Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Beeftweeter posted:

maybe it does in ubuntu, but ubuntu sucks

other people posted:

lol ubuntu pro. What a great name.

more like pubuntu :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

both of them need to stop with the rapid development rolling update bullshit. macos is not immune to this either, it is noticeably worse than it was even 5 years ago

idk how to turn off macos asking me to update it so I've told it to ONLY give notifications between 11pm and 12am so most of the day it doesnt bug me

because you cant just say "no"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

video cards are all hueg like the Xbox now.

I have owned actual entire computers that are smaller than the 3070ti in my computer, and thats not even the biggest of the big cards

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
to be fair, the actual cards are the same size as theyve been for several years. its the coolers

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the PCB of the RTX 3080 i got is taller by at least am inch compared to my RTX 2080. it aint just the coolers

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Be a lot cooler if it was though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the numbers are getting out of hand

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Numbers are wild, they just go on forever, it aint right

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Numbers are wild, they just go on forever, it aint right
take it to the official YOSPOS numbers thread, pal

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I just got a Maximum IMPACT boardset for my Indigo² R10000 system

not sure how much TRAM it has yet (it’ll be either 1MB or 4MB) but it should be pretty sweet, the best graphics you could get in a desktop in 1996

I wish I had the space for a deskside like an Onyx 2…

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

riding the TRAM to the memory bus

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I built a new PC in December, my last PC was probably around 8 years old, and the ati 6700xt PCB is much larger than my slightly newer Nvidia 1050ti I put in as an upgrade in that old computer.

Also lol'd at the M2 slot that is hidden underneath my new GPU on the motherboard. I also thought we'd finally left ribbon cables behind us but the nice power supply I bought had nothing but awkward as hell ribbon cables.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

eschaton posted:

I just got a Maximum IMPACT boardset for my Indigo² R10000 system

not sure how much TRAM it has yet (it’ll be either 1MB or 4MB) but it should be pretty sweet, the best graphics you could get in a desktop in 1996

I wish I had the space for a deskside like an Onyx 2…

I used to have an Octane under my desk at work. It was great as a space heater in winter.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I still have one under my desk, and another in the loft between the Indigo R4000 Élan and the Octane 2, and another couple in my storage that I need to process that were originally used for VFX and are seriously kitted out

my cats love the warm air from the Octane under my desk so much that I need to disassemble it and vacuum off the top grille, it’s downright shaggy now (which will also be a good opportunity to install the PCI cage, upgrade the RAM, upgrade the graphics…)

so I basically have an Onyx 2’s worth of Octanes

eventually I plan to consolidate down to a couple high end ones just as I’ve done with some other stuff like old Macs, that’ll free up a bunch of space and spread the joy as well

eschaton fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 2, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
my boss had an O2 back in ... 97? 98? idk. Anyway it was cool as hell.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
sgis we so fuckin cool back then goddamn

except for the indys those fuckin sucked and everyone hated them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yeah when you get an SGI system you expect it to have hardware 3D

who cares if it’s faster at rendering in software than an Indigo R4K Élan is in hardware, that just means it should have even better hardware (which is basically the Indigo 2)

the Indy was basically SGI’s attempt to move downmarket to try to do the “you can buy all your desktops from us! even your web and print designers’ and your admins’ workstations can be SGI!”

the former actually got some traction thanks to the Adobe apps being ported (I believe because SGI paid Adobe to port them) but the latter never went anywhere because nobody wanted a system without MS Office and nobody wanted to run MS Office in SoftWindows

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
i had a dual itanium workstation, it was slow as poo poo but worked great for heating my room

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol itanium

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

afen posted:

i had a dual itanium workstation, it was slow as poo poo but worked great for heating my room

I have an HP Itanium Blade BL860c with dual CPUs as well. Found it in the trash. Don't power it up often since its a power hog, even for a blade.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

afen posted:

computers are always bad, but there was a long, long period where computers were Really Bad.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i've always regretted not keeping my aptiva, but it was way too expensive to take across the pacific at the time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had a dual xeon workstation (those bad ones during the p4 days) and a 4x15k sas drive array in it.

it was so loud and so hot.

eventually started paying attention to things and not just bringing home every random computer that died at the shop when i did a SMART scan of all the drives in my computer closet and the hd running my firewall reported 72c

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

yeah when you get an SGI system you expect it to have hardware 3D

who cares if it’s faster at rendering in software than an Indigo R4K Élan is in hardware, that just means it should have even better hardware (which is basically the Indigo 2)

the Indy was basically SGI’s attempt to move downmarket to try to do the “you can buy all your desktops from us! even your web and print designers’ and your admins’ workstations can be SGI!”

the former actually got some traction thanks to the Adobe apps being ported (I believe because SGI paid Adobe to port them) but the latter never went anywhere because nobody wanted a system without MS Office and nobody wanted to run MS Office in SoftWindows

an indigo without the go

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bored apes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I am tired of bored apes. these yacht clubs. being caught in the tumbler of their slurp juices.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

itanium these nuts

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

bad news yall we are all laggards on the itanium adoption front

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I got to run some work stuff on a big iron itanium 2 machine right around when those came out. it was actually... really good and really fast.

but I was not paying for it. can't imagine how much the thing cost.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

pmchem posted:

I got to run some work stuff on a big iron itanium 2 machine right around when those came out. it was actually... really good and really fast.

but I was not paying for it. can't imagine how much the thing cost.

was itanium actually any better than x86 (or later x86-64 i guess)?

genuinely curious, i don't think i've ever actually used an itanium box

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

was itanium actually any better than x86 (or later x86-64 i guess)?

genuinely curious, i don't think i've ever actually used an itanium box

on the particular problem I was working, which was largely numerical and parallelizable but not trivially parallel, yes. it was significantly faster wall-time to solution than competing x86 resources.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

pmchem posted:

on the particular problem I was working, which was largely numerical and parallelizable but not trivially parallel, yes. it was significantly faster wall-time to solution than competing x86 resources.

cool. i'm guessing being 64-bit probably helped a lot in that case, it's easy to forget just how limited (for a lack of a better term) things were in the early '00s

now i wonder if it was better than something like alpha or the 64-bit power variants lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

pmchem posted:

this was one of the few markets Itanium did well. big fuckin matrices where you could pipeline a shitload of fused multiply-add ops per clock and never, ever needed to branch, and could use the ridiculously huge cache, and you could scale them up as wide as your budget allowed for lots of memory bandwidth (512 sockets per OS image in NASA's SGI super, in ~2004)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

in a well actually posted:

this was one of the few markets Itanium did well. big fuckin matrices where you could pipeline a shitload of fused multiply-add ops per clock and never, ever needed to branch, and could use the ridiculously huge cache, and you could scale them up as wide as your budget allowed for lots of memory bandwidth (512 sockets per OS image in NASA's SGI super, in ~2004)

yup, good old fortran without any conditionals in the speed-sensitive parts of the code

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

cool. i'm guessing being 64-bit probably helped a lot in that case, it's easy to forget just how limited (for a lack of a better term) things were in the early '00s

now i wonder if it was better than something like alpha or the 64-bit power variants lol

alpha was dead by the Itanium era. regular power was a better general purpose 64 bit system, but performance was pretty similar to itanium on scientific codes, iirc. ibm was pushing blue gene architecture for big science, which were a much simpler and slower processor than regular power or itanium, but there was a lot of them in BG systems

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

wasn't blue gene just a bunch of ppc cores?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

obviously i don't know as much about this as some of you guys, but i think so. it's important to remember that ppc and power are distinct but related

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

embedded ppc; telecom originally

ibm would tell you the fabric/interconnect/glue os was the differentiator

worked well for things that scaled very well because it was slow as poo poo individually

the last one used ps3 / xbox360 derived cores

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

got to run my stuff on a blue gene once, i hated the entire OS setup and arch. it sucked and deserved its death despite whatever marketing hype came out of ibm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

for a site anniversary they did tours so i got to see the room where they staged the full blue gene/l system for testing which was cool