Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

infernal machines posted:

i just use winamp and a drive full of mp3 and flac files

we know grandpa

you post in yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Juul-Whip posted:

it's impressive how useless homepods are without an Apple account and paid subscriptions. a $500 acoustically transparent doorstop. I got one for my commode

where do you live that a homepodncosts $500?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

meh i rounded up from 4

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

is there some reason people aren't using spotify? wackwife and i enjoy it on the couples plan

they had bad kpop licencing rights in europe for a really long time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

do they not have wifi? in nyc the MTA sucks at a lot of things but the connectivity is pretty good. most cell providers work too, but not as well

they do at stations, not on the trains, and it hasn't worked on my iphone since ios 15. something with that update completely broke public wifi networks for me and it hasn't worked since.

it'll connect for about 15 seconds and then traffic just stops flowing for whatever reason

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
neat, just figured out you can see AirPods battery status under the airplay icon thingy. handy!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Chris Knight posted:

neat, just figured out you can see AirPods battery status under the airplay icon thingy. handy!

i think it does this for bluetooth too

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah since the last os its been very good at throwing battery meters up for everything i use which rules

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they had bad kpop licencing rights in europe for a really long time

bad at japanese music in general too, I was stunned when I switched to apple and they actually had bands who haven’t released albums in the west

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
so I got a copy of Serato DJ Pro as a buddy of mine is a big DJ and I want him to show me how he does his thing both for my own sake and so I can pass it on to the boys someday

well I'm an idiot and didn't take into account DJ software doesn't work with any of the mainstream music services these days for DRM reasons, and I haven't bought music in 10 years or more 👍🏻

incidentally eqMac is an excellent global equalizer for Mac and changed my 16" MBP from sounding like a good Bluetooth speaker to sounding like a really, really good Bluetooth speaker

https://eqmac.app

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Chris Knight posted:

I use the battery widget

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

I use the battery widget

i use the left swipe battery widget thing, not sure wha'ts the correct lingo for it

e: ah yeah yours is the same

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Cold on a Cob posted:

some of us actually leave the house tho

get a Shanling and a fuckhuge SD card

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cold on a Cob posted:

I use the battery widget

whoa wtf

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i can't remember the last time any of my devices have run out of battery i put my phone on the charger when i sleep and charge my headphone case once a week

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my aeropods suprise me every now and then

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Internaut! posted:

incidentally eqMac is an excellent global equalizer for Mac and changed my 16" MBP from sounding like a good Bluetooth speaker to sounding like a really, really good Bluetooth speaker

https://eqmac.app

equalizer stuff both intimidate me, while at the same time it strikes me as audiophile nonsense.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IUG posted:

equalizer stuff both intimidate me, while at the same time it strikes me as audiophile nonsense.

equalizer is real because people like bass, and coincidentally the studies that measure sound preference in untrained listeners (and to lesser extent trained listeners, e.g., mastering engineers) all end up concluding "add some boom, maybe tone down shrilling a little bit). part of it has also to do with how many software volume switches do switch volume down monotonically (basically, make 200 hz quieter for the same amount as 10 khz), which fucks up the how poo poo sounds because different frequency waves travel differently (and boosting lows is a lazy fix for that, instead of implementing decades old math into your software that does this correctly)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
when i use apple music in my car via carplay, i can ask siri to play a song, and (usually) it will have a clickable link to the album that the song is from, in case i want to listen to other songs on that album. but how about a clickable link to the artist, so i can see all their albums and select another one? nope. after several years of use i have not figured out how to list the albums by an artist. note i am not talking about my library which contains nothing. i'm streaming the content from apple music, that's what i'm paying for

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

yo if I'm compensating for variables in my system in software to get to a comfortable listening level I absolutely don't want any fletcher-munson bullshit in there. the computer doesn't know the specs of my amp. linear is fine

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ruffian Price posted:

yo if I'm compensating for variables in my system in software to get to a comfortable listening level I absolutely don't want any fletcher-munson bullshit in there. the computer doesn't know the specs of my amp. linear is fine

imo it should be default on with an off toggle for fancy gear use case. eventually we’ll get there, just like with loudness wars, im sure

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

when i use apple music in my car via carplay, i can ask siri to play a song, and (usually) it will have a clickable link to the album that the song is from, in case i want to listen to other songs on that album. but how about a clickable link to the artist, so i can see all their albums and select another one? nope. after several years of use i have not figured out how to list the albums by an artist. note i am not talking about my library which contains nothing. i'm streaming the content from apple music, that's what i'm paying for

idk about carplay specifically, but you can't hit the artist name from Now Playing and have a pop-up that has "go to album" and "go to artist"?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
maybe i'm not on the right screen but the artist name isn't selectable, only the album name is

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah it make no sense.

I have to make sure my last search is not in my personal library because I swear if I’m in the car and ask Siri to play a track. it in my library it doesn’t do it because he’s searching my library, I have to specify to play on Apple Music .

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

agreed.

new features in iOS really kinda passed me by a few years back. I haven't bothered to figure out the focus thing either. Just seems like I miss lots of calls recently but nobody that knows me that wants to get ahold of me would call anyway so whatev

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

exe cummings posted:

the apple podcast app is good. the recommendations are pretty spot on, and it has all the features of the paid app i was using for years

Continuous Playback doesn't work -- it advances to 00:00:00 of the next podcast in the playlist and remains in the Paused state.

playlists don't work - sometimes it doesn't move to the next podcast in the list, it selects one at random instead

it can't cope with not having any unplayed podcasts -- if you start playback when there are no podcasts to play (via e.g. the Play/Pause button on your headphones), it will pick an already played episode at random, reset its played status, and start playing that

volume control doesn't work -- pressing the up or down button on the headphones does nothing, you have to press the Play/Pause button twice to pause and then unpause playback and for a brief moment after you unpause it will respond to the volume up and volume down buttons

downloading podcasts doesn't work - Apple MITMs your podcast subscriptions to spy on your downloading habits, and their proxy's cache is a piece of poo poo so you can look at the new episode on the podcast's web site and click play in your web browser and listen to it but the app pretends that it doesn't exist and pulling to refresh does nothing

downloading podcasts doesn't work, part 2 - the app randomly doesn't bother to download new episodes, even though it has acknowledged their existence. you can open the app and stare at it not bothering to download the podcasts until you manually initiate the download. if you're listening to podcasts while off wifi, playback will just stall out completely when it gets an undownloaded episode (although this isn't really noticeable anymore more now that playback stalls completely every single time because continuous playback doesn't work at all)

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

exe cummings posted:

the apple podcast app is good.

this is the most deranged take ever posted on these forums

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

this is the most deranged take ever posted on these forums

i remember it being real bad but then i stopped listening to podcasts. recently started listening to podcasts again and went with apple podcasts for now and it seems fine now. siri works well with it so when i'm walking with my airpods i can just say "hey siri skip 2 minutes" when an ad starts and it works perfectly and that's the part i care the most about.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i've been using apple podcasts since i bought my first iphone, the ecks, and i've yet to develop an interest in researching alternative podcast apps

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i used to use downcast and it was pretty good i think? i also remember a lot of people love overcast

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

apple podcasts plays the podcasts i ask it to and has a 30s skip forward button, i don't see why i need more features than that

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
posting here because i don't want to resurrect the ipod megathread which has been dead for eight years.

today, i killed:

ipod screen (broken while replacing the front plate with a less scratched up one)
ipod screen 2 (broken while attempting to replace the first ipod screen)
macbook pro battery (lasted 11 years)

immediately following my murderous spree my new job called me up to say they're going to send a m1 macbook air my way. i am now frantically googling if an angry spirit cast a curse on me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

the only ipod thing i've killed is an ipod mini click wheel when i was trying to mod it and put a screwdriver through the ribbon cable

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

agreed.

new features in iOS really kinda passed me by a few years back. I haven't bothered to figure out the focus thing either. Just seems like I miss lots of calls recently but nobody that knows me that wants to get ahold of me would call anyway so whatev

focuses seem really cool and useful if you use the same phone for work and personal stuff or have some interests that you really want a handful of apps available while doing and nothing else. if you're not someone who fits those (and I'm not), they don't seem as useful. i just have a sleep on that automatically turns on with my sleep schedule

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

armpit_enjoyer posted:

posting here because i don't want to resurrect the ipod megathread which has been dead for eight years.

today, i killed:

ipod screen (broken while replacing the front plate with a less scratched up one)
ipod screen 2 (broken while attempting to replace the first ipod screen)
macbook pro battery (lasted 11 years)

immediately following my murderous spree my new job called me up to say they're going to send a m1 macbook air my way. i am now frantically googling if an angry spirit cast a curse on me.

that m1 is definitely an assassin coming to avenge its ancestors

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

focuses seem really cool and useful if you use the same phone for work and personal stuff or have some interests that you really want a handful of apps available while doing and nothing else. if you're not someone who fits those (and I'm not), they don't seem as useful. i just have a sleep on that automatically turns on with my sleep schedule

i mostly use them to control what alerts come through ie my work stuff only alerts me during working hours. i found the custom screens per focus didn't really work too well for me so i stopped using that part of the feature but i really liked the _idea_ of them and if i used more apps for work i could see that feature being more useful.

one thing i would like is if i could easily override the schedule by setting an "out of office/vacation/etc" period that turns itself off without me having to remember. i would just go with the location based trigger but i still wfh at least 1 day per week and that's probably when i most need the alerts on my phone

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Endless Mike posted:

they are also nice for mixing up what's on your lockscreen or your watch screen - i don't really use focuses to manage notifications but i do use them to change up what data i see on the front of my phone & watch

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the apple podcasts app has sucked since they got rid of these

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Endless Mike posted:

focus modes rule. i have a geolocated work one that automatically unmutes my coworkers ONLY in the building otherwise that poo poo goes away.

i also use them extensively for like bike mode and party mode and drunk mode as i call them. i really like being able to have purpose build lockscreens and springboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Casual Encountess posted:

focus modes rule. i have a geolocated work one that automatically unmutes my coworkers ONLY in the building otherwise that poo poo goes away.
lol that owns