Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

slidebite posted:

Hey man, it's got no accidents reported. What more do you want?
It’s a typo. It should say “No, accidents reported!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I just love how it ends with a rambling, “good deal you fix it” and nothing else. It sounds like a veiled threat.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

It’s a typo. It should say “No, accidents reported!”

It was not in an accident - he ran into that wall on purpose.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
One weird trick!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Well this is certainly good to know -

"KIA Sportage
Clean Title!

This vehicle is super reliable and comfortable! I never had any medical issues while owning it!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should buy that before BIG PHARMA buys it and crushes it to protect their profits :tinfoil:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Why Facebook Marketplace puts the F in Quality!

21 Results for a Sonic! Wow-ee!

Only 17 of them are the same car listed over and over and over! Of the remaining four, two of them are a repeat!

Let's look at another handy Facebook Marketplace feature!

Here's a general search for cars under 130k miles with hundreds of results -

Lots of salvage titles, lots of rentals, and some regular cars thrown in.

Should we check out Facebook's handy dandy search refinements?

How about "No Accident" vehicles?

Wow, it just eliminated everything! Including the listings with no accidents!

Maybe we should try personal use?

This is why searching through Facebook is like diving for a piece of candy in a bin of used syringes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Facebook is very broken, yes. But you can hide ads from individual sellers, thus eliminating the scumbag dealerships wholesale with a bit of clicking.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Nitrox posted:

Facebook is very broken, yes. But you can hide ads from individual sellers, thus eliminating the scumbag dealerships wholesale with a bit of clicking.

Ooooh, you can?

Thank you, fine individual. I shall de-poo poo my searches immediately.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

It's really unfortunate how bad every Craigslist successor is. They all seem to have put active effort into making filtering out reposts and stale listings difficult. But somehow they've also managed to pry away enough market share that Craigslist itself a shadow of what it used to be, too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

greed ruins everything. Dumb of CL starting to charge money for posting ads. It's where I bought my last car a few years back. I dread buying another car in the future using FB or other garbage sites.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FB marketplace has a lot of great stuff, it's just that the web app is garbage.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

FB marketplace has a lot of great stuff, it's just that the web app is garbage.

Which is enough for me to never go there, it's that bad. I have an infintatly easier time importing an entire rear end vehicle from Japan sight unseen than I do trying to buy a normal used car in person.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Which is enough for me to never go there, it's that bad. I have an infintatly easier time importing an entire rear end vehicle from Japan sight unseen than I do trying to buy a normal used car in person.

You know, when you say it like that it really puts it into perspective.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Midjack posted:

You know, when you say it like that it really puts it into perspective.

It's 'easy' for me to say because I have less reservations on doing it enough times, but I am not joking at all, not even a little bit. I'd rather shop the auctions myself, work with Yoshi over in Japan, and deal with an impersonal machine that exists solely to export a vehicle from there to me, wire tens of thousands of dollars to a foreign bank account, and wait 4~ months for it to arrive, deal with drivers and picking it up from port, then tackle the registration and that whole deal rather than even exchange a few text messages with your average facebook account holder.

People were half-way joking about cars not being fun anymore in the New Car thread and I feel sort of the same way as that, but with dealing with the social aspect of cars is the bigger turn off for me. Dealerships and all that, god no thanks.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You just described a premium dealership experience, and You can have it all day long when shopping for a premium brand like Porsche. Obviously doesn't compare to sub $6k marketplace used car roulette. But the whole point of a used car market is that you need to gamble and put in enormous amounts of legwork to get the best deal. Otherwise roll to carvana/CarMax and pay through the nose for a hassle-free experience.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nitrox posted:

You just described a premium dealership experience, and You can have it all day long when shopping for a premium brand like Porsche. Obviously doesn't compare to sub $6k marketplace used car roulette. But the whole point of a used car market is that you need to gamble and put in enormous amounts of legwork to get the best deal. Otherwise roll to carvana/CarMax and pay through the nose for a hassle-free experience.

Carvana is a dead end now, or at least I wouldn't trust it anymore. That IS where we did get our 2018 Land Cruiser, but that's more because there isn't many of them around at all so I was going to pay out the rear end for it no matter where I went. I also don't care about the best deal, I want to least hassle for the car I want. Places like Carvana are closer to that ideal but it's still tainted by the dumbassery that ruins your typical dealership, just instead of 'hassle' of dealing with a person that won't leave you the gently caress alone you get the 'hassle' of playing the game of 'Where is my title and is it even real?' with Carvana.

I think it's more than North America is stupid as hell and dealerships being a lovely middleman is the main problem. I can say that too since I was a used car dealer :colbert:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Nitrox posted:

While I hate FB marketplace, something I'll give it over Gumtree is the ability to do this. I remember when I wanted to buy some camping gear and it was next to impossible to find stuff that wasn't the same local brick and mortar store listing brand new gear, guy swamped the section with hundreds of ads.

Maybe that was his plan; make it impossible to find secondhand gear online so you had to shop at his store.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Renault Twingo with a hydraulic snow plow

For $500 it seems like a pretty good deal

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

greed ruins everything. Dumb of CL starting to charge money for posting ads. It's where I bought my last car a few years back. I dread buying another car in the future using FB or other garbage sites.

It's only 5 bucks and that's a huge disincentive to scammers

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Arrests no. Most of them are blatant scams of some type, the seller might not even be in the country and they're reusing pictures from old listings. They must be working too because they keep doing it. Most messages I get when I'm trying to sell something on marketplace are scams.

To put that into a little context here's a recent exchange. Just as common and stupid whether you're buying or selling.

Lol I had one of these, the coversation went like

"I'll send you money through Zelle"

I don't have Zelle cash only

"Get Zelle then"

gently caress off

:v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

And to sellers in general, apparently.

edit: Just found this on CL. Impressively unique:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/d/fort-worth-mercedes-benz-sl-500/7595041505.html

I'm seriously trying to figure out what the aesthetic they're going for here is.
Like, sort of Indian/Pakistani on the interior?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 9, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Craiglist was a shadow of it's former self well before they started charging for personal car sales, people used facebook because everyone has facebook, easier to post for sale where you are already posting your minion memes about big pharma.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/d/fort-worth-mercedes-benz-sl-500/7595041505.html

I'm seriously trying to figure out what the aesthetic they're going for here is.

The design goal was maximum tacky.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Network42 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 10, 2023

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
That, or the Demigorgon from Stranger Things.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Darchangel posted:

Probably worth $10, but no more.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol I had one of these, the coversation went like

"I'll send you money through Zelle"

I don't have Zelle cash only

"Get Zelle then"

gently caress off

:v:

I get a message within about 3 seconds every time I post something there asking for my phone number and if I have zelle. Doesn't matter what it is. I just posted a Cadillac motor and it's the first time that hasn't happened, weird.

Ive had good luck buying and selling stuff however since my online bullshit detector is finely tuned.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
never post your phone number, make them email you

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

It's where I bought and sold my last cars from, a couple years back. Problem is that many other people won't pay the money to post, just a bunch of lovely dealers so there isn't much on there.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Ohio

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/602773954677082/?mibextid=dXMIcH

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm the freon tank by the rear wheel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Those are propane tanks for a gas grill.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fair, the paint looked like it was the right color.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm the one million miles driven

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm the chev emblem

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm the really fuckin shiity welds between the floor pan of the mustang and the frame rails of the...... S10? Colorado?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I'm the really fuckin shiity welds between the floor pan of the mustang and the frame rails of the...... S10? Colorado?

Leaf springs on the front. probably an old Jeep or Blazer.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Time was these things were always Blazers but I figured they were all gone by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powershift posted:

Leaf springs on the front. probably an old Jeep or Blazer.

Oh poo poo yeah, I see them now, you're probably right.