Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

yeah SVB took deposits and bought 10 year treasury bonds and MBSes with them. when they bought those bonds were yielding about 1.5-1.7%.

since right now you can buy a bond yielding 3.7% SVB has to offer a significant discount in order to convince someone to buy their bond which yields 1.7% for 9 years instead of a new bond that yields ~4% for 10 years.

SVB could have theoretically held the bonds to maturity without an issue, if it weren't for the pesky problem of depositors wanting access to their money now due to the money hose drying up. after people noticed that this was a problem and started to move money out SVB scrambled and tried to hold a fire sale at even steeper discounts to sell stuff ASAP and "reassure" everyone that they had plenty of money to cover deposits but those sales didn't go great and all that did was cause even more people to demand their money right loving now. pretty much a textbook bank run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah SVB took deposits and bought 10 year treasury bonds and MBSes with them. when they bought those bonds were yielding about 1.5-1.7%.

since right now you can buy a bond yielding 3.7% SVB has to offer a significant discount in order to convince someone to buy their bond which yields 1.7% for 9 years instead of a new bond that yields ~4% for 10 years.

SVB could have theoretically held the bonds to maturity without an issue, if it weren't for the pesky problem of depositors wanting access to their money now due to the money hose drying up. after people noticed that this was a problem and started to move money out SVB scrambled and tried to hold a fire sale at even steeper discounts to sell stuff ASAP and "reassure" everyone that they had plenty of money to cover deposits but those sales didn't go great and all that did was cause even more people to demand their money right loving now. pretty much a textbook bank run.

lol, lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

guy who posts in yospos 9 hours per day: my productivity going down killed the economy

look it was already 99% down but if it loses that last 1% everything will fall apart ok

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk i really want to think that there's no political will to bail out silicon valley whiz kids but time will tell i guess

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rotor posted:

idk i really want to think that there's no political will to bail out silicon valley whiz kids but time will tell i guess

dem wunderkid eric swallwell already is on the tweets about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

dem wunderkid eric swallwell already is on the tweets about it

well i mean yeah of course he would be but he cant do it on his own

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rotor posted:

inshallah

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

really need to emphasize that the FDIC closing a bank in the middle of the day is a last-ditch move, especially mid-day on a Friday. they prefer to do it after close of business on Friday so they have the entire weekend to arrange for the transition to go smoothly and avoid situations like payroll not clearing.

also the FDIC directly taking receivership of a bank is an absolute last-ditch move, they much prefer to have another bank take over the deposits in return for more market share, free money, and help unwinding the mess.

both of those two things happening means that SVB wasn't going to make it to the end of the day and the FDIC had to grab the falling knife.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

the biggest lmao for me so far is they bought all the MBSes in 2021, instruments that are known to be very sensitive to the nominal rate from The Fed, when everyone could see the writing on the wall for low interest rates. Bought high, forced to sell low.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if the fdic gets called at all its always a last ditch move. they just are the last ditch

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The fun part is guessing how the contagion spreads from here

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Nybble posted:

The fun part is guessing how the contagion spreads from here

I doubt it spreads to many other banks. SVB had a unique client base that basically meme'd its own money to death through a social media panic

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

right? but theres always some fuckin stupid thing

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

pmchem posted:

I doubt it spreads to many other banks. SVB had a unique client base that basically meme'd its own money to death through a social media panic

anecdotally its loving with a bunch of payroll and payment processors which will cause them to lean on their other banks which is one vector this could take

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

this feels like that bank in particular made some really bad bets around interest rates and withdrawal rates that don't reflect on the health of banks in general - if anything higher rate spreads should be more profitable

but in the meantime i imagine a bunch of small/med companies using them for payroll accounts or whatever are stuck in the lurch until things get unwound. even if it only ended up being a 10% haircut on uninsured deposits in the end, they might be in for some real bullshit through no real fault of their own in the meantime

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/SVB_Financial/status/1632818336391213059

:toot:

:woop:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1634277243487768579

sickos.jp2

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

pmchem posted:

I had this exact thought a few days ago with silvergate, a much more lol bank with an even more niche clientele

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
at least silvergate "voluntarily" liquidated itself. video pony is right, usually they'd at least wait until the end of the day/COB today to do something like this

it must be pretty bad lol

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

HolHorsejob posted:

I had this exact thought a few days ago with silvergate, a much more lol bank with an even more niche clientele

silvergate was criminal, svb is just a bank run

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/garrytan/status/1634286688922132481

all those fart-app-as-a-subscription-service startups...ruined...

:negative:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol good job finding an old tweet that looks bad in retrospect, that must have been posted months or years ago I bet. now let me just comically slide my eyes down to the post date and...

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

lol good job finding an old tweet that looks bad in retrospect, that must have been posted months or years ago I bet. now let me just comically slide my eyes down to the post date and...

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/garrytan/status/1634286688922132481

all those fart-app-as-a-subscription-service startups...ruined...

:negative:

innovation of what exactly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

post hole digger posted:

scams and scam accessories (subscription scams)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

post hole digger posted:

self driving cars that seek out and murder children?
proceduraly generated ugly pictures of monkeys?
a new type of money that is inferior to current existing kinds of money in every way?

you know - the future

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

forbe

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im contacting my congressperson to tell them not to bail out SVB not because i have any nuanced opinions about it but simply because i am a hater.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepRoKhanna/status/1634179619195633666

ro!!!!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

FMguru posted:

self driving cars that seek out and murder children?
proceduraly generated ugly pictures of monkeys?
a new type of money that is inferior to current existing kinds of money in every way?

you know - the future

steamed scams

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026186

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i'm gonna be real mad if Startup Bank gets a complete bailout

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dont think SVB even did anything wrong, really, except communicate poorly with their clients. i am an inveterate hater.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

post hole digger posted:

i dont think SVB even did anything wrong, really, except communicate poorly with their clients. i am an inveterate hater.

I think uh SVB also very much cultivated a certain client base

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

post hole digger posted:

they seem to have been exceptionally bad at managing deposits, so it was run by idiots loaning to other idiots

let it fail

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ah, matt levine thinks the bank contagion is gonna be other businesses looking at uninsured portions of their business account deposits at other banks (which are actually fuckin huge, outside of svb itself) and running and withdrawing poo poo to get it insured. which is deffo some fuckin thing that would happen

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

they seem to have been exceptionally bad at managing deposits, so it was run by idiots loaning to other idiots

let it fail

gonna be a whole lotta treasury departments working late tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats why boa shares ate poo poo, cuz boa actually only has like 30, 40% of business deposits under the insurance limit, iirc. so thats the next domino if theres a domino.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 10, 2023