Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I usually just send a picture of piggy poo balls, but that is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

smellmycheese posted:

My wife got the “mum” scam text and replied so expertly they went quiet after this lol

Perfect opportunity for the scammer to reply with "moooOOOoooOOmmm!!! >:[" even if they know they've been made.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

This is more on the IT Security side than a typical scam, but it's really just a spearfishing attack. Speaking from experience, the easiest and most successful scam is calling random people and saying, "Hi, this is GWBBQ from IT security. I'm calling because we noticed unusual activity on your account. Could you please verify your username and password for me?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Do we have any good effortposts or resources on how current MLM schemes work, how they're regulated and how they're legal? I'm not caught up in any, thank goodness, but I've always been curious about how companies like Amway have stuck around despite...gestures broadly everything.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

You want the first season of the podcast The Dream, I think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Discendo Vox posted:

Do we have any good effortposts or resources on how current MLM schemes work, how they're regulated and how they're legal? I'm not caught up in any, thank goodness, but I've always been curious about how companies like Amway have stuck around despite...gestures broadly everything.

I've got a few posts in this thread on MLM's

Honestly, though, just google "MLM scam" and you'll get hundreds of articles and videos on the subject. I don't have a "favorite" one but some of the best stuff I've read is actually testimonials from reddit threads.

There's also a really good (and free) book from a former IBO called "Merchants of Deception" that gives a good inside look.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Out of all the stuff Trump did I got irrationally angry that Betsy DeVos
of Amway mlm scheme became our secretary of education.

Her brother owns blackwater too and the family is the 88th richest in the United States.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That family is comically evil, it’s weird

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Discendo Vox posted:

The subreddit /r/antiMLM is a good source.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/03/05/ai-voice-scam/

quote:

Scammers are using artificial intelligence to sound more like family members in distress. People are falling for it and losing thousands of dollars.

What do you think, is this real or just effective clickbait? It’s odd that the examples are all Canadian for an article in the Washington post.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/03/05/ai-voice-scam/

What do you think, is this real or just effective clickbait? It’s odd that the examples are all Canadian for an article in the Washington post.

I'd imagine a decent number of scammers aren't native English speakers, so an AI voicebot might be more effective in that case?

Might be useful in the take a celebrity voice and use that to scam "donations" sense...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BILLY MAYS HERE

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m Brad Pitt and I need a few bucks for booze from you fine goons pm me

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Professor Shark posted:

I’m Brad Pitt and I need a few bucks for booze from you fine goons pm me

If you picked Andy Dick I woulda believed you.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Isn’t he dead

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Don't the dead need our help most of all?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I looked it up and he’s still alive??? I guess his career is dead, I’d believe it was him if he called asking for money

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Brad pitt isn`t dead

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Give me time, still working on it

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"Good evening, this is Art Bell coming to your telephone from east of the mortal plane. In addition to being an award-winning AI app that generates endless hours of new Coast to Coast AM content, tonight, we're going to delve into the mysteries of your bank account. So sit back, relax, and get your most recent statements, as we journey into the unknown."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I hardly ever watch cable/regular TV anymore and am not subjected much to their ads these days but my work has TV's everywhere and it's been pretty wild seeing every single ad with entire paragraphs of fine print that you couldn't read if you tried with the highest 4k high def on the planet in the time it's on screen that I'm pretty sure just say "everything we just said is bullshit and will not be honored SO gently caress YOU"

I listen to some radio here and there and they do the same poo poo only with really super sped up disclaimers that say the same thing in order to save on the ad time that explain how "everything we just said is bullshit".

I'm sure there's some toothless government FCC regulations somewhere that address these sorts of things and I like to imagine a bunch of lawyers arguing about what's legally legible, how long it needs to be displayed to be readable and what font size constitutes full disclosure but my main takeaway is basically that every single ad anywhere at any time in any medium is a scam that is nothing more than a legal way to lie to you.

Along similar lines: ever take a look at the verbiage in a credit card statement, prescription drug print ad or a bank loan because jesus christ. Even if you read it, good luck parsing it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I hardly ever watch cable/regular TV anymore and am not subjected much to their ads these days but my work has TV's everywhere and it's been pretty wild seeing every single ad with entire paragraphs of fine print that you couldn't read if you tried with the highest 4k high def on the planet in the time it's on screen that I'm pretty sure just say "everything we just said is bullshit and will not be honored SO gently caress YOU"

I listen to some radio here and there and they do the same poo poo only with really super sped up disclaimers that say the same thing in order to save on the ad time that explain how "everything we just said is bullshit".

I'm sure there's some toothless government FCC regulations somewhere that address these sorts of things and I like to imagine a bunch of lawyers arguing about what's legally legible, how long it needs to be displayed to be readable and what font size constitutes full disclosure but my main takeaway is basically that every single ad anywhere at any time in any medium is a scam that is nothing more than a legal way to lie to you.

Along similar lines: ever take a look at the verbiage in a credit card statement, prescription drug print ad or a bank loan because jesus christ. Even if you read it, good luck parsing it.

I often wonder if the explosion of conspiracy culture is partially due to the fact that people are constantly being bombarded by liars and scammers every waking moment. One factor of many, but I bet it contributes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I work in ecommerce, and a person contacted us today cause they signed up for our new customer discount, but weren't able to use it on one of the items listed in the email that gave them the code. The item was a pre-discounted bundle and the code was only for regular-priced items. While that's definitely a mistake on our email marketing, my dude sent an absolute meltdown as his first contact with us about it, including doubting whether there "even was a <boss's name>" (i.e. whether the "about us" page was a total fabrication). It was a completely unhinged email, but it was also clear that this is a dude who's been completely taken by online scam companies before and has developed an unhealthy paranoia. Spread some version/degree of that experience across an entire society and I bet there will be some fun new social/political forces developing.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

This was the opening slide of the Tesla Investor's Day livestream:

quote:

Certain statements in this presentation, including, but not limited to, statements relating to the future development, ramp, production capacity and output rates, supply chain, demand and market growth, cost, pricing and profitability, deliveries, deployment, availability and other features and improvements and timing of existing and future Tesla products and technologies such as Model 3, Model Y, Model X, Model S, Cybertruck, Tesla Semi, Robotaxi, our next generation vehicle platform, our Autopilot, Full Self-Driving, and other vehicle software and our energy storage and solar products; statements regarding operating margin, operating profits, spending and liquidity; and statements regarding expansions, improvements and/or ramp and related timing at existing or new factories are “forward-looking statements” that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations, and are a result of certain risks and uncertainties, actual results may differ materially from those projected. The following important factors, without limitation, could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements: uncertainties in future macroeconomic and regulatory conditions arising from the current global pandemic; the risk of delays in launching and manufacturing our products and features cost-effectively; our ability to grow our sales, delivery, installation, servicing and charging capabilities and effectively manage this growth; consumers’ demand for electric vehicles generally and our vehicles specifically; the ability of suppliers to deliver components according to schedules, prices, quality and volumes acceptable to us, and our ability to manage such components effectively; any issues with lithium-ion cells or other components manufactured at Gigafactory Nevada and Gigafactory Shanghai; our ability to ramp Gigafactory Shanghai, Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg, Gigafactory Texas and new factories in accordance with our plans; our ability to procure supply of battery cells, including through our own manufacturing; risks relating to international expansion; any failures by Tesla products to perform as expected or if product recalls occur; the risk of product liability claims; competition in the automotive and energy product markets; our ability to maintain public credibility and confidence in our long-term business prospects; our ability to manage risks relating to our various product financing programs; the status of government and economic incentives for electric vehicles and energy products; our ability to attract, hire and retain key employees and qualified personnel and ramp our installation teams; our ability to maintain the security of our information and production and product systems; our compliance with various regulations and laws applicable to our operations and products, which may evolve from time to time; risks relating to our indebtedness and financing strategies; and adverse foreign exchange movements. More information on potential factors that could affect our financial results is included from time to time in our Securities and Exchange Commission filings and reports, including the risks identified under the section captioned “Risk Factors” in our annual report on Form 10-K filed with the SEC on January 31, 2023. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update information contained in these forward-looking statements whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

Welcome investors, to this special event for you, who we want to invest in our company. However, we will not be held accountable for any of the crazy poo poo we're gonna say tonight.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Our disclaimer is already answering all of the questions people say it's bringing up

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Tesla is whole other world of lies… they got people to buy into the fact that their cars were going to be able to drive themselves (fully) and people have.
Oh, the words Full Self Driving don’t mean that!!

Now they’re too invested to admit that they got suckered into buying one on false pretenses. I can not believe there hasn’t been a class action lawsuit brought up to them on this.

I feel cheated and I haven’t even given them a dime

It just makes me sad that people can get away with this stuff with no accountability at all and become billionaires and EVEN be respected by tons of people

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

greazeball posted:

This was the opening slide of the Tesla Investor's Day livestream:

Welcome investors, to this special event for you, who we want to invest in our company. However, we will not be held accountable for any of the crazy poo poo we're gonna say tonight.

That’s a lot of words to cover their rear end on whatever arbitrary bullshit falls out of Elon Musk’s mouth.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

namlosh posted:

Tesla is whole other world of lies… they got people to buy into the fact that their cars were going to be able to drive themselves (fully) and people have.
Oh, the words Full Self Driving don’t mean that!!

Now they’re too invested to admit that they got suckered into buying one on false pretenses. I can not believe there hasn’t been a class action lawsuit brought up to them on this.

I feel cheated and I haven’t even given them a dime

It just makes me sad that people can get away with this stuff with no accountability at all and become billionaires and EVEN be respected by tons of people

As someone who was briefly driving behind a Tesla on my way to work this morning, I agree with this post.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My parents came out to visit me last year and while we were up in Santa Rosa a Lyft that showed up was a Tesla. It was the first time any of us had been in one and we spent the whole time trying not to giggle at the interior and the barrage of dumb poo poo on the center console. As soon as we got dropped off and the guy drove away we spent like the next 30 minutes laughing our asses off at the fact that anybody would spend so much money on that piece of poo poo or think it was actually cool.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve heard the interiors are shockingly cheap

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sydin posted:

My parents came out to visit me last year and while we were up in Santa Rosa a Lyft that showed up was a Tesla.

How long did it take you to work out how the stupid back door handle mechanism worked? So ridiculous.

My girlfriend and her cousin rented one for a week on a trip they took last year, and after 2 days they just left it at the airbnb and Uber’d everywhere because of how bad it is.

These people are literally spending ridiculous money on terrible cars just to boot lick a guy who might one day respond to them with a smiley face on Twitter.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Having driven a friend's for an afternoon, it's a little weird but the torque if you turn off the economy limiter is pretty swell. A+ would floor it again.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I just encountered a simple but mean one. A friend's Facebook account was compromised and the hackers sent everyone she knew a Facebook messenger text saying that someone had died along with a fake tiktok link. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the first line of text pop up in my notifications, although it was immediately obvious it wasn't something she'd really send once I looked closer.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I thought the point of the junk mail about my car's warranty expiring was to convince me to buy a worthless extended warranty but the one I got today left me really confused. It references a 2022 Volvo C40, which is definitely not the car I own. More importantly, any 2022 car is still years away from the warranty expiring. Is the scam that they're hoping I will call them and give them enough information that they can secretly transfer my car title to some guy in Florida or are they just trying extra hard to make sure that only abject morons and confused old people actually bother taking them up on the offer?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

EL BROMANCE posted:

These people are literally spending ridiculous money on terrible cars just to boot lick a guy who might one day respond to them with a smiley face on Twitter.

I was at a playground with my kid a couple years back. Mom calls to her kid, looks about 6 years old "Tesla, come eat your snack." "Tesla, time to go."

Tesla operates near where I live.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

How long did it take you to work out how the stupid back door handle mechanism worked? So ridiculous.

The last time my Uber was a Tesla, the app literally popped up as a message as the driver arrived that explained how to open the backdoor. Not a text from the driver because he'd had issues before - an Uber-wide system design for Teslas. That's how ridiculous.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I like that the car gets very mad at you in you try pulling on the handle like a normal human, instead of pressing the "open door" button.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I may have fallen for a scam. I was trying to sell some old furniture on facebook marketplace, put a twin bed my kids don't use anymore for a good price. Immediately got 4-5 responses within minutes. Should've stopped and thought that was fishy because I didn't see any/many clicks on the listing at the same time, but I started chatting with them. The first contact wanted to "confirm I was a real person and not a scam", asked to send me a 6 digit code. Should of knew it was fishy, got the text, shared the code back with them. Then they said the phone number + code didn't work and they needed a new phone number to try again. At that point I realized something was up and blocked them. The 6-digit code was for something called Google Voice, and apparently it's way to steal your Google Voice account.

https://www.aura.com/learn/google-v...%20More%20items

I don't know if I'm in the clear, because I my Google Account is through a university and when I tried to log in to Google Voice using my Google Account it said this was not an available option per the account's administrator settings. I'm assuming they can still set up a Google Voice account just using my phone number though.

All the other messengers interested in the furniture asked for the same thing so I blocked and reported them all.

EDIT: Turns out they can use what I gave them to make a google voice account, poo poo. I'm trying to follow the directions for recovering the google voice account but they're not matching up with what I see online. Does anyone have a nice, easy step-by-step guide with pictures for this?

EDIT: None of the guides are helping. Using google voice on the computer doesn't give me the option to set up a different number to try to retrieve my other one, and on the phone I don't see any settings that allow it.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah sorry dude but most likely it's because they already hijacked it.