Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
even if the end result is functionless plastic figurines, there's without a doubt a universe of difference between "my hobby is painstakingly assembling and decorating intricate plastic models" and "my hobby is spending money and stacking the resulting boxes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

those are overpriced as all hell but at least cooler than the funko pops

that's scalper prices on that gundam kit, it retailed for 180 at release.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the gundam is also over a foot tall, which makes it cheaper than funko pops by volume

mystes
May 31, 2006

if only bad plastic toy was cool like good plastic toy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

exactly!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if i ever have a spare 14 grand and its in stock im buyin it

almost 3 feet tall

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

how the gently caress is funko a listed stock.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

imagine being a person who spent five figures on a funko pop.

i know they make them look like that so they can churn out every character under the sun with minimal variation, and that if they looked at all right they wouldn't be able to scale their operation. but still they're so ugly that it offends me

it is not so much a matter of looking "right", they just look like poo poo. compare lego minifig lookalikes, which are vastly cooler despite looking even less like the thing they're supposed to represent. and obviously mass manufacture.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

have you also considered that lego is good and funko is bad

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

we got a couple of funko pops a few years ago, they’re Harry and Marv from home alone and act as Christmas decorations for a few weeks a year. that’s about it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

refleks posted:

what? you'd want to stop at *only* fleecing geeks?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i got exactly one funko from some random buy thing and it came out of the box and went on a shelf

i found it creepy and now it hides behind something else on the shelf, which i guess makes it creepier

oh, and i had a friend years ago that did the gundam model thing and his gf (now wife) has been supportive, so it's a fun hobby for him to paint meticulously in peace. i see them no different than model vehicles or ships in bottles, classic patience hobbies. i think it's cool

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 6, 2023

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

rotor posted:

hey guys, get this: Flunko Plops

eh? eh?

Chucko fucks

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

wasto bucks

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Chubby pogs

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

virgin props

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FrozenVent posted:

I want a list of which pop culture figurines are getting worried

just so I can go “no idea who that is” at all of them

Probably all the identical-looking ones based on bearded white guys with dark hair from various TV shows

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fucko stonks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

*nervously looks at mtg card collection*

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

refleks posted:

they were gonna buyout gamestop until the diamond hands poo poo happened

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

*nervously looks at mtg card collection*
I need to sell my childhood mtg cards. reserve list card prices are insane

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 6, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
crunko chops

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

we have the largest operating gundamn store in the US or something here, because the guy that runs it got all rich on real estate originally and had a mid-life crisis and I think left his wife to run a gundamn store

he goes in person to japan regularly to buy gundamn kits and bring them back to sell, I can't imagine it's at all profitable but he seems to be enjoying himself so good for him I guess :shrug:

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

collecting collectables is as legitimate of a hobby as any, but the pic of the funko pop collector wearing the Avengers+Funko shirt perfectly captures my feelings: they’re banal mass-market kidult cash-in “investments” destined for the ocean. at least actual children loved beanie babies

exe cummings fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 6, 2023

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this is why my "collection" is wheres george. catch & release. all the joys of building a collection with none of the clutter

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

..., so it's a fun hobby for him to paint meticulously in peace. i see them no different than model vehicles or ships in bottles, classic patience hobbies. i think it's cool
well yeah, he's actively engaging in something, not just buying a box and sticking it on the shelf.

mystes
May 31, 2006

exe cummings posted:

collecting collectables is as legitimate of a hobby as any, but the pic of the funko pop collector wearing the Avengers+Funko shirt perfectly captures my feelings perfectly: they’re banal mass-market kidult cash-in “investments” destined for the ocean. at least actual children loved beanie babies
Unfortunately I think beanie babies kind of created this idea that it's more lucrative to try to turn the toys into a dumb collectible thing, so why bother making toys for kids who will actually like them

The modern equivalent is probably squishmallows which are like an even more extreme version where they are fine as toys but the company seems to do everything it can to try to encourage people to collect zillions of them including more gross stuff like selling the small ones in blind boxes to make them some sort of loot box thing when people try to collect them

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 6, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

Unfortunately I think beanie babies kind of created this idea that it's more lucrative to try to turn the toys into a dumb collectible thing, so why bother making toys for kids who will actually like them

The modern equivalent is probably squishmallows which are like an even more extreme version where they are fine as toys but the company seems to do everything it can to try to encourage people to collect zillions of them including more gross stuff like selling the small ones in blind boxes to make them some sort of loot box thing when people try to collect them

funko also tried blind bags iirc if you want more reason to recoil in horror at them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

refleks posted:

all IPOs in the last like 20 years have been last ditch scrambles for funding

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

how does the garbo drops company get around ip licensing?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

RokosCockatrice posted:

how does the garbo drops company get around ip licensing?

they don't, all of that is licensed. if they weren't they would have been out of business like yesterday

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
reminder that the reason mint in-box star wars action figures are worth so much is that basically all the product at the time was bought, opened, and played with by kids that enjoyed those things. the fact that people enjoyed those things as kids is both the source of demand (from nostalgia-brained adults) and the reason for a very limited supply.

any "collectable" that's sold as something you keep in the box and never open because that would make it less valuable is inherently a scam. there's a massive oversupply of mint-in-box copies, and absolutely nobody will have nostalgia for them to the point they're wanting to pay excessive amounts.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i wonder how much of funko's ill fortunes have been the death of the watercooler (from a combination of wfh and GoT just ending in the worst way possible) and then disney just making GBS threads the bed with star wars and marvel.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i mean, i understand collecting stuff: i still have some beanie babies (my dogs like to play with them, now), some star war action figures (i like to play with them still! they are good for macro photos), some amiibo stuff (which have actual, if contrived, utility and are well-designed for the most part, so i like to take photos of those too), etc.

but none of that poo poo is in its original box. my beanie babies are mostly ripped up and smell like dogs, because they play with them. the star war stuff is all plastic melty

i really don't understand the funky plop stuff though. to me it seems to be what you all identified, faux nostalgia and economic speculation

e: lol typo

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 6, 2023

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I have a few funkos (about 10 or so?) from when they first started coming out because i thought they were cute little Chibi things but I also collect lots of different types of action figures and whatnot thanks to nostalgia. I always take figures out of the box and pose them and stuff (I love the tiny accessories on high quality stuff) tho and don’t really care about the “value” cause it’s not like I’m gonna resell them. I did try to sell some once when I needed money and there’s like no real market for a bunch of the random stuff I have so I’m content just looking at them on a shelf sometimes and deriving pleasure that way

once I bought a sealed original silent hill for mega bucks, immediately opened it and played it in my slim ps2, and it gouged a giant 1/2 inch wide scratch in the disc. that was only mildly painful, cause at least I freed the game from its plastic prison

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i collect weird old computer stuff, it has no practical value and is otherwise e-waste, but i like it and i do still fire them up and spend time to get things running on them.

like everything else, people realized someone collected this stuff, and now instead of it being sold as junk online, every listing has [vintage] next to it and the items cost 10x more than they did three years ago

they're not in any better shape or anything, it's just the people stumbling into them in estate sales or cleaning out old warehouses suddenly have dollar signs in their eyes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Funko Sandwiches

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, i understand collecting stuff: i still have some beanie babies (my dogs like to play with them, now), some star war action figures (i like to play with them still! they are good for macro photos), some amiibo stuff (which have actual, if contrived, utility and are well-designed for the most part, so i like to take photos of those too), etc.

but none of that poo poo is in its original box. my beanie babies are mostly ripped up and smell like dogs, because they play with them. the star war stuff is all plastic melty

i really don't understand the funky plop stuff though. to me it seems to be what you all identified, faux nostalgia and economic speculation

e: lol typo

you let your dogs play with valuable collectors items like that???

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't get buying stuff like funko pops just to keep them in the boxes as collectibles but to be fair I never really understood the idea of collecting baseball cards or stuff like that either and I guess people have been doing that for a long time, so it must just be some impulse that some people have

Having 500 funko pops in their boxes just seems way more inconvenient/wasteful than having a binder of baseball cards too though

Also I tend to accumulate enough crap as it is so the idea of having a zillion funko pops or gundam models or something lying around just kind of freaks me out

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mystes posted:

I don't get buying stuff like funko pops just to keep them in the boxes as collectibles but to be fair I never really understood the idea of collecting baseball cards or stuff like that either and I guess people have been doing that for a long time, so it must just be some impulse that some people have

Having 500 funko pops in their boxes just seems way more inconvenient/wasteful than having a binder of baseball cards too though

Also I tend to accumulate enough crap as it is so the idea of having a zillion funko pops or gundam models or something lying around just kind of freaks me out

can i interest you in: letting your dogs play with the funkos