Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

for tax purposes, I don't even own a TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

extracted from a larger and more rambling post:

moremetadata 13 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Fat Loss Experiments I've Tried and Failed At
I wouldnt recommend nicotinic acid if you are going through puberty because it will increase the chances of getting acromegaly, aka that James Bond "Jaws"/Internet Chad look, you'll have increased height and more pronounced bone formation especially in the face, but little strength because your muscles lack the other chemicals to make decent hard strong quality muscle, like myostatin inhibitors. This is why food companies in the UK use niacinamide (vit b3) in fortified food, the UK food industry wants that soft feminine look in the population! GH also increases tumour risk despite being the first chemo drug used in the US in the 50's.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

wanted to see the rest and found this instead

user: moremetadata
created: 36 days ago
about : When you realise that law requires evidence, criminals can make everything disappear.
If you want to find out what criminal methods work and dont work, go to the criminal court cases that interest you and sit in the public gallery.

Tortuous slavery is a society and state that wont let you die because it thinks it knows best.

Wages according to experience is just stealth ageism and a society in denial about its own inadequate teaching standards and methods.

Because there is no after life, heaven or hell, just legal religious insanity amongst other beliefs, I cant wait to die and escape my _life_long_ torturers, but they keep bringing me back to life. WTF!

A State which doesnt let people end their life at will PEACEFULLY, is hiding their intelligent slavery.

If the British state investigated suicide attempts, they would expose the crimes of their own employees.

USAF and British employees of the state including the police and NHS are actively engaged in torturing British civilians in the name of law and order right here in the UK. I'd live on the streets, but the Police keep returning me to a torturer.

You dont want to live in a semidectached house or apartment, unless you can block RF above the UV spectrum which can leave your skin burning and smelling of burning abit like you have had a session in a fast tanning booth. Not many people have access to that sort of tech and knowledge, but there are lots of man made devices that can make lessor individuals religious!

When you have had your medication stolen like antibiotics, and other prescription meds, then someone is carrying out biological and chemical warfare on you. Report it to the police and all they want is for you to install CCTV so that can increase the scope and range of their surveillance. I used to have CCTV inside my property, but they got hacked and started tracking me (as they could pan around) following me inside my own property. My ex-customers who also the same CCTV also reported the same thing to me when I was out.

I've been shot with a snipered rifle whilst out walking, had a bloke release an animal in front of my car in the dark from behind the armco barrier's on an unlit section of a dual carriageway.

Was infected with Anthrax (flesh eating black scabs) as a primary school kid when asked to collect sheeps wool snagged on barbwire, but some of the wool was wrapped around the barbed wire, and I'm not aware of any sheep that can perform multiple twirls around barb wire.

If anyone thinks the UK state is anything but criminal, dont drink their cool aid!

Being in prison or Guantanamo Bay puts you face to face with your torturers. Society allows torturers to remain anonymous and attack with impunity.

Humiliation is the criminal act of being exploited and coerced by intelligent entities who want to carry out crimes on individuals and make the victim publicly demonstrate what they have not been taught.

How do you tell when the Police are doing you over? They publish your address when escaping a beating and class it as a missing persons report for anonymous members of the public to then attack you at random, somehow even when on holiday the other side of the country.

https://m.facebook.com/norfolkpolic...55703214778090/

MoWinsor15@gmail.com purports to be friends with the late Queen!

You cant choose your family or the country you are born in.

Dont put a website up challenging the authority of the state, they will exploit your lack of knowledge as a form of future investment. https://web.archive.org/web/19990427221438/http://www.rose-associates.demon.co.uk/

Theres going to be a lot of criminals at my funeral!

There are a lot of ex military drug dealing with the collusion of the police.

Project Fear ends with suicide, I know that its incredibly hard to kill oneself, but employees of the state provide the perfect coverup to the public.

Slavery and torture is a society where you cant end your life at will.

I wonder if the purveyors of inceldom would like it, if it was bought to the classroom?

The real criminals are untouchable, and they aren't the failed experiments who end up in prison.

Hope, the cheapest carrot for donkeys.

Vets and Doctors dont do refunds for prescription drugs that dont work, its a legal cartel.

I've had a serving police officer tell me to get on the weed, and ex military associated with drug's try to get me to do "courier" work paying £1500 a day!

The BBC's move to Manchester, Topgear presenters Andrew Flintoff, Chris Harris & Paddy McGuinness amongst others was/is the British states attempt and planning to Level Up the country on display for all to see, but you cant criticise a state r/ThereWasAnAttempt.

I emailed Liz Truss and told her I never thought I'd get radicalised, she never responded!

The NHS failing to diagnose health conditions, repeatedly reported over several years, is the state's way of torturing you, and every GDPR report shows, the GP's dont always write down what you visited them for.

I feel I have so much in common with Mordechai Vanunu.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
wow

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there is a lot to unpack there, which I will happily not do

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

there is a lot to unpack there, which I will happily not do

thread title

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nemo44x 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

It’s because we don’t follow it up with shunning and shame if a pregnancy occurs. Essentially cancel culture Victorian style.
So of course if you tell kids not to gently caress and they have a million outlets to help burden the consequence then it’s a non-functional system not in coherence with todays reality. Living in the past is useless. But it doesn’t mean the values of the past are bad. Just incompatible with modern society.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hn thread: incompatible with modern society

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

fritz posted:

It’s because we don’t follow it up with shunning and shame if a pregnancy occurs. Essentially cancel culture Victorian style.
So of course if you tell kids not to gently caress and they have a million outlets to help burden the consequence then it’s a non-functional system not in coherence with todays reality. Living in the past is useless. But it doesn’t mean the values of the past are bad. Just incompatible with modern society.

are they saying there is more teen pregnancy today than in the victorian era?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

nvrgrls posted:

are they saying there is more teen pregnancy today than in the victorian era?

It’s on a completely different level today and it’s not even close. How many babies are born out of wedlock? Now multiply that by a huge number to get the number aborted. It’s massively different than it was. Rates too I’m sure. Sex without consequences has been the siren song of the last 60+ years and for good reason if you take care.
And I didn’t say it’s a solution because it’s not. It’s good advice for various reasons but it needs to be supplemented with lots of knowledge on how to protect yourself too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That whole discussion is kind of wild because it's a complete tangent in a thread on an article about mental health interventions for kids which people are interpreting however they want to confirm their own opinions.

The actual article is basically just saying "some research showed that CBT caused kids to internalize symptoms so maybe some mental health interventions can have negative effects in some kids sometimes" (I'm not sure it's really possible to draw a conclusion more than "CBT might be bad for some people") but people in the thread have interpreted that basically as "all mental health interventions in kids are bad" in a very typical HN way so they can complain about ADHD being overdiagnosed or whatever their pet dumb issue is

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Magdalene Laundries as a Service

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
yufeng66 50 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Musk’s bid to start Neuralink human trials denied ...

I can see how this end. Musk decided to do more experiments on monkeys. Soon monkey + chip become smarter than human. And human cease to exist shortly after.

what if phonesmonkeys, but too much?

edit: since that post was probably a joke, how about something genuinely stupid:

Vermeulen 59 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

I really miss when discussions about Musk's companies were about the technology - there is a lot of interesting areas to discuss with Neurolink and how their approaching development. But now comment sections about anything Musk related are now pointless - entirely about his personality and politics

I wonder why that could have possibly happened :elon:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 6, 2023

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Mr.Radar posted:

yufeng66 50 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Musk’s bid to start Neuralink human trials denied ...

I can see how this end. Musk decided to do more experiments on monkeys. Soon monkey + chip become smarter than human. And human cease to exist shortly after.

what if phonesmonkeys, but too much?

edit: since that post was probably a joke, how about something genuinely stupid:

Vermeulen 59 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

I really miss when discussions about Musk's companies were about the technology - there is a lot of interesting areas to discuss with Neurolink and how their approaching development. But now comment sections about anything Musk related are now pointless - entirely about his personality and politics

I wonder why that could have possibly happened :elon:

hn thread: since that post was probably a joke, how about something genuinely stupid

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

karp773 46 minutes ago | next [–]

This is exactly the reason why I uninstalled Twitter and stopped reading Musk altogether. It is just painful to see moral corruption of one of the greatest minds of our times unfolding like a trainwreck in slow motion.
To me it looks like Musk is compromised by Russia. In fact, compromising Musk is a win-win move for Russia. If I was in charge of KGB, Musk would be one of my prime targets for a honeypot. You can't really bribe him, his finances and taxes, unlike Trump's, for example, are in order. On the other hand, a honeypot? Given Musk's history of personal relationships, it would very likely have worked.
It is sad that the story of a genius of our time is coming to such an inglorious end.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

me, wrong in the past? impossible

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Blackmail is the ultimate win-win situation

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

frankreyes 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Hi again @elonmusk

Yes. I've met a bunch of MBAs who hate Musk. What did they accomplish in their professional career? They don't even run their own business, let alone a multi billion dollar disruption. They did the MBA to get a promotion at their blue collar jobs.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

xyzelement 2 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Quick thoughts - I agree with you that most people (myself included) cannot relate to how Musk thinks.
Humbly, when I don't understand where Musk comes from on something, I don't assume that the disconnect is due to superior intelligence on my part[0] (but weirdly, plenty of people with objectively little accomplishment have no problem assuming that they are seeing something Musk is blind to)
So, everything that follows is conjecture for the sake of a probabilistic answer to your question.
I suspect Musk is "allergic" to the type of work/worker this person seems to do. The person's self-cited list of accomplishments doesn't actually list a single impactful accomplishment, which isn't acceptable for someone senior enough to not do any hands-on work.
Now, again, this is a guess, but I suspect that this type of "allergy" is a big component of Musk's success in general in how he works and who he hires for his companies. It likely serves his very well. As a "side effect" of that allergy, it probably compels him to toe/cross the line in cases like this. If you believe in something deeply, you speak to it even at your own risk.
Again, not saying that's what I would do, but I am also not the guy who runs Tesla and all these other companies, so if you have a choice between what I'd do, and what Musk would do, do what he would do!
[0] It's very popular to say he's a hype man who just rides the wave of provocative tweets. But... have people who say that ever seen, drove, ride in a Tesla? Those are real. Maybe people can't comprehend the amount of stuff you gotta get right to make and sell a car, if they did they would keep that totally distinct from the "hype" category. And aren't those ships going to space etc? It's a weird flex to claim that Musk doesn't get really important, difficult things done - and if you accept that he does, then it's weird to claim "but I don't understand how he works, so I assume he's the idiot"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

they're starting to figure it out?

testybesty2 1 hour ago | next [–]

Every time I read articles like this I lose faith in capitalism a little bit.
The oil industry knew about about green house gases for decades, the tobacco industry knew about lung cancer, and the sugar industry tried to blame fat in foods. And now this?
It's hard to dispute that capitalism has given us some amazing goodies (Disney, iPhone, instant noodles), but on balance I think it might be a net negative.
It feels like the incentives are all wrong. How can we trust the solutions they give us, when the solutions are pushed through for profit?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What's the shocking revelation here?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
these same people are probably terrified of a paperclip optimizer ai

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

What's the shocking revelation here?

gas stoves being known to be bad since the 70s

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

anyway here's something more typically hn

Connor_Creegan 2 days ago | root | parent | next [–]

Because if my instincts cannot be altered to the point of having "neutral" heuristic judgment (again, whatever the heck that is even supposed to entail and even supposing that that is an ideal) then it is literally a benefit to their community if I am not regularly among them. My presence among them would necessarily be parasitic (regardless of my intentions, because we are talking about inflicting harm unconsciously). That is, so long as I am otherwise giving to their community as much as anyone else in that community.
Even though I don't think it is necessary to make an appeal to the destiny of an ethnic minority, I would nevertheless maintain that Martin Luther King Jr.'s vision and really the whole paradigm of "civil rights" beginning with the Fourteenth Amendment was and has been objectively bad for blacks in America considered collectively. We romanticize decisions like Brown vs. Board and the forced integration that came thereafter because of cherry-picked pictures of well-to-do white ladies screaming at a little black girl in Little Rock, but the fact of the matter was that most black parents wanted their children to attend all-black schools, and these schools basically went out of existence and many black teachers were left without jobs because they couldn't get hired at the integrated schools that stayed open that were by-and-large white-administrated. Of course, the civil rights apologist would say that this was because federal government had not yet gone far enough, but the federal government is necessarily slow and there is little incentive for a holistic program of forced integration on behalf of the executive branch. But there is just enough incentive to dish out these measures when it appeases some short term interest a particular critical mass, and this kind of high(center)-low(periphery) cooperation against the middle(subsidiary) is quite commonplace throughout Western history. The fact of the matter is that the history of civil rights in America is a sequence of not-having-gone-far-enough-yet that stretches to nowhere. This is why I prefer the Malcolm X approach, despite some of his own flaws. Blacks do not have a position of national sovereignty. They have a position of being dispersed into the urban areas of major cities and integrated (often initially by force of higher power) into what were originally WASP institutions. Their dependencies on white institutions is what has utterly screwed them for decades now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that reads a lot like the well-meaning white people that were melting down in the spring of 2020 because "oh my god this is a new level of racist violence in the united states i can't believe it, it didn't used to be like this"

and it's like wow tell me you didn't have any black friends growing up without telling me you didn't have any black friends growing up. and you don't wanna come down _too_ hard on those people because it's better that they're paying attention now rather than having their heads in the sand like previously, and more support against racist bullshit is a good thing. but sometimes you can make a snarky post about it a few years later

mystes
May 31, 2006

ilaksh 6 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

Typical of management to shut down engineers with superior cognition, integrity and foresight.
If you have the ability to do so, don't let business types control your products. Engineers should stick together and build in their own. The investor and executive class, that doesn't do actual problem solving but just focuses on using other people to collect more money regardless of all else, should not be rewarded.

(it's on a Business Insider article titled "Two Google engineers built a ChatGPT-like AI chatbot years ago, but execs reportedly shut it down due to safety concerns" which HN helpful shortened to "Google internally developed chatbots like ChatGPT years ago")

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
nmfisher 5 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Once someone creates SmarmyNerdGPT, it's all over for HN.

Gigachad 5 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

SmarmyNerdGPT is a pointless product. You could have done this with bash scripts and curl. Why would anyone pay for this?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

nmfisher 5 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Once someone creates SmarmyNerdGPT, it's all over for HN.

Gigachad 5 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

SmarmyNerdGPT is a pointless product. You could have done this with bash scripts and curl. Why would anyone pay for this?
Lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:discourse:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

narrator 37 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Once robotics and computer vision gets there, there could be a lot of money in robotized regenerative agriculture. Imagine if a robot could companion plant, and pick the beans, corn and squash. I want a robot to go into my backyard, soil sample, order amendments, and order a fence. Then it will set up the fence, till the soil using delivered attachments that are rented for the soil tiling period and then companion plant. It will also manage and safely apply the human manure out of my composting toilet, since most humans find that work disagreeable, and apply it to the soil in a way that diseases and contamination are not spread, because the people using it only eat from the organic crops that are grown there and take no medications.
It will hook itself up to the solar panel / battery hookup to recharge every night, and go out and weed during the day and look for vermin to kill with its laser attachment both day and night. Fully self-sufficient after the initial set up, except for the tilling, but you could buy those rented attachments. Oh yeah, it also knows how to fix everything and it has parts that are completely modular and replaceable, so I can quickly diagnose and order a replacement part that just snaps in easily if something breaks for some reason.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

fritz posted:

narrator 37 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Once robotics and computer vision gets there, there could be a lot of money in robotized regenerative agriculture. Imagine if a robot could companion plant, and pick the beans, corn and squash. I want a robot to go into my backyard, soil sample, order amendments, and order a fence. Then it will set up the fence, till the soil using delivered attachments that are rented for the soil tiling period and then companion plant. It will also manage and safely apply the human manure out of my composting toilet, since most humans find that work disagreeable, and apply it to the soil in a way that diseases and contamination are not spread, because the people using it only eat from the organic crops that are grown there and take no medications.
It will hook itself up to the solar panel / battery hookup to recharge every night, and go out and weed during the day and look for vermin to kill with its laser attachment both day and night. Fully self-sufficient after the initial set up, except for the tilling, but you could buy those rented attachments. Oh yeah, it also knows how to fix everything and it has parts that are completely modular and replaceable, so I can quickly diagnose and order a replacement part that just snaps in easily if something breaks for some reason.

hn thread: the human manure out of my composting toilet

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fritz posted:

frankreyes 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Hi again @elonmusk

Yes. I've met a bunch of MBAs who hate Musk. What did they accomplish in their professional career? They don't even run their own business, let alone a multi billion dollar disruption. They did the MBA to get a promotion at their blue collar jobs.

All the musk related threads on HN are gold.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

modzu 4 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

oh no not my health data!!! seriously though, why do people put health data in some kind of special class or category worthy of more privacy than anything else? your entire identity is out there -- where you live, when you're home, who you know, what you download, pictures of your children, how much money you have, where your great great loving grandma is from... tell you one thing, if your health data is not in that list, it soon will be

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

modzu 4 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

oh no not my health data!!! seriously though, why do people put health data in some kind of special class or category worthy of more privacy than anything else? your entire identity is out there -- where you live, when you're home, who you know, what you download, pictures of your children, how much money you have, where your great great loving grandma is from... tell you one thing, if your health data is not in that list, it soon will be
I mean they're sort of right about the situation, they're just drawing a conclusion that's the exact exact opposite of the correct one

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
UncleMeat 10 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: New Twitter API pricing starts at $42,000 per month

"World's (almost) richest person consistently sets prices using 420 and 69 because weed and sex are funny" is just so dumb.

leobg 4 hours ago

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is one of his favorite books. The 420 is a reference to “42”being the answer to the meaning of life. Nothing to do with weed.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Malloc Voidstar posted:

UncleMeat 10 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: New Twitter API pricing starts at $42,000 per month

leobg 4 hours ago

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is one of his favorite books. The 420 is a reference to “42”being the answer to the meaning of life. Nothing to do with weed.

for some reason this is the most infuriating hn post

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

straight edge musk stan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

rvz 23 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: USDC Down ~10%

> If you believe usdc will recover isn’t this free money? Where else can you buy usdc other than Coinbase?

It is free money, even Vitalik is in on it: https://etherscan.io/tx/0x4d38e765f7cee35e84d4535d3a1f40ad45...

USDC will repeg back to $1. If it rapidly falls below 0.8, the better buy in opportunity