Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1634330899171901440

even better, in this case if you go to full tweet and read the part cut off by SA preview, it was Silicon Valley Bank themselves that lobbied hard for the regulatory rollback to let them be stupid and ultimately cause all this

ahahahahaha

I know a bunch of people involved in stress testing models and they're going to love this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
https://twitter.com/VCBrags/status/1634236559795863569

:discourse:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tech?

bubble :hmmyes:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

man its fuckin friday night what do you think

its 4 pm grandpa

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what am i looking at

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

post hole digger posted:

its 4 pm grandpa

turn those machines back on

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

TDepressionEarl posted:

my don't worry about the bank run shirt has people asking a lot of questions resolved by heeding the kindly advice printed on my shirt

if your banker is wearing a shirt with text on it its already too late.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

post hole digger posted:

if your banker is wearing a shirt with text on it its already too late.

if it were a TGI Friday pin-on button the reference wouldn't parse

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they do a whole lotta nothing for a decade or two and then everything goes to poo poo. then another decade or two of nothing. just like any other highly correlated insurance job, like hurricane or earthquake insurance

however you feel about lenin, you gotta hand it to him for "there are decades when nothing happens and weeks when decades happen."

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

post hole digger posted:

its 4 pm grandpa

banned

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

the words DON'T PANIC inscribed in large friendly letters on the 3-fold pamphlet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats why boa shares ate poo poo, cuz boa actually only has like 30, 40% of business deposits under the insurance limit, iirc. so thats the next domino if theres a domino.

a bank of america branch manager looked me in the eye and said "your credit card hasn't arrived for nine weeks because the factory ran out of plastic for it" with a straight face

i hope they fail and everybody that hitched their horse to them goes down with em.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmfao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
https://twitter.com/ne0scythian/status/1634312660639535106

:discourse:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1634330899171901440

even better, in this case if you go to full tweet and read the part cut off by SA preview, it was Silicon Valley Bank themselves that lobbied hard for the regulatory rollback to let them be stupid and ultimately cause all this

this is very funny

so is this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm glad everyone is collectively clowning david sacks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

david sucks

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

am I supposed to know who that is

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
on the one hand bdid is panicking which is kind of a bad sign but on the other hand this is all billionaire money (because startups are capitalized by billionaires and if those startups eat poo poo then their progenitor billionaires eat poo poo) and it is an iron clad law of american capitalism that billionaires are never allowed to suffer any significant losses ever, especially as a class

w/e it's friday night m'ferrrrrrs

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

BMan posted:

i mean not really but

quote:

David Oliver Sacks (born 25 May 1972)[1] is an entrepreneur, author, and investor in internet technology firms. He is general partner of Craft Ventures, a venture capital fund he co-founded in late 2017. Previously, Sacks was the founding COO and product leader of PayPal

he's one of those fuckers. paypal mafia never not gonna "why are we not guaranteed returns on our capital" in bay area tech vc discourse poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

BMan posted:

he's part of elon's brain trust at twitter along with jason "jump on a grande" calacanis

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
man i could jump on a grande right now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/rbranson/status/1634271668205146112

gotta keep the innovation flowing. bailouts now!!!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

https://twitter.com/rbranson/status/1634271668205146112

gotta keep the innovation flowing. bailouts now!!!

i read the thread for context and get why its there but thats the most bay area rear end thing ive ever seen lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol && lmao, y'all

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i was kind of hoping it was going to be because of collateral they had on loans from that startup that let you invest in expensive wines

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

post hole digger posted:

i was kind of hoping it was going to be because of collateral they had on loans from that startup that let you invest in expensive wines

i think they literally just bought a poo poo ton of fancy wine

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

that's a lot of bottles of château lafite

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

napa valley bank

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

i think they literally just bought a poo poo ton of fancy wine

nah, check their 10-K:
https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0000719739/f36fc4d7-9459-41d7-9e3d-2c468971b386.pdf

"Premium Wine
We are one of the leading providers of financial services to premium wine producers across the western United States, primarily in California’s Napa Valley,
Sonoma County and Central Coast regions, as well as the Pacific Northwest. We focus on vineyards and wineries that produce grapes and premium wines."

"Wineries and vineyards. In addition, we lend to premium wineries and vineyards through SVB's Wine Division, a component of SVB Private. Repayment of
loans made to these clients may be dependent on overall wine demand and sales, or other sources of financing or income which may be adversely affected by a
challenging economic environment, as well as the value of underlying real estate and non-real estate collateral, overall grape supply and income from tourism
which may be adversely affected by climate change, poor weather, heavy rains, flooding, droughts, fires, wildfires, earthquakes, pandemics or other natural or
catastrophic conditions."

"Premium Wine (class) – Loans to wine producers, vineyards and wine industry or hospitality businesses across the Western United States. A large
portion of these loans are secured by real estate collateral such as vineyards and wineries."

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

here's to hoping the pelosis had their vineyard account uninsured w/ svb

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
invest in wine something something liquidity problem

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pmchem posted:

nah, check their 10-K:
https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0000719739/f36fc4d7-9459-41d7-9e3d-2c468971b386.pdf

"Premium Wine
We are one of the leading providers of financial services to premium wine producers across the western United States, primarily in California’s Napa Valley,
Sonoma County and Central Coast regions, as well as the Pacific Northwest. We focus on vineyards and wineries that produce grapes and premium wines."

"Wineries and vineyards. In addition, we lend to premium wineries and vineyards through SVB's Wine Division, a component of SVB Private. Repayment of
loans made to these clients may be dependent on overall wine demand and sales, or other sources of financing or income which may be adversely affected by a
challenging economic environment, as well as the value of underlying real estate and non-real estate collateral, overall grape supply and income from tourism
which may be adversely affected by climate change, poor weather, heavy rains, flooding, droughts, fires, wildfires, earthquakes, pandemics or other natural or
catastrophic conditions."

"Premium Wine (class) – Loans to wine producers, vineyards and wine industry or hospitality businesses across the Western United States. A large
portion of these loans are secured by real estate collateral such as vineyards and wineries."

hmm i see

good thing climate change, wildfires, poor weather, heavy rains, or snowstorms haven't been happening in california

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it adds character to the wines

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

the big one is due any second now, i hope you like earthquake carbonated sparkling

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

mortgage backed securities on the san andreas fault

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i see a prime opportunity for millions of acres of new beachfront property

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just like world war 2, some catastrophic event ruining most of the wine just makes the small surviving amount more valuable

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SXSW Interactive kicked of right as this whole thing was happening. The mood is...complicated.

https://twitter.com/vc/status/1634027714423267328?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

invest in wine something something liquidity problem

ah, a 2023...

not a particularly good year, i'm afraid