Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I like a paid demo that is it’s own separate game, like ground zeros or that dead rising 2 demo thing that I don’t think you can get anywhere now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
demos made way more sense back when slapping a demo on the cd included with a pc magazine was a significant advertising vector

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nintendo still does demos

it's helpful since they don't do returns

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

unsurprisingly, lu bu was a real fucker of a boss fight. took close to an hour and a half

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

early access and twitch appeal being pretty important, especially for small devs, makes "content strategies" and general padding in turn important, and works against smaller tightly designed story-driven stuff. and as i like that kind of stuff a lot i am not a fan of the economics of all of this.

other things i don't care much for: appeals of the form "you can't hate on this capitalistic subsystem as its keeping computer touchers like me employed" like i'm out here with big levers to pull that'd collapse it to begin with. (another example being some appeals to not be entertained by google stumbling because people work there, i'll personally hope for best of luck for anyone on here, but i am not going to pretend to like broad systems and megacorps for the purpose)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 8, 2023

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

With video games you also get one shot at a first impression, and a lot of early access games blow their load too soon. Even if they eventually get good or at least more polished, the hypes kind of gone and there aren’t a lot of people sticking around for the retrospective. It also unfortunately set the bar lower for games that don’t release as early access but nevertheless come out unfinished, aka Cyberpunk.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Armitag3 posted:

With video games you also get one shot at a first impression, and a lot of early access games blow their load too soon. Even if they eventually get good or at least more polished, the hypes kind of gone and there aren’t a lot of people sticking around for the retrospective. It also unfortunately set the bar lower for games that don’t release as early access but nevertheless come out unfinished, aka Cyberpunk.

True, but without early access some games would never get made at all in the first place due to lack of funding. But yeah, if a company is able to fund the development of a game and put it out as early access it's scummy.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the dwarf fortress funding model is the only ethical way to develop an indie game

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

would that that were a one size fits all model

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

just gotta buy a whole lot of crayons and anyone can do it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

(another example being some appeals to not be entertained by google stumbling because people work there, i'll personally hope for best of luck for anyone on here, but i am not going to pretend to like broad systems and megacorps for the purpose)

to be a bit clearer from another thread: hooting and hollering when google steps on its dick is cool and good. complaining that the market corrections we're seeing now aren't violent enough is what hurt my feelings. i do think it's possible to distinguish between "wanting systems to go away" (like i'm rather sure we all do with surveillance capitalism) and "wanting people to be impacted as negatively as possible" (which i'm rather sure almost noone wants) but i guess it's hard to do in text. all i can say is that if something makes me feel bad, i'm gonna post that it made me feel bad so people can take that into account the next time they're gonna post something like that. saying "that hurt my feelings" isn't the same as defending the structures themselves as good, and I think that's a pretty dang important distinction.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

capitalism bad

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

quiggy posted:

capitalism bad

:hmmyes:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think the yoscolony may have expanded too fast. How do you all handle the food situation in rimworld? I feel like i'm constantly on the edge of having little to no food at all points in time.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Also I almost lost the colony to a pack of manhunting rats, whoops!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

quiggy posted:

capitalism bad

i support quiggy now

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think the yoscolony may have expanded too fast. How do you all handle the food situation in rimworld? I feel like i'm constantly on the edge of having little to no food at all points in time.

try communism op

real answer: you should also try foraging if you have berry bushes and take a look at grow times/nutrition for your plants. you generally want 2x plots of rice to anything that takes 1.5 times longer. as a rule of thumb, having one corn plot to three other plots makes it easier. so 2 rice, 1 potato, 1 corn should handle early game stuff pretty well

dioxazine fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 8, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
man I tried to play Nioh 2 again and it really is just idiot sibling to From's formula. I normally have a lot of patience for souls-likes but idk the Nioh formula just doesn't do it for me. The sound design, ux, having to ki pulse every two seconds, the deluge of loot, the unsatisfying animations / combat, high TTK on even basic enemies...

so i installed sekiro and am playing through it again and, yup kicks rear end.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Mr. Crow posted:

man I tried to play Nioh 2 again and it really is just idiot sibling to From's formula. I normally have a lot of patience for souls-likes but idk the Nioh formula just doesn't do it for me. The sound design, ux, having to ki pulse every two seconds, the deluge of loot, the unsatisfying animations / combat, high TTK on even basic enemies...

i made it to about the 4th or 5th level in nioh 1 through sheer dogged persistence, it had some interesting ideas but felt like a million systems all pulling in different directions, not to mention the bonkers and fairly obtuse story presentation.

nioh 2 on the other had got turned off in under 2 hours

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr. Crow posted:

wo long solves a lot of those issues imo, but definitely not the loot-flood. wish team ninja hadn't brought that forward

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
early game nioh 2 is a completely different beast from late game nioh 2 in that early game feels like a twitchy, offbrand soulslike while late game is more platinum action combat. it takes a bit to unlock everything but once you do you can make some insanely fun and busted builds. theres also a dozen different systems that interact with each other in ways the game doesnt really explain (stance switching, flux, sheath canceling, etc) which kinda turns it into a psudo fighting game with combos

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

not sure about the others but this is an excellent price for CONTROL, SABLE and SENUAS SACRIFICE if you don't already own them.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/humble-heroines-warriors-dreamers-and-god-slayers

CONTROL especially is a game everyone should play if you like 3rd person actioners even slightly.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

control is very amazing and good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
control is extremely good

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

control is bad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no it isn't. it was fun. it wasn't spectacular gameplay or story wise but it was a cool vibe. solid 8/10

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what the gently caress

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'm lying. control is good actually

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

got you fuckers good that time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am slain

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

someone cast raise dead on sagebrush, quick!

we have 5,000gp worth of diamond dust somewhere i'm sure

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

you know what is bad? humble bundles ux

why is it so hard to show a screen shot hb

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

you know what is bad? humble bundles ux

why is it so hard to show a screen shot hb

Is / was that place a scam or why have i not heard about that place in what feels like a decade, lord knows i haven't been there in nearly as many years. Seems pike they dropped off thw map but maybe its a me thing?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It was a neat concept to start but it seems like recently it's just a bunch of garbage shovelware like the old 1,001 game CD-ROMs. And they changed the pricing model so now it's not really a donation anymore, you have to "donate" more than 15 dollars to get the one game in the bundle that anybody wants, etc so like just get things on steam.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sagebrush posted:

It was a neat concept to start but it seems like recently it's just a bunch of garbage shovelware like the old 1,001 game CD-ROMs. And they changed the pricing model so now it's not really a donation anymore, you have to "donate" more than 15 dollars to get the one game in the bundle that anybody wants, etc so like just get things on steam.

This started as an anti-key-reseller thing and devolved from there.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm not big into multiplayer shooters, but the physics destruction going on here is a lot of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCVLiQk2Npg

Ciaphas posted:

said "what the gently caress" out loud at 4:32 and went to request access thru steam immediately

that said i usually get frustrated and put out by competitive games kinda fast, but we'll see

This looks rad and fun. Thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

they got bought by somebody and changed how loosely you can define the humble/publisher/charity split. between that and general bundle fatigue it's not so popular any more

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm only aware of fanatical and GMG as humble competitors, at least in the west

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

they got bought by somebody and changed how loosely you can define the humble/publisher/charity split. between that and general bundle fatigue it's not so popular any more

they got bought by ign, lol

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they got bought by ign, lol

Lol there it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

also I suspect gamepass is eating their lunch