Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Shiroc posted:

I bought a couple of production genga that I thought the people in this thread would appreciate:

Badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Hang them on the wall to feel their judging gaze at every moment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

goblin week posted:

the phrase "end of evangelion" was the biggest lie in anime industry

Hey, Anno meant it at the time. Too bad literally no one took him seriously about it...

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey, Anno meant it at the time. Too bad literally no one took him seriously about it...

As long as Evangelion buckets are still being sold, Evangelion will never be truly over

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i posit that eoe 4 was a failure because it didn't have a single beefy eva hand to hand fight. 2 free fall shooting galleries (paris was good, antartica so-so) and 1 metaphorical men in costume brawl don't make the cut. do we even see one shot on an evas feet breaking pavement in the whole movie? who cares about a resolution for characters in a series spanning three decades if there ain't a final throwdown?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i posit that eoe 4 was a failure because it didn't have a single beefy eva hand to hand fight. 2 free fall shooting galleries (paris was good, antartica so-so) and 1 metaphorical men in costume brawl don't make the cut. do we even see one shot on an evas feet breaking pavement in the whole movie? who cares about a resolution for characters in a series spanning three decades if there ain't a final throwdown?

That was unsatisfying, yes. Same thing in 3. Just free floating evas with absolutely no sense of weight or inertia, flying around in what may as well have been outer space. Real shame, considering how amazingly well the series, and Rebuild 1 & 2, and especially EoE managed that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I like it when I notice little imagery repetitions like I just realized these feet sorta look like when misato and kaji are having sex. I forget when but you know the scene.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
So it turns out that was autoerotic asphyxiation resulting in an accidental death.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Arc Light posted:

That was unsatisfying, yes. Same thing in 3. Just free floating evas with absolutely no sense of weight or inertia, flying around in what may as well have been outer space. Real shame, considering how amazingly well the series, and Rebuild 1 & 2, and especially EoE managed that.

Not just no weight or inertia but also no narrative weight, context or stakes. They destroy countless robots out of an endless amount that were just introduced seconds before and just swarm around in circles or whatever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The empty spectacle of the infinite Eva fight vs the more messy personal 1v1 of Eva vs Eva/Son vs Father.

Anno trolls us again by showing us that what we want is facile.

Also

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 19, 2023

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
https://twitter.com/pkmncrystalVEVO/status/1631854657680072706

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blessed be his name.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Now imagine this being played in front of 2000 people clutching yaoi paddles and "GLOMP ME" signs, that's what its Otakon debut was.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Midjack posted:

Now imagine this being played in front of 2000 people clutching yaoi paddles and "GLOMP ME" signs
Do I have to

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

For that Authentic Evangelion Experience™, yes

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My experience for rebuild 1 at AX was 'everyone's head is in the way I can't read poo poo oooooo pretty"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Midjack posted:

Now imagine this being played in front of 2000 people clutching yaoi paddles and "GLOMP ME" signs, that's what its Otakon debut was.

ok

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd rather not imagine that but I'm happy that the version is available rather than Khara having total control over which dubs are available.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
im imagining it now, please help me thread im losing myself

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

God's In His Heaven, All's Right With The World

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've been aware of this series since it hit the states on vhs, but have never watched it through. I remember renting the first tape and saw the first episode, but never kept up after that. I was in high school at the time, and I remember a lot of people were really into it and that sort of drove me away from it (it also seemed really edgy and dark and I was just enjoying my standard shonen phase still).

After a while I just kept putting it off for various reasons, but I think it's finally time to see what all the fuss is about. I've added it to my "to watch" list for this year, probably start with the series and go into the movies from there.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

I've been aware of this series since it hit the states on vhs, but have never watched it through. I remember renting the first tape and saw the first episode, but never kept up after that. I was in high school at the time, and I remember a lot of people were really into it and that sort of drove me away from it (it also seemed really edgy and dark and I was just enjoying my standard shonen phase still).

After a while I just kept putting it off for various reasons, but I think it's finally time to see what all the fuss is about. I've added it to my "to watch" list for this year, probably start with the series and go into the movies from there.

Oh hell yes!

Definitely start with the series first, you can skip the first movie which would be: EVANGELION: DEATH (TRUE)˛ since it is just a recap of the series with some extra insight.

Then go with The End of Evangelion after the series. Once you're done with that you're free to go into the 4 rebuild films!

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

go with subtitles the original voice acting has a lot of emotion and is a big part of the characters imo. good luck!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQzxcF1GCWs

It's still true.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
tiffany grant sucks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tiffany Grant is cool and fun if slightly unhinged.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Arc Hammer posted:

one of the worst holdovers from the days when 90% of all US dubs were the leftovers from suburban dallas community theater

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay whatever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arc Hammer posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rebuild 4 disc released in Japan today.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

The commentary track is the best part of EoE's DVD release.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just rewatched Rebuild 4 because the first time went in one ear and out the other, and...no, it turns out I retained a fair bit of it, it's just that the visuals tend to be a bit much to take in at times, but god drat, that third act...

:allears: absolutely delightful

https://twitter.com/camus27315/status/1633124204706164741

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 8, 2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Are the subs on netflix okay for watching in Japanese?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Kingtheninja posted:

Like are they worthy of your grace?

Opinions differ.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TenementFunster posted:

tiffany grant sucks

you suck

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

They're fine

People just got mad about them being truer to the source material and a bit rigid at times due to being more literal translations, like "First/Second/Third Children" rather than the less clunky "Child"

For a casual watch, they're more than adequate

SnakesRevenge posted:

Like are they worthy of your grace?

Opinions differ.

They're not the lowest of the low, at least

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Vinylshadow posted:

They're fine

People just got mad about them being truer to the source material and a bit rigid at times due to being more literal translations, like "First/Second/Third Children" rather than the less clunky "Child"

For a casual watch, they're more than adequate

They're not the lowest of the low, at least

The subtitles were also like really weird on translating the gay coded dialouge of Kaworu and Shinji. Instead of Kaowaru saying "I love you" they subtitled it as some weird round about thing like "worthy of grace." Apparently, this is a very literal translation. Many felt it was queer erasure.

That said, a lot of people also said the new translation made the themes and messages of rhe show easier to grasp.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

I mean it's not so much being "truer to the source material" as it is Studio Khara coming in after the original dub of 3.33 and going "you use the scripts we provide you--as is--or you get no dub at all". So they didn't really have a choice in going off track or not.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Alright, two episodes down yesterday. I can tell this show is going to violate my brain and I'm trying to prepare for it. The animation is such a treat to see, especially from 1995 it's incredible.

I already have so many questions I'm sure I'll get answers to down the road, but I will say shinjis robot seems awfully organic which has me thinking it's some kind of angel based weapon.

I'll try to get a few more in this weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean it's not so much being "truer to the source material" as it is Studio Khara coming in after the original dub of 3.33 and going "you use the scripts we provide you--as is--or you get no dub at all". So they didn't really have a choice in going off track or not.

I think it depends on how you watch. If you hear but don't listen to the Japanese then whatever, bu if you can understand some but need help but hear "Ikari-kun" but read "Shinji" or you hear "children" but read "Child" then it gets a little doublethink-y. It depends on what you personally need, which generally can't be met with something intended for a more mass market.