Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BiggerBoat posted:

Was that the heavyish set black woman?

*checks*

Yes it was. Agreed. She did a great job delivering what was written for her and was good on the show throughout, but a lot of her dialogue felt forced, unnatural and stilted.

Same, and none of it was enough to take me out of the show or ruin anything but it was very hamfisted and forced in a way I'd normally expect from a right wing media production rather than someone was accomplished as David Simon. There were better ways to handle communicating that information, IMO - where you can show and not tell it - but maybe limiting the series to 6 episodes factored into that and perhaps made the writers feel like they had to shoehorn that stuff in there with limited time.

It's pretty much my only real criticism of the show

Watch Lovecraft Country if you want to see what that actress, Wunmi Mosaku, can do. She is really drat good and Simon stiffed her with lovely dialogue imo

Also watch Lovecraft Country if you want to see Michael K. Williams’ last tour de force.

Or if you want to see the best show of 2020.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You normally don’t really “feel” the camera in this show so it’s amazing when you do.

When the FBI profiler is describing the “killer” and it just keeps zooming in on McNulty, right into his stupid smug face. Lol. Lmao.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I rewatched the first season of Treme, and at least that season is so good. I remember 2 being really good too, but it dropped off after that. Clarke Peters and Wendell Pierce are great, but Khandi Alexander is the best of the whole cast. I could do without Sonny and Annie to be honest, their storyline the whole way through is not very good. It has the best music of any David Simon show, that's for sure.

I forget how many Wire alum show up. Steve Earle plays a relatively big influence in seasons 1 and 2. Slim is in it for a few episodes, Ziggy, and Prezbo show up too. Can't remember any others.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

how did Leo Fitzpatrick get typecast as just the nastiest scumbag who ever lived? other than the fact that he sells it really loving well. admittedly I've only ever seen him in the wire, bully, and kids

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also loving Domenick Lombardozzi in Tulsa King. With a fantastic rug on him too.

Edit: I read A Firing Offence which was a real great easy read by George Pelecanos who wrote a lot on the wire.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 15, 2023

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

algebra testes posted:

Also loving Domenick Lombardozzi in Tulsa King. With a fantastic rug on him too.

Man, you weren't kidding. That is a magnificent hair piece.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Don't lie to me like I'm Montel Williams. I am NOT Montel WIlliams!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ4mhaJIr7A

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
In the last season of The Deuce and this is definitely the most George Pelecanos of the three.

EDIT: ok yeah this just keeps spiraling downwards :shepface:

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 25, 2023

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Hey, I remember seeing a great quote responding to the "i don't watch crime shows" thing you sometimes get when you recommend the wire.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Watching the 1992 classic Deep Cover where A young Glynn Turman (Mayor Royce) gets gunned down in the opening 60 seconds!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, just finishing rewatch of season 2 (My favorite season) and it went by so fast compared to season 1. They just pack so. much. poo poo. into season 1 it's unreal.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Philthy posted:

Man, just finishing rewatch of season 2 (My favorite season) and it went by so fast compared to season 1. They just pack so. much. poo poo. into season 1 it's unreal.

I like how towards the end of season 2 there’s that one sequence that just throws out the usual way they shoot things and it starts aping Michael Mann. Just everything getting rapidly worse while schlubby dudes make very poor decisions. The volume on the soundtrack goes up and it’s all really intense Greek singing and a bazouki.

Season 2 rules.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I like how towards the end of season 2 there’s that one sequence that just throws out the usual way they shoot things and it starts aping Michael Mann. Just everything getting rapidly worse while schlubby dudes make very poor decisions. The volume on the soundtrack goes up and it’s all really intense Greek singing and a bazouki.

Season 2 rules.

The scene where Nick is freaking out, with a fence and grain silos behind him? The camera does a fish-eye sort of thing to show how his world is being turned upside down.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Count Roland posted:

The scene where Nick is freaking out, with a fence and grain silos behind him? The camera does a fish-eye sort of thing to show how his world is being turned upside down.

Exactly. The Wire almost never has the camera making active choices like that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

You know, they did it more than once in S2. After Ziggy shoots the Greek guy there's some camera effects as he's freaking out about it. Maybe appropriate that both cousins get that treatment.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Season 2 is just so brilliant. It's a real slow burner but every scene matters.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Count Roland posted:

You know, they did it more than once in S2. After Ziggy shoots the Greek guy there's some camera effects as he's freaking out about it. Maybe appropriate that both cousins get that treatment.

I normally hate that choppy slow-mo effect with a passion when it shows up in anything, but it felt perfectly used in that scene.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Back in 2009 when I watched it I simply didn’t buy that Ziggy would do that, but having seen the increasing spiral of lunacy that America is bobsledding down, it seems like an absolutely perfect encapsulation of American culture now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

Back in 2009 when I watched it I simply didn’t buy that Ziggy would do that, but having seen the increasing spiral of lunacy that America is bobsledding down, it seems like an absolutely perfect encapsulation of American culture now.

I felt this way about season 5

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Count Roland posted:

I felt this way about season 5

The most unrealistic thing about the serial killer plot is McNulty intended it to be a cover for police work instead of being pure grift

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

StashAugustine posted:

The most unrealistic thing about the serial killer plot is McNulty intended it to be a cover for police work instead of being pure grift

Luckily the other cops took care of that for him!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Wire adjacent; there's a documentary coming out about the Baltimore Gun Trace Task Force, the focus of "We Own This City"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnNniN9XOK0

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell yeah, We Own This City was incredible and it'll be fascinating to see footage of the actual guy. The poo poo he (and the rest of the Task Force) were doing beggars belief in just how blatant, amateurish and almost open they were in their naked corruption.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I think the fish eye Nick sequence is the last shot of the final montage? Where it's raining? And the greek music bit is where Frank goes to meet The Greek at the docks. Also, 'I Feel Alright' by Steve Earle is a great choice for the final montage

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think the fish eye Nick sequence is the last shot of the final montage? Where it's raining? And the greek music bit is where Frank goes to meet The Greek at the docks. Also, 'I Feel Alright' by Steve Earle is a great choice for the final montage

No it wasn't in the montage; by that point he was already in witness protection. Not sure when it was though

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I was sure he want down to the docks last time by the fence to look at all the old buildings? I think this calls for a rewatch

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I was sure he want down to the docks last time by the fence to look at all the old buildings? I think this calls for a rewatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN7JWfQp4rY

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I stand corrected!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
https://www.tmz.com/2023/03/17/the-wire-star-lance-reddick-dead-dies/

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

What the gently caress

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
What the gently caress

That loving sucks :smith:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
God drat, normally celebrity deaths don't get me but I was really not expecting that. :smith:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

What the gently caress :(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What the gently caress

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Shhhiiiiiiiiiitttt

Wonder what happened. I'm guessing a heart attack or something but that man was fit as hell.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
This… is… BULLSHIT!

RIP

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Way too soon, what the gently caress

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Apparently he was posting selfies at home with his dogs instead of going to the John Wick premiere. I wonder if he wasn't feeling well?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

Kevyn posted:

This… is… BULLSHIT!

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Man the cast of this show seems so cursed sometimes. gently caress.