Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I got this one a little while ago, it’s got good color science for the jpegs but i use raws out of it. Except for low light, the high iso low light combo renders well in the jpeg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
before i got my rx-1005a i used one of these. a different league than the p&s stuff from the oughts but definitely still outdated by today’s standards. even though high iso performance was pretty rough it was a really nice camera. great build quality and good ergonomics.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i loving love good compact cameras.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

President Beep posted:

i loving love good compact cameras.

thats why i'm never getting rid of my q7

best of both worlds, except the sensor

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

accidentally sent some HP5+ through the checked luggage scanners at heathrow. poo poo was definitely affected but not completely ruined (except for the picture itself lol). had to zap the gently caress out of the image with dehaze though--with limited success--and the blacks have indeed suffered. :sweatdrop:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol i've been playing with grayscale too

have some fawg

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

piss

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thats niagara falls

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I made this photo greyscale because it was shot under huge shade and the lighting was quite blue
from the sky, and that with her darker skin tone, I just couldn’t get the colours right at all

so I did this

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

nice, man

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The tones in that are nice, but she doesn't look all that comfortable

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

KABOOM

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thanks brother

I was raised with a sense that speaking highly of yourself is uncouth, i’m sure it’s not exclusive to kiwis but it’s pretty pervasive here. and i’m sure it contributes to my mental health with all the trash talking I do of myself. tall poppy syndrome

when I can break free of it and express how I think I really feel, I think I can actually say and believe this: I think I am a good (natural light) portrait photographer

but not great, still have lots to learn, and admit the lens and the models do a lot of the heavy lifting, but I am really happy with a lot of photos I take, and the clients really like the photos I hand over to them, and they all want to shoot with me again.

not gonna try and claim it’s good photography, or even good portrait, but I like it and the clients do and I am here to say I think I’m good 🥹

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

woah is that 9/11?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

President Beep posted:

woah is that 9/11?

lol nah my wife wanted to go to disney for new years in uhh 2018

it was nuts, lasers and poo poo everywhere

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pew pew pew

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

The tones in that are nice, but she doesn't look all that comfortable

this is why I find portrait so compelling, we’re humans and there is so much to read into the subtleties of human expression

like, some people try to approach portrait as if we’re trying to capture a person in their normal habitat doing their normal thing, sort of documentary style, and the picture has to represent a real thing a person would really be doing

OR you just make it up. you’re taking photos of people and you pose in unrealistic ways, in unrealistic locations, with unrealistic outfits, etc, because “a photoshoot” is enough of a reason to do those things

so spose it might look uncomfortable, and if I was more experienced maybe i’d notice that at the time, but it was just a pose for a photo 😁 thanks for the feedback

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

pew pew pew

do they really do this every evening?

man, once a year we get a decent but not massive fireworks show put on by the city. fireworks are so awesome, but I can’t imagine world class fireworks shows every single night.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

do they really do this every evening?

man, once a year we get a decent but not massive fireworks show put on by the city. fireworks are so awesome, but I can’t imagine world class fireworks shows every single night.

i don't think so, that was december 31 2017 at 11 pm lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

kinda pissed at Past Beeftweeter for using a c-mount lens for the twilight zone stuff but,

gotta say it actually kinda works, even if it's not uniformly sharp

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

not a great pic but

interesting lens

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

kinda pissed at Past Beeftweeter

most of my life is pissed at past echi

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

most of my life is pissed at past echi

meh, hindsight is 20/20

gotta just roll with it sometimes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

not a great pic but

interesting lens

fresnel supremacy

my brother threw out his old rear projection tv and I was gutted coz I was gonna pull the fresnel lens out and probably end up giving myself third degree burns if I took it out in the sun

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

they had a couple different pieces of the assembly on display. the pics don't really do it justice, it's pretty drat huge in person (they're for a lighthouse)

it was kinda funny to see the actual lamp part though. it's just a couple incandescent lightbulbs on a wheel lol

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 5, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

and this thing was bright as gently caress

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i went through my mountain and graffiti photos and while they're nice for "i saw that," they aren't really good enough to share with this thread. i'm disappointed about that, i had even bracketed exposures to try to do an hdr thing, but can't find something easy+good to mess with, so i'm going to leave it for now

but, have a nice bee. i was able to get some nice photos of her in-flight, which i'm pleased about

here's a less-hosed-with version

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 8, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a fine bee. i'm glad you're enjoying your new stuff :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

i went through my mountain and graffiti photos and while they're nice for "i saw that," they aren't really good enough to share with this thread. i'm disappointed about that, i had even bracketed exposures to try to do an hdr thing, but can't find something easy+good to mess with, so i'm going to leave it for now

I’ve found the same thing with graffiti photos i’ve taken myself

aick insects

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dw

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 8, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

good bee 10/10

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if there's something I want out of an AI editing tool, it's something that can change the feel of the lighting

not just warmer, but make it really feel like it was a sunny day.

thats my idea

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apparently luminar ai already does that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

1) open image full screen on computer
2) take picture of screen with cell phone with flash ON

boom, sunny day in your pocket.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the amount and qualities of the light is what makes photos and at least in outdoor/landscape photography capturing great conditions when available is the whole point of the exercise, adding it later you might as well just do collages/phtototbash with other peoples’ stuff, imo

see also: “sky replacement”

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

picard got owned by lifted black levels. this guy is an executive producer and show runner:

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1633853676283658241

it's pretty clear to me that they tried to clip the contrast values and the encoder said "ah great, there's no detail here, less bits for you", normalized it (think, like, 20-254 -> 0-234) and as a result you get that bullshit

just another reason why lifting black levels is Wrong and Bad

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like the lifted black look but it has to be done super sparingly imo. it's nostalgiabait so it better be a nostalgic picture, like idk a little boy and his big sister holding baseball equipment or a dad and his boy hiking or a mom and her boy reading together or a little boy fishing with grandad by the lake or a little boy making blueberry muffins with his grandma or maybe just a bowl of butter pecan ice cream and a banana laffy taffy next to it. or maybe sugar free candy in the bottom of an extremely large purse. or maybe an old man in his garden looking lovingly at a blackberry. a dorky uncle playing acoustic guitar next to the lamp that looks like a rooster. a framed flat sculpture of praying hands. a half-broken air hockey table; you can see a cross-shaped window out of focus behind it. a necklace made of large wooden beads; a stuffed animal is wearing it. a plastic spiral playground slide in a park surrounded by woods. an old man releases a large flathead catfish back into a small lake. two cousins and a large dog covered in mud and algae.

shut up theres dust in my eye

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i got luminar ai in some bundle or other and the sky replacement / relighting worked pretty alright when i played around with it, but it's not really an effect i've ever wanted. some of their portrait filters are ok too if you have a light hand on the slider, but again not something i reach for very often. they have some fancy new software out now with a subscription model, but their previous gen stuff comes up for next to nothing in third party sales from time to time if you want to give it a try

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

the amount and qualities of the light is what makes photos and at least in outdoor/landscape photography capturing great conditions when available is the whole point of the exercise, adding it later you might as well just do collages/phtototbash with other peoples’ stuff, imo

see also: “sky replacement”

i know
ai would make it look like poo poo

it’s just an offhand thought I had while looking at a photo that I quite like, but the sky was overcast. not that you can see the sky, but you can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
beeftweeter takes a photo of a bear rolling around in a meadow at dusk. when he gets home he notices the histogram doesn’t stretch right from one end to the next, so he does what any other new yorker would do and brings those blacks down , and raises those whites into the sky. the picture now has the contrast of a blacked.com video, and he sits back, happy to be alive for one more day