Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

LividLiquid posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody in the history of acting has ever been too busy to do voice over work.

You don't even have to leave your house anymore. This was something else.

IIRC part of the reason that Keith's role in Voltron Legendary Defender got massively reduced for a season or so was because at the time of recording his VA was too busy with The Walking Dead. It can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Revolution update from a recent livestream:

-It's only five episodes.

-It's a very He-Man vs Skeletor focused story, He-Man is in half of episode one, all of two, 95% of three, mostly Adam in four, He-Man in five

- If Revolution does well, there will be more. They know where they want to go with the next chapter.

-They've heard the fan criticisms of Revelation, but they still want to 'surprise' the audience

-Don't expect She-Ra.

-Voice cast announcements in May

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Revolution update from a recent livestream:

-It's only five episodes.

-It's a very He-Man vs Skeletor focused story, He-Man is in half of episode one, all of two, 95% of three, mostly Adam in four, He-Man in five

- If Revolution does well, there will be more. They know where they want to go with the next chapter.

-They've heard the fan criticisms of Revelation, but they still want to 'surprise' the audience

-Don't expect She-Ra.

-Voice cast announcements in May

The five episodes part is the only disappointing part. I was hoping for another 10 episode season.

Also it looks like the CG He-Man show is finished because Netflix is not working on a Season 4 right now. So I guess it didn't do as well as Revelation did after all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That sucks, I was kind of looking forward to more based on the design notes/sketches we got a little while back

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
That's a shame SMG is not coming back there was definitely a subtext about how screwed over Buffy was.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently Netflix has pulled the plug on the live action movie as well, though Mattel is still shopping around for other buyers:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/masters-of-the-universe-movie-dead-netflix-1235673281/

Huh, first the CG series and now this. Hopefully nothing happens to Revolution at least (though wether it continues after that remains to be seen)

Also I finally started watching the earlier shows after having only seen the various remakes, the animation leaves something to be desired even for the time but the shows themselves aren’t as bad as I originally thought they were as a kid (I still prefer SPoP when it comes to She-Ra though)

New Adventures Skeletor is weird however, he’s got the mannerisms but unlike the various remakes the actor makes no attempt to sound even remotely like the original.

Also while they screwed up the transformation call I do find it interesting that this is the only series where Adam and He-Man have two separate VAs

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 19, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Apparently Netflix has pulled the plug on the live action movie as well, though Mattel is still shopping around for other buyers:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/masters-of-the-universe-movie-dead-netflix-1235673281/

Huh, first the CG series and now this. Hopefully nothing happens to Revolution at least (though wether it continues after that remains to be seen)

Also I finally started watching the earlier shows after having only seen the various remakes, the animation leaves something to be desired even for the time but the shows themselves aren’t as bad as I originally thought they were as a kid (I still prefer SPoP when it comes to She-Ra though)

New Adventures Skeletor is weird however, he’s got the mannerisms but unlike the various remakes the actor makes no attempt to sound even remotely like the original.

Also while they screwed up the transformation call I do find it interesting that this is the only series where Adam and He-Man have two separate VAs

Well, the MotU: Revolution Comic Con panel is tomorrow, sans any of the actors originally slated to be there due to the SAG-AFTRA strike, so we'll find out some more details about that at least. From the sound of it, the MotU live action movie was killed because they'd already spent $30 million and hadn't even started pre-production on it somehow.

As for 90s Skeletor, I think he might actually be my favorite take on the character just because he's THAT much of a different take on the character from every other incarnation on Skeletor, in large part to the calm charm of Campbell Lane's voice acting. Everything else about New Adventures is weird and kinda bad though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh I don’t mind New Adventures Skeletor (in fact he’s probably one of the only good things about the show), it’s just odd hearing a completely different kind of voice coming out of his mouth after hearing everyone else besides the live action movie version try to ape Alan Oppenheimer’s performance to varying extents

Also apparently the change in transformation call is explained in a comic but not so much in the show itself (and he does say “Grayskull” when he’s on Eternia in the first episode)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, Hordak’s Revolution design and VA has been revealed:

https://twitter.com/toybroreviews/status/1682173739553701889

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Sweet, it's Goliath from Gargoyles.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

Sweet, it's Goliath from Gargoyles.

ComicCon's own website basically ruined the announcement. They put in the panel description "Kevin Smith (Clerks, Dogma) hosts a roundtable discussion about He-Man and Skeletor’s most epic battle yet with the creators of Revolution featuring executive producers Ted Biaselli and Rob David. Come for the exclusive scenes and stay for a Goliath of a cast announcement" and the second I read that I was like "Oh, Keith David's playing Hordak, okay then. Sweet."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We still don’t have a specific release date for Revolution yet do we?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

We still don’t have a specific release date for Revolution yet do we?

Nothing firm yet. Renewed interest in the show has meant a renewed round of chuds attacking Kevin Smith on Twitter for eternally ruining their already lovely childhoods, and in the replies to various too-online shitheads he's been dropping deets on the progress of things. The show like 95% done being animated and Bear McCreary is currently scoring Episode 3 and he thinks Revolution is now "months" away from being finished, but that doesn't mean anything at this point. Netflix hasn't said anything other than 2024 yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Nothing firm yet. Renewed interest in the show has meant a renewed round of chuds attacking Kevin Smith on Twitter for eternally ruining their already lovely childhoods, and in the replies to various too-online shitheads he's been dropping deets on the progress of things. The show like 95% done being animated and Bear McCreary is currently scoring Episode 3 and he thinks Revolution is now "months" away from being finished, but that doesn't mean anything at this point. Netflix hasn't said anything other than 2024 yet.

What are they bitching about this time? It’s already been confirmed that He-Man will be front and center for the entirety of Revolution

Also having actually watched the original shows now the complaining is even funnier as the old shows were already pretty “woke” for the time (just with worse animation).

I still think SPoP is superior to the original in pretty much every aspect though (OG Adora is boring and had no logical reason to hide her identity and 80’s Swiftwind’s voice is the stuff of nightmares)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 21, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

What are they bitching about this time? It’s already been confirmed that He-Man will be front and center for the entirety of Revolution

Also having actually watched the original shows now the complaining is even funnier as the old shows were already pretty “woke” for the time (just with worse animation)

They think people hated Revelation so much that it somehow killed the live action Netflix He-Man movie and are blaming Kevin Smith for it even though Smith had nothing to do with that version and it was already $30 million over budget and they hadn't even filmed a single scene yet when Netflix spiked it AND it probably has more to do with Mattel seeing dollar signs in advance of Greta Gerwig's Barbie movie that's about to drop this weekend. Because they've said that He-Man is basically their male Barbie brand so they want to shop it to a studio that has a little better financial, effects, distribution, and live action production pedigree than Netflix does.

Mattel's cool with keeping the animated stuff in Netflix's hands for now and Smith has repeatedly said if Revolution does as well as Revelation did, which there's no reason it wouldn't, it's gonna get an easy third season, but for live action they want a studio and a filmmaker who can give them another Barbie. That's it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 21, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm really loving disappointed in Kevin Smith for scabbing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

LividLiquid posted:

I'm really loving disappointed in Kevin Smith for scabbing.

Where are you getting that Kevin Smith is scabbing?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure animation production is a different union realm from the WGA, I'm not sure he's going anything wrong here by going to Comic Con to promote the show and oversee its last legs of production. I know all the voice actors for it had to drop out of the panel because of the SAG-AFTRA strike though.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Someone from the animation guild said they were under a contract from last negotiation that prevents strikes till it expires June next year. The Union got a lot of stuff in return apparently, but yeah.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Also having actually watched the original shows now the complaining is even funnier as the old shows were already pretty “woke” for the time (just with worse animation).

Smith has actually talked about that on his YouTube show, about how all the things people bitched about him doing were basically part of the original show anyway and that a lot of people either seem to have not seen it since they were kids or never seen it at all and just be playing up an imaginary version of the show.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure animation production is a different union realm from the WGA, I'm not sure he's going anything wrong here by going to Comic Con to promote the show and oversee its last legs of production. I know all the voice actors for it had to drop out of the panel because of the SAG-AFTRA strike though.

He's also talked pretty extensively with Marc Bernardin, his co-host, about the writer's strike on the show, since Bernardin is a writer and pickets pretty regularly. Smith has stated he's done some picketing himself when he's in town and while I haven't seen much of the show in a few months, I have to imagine he's still doing it to some degree, and that Berardin would be pretty pissed with Smith if Smith was openly defying the strike while talking about supporting it on their show. He has mentioned doing some writing himself a few weeks ago at least, but from what I vaguely recall of that discussion, he was mentioning that because he self funds his films to a large degree, and because they're usually pretty low budget that there's exceptions for what he's doing. I think it was something along the lines of small, indie productions not being something the AMPTA thinks are worth trying to police since they don't bring in enough money and also a lot of indie projects being by aspiring people the strike would damage the careers of just when they're starting out and/or destroy the livelihoods of because those films are the only income they have and it being such small potatoes to the various organizational bodies. Obviously Smith is neither a young aspiring director or on the breadline, but his movies are usually only a few million dollars, so he fits within those boundaries regardless and can at least do some writing and pre-production. I don't know if he'll actually be filming anything, since he only mentioned writing and again, I'm only half remembering it anyway.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 22, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wittgen posted:

Nobody in the unions are supposed to be promoting poo poo at cons. Animation not having a union means he's probably in the clear with SAG and the WGA, but like, c'mon, man. You're still crossing a picket line. Was Marc there promoting it with him? Because if not, that kinda' says it all. Particularly since he's definitely there to do Fatman Beyond with him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LividLiquid posted:

Nobody in the unions are supposed to be promoting poo poo at cons. Animation not having a union means he's probably in the clear with SAG and the WGA, but like, c'mon, man. You're still crossing a picket line. Was Marc there promoting it with him? Because if not, that kinda' says it all. Particularly since he's definitely there to do Fatman Beyond with him.

You say that, but watching The Marvels trailer linked me to the livestream of the latest Fatman Beyond episode at the con, and when I tuned in Kevin and Marc were talking about the strike, why people are doing it, why Kevin promoted Masters of the Universe: Revolution or whatever he was doing, and at no point did Marc appear sore about it or anything. Hell, they talked about how screwed animation writers are compared to live action writers because of the different union they're in, why they're in that union historically instead of the WGA, how much Marc made writing for Masters of the Universe: Revelation versus how much he makes writing for live action shows (roughly $10,000 for animation versus $40,000 for live action) and so on. The reasons ultimately does boil down to "it's not part of the guild that's striking, so I can promote" but the relative weakness of animation writers to enact any kind of organized pressure given their guild structure and how little they earn relatively seemed to be part of it i.e. he wanted to promote it because the animation and writing staff who don't earn a lot need the show to be out there as the only chance they have of making anything.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tsob posted:

The reasons ultimately does boil down to "it's not part of the guild that's striking, so I can promote"

Don't a lot of people have mandatory promotional appearances stipulated in their contracts? Meaning that, potentially, it's less of an issue of "can" rather than "must".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Don't a lot of people have mandatory promotional appearances stipulated in their contracts? Meaning that, potentially, it's less of an issue of "can" rather than "must".

If the studio is behind said mandatory appearances then if the guild's striking the members aren't allowed to go. If the convention themselves invites somebody, that's apparently okay.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Alright, I'll drop it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, I'd think it's a good question to ask but also that if someone who's very definitely striking is okay with it that it's probably okay even if we don't know all the reasons. Also, apparently Bernardin didn't work on Revolutions so that's probably at least part of why he wasn't on the panel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s a camrip but here’s some Revolution footage from the panel:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tSl1ws5NM0Y

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

tsob posted:

I mean, I'd think it's a good question to ask but also that if someone who's very definitely striking is okay with it that it's probably okay even if we don't know all the reasons. Also, apparently Bernardin didn't work on Revolutions so that's probably at least part of why he wasn't on the panel.

The latest Fatman Beyond show covers a lot of those questions. It's worth a watch in general for a primer on what the strike is about, who is allowed to do what during the strike, and for watching Kev and Marc get uncharacteristically drunk.

To the point of this thread, here's some info about the differences between animation writers and "regular" writers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qum2uMh7mHk&t=2443s

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 25, 2023

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Larryb posted:

It’s a camrip but here’s some Revolution footage from the panel:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tSl1ws5NM0Y

Keith is defiantly channeling Spawn for Hordak.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Larryb posted:

In other news, Hordak’s Revolution design and VA has been revealed:

https://twitter.com/toybroreviews/status/1682173739553701889

bold decision to make Hordak look like older live action Keith David but I approve

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The complete CG series will be out on DVD October 10th:

https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Maste...dvd%2Caps%2C162

Kind of a pity it met with the same fate as the 2002 series (which was also cancelled not long after introducing Hordak and would have reportedly brought in Adora/She-Ra eventually had it continued) but it’s nice to get a physical release at any rate

At this point I’m not holding my breath on the reported live action She-Ra series ever seeing the light of day but time will tell I guess

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 29, 2023

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Somehow the animated movie Nimona looks like it never got mentioned here.

It's based on graphic novels by ND Stevenson, She-Ra POP creator, and it has a lot of the same vibe, along with some prominent LGBTQ+ themes.

Check it out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
We're also getting the MotU: Revolution trailer dropping next Wednesday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2obbnLtKtek

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

gently caress. Yes. Kevin has thankfully not been promoting it on his podcast, or even mentioning it at all, and he wouldn't shut up about it last time, which I appreciated, 'cause his insights into the process were fascinating, so thank you for letting me know about this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

gently caress. Yes. Kevin has thankfully not been promoting it on his podcast, or even mentioning it at all, and he wouldn't shut up about it last time, which I appreciated, 'cause his insights into the process were fascinating, so thank you for letting me know about this.

Yeah, he's bound by WGA and SAG-AFTRA regulations to not talk about it until after the strike is over. I guess he figured he barely got away with it at ComicCon, so he's keeping his mouth shut for now until the strikes are over. I'm still disappointed that he never did commentary videos for the back half of season 1. Though I guess the first five ones just getting pilloried with dislikes and angry dork comments like mad must have scared him off from doing the rest.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The right wing chuds who either never watched the original show, or haven't seen it since they were kids, really dogpiled the poor guy because his He-Man was too woke.

You can really tell it broke his heart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

The right wing chuds who either never watched the original show, or haven't seen it since they were kids, really dogpiled the poor guy because his He-Man was too woke.

You can really tell it broke his heart.

At the same time though, he's been dealing with roving hordes of lovely nerds calling him all sorts of garbage names since loving Clerks, so he's used to this poo poo and makes fun of the response to it all the time. Half of the MotU:R ComicCon panel I saw footage of this year was Smith dunking on those chuds by also dunking on himself.

The good news is that while the chuds rose an unholy stink online the show did really well with normal-brained people that Netflix didn't give a poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

At the same time though, he's been dealing with roving hordes of lovely nerds calling him all sorts of garbage names since loving Clerks, so he's used to this poo poo and makes fun of the response to it all the time. Half of the MotU:R ComicCon panel I saw footage of this year was Smith dunking on those chuds by also dunking on himself.

The good news is that while the chuds rose an unholy stink online the show did really well with normal-brained people that Netflix didn't give a poo poo.

Yeah, like I know Smith has been dealing with weirdo Star Wars fans who take his 'innocent people on the Death Star' thing out of context since basically Clerks hit the screen because they quote Randall talking about it but forget that the bit ends talking to the plumber who explains you should listen to your heart, not your wallet.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, he's very self-deprecating most of the time, but it has to wear on a guy: I've heard a handful of podcasts where there are occasions when it gets too much and he pushes back, and in those rare moments you can tell how much the comments hurt him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He's a really sensitive dude, and I love him for it. The fact that he still takes it hard is a feature, not a bug.