Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I started watching some of his videos recently too. I think maybe he’s grown since then? Idk but I haven’t seen many red flags in the maybe ten vids I’ve watched. I don’t think I’d be friends with the guy or anything… but as far as tech YouTubers go, I like people who know there poo poo and he seems to

I’d for sure drop him in a heartbeat if he shows any chud tendencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

They seem vaguely lowercase-l libertarian. So not assholes I think

Yeah I was on the fence about him initially. Then he said AI police sketch software is gonna inevitably result in more PoC getting arrested unjustly so I figure he’s at least on the up and up about these sort of issues instead of saying how the free market would solve this or something.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Louis Rossmann is a land of contrasts. He hates paying taxes but he also really hates Elon Musk. I just watch for the board repairs and cat content.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

He can't be all bad if he sees through Elon. That's refreshing these days in the tech world.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

buglord posted:

Yeah I was on the fence about him initially. Then he said AI police sketch software is gonna inevitably result in more PoC getting arrested unjustly so I figure he’s at least on the up and up about these sort of issues instead of saying how the free market would solve this or something.

Wendell on L1Techs is cool, and Krista as well, but Ryan went from dipshit internet libertarian to watching fox news and repeating their talking points about how men can't be women because biology and poo poo. So, I still watch the reviews and Wendell's stuff but stopped watching their news stuff, which is a shame because tech specific news was a good idea.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Rexxed posted:

Wendell on L1Techs is cool, and Krista as well, but Ryan went from dipshit internet libertarian to watching fox news and repeating their talking points about how men can't be women because biology and poo poo. So, I still watch the reviews and Wendell's stuff but stopped watching their news stuff, which is a shame because tech specific news was a good idea.

I've watched a handful of their news segments and until now I didn't know the non-Wendells on there even had names.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He can't be all bad if he sees through Elon. That's refreshing these days in the tech world.

I was watching a Dawid Does Tech Stuff video last night and he said the MSI prebuilt was "built shoddier than a Tesla" and I laughed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tick tock it's GN prebuilt o'clock. Possibly the loudest custom loop system I've ever heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflZYG5DWPg

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

njsykora posted:

Tick tock it's GN prebuilt o'clock. Possibly the loudest custom loop system I've ever heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflZYG5DWPg

That paint damage is a clear indicator of not opening the case during inspection which doesn't bode well. Non updating the bios isn't uncommon on asus/msi prebuilts, since they validate the cards on the stock bios so they would have to run all the validation tests with each one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

That paint damage is a clear indicator of not opening the case during inspection which doesn't bode well. Non updating the bios isn't uncommon on asus/msi prebuilts, since they validate the cards on the stock bios so they would have to run all the validation tests with each one.

In this case though they shipped a 5800x3d with a bios that had support for zen 3 but not for the x3d. They didn’t go into it but in addition to running at base clocks it would’ve been limited to a 5800’s cache as well. That part seems pretty inexcusable.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Hahaha, watching the videos on the Oneplus concept phone from ltt and mkbhd back to back is pretty revealing.
A sponsored video will inevitably be different, but having mkbhd as the dissenting voice is pretty funny

Maybe linus got a different phone? If not, then lol lmao and smh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mr Beast lookin rear end thumbnail :cripes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8bZCve_ZKA

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SponsorBlock throwing up a banner I've never seen before saying "This whole video is self promotion". Also my t-shirt saying I'm not stupid is answering a lot of questions etc etc.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

SponsorBlock throwing up a banner I've never seen before saying "This whole video is self promotion". Also my t-shirt saying I'm not stupid is answering a lot of questions etc etc.

lmao they’ve reached the end state of skipping whole videos

mewse
May 2, 2006

njsykora posted:

Lollll

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
and another thing: i'm not stupid. please dont put on youtube that i'm stupid

(haven't watched the video at all, I just found the video title amusing)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Is the LTT Labs thing just a running joke and/or some kind of money laundering scheme at this point? It feels like he announced it 2+ years ago and it seems all they’ve done is buy several buildings and do nothing other than shuffle some folding tables around.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

don't sell them short, they also bought a bunch of expensive instruments they haven't done anything with yet. $50k for the headphone testing rig alone.

speaking of which, GN still haven't done anything with their fancy fan tester either

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Edit: ^^^^^ https://www.reddit.com/r/GamersNexus/comments/101lk3m/fan_testing_rig/j2x1gio/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf&context=3

Branch Nvidian posted:

Is the LTT Labs thing just a running joke and/or some kind of money laundering scheme at this point? It feels like he announced it 2+ years ago and it seems all they’ve done is buy several buildings and do nothing other than shuffle some folding tables around.

They needed a new building because tech Jesus rented a new space, got fancy new equipment and ripped Linus a new one for being an idiot about backpack warranties.

This may not be true but it sure feels right :v:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 1, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

repiv posted:

speaking of which, GN still haven't done anything with their fancy fan tester either

I at least trust GN’s track record. And Steve even outright said it would take years before they would ever even start to see a return on investment with it. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re benchmarking stuff with it but need to collect way more data before they feel comfortable talking about stuff.

hobbesmaster posted:

They needed a new building because tech Jesus rented a new space, got fancy new equipment and ripped Linus a new one for being an idiot about backpack warranties.

This may not be true but it sure feels right :v:

That feels very accurate.

The initial Labs announcement felt, to me at the very least, like he had maybe tried to buy GN out and got turned down, so he decided to make a competitor. That could be way off base from reality, but it’s the vibe I got off it.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 1, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hopefully they end up getting more mileage out of the fan gear than the PSU gear, they very rarely do PSU content outside of covering models known to explode

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

they very rarely do any reviews at all it seems like. I like GN and their reviews, but it feels like they are becoming too obsessed with perfect test methodology and are forgetting that even the most meticulous reviews aren't very useful without a large number of points of comparison. Like, what good are the results from the six or so PSUs they've reviewed so far if we don't know how they stack up against the rest of the market? I know this is way easier said than done (especially since I'm sure this is a lot of work), but at some point they just need to say that their methodology is good enough and start pumping out reviews. they can iterate on the process as they go.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

LTT labs feels kind of like how half of their merch exists to solve problems that linus personally experiences, except with like three more zeroes on the budget. I am amazed how much stuff they own (or will own) with seemingly no real direction. No "walk before you can run" at all. LMG seems to have enough money that it's not going to kill them but I genuinely wonder if they have an actual viable business plan after "do thing linus thinks is cool".

Though honestly if I had that kind of money to waste the labs concept is hardly the worst thing to spend it on.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I should actually watch this vid, I’m curious about where the lab is located and what kind of setup it has. I bet he has way overspecced the power and underspecced the cooling :haw:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

power crystals posted:

LTT labs feels kind of like how half of their merch exists to solve problems that linus personally experiences, except with like three more zeroes on the budget. I am amazed how much stuff they own (or will own) with seemingly no real direction. No "walk before you can run" at all. LMG seems to have enough money that it's not going to kill them but I genuinely wonder if they have an actual viable business plan after "do thing linus thinks is cool".

Though honestly if I had that kind of money to waste the labs concept is hardly the worst thing to spend it on.

to be fair it seems like the shop is a big success, so maybe Linus’ problems are a good divining rod for business.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

they very rarely do any reviews at all it seems like. I like GN and their reviews, but it feels like they are becoming too obsessed with perfect test methodology and are forgetting that even the most meticulous reviews aren't very useful without a large number of points of comparison. Like, what good are the results from the six or so PSUs they've reviewed so far if we don't know how they stack up against the rest of the market? I know this is way easier said than done (especially since I'm sure this is a lot of work), but at some point they just need to say that their methodology is good enough and start pumping out reviews. they can iterate on the process as they go.

I bet if you asked the response would be "well no-one watches them" which is something I could've told them because no-one gets excited about power supplies like they do about CPUs, GPUs, cases and prebuilts which are the 4 things they actually regularly review. They basically stopped doing cooler reviews too and I'd bet they're going to find out pretty quickly no-one gets excited about specific case fans either except the kinds of people who are crazy about min/maxing their rig. If I had to guess they're not actually going to review fans, but have fan testing be an additional element in prebuilt and case reviews.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

A big head to head of fans could probably be popular, but yeah, in depth reviews of individual fans would bore even me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

I bet if you asked the response would be "well no-one watches them" which is something I could've told them because no-one gets excited about power supplies like they do about CPUs, GPUs, cases and prebuilts which are the 4 things they actually regularly review. They basically stopped doing cooler reviews too and I'd bet they're going to find out pretty quickly no-one gets excited about specific case fans either except the kinds of people who are crazy about min/maxing their rig. If I had to guess they're not actually going to review fans, but have fan testing be an additional element in prebuilt and case reviews.

I bet that wouldn't be the response at all. GN is investing in these areas despite knowing ahead of time that they won't pull in the viewers like some other content would, and Steve straight up said that he doesn't really care about that and that he expected the fan tester investment to be a net loss for them.

GN is simply understaffed for their level of ambition. Steve actually reduced the amount of content published on GN recently in a conscious decision to improve the work-life balance of the team, but at the same time, he also says he doesn't want to grow the team too large and deal with all the hassle managing a large team entails. All the while, they're investing in PSU and fan testing equipment and are falling behind on cooler and case reviews too. Steve is trying to find an ideal balance for the direction of GN, and I don't think he's really hitting it. From my perspective in the armchair, it seems like he should just bite the bullet and hire a few more people who can help them get a good rate of output for reviews.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 1, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Adolf Glitter posted:

A big head to head of fans could probably be popular, but yeah, in depth reviews of individual fans would bore even me.

Ah, but what if your viewers made 3d models of fan blades to fit on a 120mm noctua and you did many seasons of a fan showdown, 3d printing and testing the designs against each other? Major Hardware is on season 5 of it as an ongoing competition thing. That's good content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znDHfBmaYiw

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re benchmarking stuff with it but need to collect way more data before they feel comfortable talking about stuff.
No need to be surprised at all, establishing a baseline is a very very important part of statistics scientific discipline - and before you can do that, you have to learn the equipment.

It takes a while to build up enough datapoints, though - I'm pretty sure they're still in the early days of that process.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

well why not posted:

to be fair it seems like the shop is a big success, so maybe Linus’ problems are a good divining rod for business.

LMG is certainly very successful at basically everything they do, I don't think anyone will contest that, it's more that the labs is a very underpants-gnomes business model where right now we're in the "???" phase. Will it eventually generate income? No doubt. Will it become revenue positive? Less certain, but not unlikely. How long will that take and how will they get there? Who knows.

I bet that wouldn't be the response at all. GN is investing in these areas despite knowing ahead of time that they won't pull in the viewers like some other content would, and Steve straight up said that he doesn't really care about that and that he expected the fan tester investment to be a net loss for them.

GN is simply understaffed for their level of ambition. Steve actually reduced the amount of content published on GN recently in a conscious decision to improve the work-life balance of the team, but at the same time, he also says he doesn't want to grow the team too large and deal with all the hassle managing a large team entails. All the while, they're investing in PSU and fan testing equipment and are falling behind on cooler and case reviews too. Steve is trying to find an ideal balance for the direction of GN, and I don't think he's really hitting it. From my perspective in the armchair, it seems like he should just bite the bullet and hire a few more people who can help them get a good rate of output for reviews.

I think GN's biggest issue at this point is it's The Steve Show. The other guys contribute a tremendous amount of work of course but he is the sole face and appears to make most of the major decisions. Minimally they'd probably want a second presenter, and no ill will meant to the rest of the GN team but none of them really have the charisma that requires (the taller Patrick is closest but he's still nowhere near Steve's level). On the other hand, Steve is basically their entire brand, so I can appreciate the hesitation to change that. Let Steve do the hardware news and investigative stuff and probably the major launches and let some new guy talk about "this case fan is 15% better than that one". Which don't get me wrong I'd still probably wind up watching, but priorities.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rexxed posted:

Ah, but what if your viewers made 3d models of fan blades to fit on a 120mm noctua and you did many seasons of a fan showdown, 3d printing and testing the designs against each other? Major Hardware is on season 5 of it as an ongoing competition thing. That's good content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znDHfBmaYiw

Does YouTube check embeds to build your profile, because I got this channel in my recommendations after seeing this (but without actually clicking the video)? Or just a coincidence?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rinkles posted:

Does YouTube check embeds to build your profile, because I got this channel in my recommendations after seeing this (but without actually clicking the video)? Or just a coincidence?

it might do impressions, but i have also had youtube recommend the same video to me and my friends because we share videos so often that i believe it has created a link between our accounts and recommend the same video to both of us.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Looks like Major Hardware is in Michigan, it would be a bit of a trip but it would be awesome to see some sort of collab testing his best/weirdest fans in GN's fan tester.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

power crystals posted:

I think GN's biggest issue at this point is it's The Steve Show. The other guys contribute a tremendous amount of work of course but he is the sole face and appears to make most of the major decisions. Minimally they'd probably want a second presenter, and no ill will meant to the rest of the GN team but none of them really have the charisma that requires (the taller Patrick is closest but he's still nowhere near Steve's level). On the other hand, Steve is basically their entire brand, so I can appreciate the hesitation to change that. Let Steve do the hardware news and investigative stuff and probably the major launches and let some new guy talk about "this case fan is 15% better than that one". Which don't get me wrong I'd still probably wind up watching, but priorities.

They have had more people appear on camera recently, entire extras videos that didn't have Steve in at all and Big Patrick on camera doing his own build notes segments instead of Steve reading his notes like they did in the past. Charisma on camera comes with experience though, look at Steve just 4 years ago in his prime reading the article into a camera phase. I think he's said he wants more people presenting than just himself and is having that as part of hiring going forward too, he seems to want more people to be able to do everything and pass on their knowledge. Like everyone should be able to at least do a basic edit job on a video, everyone should be able to write their own script, hell just the fact that they have credits for everyone who was involved in a video's production is extremely rare in tech Youtube.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

They have had more people appear on camera recently, entire extras videos that didn't have Steve in at all and Big Patrick on camera doing his own build notes segments instead of Steve reading his notes like they did in the past. Charisma on camera comes with experience though, look at Steve just 4 years ago in his prime reading the article into a camera phase. I think he's said he wants more people presenting than just himself and is having that as part of hiring going forward too, he seems to want more people to be able to do everything and pass on their knowledge. Like everyone should be able to at least do a basic edit job on a video, everyone should be able to write their own script, hell just the fact that they have credits for everyone who was involved in a video's production is extremely rare in tech Youtube.

to be fair, LTT has credits too (although Linus seems to get a credit for fuckin everything in everything he's in and more)

mewse
May 2, 2006

I remember when Riley was new at LTT and he’s a charisma guy not a tech guy.

Anyway Riley cohosted the WAN show and asked if he could review the new nvidia card and Linus said “no, you’re unqualified” and then the next week Linus tried to tell viewers that it was a big inside joke between him and Riley that Linus acts like a dick.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Dan has quickly become one of my favorite LTT staff

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anthony is still my LTT crush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

mewse posted:

I remember when Riley was new at LTT and he’s a charisma guy not a tech guy.

Anyway Riley cohosted the WAN show and asked if he could review the new nvidia card and Linus said “no, you’re unqualified” and then the next week Linus tried to tell viewers that it was a big inside joke between him and Riley that Linus acts like a dick.

Oh the horror