Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ovsKnljcIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Pile Of Garbage posted:

buddy i dont like how

ban this sick filth

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Been using a cloud-hosted microsoft VDI desktop recently. It's on whatever version of 10 is the most recent. One thing that constantly amazes me is how bad the start menu has gotten at actually launching programs. On my own machines I have an old keystroke launcher that I'm attached to so I rarely try the start menu. This win10 machine out in the cloud takes about 5 seconds to open and draw the menu, and the after typing "notepad" I get to watch those 3 dots slide across the thing for about 10-12 more seconds before notepad appears, usually the 3rd or 4th option behind some utter garbage nobody would ever click on

a bit back I installed VS Codium on it, and discovered that the start menu can't even manage partial matches. "Codium" returns absolutely no hits, because the actual link is named "VSCodium"

nice os good job

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
finally had to let my work laptop get migrated to win 11

i now have two versions of teams in my system tray and i can't turn off all the news poo poo in the widgets without turning widgets off entirely

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

akadajet posted:

microsoft: motherfuckers act like they forgot about Tay

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

finally had to let my work laptop get migrated to win 11

i now have two versions of teams in my system tray and i can't turn off all the news poo poo in the widgets without turning widgets off entirely

you can uninstall the home version of teams from the start menu (it's a modern app). it will get reinstalled by the next feature update

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

goddamn password expired, muscle memory gonna gently caress with me for months now :negative:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

password expiration is total bullshit. even the NIST says so: https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-FAQ/#q-b05. i wish the rest of the world would catch up (looking at you ACSC)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
microsoft even says so

they still make it an option

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i know, but whatta ya gonna do

i did a secret transofrmation (transposing one hand to hit different keys) :awesomelon:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
just add one to the number at the end of your otherwise perfectly complex enough pw and rotate back to zero when you reach nine

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

bing chat led me to this article when I asked about feeling tired, therefore it is amazing:

Caffeine dosing strategies to optimize alertness during sleep loss

or maybe that's just me

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

rotate back to zero when you reach nine

oh maybe i should have done this at some point, i'm currently on iteration 46 of the same password

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cold on a Cob posted:

just add one to the number at the end of your otherwise perfectly complex enough pw and rotate back to zero when you reach nine

they do some kind of similarity check i think, or maybe i just cycled through enough ending numbers idk

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Carthag Tuek posted:

they do some kind of similarity check i think, or maybe i just cycled through enough ending numbers idk

interesting, i wonder how they do that without storing your old password

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

interesting, i wonder how they do that without storing your old password

what does your heart tell you

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

burning swine posted:

what does your heart tell you

i assumed he meant his microsoft domain password since this is the msft thread and i thought msft didn't do that vOv

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah it's ms

burning swine
May 26, 2004

well fine :colbert:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yay title :neckbeard:

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 3, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/gabsmashh/status/1631415313899323392

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

lmao

queen

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Weekly Recommendation Thread: November 18, 2022 by AutoModerator in books
[–]-puppy-guppy- 1 point 2 hours ago
We caved :) She will use Linux

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Using OneDrive for Business seems nicer than shared drives in a lot of ways except when the SharePoint leaks out.

I can't send a link to a spreadsheet or otherwise a reference that will open in the recipient's desktop Excel like I could with UNC paths. Everyone's crap is mounted in like C:\Users\bofa.DEEZNUTZ\Deez Nutz Inc.\Sharepoint Folder - General\garbo.xlsx

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i hate that your user profile gets tied to it though

like i still have access to the sub i got through attending NYU, so the path is something like

C:\Users\Beeftweeter\beeftweeter@nyu.edu - OneDrive\Desktop

(for the desktop, obviously)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

basically get rid of the spaces and dash and i'll be happy, that poo poo sucks on a command line

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
at one point I had a "One Drive" and then also a "One Drive - Company", with the former getting mapped to the latter when it was added lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

at one point I had a "One Drive" and then also a "One Drive - Company", with the former getting mapped to the latter when it was added lol

yeah, it's real fun when you have a personal, corporate and educational one

OneDrive, OneDrive - name@uni.edu, OneDrive - Company

that poo poo sucks lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I dislike that I had to tie my MS account to win 11 but I really dislike that it automatically named my user folder a truncated version of my Microsoft username/email which is 7 characters, but they truncated it to 5 and it looks stupid.

they try to hide it by showing my real name in windows explorer but it’s still visible in some cases (pinned to quick access, etc.).

like why wouldn’t it name the folder after my first name or my entire 7 character long handle.. why is 5 the cutoff?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

microsoft is the os for mouse clicks users

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

USERN~1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I dislike that I had to tie my MS account to win 11 but I really dislike that it automatically named my user folder a truncated version of my Microsoft username/email which is 7 characters, but they truncated it to 5 and it looks stupid.

they try to hide it by showing my real name in windows explorer but it’s still visible in some cases (pinned to quick access, etc.).

like why wouldn’t it name the folder after my first name or my entire 7 character long handle.. why is 5 the cutoff?

That drove me nuts too lol. I spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out how to rename it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i could absolutely swamp this thread in posts about all the poo poo broken in onedrive/sharepoint.

their rolling releases ensure that nothing works, if it does work, it won't next week, and it won't be in the same place for a month straight anyway.

if you happen to be using "bleeding edge" features like information protection/rights management, your workflows will break at least monthly, if not more frequently as every component that touches it gets updated separately and not always in ways that are compatible with anything else.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for example, somewhere towards the end of last month purview document encryption suddenly started applying to PDFs that were synced to libraries that have default protection labels. it didn't before, now it does, no notice, it just started happening. if you use adobe acrobat and have MFA enabled, get hosed because adobe's purview sign-in mechanism doesn't work with MFA.

also, if you want to be able to view or change labels in acrobat, you get to push out a bunch of registry keys with intune, because while acrobat "supports" AIP, the only way to actually turn on the interface elements is with registry keys, for some reason.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the onedrive client is rolling release, their documentation for release builds is constantly out of date, and they will very happily push out broken builds even on the general release channel.

no one tests anything, and while they collect hundreds of megabytes of analytics per day, you can't see any of them to diagnose things because they're all encoded in a proprietary format and microsoft won't provide access. there is a tool available form a 3rd party researcher to decode the logs into a readable format, and it requires python to use.

if you ever need to troubleshoot sync issues, you will need this tool because microsoft support is useless as tits on a bull and i have never once in over a decade of trying had them successfully resolve a ticket

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

That drove me nuts too lol. I spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out how to rename it.

is there a way to do it reasonably without stuff breaking?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
beta tested in the future!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

someone described sharepoint as an information graveyard and i couldn't agree more
where documents go to die

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

is there a way to do it reasonably without stuff breaking?

no. lol. it's possible but extremely irritating and the more stuff you have installed the greater the chance it will gently caress up.

the best way is to make a new local offline user through the control panel, which will let you set its short name and thus folder name directly. then you just start using that account and delete the old 5 letter one. do not enter microsoft account details under any circumstances until the new account is finished and you are logged into it. if you link a new account to a microsoft account at the time of creation, or enter your login details at the first run setup screen, it make a 5 letter folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

huh, had no idea english was your second language lol. what's native to you?

if mf is european then english will be second language and bet they speak it better than us