Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

What a timely reference! An album that came out 32 years ago! :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Meanwhile, over on the official Sinfest forums:

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
That is just loving sad. When they made that boy they forgot to put in the quit.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

“We Wuz Robbed” isn’t a sign that Bok is racist, it’s a sign that he’s really really old. It used to be a pretty common catchphrase in sports with exactly that spelling, and it had nothing to do with AAVE, it was based on Joe Jacob’s NY accent.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/we-wuz-robbed

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Skios posted:

Meanwhile, over on the official Sinfest forums:

LMAO he has it post per-strip discussion topics automatically? That's self-assured

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Brawnfire posted:

LMAO he has it post per-strip discussion topics automatically? That's self-assured

Curiosity compelled me to check out the single post with a reply, where I discovered that they aren't automated. They're posted, with commentary, by a regular user. Who signs each post.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
That’s somehow even sadder

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

:stare:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Those threads are getting views, though. Hundreds of views after a few weeks. I'm guessing non-account views are counted.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
How many of those views are web crawler bots?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Hahaha! Take that, Jennifer Granholm!

Hang on. Doesn't Jennifer Granholm run the Energy Department?

‘Atlanta will be fine,’ Buckhead resident says of secession

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

*sigh* AGC.

So, the American government should fund, regulate, or otherwise encourage more parental leave and childcare options for the people who choose to raise a family despite the hardship, right?

And all pregnancy and childbirth-related medical costs should be fully reimbursed under Medicare for All, right?

And there should be more funding for public schools, which most American children have to attend (because charter school spots are limited and most parents can't afford to send their children to a private school). Public school funding should be statewide or nationwide, and not completely hosed for the families who live in impoverished areas with low property tax revenue... RIGHT???

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Matt Hancock’s care for care homes – Politician who resigned after being caught in a clinch now faces claims he ignored advice"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Independent:

Hancock claims texts showing he ignored Covid care home advice were ‘doctored’

Times:

Evening Standard:

Amanda Holden dresses up as Dorothy as she joins stars in celebrating World Book Day

Stephen Collins:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Victar posted:

*sigh* AGC.

So, the American government should fund, regulate, or otherwise encourage more parental leave and childcare options for the people who choose to raise a family despite the hardship, right?

And all pregnancy and childbirth-related medical costs should be fully reimbursed under Medicare for All, right?

And there should be more funding for public schools, which most American children have to attend (because charter school spots are limited and most parents can't afford to send their children to a private school). Public school funding should be statewide or nationwide, and not completely hosed for the families who live in impoverished areas with low property tax revenue... RIGHT???

No we just need to stop talking about those things so everyone can get back to pumping out the next cohort of workers and soldiers

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

No love for letters: Australia Post’s daily deliveries under review as traditional mail declines (Guardian).

Rowe:

Ex-minister Stuart Robert 'takes responsibility' for Robodebt implementation, admits defending it despite knowing it could be unlawful (ABC).

Le Lievre:

This has been sparked by the Robodebt royal commission.

Katauskas:

Wilcox:

This is about the shaping of the arguments on the superannuation tax concession changes (see cartoons below).

Knight:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I know this the Metropolis robot but I keep seeing sexy C-3P0

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

wizzardstaff posted:

Curiosity compelled me to check out the single post with a reply, where I discovered that they aren't automated. They're posted, with commentary, by a regular user. Who signs each post.
Someone's gotta comment. It'll make the guy's day.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Get help"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

oh no those poor aristocrats

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Brawnfire posted:

Split the difference with this Old Republic character.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Lisa Benson

Jeff Stahler

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Pedro X. Molina

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Generally I prefer these comics to contain a little bit of hyperbole, but what can you do?

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

The numbers used by the Right to describe both the deadliness of fentanyl and the number of undocumented immigrants entering the United States are insane overestimates. A good cartoon.

David M. Hitch

Darrin Bell

Randall Enos

Dave Whamond

Drew Sheneman

Dave Granlund

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: We Have Seen the Future, and It Is Stupid

Ted Rall posted:

Open AI’s ChatGPT has captured the imagination of the American public with the prospect that artificial intelligence has finally arrived at the high level promised by science fiction. But many tests find that the product is more inferior than one might expect.

First Dog on the Moon: Everyone is anxious, exhausted, in a flap. How can we help ourselves to get by?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Gary Varvel

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

I don't think I've ever seen someone prove their opponent's point so directly.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

Lou Reed came back to save us all from bad music.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

The Biden's ordered the same pasta dish at a restaurant, and had wine with their meal. Fox News has exposed a new dijon-level scandal!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Tame"

I'd unpack that but why even bother

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

No we just need to stop talking about those things so everyone can get back to pumping out the next cohort of workers and soldiers

It’s amazing they all smugly said to millennials “Guess you should have been fiscally responsible by not taking out student loans, huh? Maybe have some personal responsibility with money instead of having avocado toast!” and now that we’re choosing not to have kids because they’re super loving expensive and we simply can’t afford to have families they’re all starting to panic going “No, not financially responsible like that!”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone prove their opponent's point so directly.

It's incredible.

It even shows why toxic masculinity is so harmful to men! You aren't acting like a stereotypical 1980s tough guy? You must have been castrated, maybe a woman has your balls in a little pink purse!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Trapezium Dave posted:

For a brief moment, I thought there had to be a good, if dated joke there. I mean, even Rall couldn’t miss such an easy setup, right?

Right?

no, it’s just as Rall as every other Rall despite having as many decades to think of a punchline as I’ve been alive.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Brawnfire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNHGkgBDKE

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They assume Toxic Masculinity just means being a man is toxic, as opposed to a culture that demands men align to certain standards to such a degree that hurts everyone involved.

I forget where I heard this, but one dude claimed peeing standing up fell under “toxic masculinity.” There’s no intellectual curiosity here: they just want a strawman to play the role of villain in this weird fantasy they have with themselves as the Crusader of Conservative Social Norms.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pants Donkey posted:

They assume Toxic Masculinity just means being a man is toxic, as opposed to a culture that demands men align to certain standards to such a degree that hurts everyone involved.

I forget where I heard this, but one dude claimed peeing standing up fell under “toxic masculinity.” There’s no intellectual curiosity here: they just want a strawman to play the role of villain in this weird fantasy they have with themselves as the Crusader of Conservative Social Norms.

They know what toxic masculinity means, the hyperbole is to distract from the real definition, because as the old adage goes; If you're explaining, you're losing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s amazing they all smugly said to millennials “Guess you should have been fiscally responsible by not taking out student loans, huh? Maybe have some personal responsibility with money instead of having avocado toast!” and now that we’re choosing not to have kids because they’re super loving expensive and we simply can’t afford to have families they’re all starting to panic going “No, not financially responsible like that!”

Yeah it's a big contradiction, for 40 years they've been cutting welfare and justifying this by saying we need to discourage people from having kids they can't afford, it worked and now they're screaming about low birth rates.

Well I guess it's not necessarily a contradiction since they do have a "solution" in mind: ban birth control

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I think there is a "our terminology is extremely easy to misunderstand" problem in many ways, but also some people are determined to misunderstand it and even if it was redone it would just end up like global warming/climate change.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the rift between Matt Hancock and Isabel Oakeshott – The journalist says she acted in the public interest by leaking the ex-health secretary’s Covid-related WhatsApp messages"

Telegraph:

Why Rishi Sunak’s Brexit deal may have called Boris Johnson’s bluff

Matt:

Independent:

‘Massive betrayal’: Matt Hancock hits out at Isabel Oakeshott in first statement since WhatsApp leak; After Gillray.

Times:

Rishi Sunak takes Tory MPs to Windsor for awayday; Brexit freedoms will be lost in Sunak’s deal, says Boris Johnson

Evening Standard:

Johnson allies’ claims over partygate investigator Sue Gray ‘ludicrous’ – Labour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Skios posted:

Steve Breen

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell.