Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Did the S23 line get the random reboots sorted? I last read it was a systems app crashing that could just be deleted off the phone.

What about the storage being consumed by OS earmarking/inflation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Did the S23 line get the random reboots sorted? I last read it was a systems app crashing that could just be deleted off the phone.

Mine stopped rebooting after I uninstalled currents (which I think came pre-installed), but someone in this thread said it shouldn't have done anything so :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Currents is not pre-installed on anything. If you had currents installed, you did it by using it at one point and restoring apps.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I won't disagree with any of your points about Good Lock. The name is weird and the modules are bizarrely organized and named. I don't mind that it's in a different app, because they don't want to overload the average user with a bunch of poo poo they don't need or want but drat I wish it was just one app and all the redundant modules were put together

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

It was in two parts. 1. "journalists" and 2. difference between MiB and MB

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MikusR posted:

It was in two parts. 1. "journalists" and 2. difference between MiB and MB

I mean, it's not. I have the devices in front of me.

Pixel 7 Pro
19GB

OnePlus 11
20.6GB

S22 Ultra
38.19GB

S23 Ultra
82.61GB

Even if the S22 Ultra was somehow showing GiB and the S23Ultra was showing GB, that's still more than double the increase in system size.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently samsung scales how much storage they reserve based on the total capacity

quote:

Hence, a 512GB Samsung Galaxy S23 phone actually reserves 55.2GB for the system. Similarly, a 128GB model reserves 26.09GB for the system.

i assume based on that your S23U is the 1TB model?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

repiv posted:

apparently samsung scales how much storage they reserve based on the total capacity

i assume based on that your S23U is the 1TB model?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that's an odd discrepancy between the S23 512 and the S23U 512 then

:iiam:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The odd discrepancy is Samsung.

I'm using 3gb more total storage on the S23 Ultra then my Pixel 7 Pro that I've been using for 6 months that has 18gb of pinned music and podcasts and 5gb of photos and video on it (along with all other accumulated app cache).

Edit: Ok, I can account for the EXTRA inflated size compared to the 512gb S23 model because I hadn't granted storage rights to the files app yet so it lumped installed apps in with system.

After I granted that, it's JUST taking 56.45 gb.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 2, 2023

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
pixel 7 tech is supposed to be top of the line running the latest and greatest software yet the google forecast widget only updates once every ten hours

it stopped raining in the morning wtf

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've seen it get stuck (probably after some background app update) but removing it and putting it back usually fixes it. Otherwise it updates hourly for me

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I can apparently change the volume of multiple speakers I'm casting to as one again, did Google sort out that patent mess with sonos finally?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Saw my work colleague's S23 in the flesh and, sweet baby Jesus, it is one delicious phone. It has that frosted glass back finish that the Pixel 3 had and
feels great in the hand.

If the Pixelate doesn't drastically improve the battery life compared with my 7, I may have to sadly leave the Pixel Warriors.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If there's no 8 mini I too will join the ranks of the Samsungites. Big phones are a blight on society.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

smoobles posted:

Big phones are a blight on society.

Yearning for the days of my old N4 and Z3c

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Just give me back my Palm Pre.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The iPhone 5 was perfect, there was no need to keep going

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mint Mobile has a Pixel 7 bundle for $289 ($199 phone, $90 for 4 GB/month x 6 month plan, 6 months extra if you port in).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

If WebOS came back I'd switch so fast your head would spin

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

webos is still around but only on 50" phones

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

eXXon posted:

Mint Mobile has a Pixel 7 bundle for $289 ($199 phone, $90 for 4 GB/month x 6 month plan, 6 months extra if you port in).

That is an insane deal. The P7 seems to be going for $400 on Swappa so after you're done with the service you can basically get your money back. The Pixel is such a good phone though.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

repiv posted:

The ones with oled screens start at 42" the regular ones at 32".
And they have headphone jacks.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

repiv posted:

i have webos on my LG tv and it sucks I hate it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

God did I ever loving covet the Pre

gently caress

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm a little fuzzy about how wifi calling works. Should I be able to make calls over wifi without any cell signal at all?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hooah posted:

I'm a little fuzzy about how wifi calling works. Should I be able to make calls over wifi without any cell signal at all?

Yes I believe so

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Blessed be. We're almost - ALMOST - to unified search on Android. Unified messaging....the dream. I'll love you forever, WebOS.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

hooah posted:

Yes. Whenever I'm at home or the office, I turn on Airplane Mode and have WiFi connect. Then calls and texts are using WiFi.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yes. Whenever I'm at home or the office, I turn on Airplane Mode and have WiFi connect. Then calls and texts are using WiFi.

Hmm, then why did my phone drop a call when I lost signal? I have wifi calling turned on on the phone (Pixel 7) and enabled for my carrier (Mint Mobile).

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Do you do this for battery savings? Or to be extra sure all your traffic is going over WiFi?

hooah posted:

Hmm, then why did my phone drop a call when I lost signal? I have wifi calling turned on on the phone (Pixel 7) and enabled for my carrier (Mint Mobile).

I've found the handoff works better when I start a call on WiFi and then go out of range of the AP. My calls usually continue with barely a blip in audio over the cell network. Going the other way from a cell call handing off to WiFi doesn't seem to work as well, if at all, in my experiences with both T-Mobile and Verizon.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SamDabbers posted:

Do you do this for battery savings? Or to be extra sure all your traffic is going over WiFi?

Both. My cell reception tends to be flaky in those locations. And I did initially try without, but doing things this way my battery drains slower.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SamDabbers posted:

I've found the handoff works better when I start a call on WiFi and then go out of range of the AP. My calls usually continue with barely a blip in audio over the cell network. Going the other way from a cell call handing off to WiFi doesn't seem to work as well, if at all, in my experiences with both T-Mobile and Verizon.

Possibly when I answered it was on the cell network. But my house is in such a signal black hole that I'd be surprised.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Spergin Morlock posted:

i have webos on my LG tv and it sucks I hate it
What do you hate about it?

99% of my problems went away when I disabled QuickStart+. Yeah the TV takes 20 seconds to start rather than whatever it was before, but all the weird software glitches went away. (QS+ suspends apps rather than a fresh boot, and I guess there are memory leaks in them.)

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

What do you hate about it?

99% of my problems went away when I disabled QuickStart+. Yeah the TV takes 20 seconds to start rather than whatever it was before, but all the weird software glitches went away. (QS+ suspends apps rather than a fresh boot, and I guess there are memory leaks in them.)

In addition to this you can also bind necessary apps like Plex to one of the number buttons on the remote.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

bull3964 posted:

After I granted that, it's JUST taking 56.45 gb.

But wait, wasn't that because Samsung is lumping the losses from GB -> GiB conversion under System? They are showing you as having a total of 512 GB of storage available instead of showing 476 GB like you would see on a desktop PC. If you subtract away that fake stuff you get around 17-20GB OS size. Still a few GB larger larger than a Pixel, but not obscenely so.

Or have Android phone file systems been changed to use GB values? Or does Samsung just throw a whole entire 512 GiB of flash into their phones?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Nalin posted:

But wait, wasn't that because Samsung is lumping the losses from GB -> GiB conversion under System? They are showing you as having a total of 512 GB of storage available instead of showing 476 GB like you would see on a desktop PC. If you subtract away that fake stuff you get around 17-20GB OS size. Still a few GB larger larger than a Pixel, but not obscenely so.

Or have Android phone file systems been changed to use GB values? Or does Samsung just throw a whole entire 512 GiB of flash into their phones?

That bullshit has been thoroughly debunked for a long time now. But people love to bring it up because they think it proves some kind of point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nalin posted:

Doesn’t explain the growth from the S22U.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm going to sound crazy to a whole lot of you, but... I think I like the OnePlus 11 more than my Pixel 7P. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'm going to sound crazy to a whole lot of you, but... I think I like the OnePlus 11 more than my Pixel 7P. :ohdear:

what's grabbing you about it? i am considering alternatives because pixel doesn't come here officially but one plus does

any comments about the camera specifically would be great