Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I’m just glad we’re finally adding posting limits tied to verified high scores, in order to filter out the fake gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

jrpgs are just rpgs, theres no need to make a distinction

there totally is a distinction and I say that as a guy who says "jrpgs" to distinguish them as the ones I like most

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you can post about all the rpgs you want, in the rpg thread

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

gayrpgs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that is also correct

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wrpgs probably have more playable gays but jrpgs no doubt have better gayness.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Video Gaymes

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:hmmyes:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

there totally is a distinction and I say that as a guy who says "jrpgs" to distinguish them as the ones I like most

Agreed. I certainly don't play them for the same reason. I play WRPGs for the choice - for the variety of endings and routes that radically change what the story is about or who my character is. About the only JRPGs which even vaguely approach that is SMT, and even then it's just a big ending choice instead of real choice along the way as you'd get in Dragon Age or something.

That all being said, I definitely prefer the more common type of turn-based JRPG combat as well as certain Japanese tropes/cliches. I've played Final Fantasy VII and X more than any WRPG.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

JRPGs are a genre but they have a very unhelpful name. In the same way people usually know CRPG doesn't refer to every rpg released on PC, even if that's what the name would literally mean.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Even within "CRPG" and "JRPG" the genre is so broad as to make it effectively meaningless. Wizardry 7, Disco Elysium and Morrowind are all Crpgs. Jrpgs are a bit more consistent but it's still mostly just Vibes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"rpg" isn't really meaningless though it's become more abstract. it just means the game has an emphasis on mechanics inspired by ttrpgs

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"rpg" isn't really meaningless though it's become more abstract. it just means the game has an emphasis on mechanics inspired by ttrpgs

It's not literally meaningless but it's pretty close when it tells you almost nothing about how the game actually plays, but it's not really a big deal. Just don't get hung up on genre and do a bit of research to decide if you think you might like a game

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RPG is a really weird genre label that has nothing to do with gameplay anymore. JRPG specifically still mostly does, though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Even within "CRPG" and "JRPG" the genre is so broad as to make it effectively meaningless. Wizardry 7, Disco Elysium and Morrowind are all Crpgs. Jrpgs are a bit more consistent but it's still mostly just Vibes
"an RPG but not modern bioware, and made for PC first" is sometimes a useful label.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's not literally meaningless but it's pretty close when it tells you almost nothing about how the game actually plays, but it's not really a big deal. Just don't get hung up on genre and do a bit of research to decide if you think you might like a game

oh yeah though that's true with a lot of broad genre labels, even something like "FPS" can include Doom 2, SWAT4, and ARMA.

i just found the weird "but you play a role in EVERY GAME" thing misleading when RPG is reasonably well defined - its just that you can do a lot of varied things with "inspired by TTRPG mechanics", especially these days

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's aesthetics and a history of game design that makes a game a jrpg

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bring the discussion to the rpg (aka "jrpg") thread imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
do japanese gamers use these arbitrary distinctions too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
all genres are arbitrary

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
All genres are fuzzy and indistinct around the edges, but jrpg is a useful term (in that saying a game is a “jrpg” tells me more about how it plays than just saying it’s an “rpg”)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It’s only a CRPG if there’s a pyramid, a sphere, and a cube in the game, everything else is just a sparkling dungeon crawl

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if it doesn't have a towers of Hanoi puzzle is it really an rpg

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

JRPGs are RPGs that you play on the PS5, and WRPGs are RPGs that you play on the Xbox. I thought we had settled this?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

skeleton warrior posted:

It’s only a CRPG if there’s a pyramid, a sphere, and a cube in the game, everything else is just a sparkling dungeon crawl

I don't think being on the 3DO is what determines if something is a CRPG

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Scholtz posted:

JRPGs are RPGs that you play on the PS5, and WRPGs are RPGs that you play on the Xbox. I thought we had settled this?

so jrpgs don't exist

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

real CRPGs come from the CRPG region of eastern europe.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the 3DO has no games

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Looper posted:

I would count Yoshi-P as a gamer and he finds the term and he finds the term "jrpg" loaded with a derogatory history and would prefer people not refer to FFXVI as such.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
RPGlikes

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

not normally an rpg fan (ban me rarity) but now i'm interested

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mega64 posted:

RPGlikes

rpguelikes, absolutely

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 8, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

gay rocket propelled grenade

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This and also Wizardry was a huge influence on some jrpgs so that sub genre is pretty confusing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Runa posted:

I would count Yoshi-P as a gamer and he finds the term and he finds the term "jrpg" loaded with a derogatory history and would prefer people not refer to FFXVI as such.

I understand him, he's valid, and it's a jrpg

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Looper posted:

they call them "search action" games

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This discussion has infested so many of the threads I read and it's getting nowhere in any of them. I feel like genre definitions are useful but fuzzy round the edges and people get too attached to them and working out what's a *real* example of the genre.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I understand him, he's valid, and it's a jrpg

a japanese person: i don't really like the term japanese rpg
you: huh?? sorry the americans are talking

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do Europeans feel about the term "eurojank"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

HopperUK posted:

This discussion has infested so many of the threads I read and it's getting nowhere in any of them. I feel like genre definitions are useful but fuzzy round the edges and people get too attached to them and working out what's a *real* example of the genre.

I basically agree with the caveat that if the original concern about a thread’s focus is on too narrow a part of your genre, you can Simply Make a New Thread