Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

refleks posted:

absolute lomarf at being dependent on a bank as a company and not choosing one of several systemically important banks to ensure you always have the implicit backing of the US government.

idiots.

to be fair to the silicon valley nerds i think a lot of people in charge of the banking system also kind of fail to realize that they are running a very artificial public utility. almost like there is a common theme of libertarian idiocy running through the groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

https://twitter.com/pmarca/status/1634118284827312129?t=eQKEW9Mx12iZUOKNJXmB1w&s=19

:jerkbag:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Why would start ups bank with SVB instead of a normal bank? It seems like loads more risk but what do you get in exchange?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Chalks posted:

Why would start ups bank with SVB instead of a normal bank? It seems like loads more risk but what do you get in exchange?

Less questions asked about the origin of their funding and probably better rates...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so, like, is he actually being self-aware here?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

good question marc

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/spencernoon/status/1634004337226665984

a bank run by the smartest people in the world that funds the companies literally inventing the future* runs into trouble, and all you people can do is point and jeer? for shame, yospos. for shame.

* i.e., fart apps

imagine defending a loving bank on social media

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I don't think I'd credit him with that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the problem is that theres a buncha peeps who coordinate between startups and are huge fuckin idiots (the vcs). so the rumor that starts the run prolly started there

this was inevitable though, wasn’t it? you said it yourself when the fed started raising rates. suddenly the expected value curve inverts from WE’RE ALL GONNA BE RICH to :supaburn:

it was only a matter of time until the dominoes started to fall

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lemme just add as someone who left their previous boring af megacorp job for a small startup that’s making real revenue but still isn’t profitable: 😬

hope we’re not banking with SVB!!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

by elites he means poor people with liberal arts academic titles. some stemlords will always feel inferior

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

no, and for proof, look at his own tweet he quoted, see the term "catastrophic values" and take a wild guess at what he might be referring to

it's not, like, "valuing money over all" or anything, i'll tell you that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i have a confession guys. the present craziness is my fault, specifically

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ruffian Price posted:

by elites he means poor people with liberal arts academic titles. some stemlords will always feel inferior

he's another dot com 1.0 lottery winner and i'm sure at some level he's aware of it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

you jerk

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted:

fart simpson you rat, how could you give your own puter touchers the ol' spicy bubble pop, fart

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
“The money's not here. Your money's in Zuck’s metaverse...right next to Decentraland. And in the Dogechain, and in Lime scooters, and a hundred others. Why, you're lending them the money to ~Build~ 💪, and then they're going to pay it back to you as best they can.” - George_Bailey.eth

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh cool twitter now flags accounts so you know to ignore their opinions that's useful

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

in before someone says "why are you following dominic cummings?": it's because he's a good aggregator for this bullshit as well as (or because of?) being nuts and thinking he's some galaxy brain "solve all the problems if people would just listen" guy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

no, and for proof, look at his own tweet he quoted, see the term "catastrophic values" and take a wild guess at what he might be referring to

it's not, like, "valuing money over all" or anything, i'll tell you that

is it that minorities have basic human rights, is that the values

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Shame Boy posted:

:thunkher:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Nybble posted:

“The money's not here. Your money's in Zuck’s metaverse...right next to Decentraland. And in the Dogechain, and in Lime scooters, and a hundred others. Why, you're lending them the money to ~Build~ 💪, and then they're going to pay it back to you as best they can.” - George_Bailey.eth

in this version, george goes to see a vision of a future where he never existed and he is stricken in horror at the peace, prosperity and equality

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

undoubtedly some of them at least, yes

the eggman there has a history of associating with reactionary dipshits, vague posts about problematic values are only going to mean one thing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
holy
loving
and this cannot be over emphasized
lmao

https://twitter.com/michaelmofina/status/1630227640341651456

if only I had my phone on me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

holy
loving
and this cannot be over emphasized
lmao

https://twitter.com/michaelmofina/status/1630227640341651456

if only I had my phone on me

lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

this time projectors will work!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
gee i wonder why they only show that used on overcast days and at night

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Internet Janitor posted:

gee i wonder why they only show that used on overcast days and at night
okay daytimer

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

even their idealistic mockups are giving me motion sickness...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this was inevitable though, wasn’t it? you said it yourself when the fed started raising rates. suddenly the expected value curve inverts from WE’RE ALL GONNA BE RICH to :supaburn:

it was only a matter of time until the dominoes started to fall

having a lotta tinder vs actually lighting the match

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

silicon valley receivership

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
250k insured. prolly lotta peeps putting their whole lump of seed or series a or b investment in there, which is decidedly not 250k

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

huh, it's almost like making borrowing money basically free for over a decade was a bad idea. it did make a handful of extremely lovely people unimaginably wealthy though so who's to say?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/BrendanPedersen/status/1634236377066881024

lol. lmao, even

e: added lomarf:

https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1634039856924860416

FMguru fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 10, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is it possible there was more to it than just "oops, we continued to take deposits without ramping up debt sales for the last 2 years?"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

top notch lols.

the FDIC also took receivership directly without announcing that another bank would be assuming the deposits of the failed bank. they really don't like to do that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

not waiting this cob on friday is lol

even during the 2008 crisis they usually were able to wait until the weekend to try to square as much away while the markets were closed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/thestalwart/status/1634232851099967488?s=46&t=R0J6gZ9IVIuVqJ6bAd5VsQ

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

qirex posted:

is it possible there was more to it than just "oops, we continued to take deposits without ramping up debt sales for the last 2 years?"

crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

i like jim cramer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJe86RQq8lQ