Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"how big of a deal could it be, insurance covers $250k per account..."

https://twitter.com/fedguy12/status/1634038788468113408

"Oh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, startup financing rounds are more like a million or ten, lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

guy who made billions of dollars funding internet and social media companies: was this damage done from the bottom up

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
so how many startups are gonna go under because of this?

is this the beginning of the bubble popping?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

so how many startups are gonna go under because of this?

is this the beginning of the bubble popping?

the bubble has been popping for a while now lol

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
rip svb

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
equities markets are pricing in a solid chance of rip charles schwab, rip boa, rip wells fargo, also

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

equities markets are pricing in a solid chance of rip charles schwab, rip boa, rip wells fargo, also

arent they much better equipped to handle something like this due to post-GFC capital requirements on big banks?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ever heard of too big to fail

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rip bofa

bofa these tech bubbles

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

arent they much better equipped to handle something like this due to post-GFC capital requirements on big banks?

all regulations are fundamentally temporary with respect to banks, thats the nature of banking

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

WATCH BIDEN START A loving BAILOUT

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the large banks have a much much broader customer base and reserve base than SVB did and should be fine.

small specialty banks that got fattened up during Covid could be in for a world of hurt though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
right? but theres always some fuckin stupid thing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1634263511600619520?s=20

:eyepop:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i'm a rube but uh doesn't these companies money still exist? it's just gaining less interest than optimal?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

i'm a rube but uh doesn't these companies money still exist? it's just gaining less interest than optimal?

depends if svb burned it all on bad investments or not

they burned a large enough chunk to be taken down so we shall see

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

does the fdic cap of 250k apply to corporate accounts too?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KidDynamite posted:

thats not how fractional reserve banking works

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

yes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

:pwn:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

post hole digger posted:

yeah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol drat you guys fast

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

thats not how fractional reserve banking works

seems like a bad system op.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a bad system for randos but still the best system for its actual purpose, which is financing war and nation stuff

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just like i said. svb is too big to fail

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/revhowardarson/status/1634259130293825536

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

well I guess it had been a while since I've been nervous around payroll time

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
ive seen more than one person draw a straight line from the adderall shortage to the current tech bubbel implosion

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a lot of the limited partner demand collapse is from treasuries yielding nonzero money, too

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the adderall shortage and its consequences have been a disaster for silicon valley.

edit: efb

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FMguru posted:

ive seen more than one person draw a straight line from the adderall shortage to the current tech bubbel implosion

Really coming around on this.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

how long has the adderall shortage been happening? the tech bubble top was november 2021.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

post hole digger posted:

how long has the adderall shortage been happening? the tech bubble top was november 2021.

its been ongoing for maybe a year, but it got really bad around 4-5 months ago, at least here

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i'm just trying to make sure im understanding this right: the thing that hosed SVB was that they put $80 billion in mortgage backed securities yielding 1.5%, and got bit because rates went up, they were stuck with these lackluster assets, wanted to give themselves some breathing room so they sold them off at a loss, and selling them at a loss spooked investors which triggered the sell-off and subsequent bank run?

it was mortgage backed securities??

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i don’t buy it. none of you tech guys are doing anything real anyway, it’s the fed and rates and crap

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Video Nasty posted:

WATCH BIDEN START A loving BAILOUT

joe's just trying to help out some poor down on their luck salt of the earth blue-collar bankers, jack

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was treasuries and some mortgage backed securities yeah

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its the eternal quest to make a risk free thing that yields something. everyone refers to treasuries as a risk free thing because the government will always pay their debts but in this case, even as the government continues to pay all its debts, fuckin differential interest rate risk hosed the bankers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

guy who posts in yospos 9 hours per day: my productivity going down killed the economy