Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
literally just explained it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

yeah sure you don't like pressing the same 20/30 buttons in the same order every 2 minutes, so how is reducing your active buttons to 3/4 for damage and then pressing a shield and a regen every 30 seconds any better?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

unreal tournament only needs seven buttons and a mouse wheel, and that includes the movement controls. Simple. Pure. Elegant

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i am not ashamed to admit that my main motivations for playing MMOs are pretty princess dressup, taking screenshots with the boys, and also idling somewhere cool overnight

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quote:

so how is reducing your active buttons to 3/4 for damage and then pressing a shield and a regen every 30 seconds any better?

your skill level is low. looooooow.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i think jonny is saying he throws in a dps rotation in between heals.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im a dps class that occasionally will mash a button to save your life, but i wont' do it too early, because tanks sometimes need to be reminded who's really in charge here

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

unreal tournament only needs seven buttons and a mouse wheel, and that includes the movement controls. Simple. Pure. Elegant

did anyone other than me play UT3? i played a shitload of it back in the day, much more so when UT3 Black Edition was released. apparently no one else did which seems to be confirmed by the fact that of the top ~20 rarest cheevos on my Steam account more than half are for UT3. i really enjoyed it. the addition of necris vehicles in black edition was dope and fun as heck

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

i think jonny is saying he throws in a dps rotation in between heals.

yeah, but now his dps rotation is even more boring than it otherwise would be and healing is so predictable and simple i dont quite understand how that can be more engaging than the alternative

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i prefer whm's thrilling dps rotation:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

drunkenly berating my fairy for not pulling their weight as we wipe for the third time in halitali

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gnossiennes posted:

is that poo poo set up on a mousewheel macro like my hunter in wow during tbc? that poo poo was fun i truly don't care what anyone says.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

drunkenly berating my fairy for not pulling their weight as we wipe for the third time in halitali

getting into enormous, drawn out eos vs selene fights

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Does anyone play guild wars 2 i always heard that was good, does it still have an active community?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

is that poo poo set up on a mousewheel macro like my hunter in wow during tbc? that poo poo was fun i truly don't care what anyone says.

macros in ffxiv are a lot less powerful than in wow, and don't queue at all so you are going to lose casts of off globals occasionally if you macro abilities

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah you can only do delays on 1sec intervals which will gently caress all your timers up

i dont know if ahk is allowed or not, i am sure yoshi-sama dislikes it tho

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr. Crow posted:

Does anyone play guild wars 2 i always heard that was good, does it still have an active community?

I used to, the community is kind of small but dedicated.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I play DPS and simply don't give a gently caress about whether I'm doing good since it doesn't meaningfully change the outcome (boss dies) since I don't play on savage or whatever

I care a lot more in wow because there my goal is to murder other players

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

moyda

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

did anyone other than me play UT3? i played a shitload of it back in the day, much more so when UT3 Black Edition was released. apparently no one else did which seems to be confirmed by the fact that of the top ~20 rarest cheevos on my Steam account more than half are for UT3. i really enjoyed it. the addition of necris vehicles in black edition was dope and fun as heck

yeah ut3 owned, not as much as 2k4 but what does? loved the hoverboards, great solution to getting around a big open map with limited vehicles

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I always confused UT3 with Championship; I liked only one of them but can never remember which one :(

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

yeah ut3 owned, not as much as 2k4 but what does? loved the hoverboards, great solution to getting around a big open map with limited vehicles

I remember camping some guy with a tank in the ut3 demo ctf map because he kept trying to cross the map using the exact same route every time, until he lost it in chat

this was my first real taste of getting someone really mad for a stupid reason in an online game and i've been chasing that high ever since

I also preferred ut2k4 though. ignoring objectives and just slicing people with mantas in their own base :allears:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Zlodo posted:

I play DPS and simply don't give a gently caress about whether I'm doing good since it doesn't meaningfully change the outcome (boss dies) since I don't play on savage or whatever

I care a lot more in wow because there my goal is to murder other players

i play dps because i like when i go into a trance like state when i tunnel vision in on my hotbar

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

slicing or squishing people with mantas ftw

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
UT99 is my favourite in the series, had a great map selection (even better with the many community maps) and a sweet soundtrack that I still listen to.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i played ut3 for a bit as well. i liked the addition of the weapon-specific killing sprees, always fun getting ROCKET SCIENTIST or w/e

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

idk if embedded chosts work yet so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

I hate this and everything it represents.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Gnossiennes posted:

the special move is called Afflatus? is it fart magic?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The other special move is apparently "rear end size", so I'm definitely picking up on a theme here.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

wait'll you find out about assize

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

extremely sus

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

phat rear end white mage

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I liked UT3, but it suffered a bit from gears-of-war-ification, and the mod community was nowhere near as big as it was for the earlier games. UT2k4 was the high point of the series.

Buck Turgidson posted:

UT99 is my favourite in the series, had a great map selection (even better with the many community maps) and a sweet soundtrack that I still listen to.

Ut99 will always have a place in my heart, but you can essentially play UT 99 inside 2K4. There's a map pack that ports over all the maps including the music, and another mod that brings in remastered versions of the UT 99 weapons with all the correct damage and firing rates and everything. 2k4 is all you need.

I listen to run.umx regularly.

carry on then posted:

i played ut3 for a bit as well. i liked the addition of the weapon-specific killing sprees, always fun getting ROCKET SCIENTIST or w/e

Yeah I think that was my favorite part too lol. 2k4 only has headhunter, flak monkey, and combo whore.

Also

Jenny Agutter posted:

slicing or squishing people with mantas ftw

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I listen to run.umx regularly.

I listen to Foregone Destruction at least once a week it seems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0G6WPuss4

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Gnossiennes posted:

this is technically correct but also in practice it mixes it up with the afflatus family of spells to heal the party as necessary. also it makes it perfect for vibing when stoned

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I miss the abstract as hell level design of those older arena shooters. Part of why I enjoyed Cruelty Squad, gave me a similar sort of feel in an immersive sim type package.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i love whm, it's my favorite ffxiv healer. sage is fun and active, but whm is just good and chill. scholar is Good now, but i've just never been able to wrap my head around it properly. i have everything at 90, but i don't really play anything other than dps at cap tho, mostly just smn, dnc, and drg.

i also haven't really played much in the past six months, because i've been playing old jrpgs instead. currently towards the end of dq8 and just started ff9 :shobon:

Roosevelt posted:

well, there's afflatus solace, afflatus rapture, and afflatus misery. afflatus as a word is like some weird "divine inspiration" thing but also means "to blow on", which i'm guessing has the same root word as flatus. but yeah afflatus misery is probably a sorta fart joke. that said, it was a whm spell in FFXI first, and was reused in FFXIV.

on a similar topic, i went through and played through most of FFXI's main story content last year (well most of the expansions), and obviously a lot of final fantasy content is reused or shifted between games, but it was still surprising to see how many storylines are similar between FFXI and FFXIV. and the game as a whole was better than i expected, although the UI is absolute dogshit.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i was an astrolgian main for the longest time, best healer, most buttons to press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Gnossiennes posted:

on a similar topic, i went through and played through most of FFXI's main story content last year (well most of the expansions), and obviously a lot of final fantasy content is reused or shifted between games, but it was still surprising to see how many storylines are similar between FFXI and FFXIV. and the game as a whole was better than i expected, although the UI is absolute dogshit.

11 is one of those games i want to enjoy, but the game is just so clunky it takes so much effort to play
and i have a lot of patience for clunky ui and game design, to which my hundreds of hours of OG dwarf fortress can attest