Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wait, doesnt svb have a subsidiary in britain that was materially harmed by this poo poo but is still solvent?

yes. no

https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1634595886352195588

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
third domino baybee

regional western banks next? or charles schwab?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
cspam says ally bank is probably in trouble but i haven't seen an elaboration as to why

still, i can't imagine most people impacted by that would have deposits exceeding $250k

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

raminasi posted:

i start a new job at a startup on monday. the corporate card they've already issued me is from svb. thoughts and prayers pls

im curious about this one actually. are companies who just have a credit line open with the bank any safer than companies that actually had money with them?

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

thiels statement was definitely true, even if the mere statement of it made itself a self fulfilling prophecy. its not like in britain where you can get sued for true poo poo sometimes

Peter Thiel didn't make this dogshit greed factory overextend itself with risky assets tied to interest rate which have been on a rocket ship to the moon for over a year straight

we've got teams of monkeys poring over client books to see who's got similar exposure and even slightly shaky solvency rep atm because this is PROBABLY just getting started although I really hope not

thankfully as head of AML my rear end is clear but I know someone upstairs is gonna tilt right around 2am tonight and demand they see a full tape of say JP Morgan's money laundering sheets in a coke panic; I've been printing it since 6am as well as State Street, Pimco and the rest of the big 50 and I just wish I had started yesterday so I could just hand it all over and go DND until end of Monday's emergency fed mtg

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
treasuries are the least risky assets there are...

or so thats the thought they had anyways, lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Internaut! posted:

thankfully as head of AML my rear end is clear

that tends to happen eventually when you have uncontrollable diarrhea

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

treasuries are the least risky assets there are...

or so thats the thought they had anyways, lol

i don't think it's necessarily that they're risky assets, they just bought them in an unbelievably stupid way and did nothing to mitigate when interest rates went up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, im already seeing peeps thinking all over the place that they invested in startups. nah, they invested in 10 year treasuries at the wrong time, so theres plenty of contagion possibility

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i mean, it's not like they're completely worthless, they can literally just wait it out and come out more than whole

the thing that's stupid is going all-in on them

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, it's not like they're completely worthless, they can literally just wait it out and come out more than whole

the thing that's stupid is going all-in on them

are you posting from the past wednesday

the second run has already happened. and the third. now what

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Beeftweeter posted:

i don't think it's necessarily that they're risky assets, they just bought them in an unbelievably stupid way and did nothing to mitigate when interest rates went up

it has really brought into focus that when people say that an asset is "risky" it's usually not interpreted to mean interest rate risk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought their mistake was they sold the treasuries early at a very bad time to do that and in doing so locked in losses. because they needed the cash to cover the actual bad bet they had made

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
When did they sell those ? They might not have had a choice, it seems Circle withdrew a whopping 5.4b last week. Crypto may have started the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/jerallaire/status/1634650306234515460

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Beeftweeter posted:

cspam says ally bank is probably in trouble but i haven't seen an elaboration as to why

still, i can't imagine most people impacted by that would have deposits exceeding $250k

theyre a subprime auto lender or something apparently

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

are you posting from the past wednesday

the second run has already happened. and the third. now what

like i said, it's monumentally stupid that they didn't diversify. this was completely predictable, petey boy just (apparently) set it in motion

and as much as i hate to admit it cremnob was right. so was thiel

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it is possible to hate both the player and the game sometimes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

anime was right posted:

theyre a subprime auto lender or something apparently

they used to be GMAC, so lol if they didn't learn their lesson either

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

raminasi posted:

it has really brought into focus that when people say that an asset is "risky" it's usually not interpreted to mean interest rate risk

had a lot of back-and-forth on this in another thread 2 years ago, right around when SVB and Schwab were gorging on long bonds:

pmchem posted:

I realize bonds are generally viewed as more conservative than stocks and that this discussion is for a long-term horizon, but, just going with conventional wisdom of "bonds aren't risky" is REALLY not a great idea sometimes, like say in an inflationary environment after long bond yields plummeted to near zero.

people just could not conceive of a world where rates continued to go up significantly for a long period of time, but i'm a bit flabbergasted that actual pro bankers made the same errors

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kafouille posted:

When did they sell those ? They might not have had a choice, it seems Circle withdrew a whopping 5.4b last week. Crypto may have started the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/jerallaire/status/1634650306234515460

it's possible i guess, but with their balance sheet $5.4 billion wouldn't have been enough to blow a hole in the whole thing. it's the cascading bank run that happened after that really hosed them over

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The whole balance sheet yeah, but according to their 2022 balance sheet they had around 9b in available cash.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it being thiel, i would just assume he said it because someone from svb parked in his parking space

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://fedified.com/@DataDrivenMD/110002695457648699

quote:

Turns out #SVB's CEO was one of the guys whispering in the Fed's ear to manufacture a recession— and cost tech workers their jobs. Now, he's out as one of the executives at the San Francisco Fed Board.

Further in thread

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 11, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/danprimack/status/1634659865355321349

gotta make everyone executives whole

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

LMAO

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh come on

a bad banker named gentile? these writers are terrible

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lmao @ cremnob out here wellackchuallying for peter fuckin thiel

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

pmchem posted:

had a lot of back-and-forth on this in another thread 2 years ago, right around when SVB and Schwab were gorging on long bonds:

people just could not conceive of a world where rates continued to go up significantly for a long period of time, but i'm a bit flabbergasted that actual pro bankers made the same errors

they didn't make an error, they just (probably correctly) assumed they wouldn't have to deal with any downsides of making the decision

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

interesting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

lmao @ cremnob out here wellackchuallying for peter fuckin thiel

everyone is actually their avatar, right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not really sure who cremob is though. did they used to post here?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

not really sure who cremob is though. did they used to post here?

mostly in the apple threads, yes, but also about marissa mayer

rotor would probe him every time wwdc rolled around, it was one of the funniest 'pos running jokes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Beeftweeter posted:

mostly in the apple threads, yes, but also about marissa mayer

rotor would probe him every time wwdc rolled around, it was one of the funniest 'pos running jokes

whoooosh

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
my bank is not owned! my bank is not not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a cremob

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:negative:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i appreciated it, i genuinely didn't know who they were

simping for thiel puts them pretty deep on my shitlist immediately tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you should have seen their apple thread posts

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
lmao explaining that actually Peter thiel is very smart and then ending the post with a kevin spacey clip. he’s still got it folks!

mystes
May 31, 2006

git apologist posted:

i appreciated it, i genuinely didn't know who they were
Same but I've never read the apple thread so I guess that explains why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they got a 100k hour probe back in 2016, which was apparently rescinded at some point