Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Opera Mini

what OS even runs on feature phones today? wonder if Opera runs on that POS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Opera Mini

what OS even runs on feature phones today? wonder if Opera runs on that POS.

firefoxos

...not kidding. read up on kaios

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

firefoxos

...not kidding. read up on kaios

Ah, so I wondered what browsers their operating system runs... and the operating system is the browser! :monocle:

Opera actually has a lot of funny tech poo poo to remember... Like Opera Turbo: we render the web page for you on our server farm, then send only a minified version so that pages load faster on slow mobile connections!

At some point, Opera changed the way tabs cycle in the browser when pressing ctrl+tab, so I had to tweak a setting called "Alternative Page Cycle Mode" to "0" on each new install to get it to what I was used to. These days, I only use ctrl+tab if I'm going to the previous tab, otherwise Vivaldi's ordering of the "Page Cycle" is inscrutable to me and I never know what tab it's going to cycle to beyond that first one. If I could get it to what makes sense to me (Opera's mode 0), I would like to know... But I don't know if anyone would even know what I'm talking about if I went on the Vivaldi forums with this... The mode is already set to "Cycle in recently used order" in my Vivaldi, but it works differently...

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i seriously can not understand people who expect ctrl+tab to do anything but go to the tab to the right (or left with shift). like, what the gently caress was anyone thinking when they decided to stop doing that and instead traverse an arbitrary-sorted and invisible list??? whose brain is computer enough to know that hotkey but want it to work in such a nondeterministic way?

edit: talkin about ctrl+tab

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 6, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i actually really liked opera mini/turbo. back when mobile browsers could basically only do text and non-animated images it was extremely useful

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Corla Plankun posted:

i seriously can not understand people who expect tab to do anything but go to the tab to the right (or left with shift). like, what the gently caress was anyone thinking when they decided to stop doing that and instead traverse an arbitrary-sorted and invisible list??? whose brain is computer enough to know that hotkey but want it to work in such a nondeterministic way?

using tab to move focus among all interactive elements is a core piece of accessibility for people who have difficulties moving the cursor. lovely tab order notwithstanding, it's good to have a key that does this.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Ah, so I wondered what browsers their operating system runs... and the operating system is the browser! :monocle:

all the best mobile operating systems do this fyi

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

all the best mobile operating systems do this fyi
even the best mobile operating is still, at the end of the day, a piece of poo poo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
speaking of Blue Gene, anyone want one? 2048 PowerPC 440 CPUs!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

eschaton posted:

goon project time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

Will it run OS 9?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

eschaton posted:

no.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

i seriously can not understand people who expect ctrl+tab to do anything but go to the tab to the right (or left with shift). like, what the gently caress was anyone thinking when they decided to stop doing that and instead traverse an arbitrary-sorted and invisible list??? whose brain is computer enough to know that hotkey but want it to work in such a nondeterministic way?

edit: talkin about ctrl+tab

I expect ctrl-tab to work exactly like alt-tab, except scoped within a single window instead of desktop-wide.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

eschaton posted:

"One watched in the last 24 hours" show yourself, coward!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

oh hey it's just down the road from me in hutto, could just swing by with a trailer and avoid the $1200 shipping fee

e: what was a blue gene ever doing in hutto, tx :thunk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dijkstracula posted:

uhh, cowboys?? duh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Dijkstracula posted:

oh hey it's just down the road from me in hutto, could just swing by with a trailer and avoid the $1200 shipping fee

java in hutto, obviously

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Kitfox88 posted:

goon project time

Dijkstracula posted:

so how do we fund the acquisition and provisioning of Goon Gene

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

cheap shell accounts on a box with batch-mode access to a weird machine?

more expensive direct access accounts?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dijkstracula posted:

bad news yall we are all laggards on the itanium adoption front

*sad trombone*

Dijkstracula posted:

Doubt Hutto is where it was actually in use, likely just the vendor that grabbed it has a warehouse there. Supposedly Rice University had a Blue Gene cluster in Texas.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2012/03/30/rice-to-install-texas-first-ibm-blue.html

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 7, 2023

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rice had a /P, but its a /L rack for sale

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my only guess is ibm austin ended up with some system or parts of one and just now got around to getting rid of it. think they’re consolidating some buildings down there.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

it's almost certainly in texas by way of a prior collector or warehousing. pretty sure no /l was ever installed in texas.

if there's a story beyond "that's just where it landed during liquidation", it's probably a former /l admin who bought it from uni surplus, then brought it to texas when they got a job at tacc.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
that one ios update where they replaced the scrolling ui for selecting time, with a numpad

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ronald reagan giving a kid a certificate for his obviously made-up pacman score

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
there is a microsoft teams phone call notification horn choice in forza horizon 5. in a tight battle for places? hold the horn button and there's a non zero chance your opponent will stop steering or disconnect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs8DrMuBZUA

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

eschaton posted:

so how do we fund the acquisition and provisioning of Goon Gene

Wrong Thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ytmnd

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

that one ios update where they replaced the scrolling ui for selecting time, with a numpad

the one with the calculator that would skip button presses if you went too fast

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
google fiber

mostly because nooo slo can't get it, even free, because its its too remote, despite being the west coast landing for pac, pc1, japan-us, southern crossing, cap1, and probably a bunch i don't touch

i think kansas city got it instead

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DJ Commie posted:

google fiber

mostly because nooo slo can't get it, even free, because its its too remote, despite being the west coast landing for pac, pc1, japan-us, southern crossing, cap1, and probably a bunch i don't touch

i think kansas city got it instead

google half-assing the installs with ~micro trenching techniques~ so months after it was laid you had lines poking up through the ground and roads and poo poo getting wrecked up and making service absolute rear end

google then just saying 'gently caress it your problem' and leaving instead of redoing it right lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
games where you had to waggle the joystick as fast as possible to win

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Track & Field for the NES, with the sports pad or whatever that you were supposed to stomp on to simulate running, jumping, etc. For the Long Jump, you were supposed to do a "running" start to build your speed up and then jump as high as you could. Your character would stay in the air until you landed. If you so happened to jump off the pad for a few seconds and then back on to it, well, who am I to say that you didn't actually jump 20m into the air out of excitement?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

there is no wrong thread in which to discuss the Goon Supercomputer Project

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

supercomputer projects

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

echinopsis posted:

games where you had to waggle the joystick as fast as possible to win

many a sinclair joystick was destroyed by daley thompson’s decathlon, though it’s also possible they were destroyed by someone breathing on it too hard

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

google fiber microtrenching is hilariously bad. they pulled out of louisville, ky years ago, but when i was there a few weeks ago scootering through one of the google fi neighbor hoods it was amazing how hosed up the fiber install looked

those black lines a couple feet from either side of the street are the fiber runs

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

they actually cut the pavement and filled it in with tar? kinda surprised the city let them do it that way rather than trenching or horizontal boring in already established easements

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

im sure they got google dollar signs in their eyes and let them do whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it's google. i'm amazed the product lasted long enough for them to fill the holes back in at all