Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kirk posted:

lol I just founded a startup I’m going to die irl

ah man I was looking forward to the product launch party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

more like polygone.com

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

god I’m so glad the product I work on has a 55% margin and we’re owned by a boring east coast company who uses normal banks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/bvaughan71/status/1634314885411622914?s=61&t=6FR0zjGNxQmkl5MtzAIFEg

quote:

Being at #SXSW during the #SVB meltdown is like being on vacation in Buenos Aires when Argentina won the World Cup, except the precise opposite in every way

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lol at all the tech bros being at sxsw

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
tech bubble v5.1: premium silicon valley whine

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

kliras posted:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

kitten emergency posted:

no libertarians in a bank run huh

lol yeah

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

qirex posted:

god I’m so glad the product I work on has a 55% margin and we’re owned by a boring east coast company who uses normal banks

same but midwest

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1634600754848702465

i somehow missed thiel started all this, stanford bros stay winning

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

kliras posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
stanford should be destroyed

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/liquidiodine/status/1634609853648830467

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

theres a lot of handwringing right now and its very funny to watch these vc "people" squirm, but it seems most likely to me that the banks balance sheet will be sold and most of depositors will be made whole one way or another.

i should go people watch on university ave today though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1634600754848702465

i somehow missed thiel started all this, stanford bros stay winning
I hadn't heard how it started and all I can say is lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

theres a lot of handwringing right now and its very funny to watch these vc "people" squirm, but it seems most likely to me that the banks balance sheet will be sold and most of depositors will be made whole one way or another.

im seeing guesses of 10 to 40% haircut on uninsured portion

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this may be thiels "stole from other rich peeps" moment, now that i think about it. theres some litigated free speech carveouts specifically for causing bank runs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

theres an article quoted in this post of mine, but the run had already sort of started by that point (thursday night).

post hole digger posted:

lol petey trying to kick off a bank run

that said,

https://twitter.com/chrismohney/status/1634572163863683075

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
that most heinous of crimes, theft of money (from rich people)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this may be thiels "stole from other rich peeps" moment, now that i think about it. theres some litigated free speech carveouts specifically for causing bank runs

:allears:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that said, the standard is knowing or reckless falsehood, which is kinda a gently caress if the speech act causes itself to be true like calling runs at a bank is. really twisty you'd have to get to get around that

thiels statement was definitely true, even if the mere statement of it made itself a self fulfilling prophecy. its not like in britain where you can get sued for true poo poo sometimes

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 11, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

free speech doesnt protect you from shouting FIRE sector in a crowded bank

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

that said, the standard is knowing or reckless falsehood, which is kinda a gently caress if the speech act causes itself to be true like calling runs at a bank is. really twisty you'd have to get to get around that

thiels statement was definitely true. its not like in britain where you can get sued for true poo poo sometimes

how about you stanford folks share the wealth so i can also make money off the suffering of others

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wait, doesnt svb have a subsidiary in britain that was materially harmed by this poo poo but is still solvent?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
back in my day we just jacked 100M of bearer bonds from a vault in nakatomi plaza

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

post hole digger posted:

the problem is companies needing the money now, not 'you'll get it eventually'

i'm guessing there's a lot of short term loans and calls to investors being made this weekend

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the problem is companies needing the money now, not 'you'll get it eventually'

i'm guessing there's a lot of short term loans and calls to investors being made this weekend

good point

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i start a new job at a startup on monday. the corporate card they've already issued me is from svb. thoughts and prayers pls

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah there are already tons of stories of companies losing all their cash overnight and wondering if they'll be able to make salary payments in the near future

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

despite what anyone thinks of Peter Thiel's politics, he's a very good investor. and pulling the money before anyone else was the correct move. and if his portfolio companies also got their money out, then that was good advice to them

"be first, be smarter, or cheat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdsngo0inA0

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

holy poo poo it's cremnob

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

speaking of margin call i just had to have this conversation with one of the younger guys at my last job who got the axe a few months after i left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f2kGHcdJYU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

jesus that place is more expensive than peter luger

there was one by my old office and they never would let us do team lunch there

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

post hole digger posted:

the impossible burger thing just sounds like a vegan salisbury steak. i dont want it but i get it.

vegans I will never get

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

he's richer than them so it's still okay for him to do.

also

PIZZA.BAT posted: