Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

beeftweeter takes a photo of a bear rolling around in a meadow at dusk. when he gets home he notices the histogram doesn’t stretch right from one end to the next, so he does what any other new yorker would do and brings those blacks down , and raises those whites into the sky. the picture now has the contrast of a blacked.com video, and he sits back, happy to be alive for one more day

its true i do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
relentless

:negative:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
took a sweet hi-res nighttime panorama of the city the other night and i can't get the drat thing to render. affinity writes a 300GB temp file in the process, takes hours to align the thing and then craps out when i try to actually do the final conversion step. anyone have a favourite software for that kind of thing? it's like 75 images, shouldn't really be beyond the capabilities of a modern computer

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i had to stand in the snow with my tripod in -10C for 30 minutes or something to get it so even if the picture ends up being bad i'm not ready to write it off yet

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

big scary monsters posted:

took a sweet hi-res nighttime panorama of the city the other night and i can't get the drat thing to render. affinity writes a 300GB temp file in the process, takes hours to align the thing and then craps out when i try to actually do the final conversion step. anyone have a favourite software for that kind of thing? it's like 75 images, shouldn't really be beyond the capabilities of a modern computer

i don't really do that kind of stuff but i think you could probably script imagemagick to stitch it together

alternatively i guess i'd try doing one portion first (i guess like, 35/40?) and then stitching that

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

you can do it in blender (skip the vid->image sequence step in this vid obviously)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_x62z1T9tk
edit: like 2:15

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

idk how big all the files are but if you want to package and upload them i could try pressing the [smash together] button in lightroom

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the latest lightroom I have is spending literally like ten seconds applying some presets

idk what they did but they hosed some poo poo up. good luck lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
something I genuinely like about instagram is that I just commented on a post from a dude with 150k followers and he replied and ended up saying have a good weekend and you too

like it’s a weird level playing field in a way. it’s surprised me more than a few times when people with many many followers have engaged. it’s good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

people with lots of followers aren't actually celebrities or anything like that most of the time. they're just people whose job (or part of it) is having a social media presence. the quality of artist isn't really measured by their follower count. follower count more accurately measures skill at developing social media presence.

these sorts of folks don't get to have those followers without eNgAgInG wItH tHe CoMmUnItY

plus i mean you can just buy followers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don’t try to undermine my joy lmao some dude who has a big number said hi to me, and that is all that matters

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“that person who you thought you had a connection with? well think again dumbass, that meant nothing, anyone with $5 can have a hundred and fifty thousand followers. I like to remind people of this and make sure they keep their personal social status in the gutter”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what sort of connection do you imagine you have with this guy?

like if it's some famous artist you admire then that's cool that he sent a message to you, sure. but it sounds like ultimately just a "you're my favorite fan!" autograph from a rock star

also for that matter is this guy's work actually good or does he just have a lot of followers? one of my little cousins has like 30,000 followers on her instagram. she just does the follow-4-follow thing constantly. they're meaningless

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 10, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

“that person who you thought you had a connection with? well think again dumbass, that meant nothing, anyone with $5 can have a hundred and fifty thousand followers. I like to remind people of this and make sure they keep their personal social status in the gutter”

oh cool so you didn't understand the point at all. ok.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

what sort of connection do you imagine you have with this guy?

like if it's some famous artist you admire then that's cool that he sent a message to you, sure. but it sounds like ultimately just a "you're my favorite fan!" autograph from a rock star

also for that matter is this guy's work actually good or does he just have a lot of followers? one of my little cousins has like 30,000 followers on her instagram. she just does the follow-4-follow thing constantly. they're meaningless

lol i just said hi and dude said hi back

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

oh cool so you didn't understand the point at all. ok.

spose just wish I hadn’t posted about something I was briefly excited about then

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imma simple dude. if I met axl rose back stage at a gnr concert I’d be buzzed. I wouldn’t be disillusioned into thinking we were mates

instagram IS ECMXACMR RHE SAME and when taylor_swift_69 and me have a conversation it makes me feel good and it puts but a tiny breathe of air into this life of suffering.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

drink more water

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

everyone posting itt is my follower

thank you

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echi i was telling you that because you're (at least) as good as those people you're excited about noticing you. you shouldn't be surprised that these people respond to you because there's no reason they shouldn't - they're your peers and equals. how many followers they have is completely and utterly beside the point.

if you want to take this as me trying to dash the joy from your life that's your prerogative i guess but cmon man. you deserve that kind of self worth every day, not just when some instagram guy says hi.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i also hope you have a good weekend echi

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
also ty everyone for the suggestions re: big panorama. i used a long lens to get detail in the city bits and a wide angle to fill in the clouds and sky so i kinda need some blending at the edges of the individual images, which affinity handles for me but seems like it would be pretty tedious to do by hand. going to give it a try doing smaller batches and then stitching the lot together after

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i hope all of you have a good weekend :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

you deserve that kind of self worth every day, not just when some instagram guy says hi.

that's a nice thing to say. thanks man

tomoro I have photoshoot for first time in ages.

I am taking a 5ifty mm lens. just that canon f\1.8 that every man and his dog has.

its an ok lens but it's highly likely i won't use it

its going to be sunset time. at the beach. person wants to skate board down the pier in a dress. I am yet to be convinced. I have a hot pink ski-mask thing which may or may not be worthwhile. maybe for a few shots anyway

I also have one of these I am going to bring it

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004244853580.html

its kinda way too dim to use for anything worthwhile. well not true I made a sick profile pic but im not sure how i'll incorporate it.

my motto for a photoshoot is "wing the gently caress out of it"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

last night i spent some time reading ken rockwell's site. here are my thoughts, more or less in order

* who is this guy
* oh ok he's a professional photographer
* this is all way oversaturated, i don't like it
* compose in-camera, that makes some sense, this might help me
* ok yeah i've probably been caring too much about gear and need to focus on the fundamentals, especially now that i have the gear to do all the things i want
* oh this is a really nice picture, i guess the oversaturated works sometimes
* another nice one, ok, i'm starting to get it
* jesus the colors on this make my eyes hurt
* yeah composition is important, i really need to up my game here. these are great tips
* ok this writing guy's style is kind of annoying, but he seems to know a lot about photography
* the remarks on conveying a simple idea clearly are spot-on and were what i needed to read (not that, you know, they aren't all over yciapos etc...)
* lmao this review is gross, it feels like leica's marketing department paid per word
* wait this review directly contradicts homeboy's advice, this _is_ super gross, i'm out, gently caress this

so my take-aways are:

1. Get the broad strokes of composition right - perhaps with unfocused eyes - first
2. Do the subtractive thing and frame the shot to only have the stuff you want in it
3. You should end up with a clear and simple presentation of an idea
4. Now you can get the details right to make it a really special, surprising, good photograph
5. It's ok to use photography to show things as you imagine them, or as you want them to be instead of exactly as they are.
Corollary: don't go crazy with the saturation or it looks really bad
6. I should pretend I'm shooting a film camera, and take fewer good pictures - perhaps fiddling with camera settings - rather than taking a lot of similar photos

A lot of what I struggle with is that I mostly in terms of snapshots - I did _this_ with my son, I hiked _that_ trail, I saw _this_ animal. All the stuff above really amounts to "try hard to take a good photograph ya dingus." And honestly I think that's what I should do. There's a difference between taking good snapshots and taking thoughtful photographs. I take good snapshots, I think. Anyone can. You just take pics where you mostly get focus, exposure, etc. right, follow some basic composition guidelines, and you'll do pretty well. But to really improve, I'm gonna need to really try to _take good photos_ where maybe I don't care about documenting the subject for the family photobook so much and focus on conveying a particular idea, concept, etc. other than that which is obviously the subject.

Achmed Jones posted:

...photography that is "check out my cool _____." the blank can be poodle jones or little jones or ms jones or a neat bug i found or an animal at the zoo or the wildflowers exploding over the canyon in the nature preserve. but what i'm not doing is saying "i want to take a picture of 'wistful longing' or 'detached parental satisfaction' and then trying to convey that specific emotion to a viewer. i just want to share a well-composed and interesting photo of my son laying his head on the dog. the emotion that i feel looking at the picture comes through, but isn't my primary focus

...but it's also snapshots, and it's also a process of elevating and bringing artistic considerations into the normal takin pictures thing that so many of us do anyway.

so i think that if i want to get better, i can't keep doing "check out this cool __________" as the primary driver of my photography. so the thing i quote above, i gotta do better than

to that end, do any of you know any good photography textbooks? i want to know about different photographers' styles and what makes them good (please dear lord with reprints of the photos so I can see them!) and also i want shooting exercises to help me practice. i also just got a massive pay cut so the jones family hobby budget is drastically reduced, so something that you used in your high school or college photography class a decade or two ago that is availabe for $6 used on amazon would be perfect

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i also hope you have a good weekend echi

Beeftweeter posted:

i hope all of you have a good weekend :)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Hi, I'm Ken Rockwell, You Might Remember Me From Such Camera Reviews as "Leica? I Married Her!" And "Saturation: The Photographer's Best Friend!"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i think that's a fair takeaway re: composition. it basically goes back to what i was saying earlier itt: if you have composition nailed down then your equipment really doesn't matter. that's not to say having good stuff doesn't help, of course, but it's absolutely not necessary. shittier equipment will also require other understanding (of focal lengths, aperture, shutter speeds, that kind of stuff) to generate a good result, but broadly if the composition is good then you will almost invariably have a usable picture. the common rules-of-thumb are just that for a reason, they are broadly applicable and work well

and again, i wish i had a textbook recommendation for you, but i'm not that kind of learner really. i don't remember if it was in PMs or itt, but i think for me it really comes down to experience: with digital you can just keep shooting, shooting and shooting until you have something that works for you

the suggestion to treat digital as film is an interesting one, but it's not imo helpful. yeah, limiting yourself to a certain number of exposures can help. but if you're physically limited then it becomes a sort of cost-benefit kind of thing, and i think discouraging experimentation is probably the wrong idea for something that is inherently creative. they are extremely similar but also not really the same kind of medium, if that makes sense

instead of shooting a bunch of extremely similar scenes, i've found that it helps to just try whatever pops into your head — why not? change it up, and change it up often. you're only limited by storage space, and you can delete obviously bad ones if they don't work and then start over if you run out. not everything is going to work. it might sound ridiculous, but on a "normal" shoot i can easily net hundreds of shots; at the end of the day maybe 15 of them will work, and that is something that simply would not be possible with 24 exposures

basically, yes, it might seem like a lazy crutch, and yes, that means you're going to have to sort through a lot of crap to get whatever is actually good. but i'll take that pain over the disappointment of 24 mediocre-to-bad shots any day, because the odds are with volume at least something will be good, you just gotta find it. don't be discouraged by failures, either. it's a very experimental process

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Achmed Jones posted:

last night i spent some time reading ken rockwell's site. here are my thoughts, more or less in order

sorry for your loss, did you find the bit where he calls nikon war criminals

quote:

1. Get the broad strokes of composition right - perhaps with unfocused eyes - first
2. Do the subtractive thing and frame the shot to only have the stuff you want in it
3. You should end up with a clear and simple presentation of an idea
4. Now you can get the details right to make it a really special, surprising, good photograph
5. It's ok to use photography to show things as you imagine them, or as you want them to be instead of exactly as they are.
Corollary: don't go crazy with the saturation or it looks really bad
6. I should pretend I'm shooting a film camera, and take fewer good pictures - perhaps fiddling with camera settings - rather than taking a lot of similar photos

- actually, taking lots of shots is good, especially on digital, it's cheap, easy, and even studio photographers like 120 photos for a portrait

- in camera corrections are worth learning before post processing, as well, it's easy to clean up a good image than it is to salvage a bad one from garbage. just getting white balance and exposure right goes a long way, things like framing and good composition are things you just have to practice at

quote:

so i think that if i want to get better, i can't keep doing "check out this cool __________" as the primary driver of my photography. so the thing i quote above, i gotta do better than

this is a great way to get started as a beginner, having some novelty to trick you into getting the habit of taking photos, but yeah, it's not a great way to improve

if you've found a camera/lens combo you're happy with, you just gotta take it everywhere and try things out

quote:

to that end, do any of you know any good photography textbooks?

i really liked william mortensen's work but it's often more on darkroom technique

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

last night i spent some time reading ken rockwell's site.

oof

tef posted:

- in camera corrections are worth learning before post processing, as well, it's easy to clean up a good image than it is to salvage a bad one from garbage. just getting white balance and exposure right goes a long way, things like framing and good composition are things you just have to practice at

also doing post processing is a chore and it's real nice when you don't really have to

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not always a chore at all, in fact I often enjoy it, and sometimes when I have free time I go and re-edit old photos with new techniques, or with whatever new trends I am feeling lately

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tef posted:

Hi, I'm Ken Rockwell, You Might Remember Me From Such Camera Reviews as "Leica? I Married Her!" And "Saturation: The Photographer's Best Friend!"

love his reviews of gear he’s never touched

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tef posted:

sorry for your loss, did you find the bit where he calls nikon war criminals

lol what’s his reason for that?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

quote:

Canon was founded in 1934 to sell cheap knock-offs of the new LEICA camera. It was sold with a lens made by Nikon, since Nikon has been making lenses for military applications forever, and Canon had just started in a garage.

Canon started by making consumer products, and branched out into industrial equipment much later.

Nikon had been making military instruments for mass destruction long before World War II. Nikon made bomb sights used to murder innocent Americans in the Japanese terrorist attacks on Pearl Harbor in 1941, as well as huge rangefinders for battleship and field artillery in World War II.

Nikon made no cameras before World War II! After Nikon's warmongering activities were closed-down after World War II, Nikon had to figure out what to do for peaceful purposes for the first time

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

wait til he finds out what eastman kodak was producing at that time

hand grenades and nuclear materials among other things

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also leica literally used jewish slave labor lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Beeftweeter posted:

wait til he finds out what eastman kodak was producing at that time

hand grenades and nuclear materials among other things

i still can't get over kodak eastman using the 13 month calendar on a whim

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

tef posted:

i still can't get over kodak eastman using the 13 month calendar on a whim

the whole thing is incredibly disingenuous. almost no company surviving since then came out with their hands completely clean, particularly not leica (yeah they say they helped jews while also benefiting from literal slavery and producing optical equipment for Actual, Literal Nazis. many sides?)

if these companies were still committing ostensible war crimes today i'd say it's a fair point to not want to use them, but if you're going to go by what they did during world war ii you'd need to excise an absolute fuckton of stuff from modern life

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ken rockwell is someone who is very good at seo but i wouldn't take his advice for photography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i find it pretty difficult to take textual advice for a visual medium anyway. yes, a lot of the principles behind what makes a picture good can be expressed mathematically, but there isn't like, a flowchart of instructions you can follow and arrive at a good result all the time, every time. i feel like it's working backwards to find an explanation

what helps to me is viewing other photos (or paintings actually are surprisingly helpful since the concepts translate) and then introspectively considering what it is you think is appealing to you. the artist's explanation of process is not always going to be good, either: they may have some other consideration in mind or could simply be not good at elaborating upon it anyway

of course, there might be some elements there that you can dispense with, some you want to adopt, etc. — it's extraordinarily subjective and therefore i think catch-all advice is a non-starter. they can be helpful as tips, but i would absolutely not consider them as rules

basically, do your own thing, imo. when you hit upon success you'll know it. just keep some mental notes for the future