Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Chris Knight posted:

lol I was joking to my boss a couple weeks ago about how we could point ChatGPT at our sites and have it do chatbot answers instead of regular search, and welp

Poopernickel posted:

Don't promote / introduce an idea unless you're OK with the idea becoming true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

if it weren't a significant potion of my job to deal with the end results of this poo poo i would probably be a lot more ambivalent about it

condolences. I will admit that i have a professional interest in this too, and one where it being very public but flawed suits me pretty ok.

i do also rather belive that things would be even worse if the likes of meta got to carefully roll this stuff out when they've managed to tune it just so (for engagement, ofc, no matter who goes in the grinder).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

drat i thought of postin that

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

lol I was joking to my boss a couple weeks ago about how we could point ChatGPT at our sites and have it do chatbot answers instead of regular search, and welp
Can't you not actually "point chatgpt" at your site though?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i 100% respect the opinion that things would have been better had none of this been created, but given we're past that ill cheerlead hamfisted public education and the applications i care about (largely summarized as enabling human communication on human terms)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

we should create the torment nexus was clearly a joke!

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
i think they ported the chatgpt model to the openai api and you can call it programatically now (and the cost is actually super reasonable iirc)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i 100% respect the opinion that things would have been better had none of this been created, but given we're past that ill cheerlead hamfisted public education and the applications i care about (largely summarized as enabling human communication on human terms)

you're forgetting all the e-girlfriends this enables

or that guy who was masturbating himself to death

so many uses

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

mystes posted:

Can't you not actually "point chatgpt" at your site though?

having it hallucinate facts out of thin air about what might be on your site sounds much more amusing, and it's much easier

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shame Boy posted:

or that guy who was masturbating himself to death

wait, what?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it’s u

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

man, i loving wish

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

one of the hackathon projects last week was pointing chatgpt at our internal wiki

mystes
May 31, 2006

is that actually possible? Or do you just mean you identify a single article that seems relevant first and then feed it to chatgpt or something?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

let a hundred yandere chatbots bloom

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

we should create the torment nexus was clearly a joke!

yeah, well,

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mystes posted:

is that actually possible? Or do you just mean you identify a single article that seems relevant first and then feed it to chatgpt or something?

they used a library to load an index, then used gpt-3 to answer questions on that index

e: https://gpt-index.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

they used a library to load an index, then used gpt-3 to answer questions on that index

huh neat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

one of the hackathon projects last week was pointing chatgpt at our internal wiki
you're hired!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a few months ago i posted a reddit post i found where a guy had chatgpt simulating his incredibly niche fetish so well he couldn't pull himself away from it and hadn't eaten or talked to his family for like 18 hours

e: yeah ok here it is

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChatGPT/comments/zg4zts/i_just_spent_13_hours_tricking_gpt_into_writing/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

huh.

ain't that some poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Shame Boy posted:

a few months ago i posted a reddit post i found where a guy had chatgpt simulating his incredibly niche fetish so well he couldn't pull himself away from it and hadn't eaten or talked to his family for like 18 hours

e: yeah ok here it is

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChatGPT/comments/zg4zts/i_just_spent_13_hours_tricking_gpt_into_writing/

lmao :ughh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like even if that post is fake (and I don't really think it is) there sure are a lot of replies that are more or less "yeah man me too" sooo

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

The Fool posted:

quote:

Context:
  • LLMs are a phenomenonal piece of technology for knowledge generation and reasoning.

lol, i'm out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we're generating knowledge, whole cloth

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

hmm seems tweets stopped embedding

they load on the site tho, but there are requests to https://twitter.com/i/csp_report that reply like

code:
{
    "errors": [
        {
            "message": "Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information",
            "code": 467
        }
    ]
}
so i guess they rolled something untested to production again lol

Man it's gonna be waffleimages 2.0 for the forums when twitter finally kicks the bucket. I wonder if there's some sort of screenshot script that could be run that would convert tweets from an embed into something archivable for the forums.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

GenJoe posted:

i think they ported the chatgpt model to the openai api and you can call it programatically now (and the cost is actually super reasonable iirc)
You can't finetune it though, and this applies to any of the instruct models. You can still finetune base GPT-3 on your content but unless you add a ton of generic conversational prompt-response pairs in there it's just going to be a traditional text completer like those old transformer models that seem almost quaint now.

Third-party applications of davinci or gpt3.5-turbo are all about customized prompts and don't differ much in principle from the fun redditors were having with the online interface, except you're charging money

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

Man it's gonna be waffleimages 2.0 for the forums when twitter finally kicks the bucket. I wonder if there's some sort of screenshot script that could be run that would convert tweets from an embed into something archivable for the forums.

yeah a lambda running puppeteer could both scrape the forums and create screenshots from embeds. with an admin login it could even edit posts and replace the embed. is it worth the compute cost? probably not

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

google and amazon seem like actual profitable ongoing concerns

hell even facebook and they could get their disgustingly fat margins back too as soon as zuck finds a pet project less expensive than the loving metaverse

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

El Mero Mero posted:

ya i asked in one of the support threads back when elon bought twitter but idk if theyre doing it

exe cummings posted:

yeah a lambda running puppeteer could both scrape the forums and create screenshots from embeds. with an admin login it could even edit posts and replace the embed. is it worth the compute cost? probably not

just update the database tables, thats easier and simpler than loving around with a login

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

ya i asked in one of the support threads back when elon bought twitter but idk if theyre doing it

i would bet that they are not doing it.

also, do you really think it's a good idea to go loving around directly in post tables? in the database comprised at least 50% of undocumented bitfields?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i would bet that they are not doing it.

also, do you really think it's a good idea to go loving around directly in post tables? in the database comprised at least 50% of undocumented bitfields?

it's a text column in a posts table. idk how you can gently caress that up (I know, radium code but still if it's that brittle, you should never touch anything ever, especially with an admin login lol)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 7, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is the current state of twitter embed discussion on the forums

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026398

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah ill read that lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i wouldn't recommend it.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

what I'm hearing is that up to 50% of bitfields are documented, that's better than I'd thought

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

unfortunately the documentation is mostly slurs

mystes
May 31, 2006

sounds like your bitfield is a bit of a minefield

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yobbom doesn't have the same ring to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d9m3a/horribly-unethical-startup-experimented-on-suicidal-teens-on-facebook-tumblr-with-chatbot

vice details the product behind the genius twitter thread earlier this year where a moron had the concept of irb and informed consent explained to him