Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

just have your wife do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

mystes posted:

It's probably the taking them off and putting them on part

yeah it's this. when i didn't have a hosed up back it was fine to do every week but now the mattress is a huge pain in the rear end, and back, to deal with. plus loading the machine also hurts

fart simpson posted:

just have your wife do it

we take turns

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

god, i hate this logo

paul rand was such a hack fraud
Paul Rand sucks!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm missing a spinal disc, it kind of is

This Is Spin̈al Gap

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

changing sheets with back issues sucks, it seems like there should be a better system or assistive device but i can predict there's only expensive solutions with medical-grade coarse sheets

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Agile Vector posted:

changing sheets with back issues sucks, it seems like there should be a better system or assistive device but i can predict there's only expensive solutions with medical-grade coarse sheets

dumb startup idea: sell mattresses that are pre-wrapped in 52 layers of disposable sheets. peel one off every week, and at the end of the year throw the mattress in the trash and buy a new one. never change sheets again!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Internet Janitor posted:

dumb startup idea: sell mattresses that are pre-wrapped in 52 layers of disposable sheets. peel one off every week, and at the end of the year throw the mattress in the trash and buy a new one. never change sheets again!

Sheets as a service

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Agile Vector posted:

something like a shoe horn could do it, idk. i find the duvet cover more annoying than the sheets

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
a mechanical contraption that folds your mattress in half, so you can put the fitted sheet on the ends and let it unfold to pull it tight

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you have a murphy-style bed that folds away, just let it operate the folding mechanism separately from the other bit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jabor posted:

a mechanical contraption that folds your mattress in half, so you can put the fitted sheet on the ends and let it unfold to pull it tight

pretty sure i saw this in a looney tunes

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
the average mattress is 20% dust mites by mass

this fact brought to you by the casper mattress research institute

use coupon code MITES20 for 20% off your new mattress

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm missing a spinal disc

probably under the couch cushions or in the clothes hamper

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Internet Janitor posted:

make the mattress out of sheets

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

probably under the couch cushions or in the clothes hamper

it's always in the last place you look

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

it's always in the last place you look

:hmmyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/VFdEZKx.mp4

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my wife gets mad at me when i change sheets because im doing it wrong, so i just do the pillowcases

also i have six or seven fractured vertebrae so im pretty useless anyway

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

also i have six or seven fractured vertebrae so im pretty useless anyway

same but all my vertebrae are fine

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

i bought this on your earlier recommendation, and seconded, it's a good book

nice glad you enjoyed 👍

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

when i got real depressed during 2020, my husband started a habit of cajoling me into making the bed with him every night, and we've kept it up and it's been a nice little thing for us to do together :unsmith:

so idk, i recommend making it a thing if you have a partner

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Gnossiennes posted:

when i got real depressed during 2020, my husband started a habit of cajoling me into making the bed with him every night, and we've kept it up and it's been a nice little thing for us to do together :unsmith:

so idk, i recommend making it a thing if you have a partner

That’s sweet. Plus it feels incredible to get into a freshly made bed with clean sheets

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

my wife refuses to make the bed and hell, i don't like it either lol

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

we launder sheets weekly, and it's also much much easier to change out a fitted sheet with two people!

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
what do you guys find so hard about fitted sheets?

putting the duvet in the cover is much more annoying, and you'd think by now theyd have made some kind of system that would keep it in place in there

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the corners of the bed up against a wall can be a bit fiddly.

the duvet is really easy, just get the two back corners and stuff them all the way to the corresponding corners of the duvet cover, then hold it by those corners and shake it a bit to distribute the rest of it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

nobody washes their sheets that often what the gently caress
:goonsay: goon wondering why they have back acne

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EricBauman posted:

putting the duvet in the cover is much more annoying, and you'd think by now theyd have made some kind of system that would keep it in place in there

look closer inside your duvet cover and you may find two little cords sewn to each inner corner. you are supposed to tie those around each corner of the duvet so it stays in place.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just live in filth, works4me wontfix

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Sagebrush posted:

look closer inside your duvet cover and you may find two little cords sewn to each inner corner. you are supposed to tie those around each corner of the duvet so it stays in place.

this isn't a thing in the netherlands, im afraid.

i've only recently started to realize how much of bedding is culturally determined, based on ikea changing the sizes of pillowcases they sell in the netherlands. who knew swedish pillows are smaller

i think duvet covers should just have snap fasteners or a bit of velcro sewn into the corners, or maybe the entire upper seam. but in a way that you don't feel them when you're sleeping

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

turn the cover inside-out. put your arms inside and grab the far corners. grab two corners of the duvet along with the cover corners, then pull everything back out through the opening, re-skinning the duvet

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Roosevelt posted:

turn the cover inside-out. put your arms inside and grab the far corners. grab two corners of the duvet along with the cover corners, then pull everything back out through the opening, re-skinning the duvet

:yeah:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

i've only changed a duvet cover once and this is what i did. worked pretty well.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

so I went to google to try to find the name of the short story about someone who lives in this automated mechanical bed that does all the work for him. using the search phrase "story man mechanical bed" I was treated mostly to mattress reviews, and about halfway down the page all the results specifically excluded the word "bed", because apparently what I was REALLY looking for was mattress reviews, and not a story about a bed.

thanks google!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

so I went to google to try to find the name of the short story about someone who lives in this automated mechanical bed that does all the work for him. using the search phrase "story man mechanical bed" I was treated mostly to mattress reviews, and about halfway down the page all the results specifically excluded the word "bed", because apparently what I was REALLY looking for was mattress reviews, and not a story about a bed.

thanks google!

story man, tell me about the mechanical bed again

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
anyway i found this answer: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/177373/a-short-story-about-an-automatic-house-attending-a-recently-deceased-man

which seems close, but not the one I was thinking of.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I mean I'm not some goonlord here but every week is a waste of water and energy imo

I just wait until my wife goes "we're changing the sheets!"

there was so much good poo poo in this film

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I figure the frequency at which it is acceptable to change sheets varies a whole lot depending on whether you shower at night before going to bed or in the morning when getting up, but that's as much as I'm gonna get involved in this.

also flip/turn the mattress around every 3 months or so to keep it in better shape longer.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

EricBauman posted:

this isn't a thing in the netherlands, im afraid.

i've only recently started to realize how much of bedding is culturally determined, based on ikea changing the sizes of pillowcases they sell in the netherlands. who knew swedish pillows are smaller

i think duvet covers should just have snap fasteners or a bit of velcro sewn into the corners, or maybe the entire upper seam. but in a way that you don't feel them when you're sleeping

u sure? im pretty sure its a thing in the ikea duvet covers and idk why theyd make them differently here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Achmed Jones posted:

i've only changed a duvet cover once

:pwn: