Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Internaut! posted:

any radio guys on here? my son can't get enough of the Hardy Boys and is fascinated by the setting where you can't just reach into your pocket and contact anyone you like anywhere in the world - recent stories have started to feature the boys using their own radio to contact their dad and other people to help them with cases, when I was young we had primitive CB but I took a look at the hobbyisyt state of the art and the idea of being a kid staying up late with a set of headphones scanning for stations and watching the waterfall quickens my Cold War-vintage heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exz7VAFuh4

I was wondering if ham has something to offer kids in 2023 or is it all just greybeards and software out there in the ham band?

radios cool and cheaper than ever. it is mostly greybeards but if they think it's fun who cares

if they only care about listening, you can get a decent tecsun shortwave for like $80, or you can set them up with an sdr dongle for super cheap. if they want to tx, baofeng is cheap for vhf/uhf. hf is still kinda pricey but you can get old radios for a couple hundred bucks. i got my ic-735 for $200

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i stg how does this kid get colds when she hardly ever leaves the house?

how do I somehow get a worse version of the colds she gets, at that?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echinopsis posted:

my youngest has these homework challenges and they’re somewhat self directed and god it’s heartbreaking
Our 9YO has kinda the same and we've just been working on making bite-size chunks out of everything. Project management 101 I guess.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 2, 2023

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

kitten emergency posted:

they actually make the viruses in their noses. scientists don’t want you to know because no one knows how to stop them.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

kitten emergency posted:

when she gets exposed she gets exposed hard. and so it goes for you too

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
kids lick everything

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Kids Lick Everything Around Me

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Achmed Jones posted:

radios cool and cheaper than ever. it is mostly greybeards but if they think it's fun who cares

if they only care about listening, you can get a decent tecsun shortwave for like $80, or you can set them up with an sdr dongle for super cheap. if they want to tx, baofeng is cheap for vhf/uhf. hf is still kinda pricey but you can get old radios for a couple hundred bucks. i got my ic-735 for $200

ya I see some great used deals

but then again, waterfall on a handheld? 😍

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cM-KTuIcl8&t=63s

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

kids lick everything

guess im still a kid :q:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

prisoner of waffles posted:

Kids Lick Everything Around Me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

tantrums reign

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

tantrums reign

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

me, trying to get out of a bean bag chair

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
oh I had always wondered where kids got the whole “collapse on the floor in rage when you try to get them to stop doing something they shouldn’t do” and figured it was a socialized behavior but nah, kiddos figured that one out all on her own.

tantrums rule, can’t wait for her to get even bigger!!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mini pony's first rage flop had both of us trying very very hard not to laugh.

he didn't want to stop "cooking" and get out of his learning tower. but there wasn't enough room in the learning tower to flop so he stopped "cooking", got out of his learning tower, and flopped on the floor.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

my youngest has these homework challenges and they’re somewhat self directed and god it’s heartbreaking

he just sits there in tears, because the topics are too vague and so he doesn’t know where to start them.

it might be like “make a poster of a meaningful person in your life”, and he just can’t even begin it

I totally feel it. he’s such a bright kid, one of the top kids in the class of the top class at school for maths

I’m so awful at self directed work too and have to do some for professional development, and it just feels like it’s really unfair on some people.

like this homework doesn’t really teach anything, there’s not much learning at all, it just distresses him. he goes to bed and cries himself to sleep because he hasn’t completed the tasks even though he’s sat there for hours with them.

imma email the teacher. although don’t know what to say, don’t expect them to say not to do it

spose just wish they’d give more instruction. lack of requirements is a serious hinderance to some people

I was the same way. Homework is bullshit

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

our three year old will all of a sudden get real pissed at you for not getting him something he asked for (he never asked for it)

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
somehow between the age of a few months and nearly 7 years we lost sleep training

now we have a kid who says he's super scared of the dark and needs either my wife or i to sit with him while he falls asleep. it's maddening but i feel so bad for him. i remember being that age and being scared of the dark but at the same time c'mon man after 8:15 is basically the only time my wife and i have

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

my kiddo has done like 1 angry flop ever and I laughed at it and she cheered up. when she sees other kids pitching a fit at the shops or whatever, she kinda glares at them like "you make us all look like poo poo". weird kid but i approve

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
my 5yo literally punched my neighbor (a grown man) in the face the other day so I'm fairly loving envious of parents with kids that can control their fuckin tempers

we're working on it with her teachers and counseling and OT but christ it is slow going.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, take it easy. you don’t want to piss her off.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
my kid has no problem with anger… he just can’t control anything.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Corla Plankun posted:

my 5yo literally punched my neighbor (a grown man) in the face the other day so I'm fairly loving envious of parents with kids that can control their fuckin tempers

we're working on it with her teachers and counseling and OT but christ it is slow going.

Did he deserve it though?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

President Beep posted:

lmao

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

oh I had always wondered where kids got the whole “collapse on the floor in rage when you try to get them to stop doing something they shouldn’t do” and figured it was a socialized behavior but nah, kiddos figured that one out all on her own.

tantrums rule, can’t wait for her to get even bigger!!
A picture of our kid laying face down on the floor is one of my most prized possessions. Not letting them use the hoover past the 20mn we agreed was child abuse, you see

President Beep posted:

My dad? Yeah he fell down the stairs. He's gonna fall again next time my brekkie's late, too.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 3, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

, come up with way too many answers,

I think one of the issues for my youngest is that he lacks imagination. I sometimes wonder if he has that aphantasia thing. he’s extremely competent with things in front of him, like sports, gaming, math. but he hates reading books without pictures, and he’s never really enjoyed movies that are animated vs real
people. when he gets really bored he gets really really upset, he just lies there.

all of these things and other things over the years have made me wonder if he has some kind of fundamental lack of imagination, lack of ability to invent something new in his mind.

I just asked him if he thinks he has a good imagination and he immediately said no and I asked why he thinks that and he said “because I don’t imagine anything”, and idk how accurate the self reporting is but he’s previously spent time arguing that imagination is a worthless skill

anyway all of this adds up to struggling to do a piece of homework that requires you to come up with ideas of your own, even if they’re very simple

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

haven’t posted in the ‘pos in ages. thankfully my anxiety is getting better and my son is growing well.

poor little guy has an inguinal hernia though, which apparently is pretty common in male preemies. we got him checked at a urologist on last saturday but they still haven’t called us to schedule the surgery. my wife can’t get through to them either. waiting around for this kind of thing is just killing me, i want the poor little guy fixed, like tomorrow!

he’s also starting to fuss at the end of feedings. i’ll burp him then give him the bottle when he demands it and then goes “how dare you put a bottle in my mouth like i asked” and moves his head to the side.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Eeyo posted:

he’s also starting to fuss at the end of feedings. i’ll burp him then give him the bottle when he demands it and then goes “how dare you put a bottle in my mouth like i asked” and moves his head to the side.

Get used to this attitude for the next 20 years

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Eeyo posted:

haven’t posted in the ‘pos in ages. thankfully my anxiety is getting better and my son is growing well.

poor little guy has an inguinal hernia though, which apparently is pretty common in male preemies. we got him checked at a urologist on last saturday but they still haven’t called us to schedule the surgery. my wife can’t get through to them either. waiting around for this kind of thing is just killing me, i want the poor little guy fixed, like tomorrow!

poor kiddo. they’re resilient little things, but i do hope you’re able to get this sorted asap regardless.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
the other day, my youngest told me he wanted to go for a bike ride, right before our usual dinner time. dinner was easy to postpone or split up and my guy seemed unusually determined so I rolled with it. we went to a local playground and back, with him on a balance bike and me on a non-electric scooter. He tried to shoot some basketball and we played some soccer on the playground and then we went back home. mile and a half round trip.

felt good

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
went to the library just because, turns out we turned up at the perfect time because all three kids are reading to therapy dogs in training right now :3:

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

the youngest boy has been playing football (soccer) for almost a year now and after losing pretty much every game they finally had a victory today. and not a shy one either at 14-1. i'm so happy for him, he was really losing interest and motivation

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my 8 yr old beat the first dark souls boss on his 3rd try. :darksouls:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

polyester concept posted:

:pinches bridge of nose:
oh no, my kids are going to be so bad at video games.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

polyester concept posted:

trip report when hes beaten capra demon :smuggo:

hell ya little dude!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

prisoner of waffles posted:

:pinches bridge of nose:
oh no, my kids are going to be so bad at video games.

:negative:

It is so hard to watch my children poorly play video games. I love them too much to say "git gud, scrubs"

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I dug the wii out of storage a month or so ago. one of the (almost 6yo) twins is already winning at 150cc Mario kart, the other one can rip off strikes in wii bowling like nobody’s business.

Did some Wii fit games today and that didn’t go so well, lol

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
My 10yo is finally getting good enough to beat me at Smash Bros. I am now old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

MrQueasy posted:

My 10yo is finally getting good enough to beat me at Smash Bros. I am now old.

god i can't wait for this. when my kid is old enough to beat me at games we are going to have so much fun