s gonna be garbage inside, but for the most part the build quality is very good. I think the leads on a couple capacitors or resistors broke at some point so I had to solder on replacements. my kid also burned out all of the LEDs by chaining battery compartments together from multiple sets

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Volmarias posted:

It's basically massively sharded

mlm kid's pants

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

polyester concept posted:

my kid also burned out all of the LEDs by chaining battery compartments together from multiple sets

whomst among us

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol, that owns

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
More power!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I had something like that when I was idk 7 maybe but it was actual components you pinned into these spring things and let me tell you I learned nothing about what any of it actually meant but I could follow the instructions

important lesson: why learn when you can just copy and paste off stack overflow?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I had something like that when I was idk 7 maybe but it was actual components you pinned into these spring things and let me tell you I learned nothing about what any of it actually meant but I could follow the instructions

important lesson: why learn when you can just copy and paste off stack overflow?

oh hey, I had the same thing
distinct memories of those springs causing calluses

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i had the elenco 75 in one

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
looks like my daughter is getting her "dads too embarrassing to be around me"s early, and my boy just hit the big four year "give a gently caress" regression

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
snuggling in bed with one of the (almost 6yo) twins, I asked him what 100 minus 50 was, trying to give him an easy problem. he turns towards the wall and you could see the gears turning like he was visualizing the problem, using his finger to help him solve it.

“eighty-five.”

….he had heard me say fifteen, not fifty. goddamn, kid, I’m impressed. kind of feel bad for him that they are just doing basic single-digit addition in kindergarten, he has to be so bored. kid is already reading dogman books, it is really cool to see how smart he is.

he’s gonna have to be the one we have to watch out for as a teenager for sure, he will 100% be sneaky about poo poo and think of all the angles to not get caught.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive found it frustrating over the years how little interest my kids have ever shown in any kind of hobby or activity that requires effort

well, my youngest loves sports and will do that for hours on end, so I suppose just mean my other son, but it's also kind of true for both of them

its almost like, and i probaly blame myself for this, that growing up with easy access to modern computers seems to kill desire for making something

like I had an amiga growing up - but no internet. and I wanted to program things I had never seen. but it feels like because unlimited content exists at kids fingertips that they never really have much energy at all for being creative

maybe they're just not. idk. my kids aren't me and I shouldn't really feel sad that they aren't. and I suppose, knowing how lame I am, guess I am glad my kids aren't like me

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

ive found it frustrating over the years how little interest my kids have ever shown in any kind of hobby or activity that requires effort

well, my youngest loves sports and will do that for hours on end, so I suppose just mean my other son, but it's also kind of true for both of them

its almost like, and i probaly blame myself for this, that growing up with easy access to modern computers seems to kill desire for making something

like I had an amiga growing up - but no internet. and I wanted to program things I had never seen. but it feels like because unlimited content exists at kids fingertips that they never really have much energy at all for being creative

maybe they're just not. idk. my kids aren't me and I shouldn't really feel sad that they aren't. and I suppose, knowing how lame I am, guess I am glad my kids aren't like me

For me, when I'm bad at something interesting, I want to dig in stubbornly until I am no longer bad. My kid does not, and I don't know how to teach that mindset because to them it just looks like "dad can do a lot of different things and I can't"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

MrQueasy posted:

For me, when I'm bad at something interesting, I want to dig in stubbornly until I am no longer bad. My kid does not, and I don't know how to teach that mindset because to them it just looks like "dad can do a lot of different things and I can't"

yeah I got this exact same thing going on with my kid too. i've started doing things wrong on purpose and correcting my mistake and talking about how that's good and cool but it doesn't seem to have sunk in.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

Not to be that rear end in a top hat who won't open a can of food for their kids or whatever, but I feel like I spend a significant part of my child-caring hours either explaining poo poo or prodding them into ways to find out how poo poo ticks.

Kids are only born curious once, and it's easy to kill that curiosity.

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

echinopsis posted:

none of us realized while growing up that that boredom is an essential nutrient

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i’m struggling with this too with our oldest. also i was the exact same way.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

when i was a kid i didn’t really have access to a computer though so i spent my time memorizing simpsons quotes.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

when i was a kid i didn’t really have access to a computer though so i spent my time memorizing simpsons quotes.
my mom doesn't believe in fabric softener *waggles jug* but she's not around

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

my eldest turns 14 this month

he has just picked up the bass and is practicing smoke on the water and some black sabbath so.. maybe it just takes time idk

maybe I was just a weird freak of a kid

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i never learned that I need to try hard and stick with things to get good at them until my 30s so i can’t blame my kids for doing the same

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Internaut! posted:

my 5 year old got a pretty cool Christmas present for learning how electric circuits work:

https://shop.elenco.com/consumers/sc-750r-snap-circuits-training-program.html

he's putting together all the stuff simply by looking at the diagrams and learning lots, such that he can build his own circuits and predict how they'll work given the electricity flow, the components used and their polarity etc

I got one of these for my kids. They did not give a SINGLE gently caress until we added the little detachable fan, which was then all they cared about. More recently I brought it back out and they did a little bit more, but mostly they just snapped all the pieces together to make a pattern or something and didn't even try looking at or understanding the directions.

I genuinely try to spark interest and they just give me the old "ok whatever dad" attitude and go back to playing computer games. Which, fair, but I really wish I could figure out how to spark something more in them. :sigh:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, I'm scared that basically nothing I like about myself will be transferable to my kids because those things emerged opportunistically out of a soup of abuse, poverty, neglect, and chaos - none of which I am planning on exposing my kid to.

I've been expecting to have to settle for learning to love my dumbass kid fall in love with jock poo poo and want to be like an embarrassing MBA bro or something.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s so stress inducing lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my youngest has these homework challenges and they’re somewhat self directed and god it’s heartbreaking

he just sits there in tears, because the topics are too vague and so he doesn’t know where to start them.

it might be like “make a poster of a meaningful person in your life”, and he just can’t even begin it

I totally feel it. he’s such a bright kid, one of the top kids in the class of the top class at school for maths

I’m so awful at self directed work too and have to do some for professional development, and it just feels like it’s really unfair on some people.

like this homework doesn’t really teach anything, there’s not much learning at all, it just distresses him. he goes to bed and cries himself to sleep because he hasn’t completed the tasks even though he’s sat there for hours with them.

imma email the teacher. although don’t know what to say, don’t expect them to say not to do it

spose just wish they’d give more instruction. lack of requirements is a serious hinderance to some people

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i failed a shitload of assignments like that back in the day, including shamefully flunking rhetoric 101 more than once in undergrad

im not sure which thing wound up getting me out of that mindset but i got over it the year i 1) started drinking coffee and 2) had a rhetoric teacher that could explain the logical justification for the topics covered.

One thing that really stuck with me from that class was a brain hack that i still use all the time: when faced with an open-ended problem, come up with way too many answers, just like blast out tens of em, long enough to where the later ones get silly/satirical/stupid; and then skim the list and see which one your brain resonates with (or which one seems easiest if its for work/school).

so for this assignment just bang out like person after person, focused only on people and not execution at all, and then reread the list and pare down to a few that would be easy to convey

then do the same with what to add to the poster, shitload of ideas, pick some entertaining to do (or easy) ones, done.

I really got hung up on perfection and choosing the "right" answer for annoying open-ended stuff like this so reframing it as an exercise in generating too much stuff and then paring down made it a lot easier for me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yes, but paring it down to WHICH ONE?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I think I've messed up with my 19-month-old. He knows exactly what he's not allowed to do, so he says "Nooooo" before he does it :negative:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol, sounds about right to me

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my almost 19 month old looks at you and smirks as he does something he’s not suppose to do

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol that’s very normal and always funny even if you can’t laugh while they’re gleefully willingly disobeying

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

what helped me with those sorts of bullshit assignments was realizing that I was focusing on the wrong part. the vague part was vague because it truly didn't matter.

the person wasn't important at all, the poster was. it could be about Eggman for fucks sake, the teacher just wants a poster describing a person. make a few quick sketches of different poster layouts as they come to mind, pick whichever one clicks best, and that usually provided enough structure to limit down the choice of people to let me decide which person to cram into it.

almost like meta gaming for homework I guess. starting with what I know they want it to look like and building backward. doesn't make it easy, but it did help add enough structure and limits that I could keep somewhat on track even with untreated ADHD

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 2, 2023

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lol that’s very normal and always funny even if you can’t laugh while they’re gleefully willingly disobeying

it is very funny and cute and also horrifying when I see him run into the kitchen saying Noooo

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
any radio guys on here? my son can't get enough of the Hardy Boys and is fascinated by the setting where you can't just reach into your pocket and contact anyone you like anywhere in the world - recent stories have started to feature the boys using their own radio to contact their dad and other people to help them with cases, when I was young we had primitive CB but I took a look at the hobbyisyt state of the art and the idea of being a kid staying up late with a set of headphones scanning for stations and watching the waterfall quickens my Cold War-vintage heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exz7VAFuh4

I was wondering if ham has something to offer kids in 2023 or is it all just greybeards and software out there in the ham band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

it could be about Eggman

don’t you dare plagiarize my work