Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm a prisoner... of these massive loving tits!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

been saying for 10 years that tropers deserve execution and i remain correct

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

been saying for 10 years that tropers deserve execution and i remain correct

This trope brought to you by Robespierre.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

im jealous

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The reason I put the word real in quotation marks was that I didn’t mean literally. Like Byston Well is most definitively physically real in the context of the story and to the characters, I’m talking in a meta-textual sense. Because Dunbine is great but not Isekai. If Isekai is so broadly defined as to mean “any story with a portal” then it’s functionally useless and we should stop using it. But the very fact that it’s not useless, that you can say the word and people know what you mean and that you’re not talking about Dunbine, speaks for itself.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they know you're not talking about dunbine because nobody on the english speaking internet loving talks about dunbine

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unless we're talking Garzey's Wing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The Colonel posted:

they know you're not talking about dunbine because nobody on the english speaking internet loving talks about dunbine

Fair

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Dunbine is gonna be hot, just you wait.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Gotta save those for the show.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

Unless we're talking Garzey's Wing.
HEY CHRIS

YES CHRIS I'M AT THE POOL WHAT IS IT

I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIGHT OFF THESE INVADERS WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I DO

OKAY CHRIS DO YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE A GUN

WHAT

ITS REAL SIMPLE I'LL WALK YOU THROUGH IT

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's, a version of garzey's wing that could be much more genuinely fun if it wasn't the worst written and animated thing tomino's ever made

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Gundam peaked at G Gundam

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
That's an opinion one could hold, especially if they wanted to have an incorrect one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Colonel posted:

At least not any place of decency. There's an /m/ thread for Dunbine that pops up every so often.

Sorry, only mimics.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The best part about Dunbine is that they give the cool insectoid suit to the hero. Any other show that would be a villain mech.
Okay well the actual best part is ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK! ORE WA SEEEN SHIIIIII!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

galagazombie posted:

The best part about Dunbine is that they give the cool insectoid suit to the hero. Any other show that would be a villain mech.
Okay well the actual best part is ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK! ORE WA SEEEN SHIIIIII!

Second best part is the second opening to Dunbine where they keep on swapping back and forth on whether to highlight it or the Bilbine (which is a way cooler mech, Fight me) seemingly at random. Including the great shot where the singer shouts "AURA BATTLER! DUNBINE!" and it fires a blanket of magic aura and the Bilbine pops out of it like a really ridiculous magic trick.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best part of dunbine is the utterly unhinged rimuru luft arc. she just. never does anything. and it goes on so long it becomes a running joke. the moment she gets out she does something stupid and gets captured again. the one time anyone helps her out it's in the most insane and unproductive way. she feels like a joke character and i can't tell if she's actually supposed to be that or not

why did bern hand her a loving hand grenade. how did he expect a hand grenade to help her. what was his intent. did he want to help her get out or did he want to help her accidentally kill herself.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
a true isekai is impossible because the self is mutually constructed with the world, and so we are never really truly in "another" world. being reborn in another world is, if anything, merely an extension of the mirror stage rather than a genuine encounter with the unknown or unknowable.

likewise, to understand the classical roots of the tsundere, consult anne carson's "eros the bittersweet" and specifically sappho's title-inspiring use of the term "glukupikron" (γλυκύπικρον, "sweet-bitter"), and the specific concept of pretense as a way of preserving "aidos" (aἰδώς, "shamefastness") which separates the desirer and the desired.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you people need to find a more fun way to think about stories

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The Colonel posted:

you people need to find a more fun way to think about stories

"is the odyssey an isekai?" is almost as boring a question as "is the aeneid fanfiction?"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
For something to be fanfiction the original work must be held by some kind of authority who maintains canon, and the author of the hypothetical fan fiction to be working outside of that. Dante’s Inferno is thus fan fiction because the church owns the Bible and literally invented canon. The Aeneid is not fan fiction as Greco-Roman mythology had no central authority and was thus public domain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope i get transported to another world where this thread doesnt have tedious discussions about isekai anime every five pages

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

this fate was set the moment this thread’s name included the word isekai

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I died and woke up in a world where SomethingAwful forums was the biggest forum in the world, and reddit is dying

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GateOfD posted:

I died and woke up in a world where SomethingAwful forums was the biggest forum in the world, and reddit is dying

So, what's it like, posting from hell?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like how the question is the odyssey an isekai is actually literally yes if we point to the Canadian TV series of the same name with Ryan Reynalds before he was famous.

The story is about a boy who falls from IIRC a tree house and enters a coma but wakes up in like a fantasy world that mirrors the real world and things somehow kinda magically affect each other across the threshold.

At one point he wakes up from the coma but can still basically enter the other world at will by some kind of day dreaming mechanism.

Its a show I saw as a kid but it lives rent free in my head to this day. It's such an engaging idea.

galagazombie posted:

For something to be fanfiction the original work must be held by some kind of authority who maintains canon, and the author of the hypothetical fan fiction to be working outside of that. Dante’s Inferno is thus fan fiction because the church owns the Bible and literally invented canon. The Aeneid is not fan fiction as Greco-Roman mythology had no central authority and was thus public domain.

Shouldn't we factor in the fact(IIRC?) that the aeneid was commissioned by the Emperor as a means of reinforcing imperial authority? If I remember it's origins right.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"fan fiction" is a phenomenon that exists in popular culture. neither the aeneid nor the divine comedy are popular culture. thank you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GateOfD posted:

oh gently caress yea

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i like when man with sword hit dragon

Kwyndig posted:

So, what's it like, posting from hell?

sounds like heaven to me really

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Endorph posted:

i hope i get transported to another world where this thread doesnt have tedious discussions about isekai anime every five pages posts

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

when does spring season relatively start anyways

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

symbolic posted:

when does spring season relatively start anyways

The start of April by the looks of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

symbolic posted:

i like when man with sword hit dragon

Consider: when dragon hit man with sword.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Consider: when dragon hit man with sword.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i like tree goat lacan posts, and i'm not afraid to stand up for my belief

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endorph posted:

i hope i get transported to another world where this thread doesnt have tedious discussions about isekai anime every five pages
You get your wish but Bocchi the Rock never gets made and is instead adapted as a Netflix Jem and the Holograms series.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FilthyImp posted:

You get your wish but Bocchi the Rock never gets made and is instead adapted as a Netflix Jem and the Holograms series.

you're not the one who decides these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the worst is the fanfiction
that's also an isekai

like the ones where they isekai into Marvel or Naruto or One Piece, and its just about the worst bits of everything together with the most wrong characterizations ever. (like spider-man killing an entire gang ruthlessly)