Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i found a messed up dude and was tracking his post history and found this from someone else

mise_en_place 46 days ago | prev [–]

I'm sorry for your situation, but you also have to realize, things are partly your fault. You mention you could be a bouncer at a bar, but you would have to go to the gym to develop enough muscle. And possibly start using chemicals to alter your bone density and muscle mass. In your situation, I'd say you have to go "all in" on something, whatever it is. If you just half rear end it and complain that the world is against you, you will not go anywhere. That's just how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
any posts from these titans of industry lamenting SVB going tits up? I would look myself but I won’t be home for a while

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

namlosh posted:

any posts from these titans of industry lamenting SVB going tits up? I would look myself but I won’t be home for a while

banku_brougham 23 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Its so funny until you realize your seed-round investment in a friends company used SVB.
Gonna be quite a show, this.

idlewords 23 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

That makes it even funnier, though. At least to the rest of us.

loeg 22 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

Not now, Maciej.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hn thread: Not now, Maciej

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ultrafilter posted:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

for some reason this is the most infuriating hn post

i couldn’t help but say “what an idiot” after I read it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

namlosh posted:

surprise! they begged for public money!

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35114009

quote:

We are not asking for a bailout for the bank equity holders or its management; we are asking you to save innovation in the American economy.

the tone of the thread is pretty funny, HN posters telling them to gently caress off got the post flagged.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

csdvrx 11 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

The negative takes bashing capitalism are weird. First, because keys loves summer jobs and pocket money!
Also, it can be fun: I fondly remember my first job! It felt nice to start feeling useful and do valuable things instead of just netflix and games.
I only wish I could have started earlier, as it also gave me the opportunity to learn many interesting things and increase my skillset.
You may want more money, but if you are an adult and already have a job, maybe think about the kids who'd love to get A job and ANY money at all!

the article in question

quote:

Minnesota's bill seeks to allow 16- and 17-year-olds to perform construction work. For Iowa's meatpacking industry, it would be 14- and 15-year-olds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JehovahsWetness posted:

surprise! they begged for public money!

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35114009

the tone of the thread is pretty funny, HN posters telling them to gently caress off got the post flagged.

wow someone should create a startup that automatically puts funds over $250k into other fdic insured accounts

oh https://www.intrafinetworkdeposits.com/about/intrafi-network-overview/

well they were founded in 2002 so don’t count

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
gaterin 0 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Medicare Advantage plans use algorithms to cut off care for seniors in need

The two most inefficient groups in our society are children and retirees. The natural progression is to put the children to work and kill off the retirees.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
liquidating the assets of one billionaire could easily subsidize countless children

and since these captains of industry acquired their wealth through hard work and innate ability, it surely won't take them long to make their next billion from scratch

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

liquidating the assets of one billionaire could easily subsidize countless children

and since these captains of industry acquired their wealth through hard work and innate ability, it surely won't take them long to make their next billion from scratch

but have you considered the risk that they will choose to simply withdraw their brilliance and talents from society if their hard-earned wealth is taken from them by the lazy??

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

GPT-4 is out and HN is having opinions

quote:

Sol- 3 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

With the current progress, human learning seems to be obsolete soon, so there's little point in optimizing an AI for teaching. Unless you mean only as a hobby to pass the time.

quote:

publius_ 4 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

How do you know what a PhD is telling you is truth?

Unlike the PhD, the AI model has benchmark scores on truthfulness. Right now, they're looking pretty good.

quote:

TaylorAlexander 4 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

People don’t lie (“hallucinate”) in the way that LLMs do. If you’re having a friendly chat with a normal person they’re not going to start making up names and references for where they learned some fact they just made up.

quote:

slt2021 3 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Humans hallucinate all the time - first they consume propaganda/conspiracy theory and tell you lies while thinking they are right, and everybody else is wrong

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

They've been trying to abolish compulsory education for a while, haven't they? "Big data autocomplete got slightly better so what reason is there for schools" might be nothing but another excuse

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

why does hn love stories about people getting kicked off stripe/their bank account so much? I'm sure a couple are legit but they always get so worked up about people who are obviously telling only part of the story and actually run some sort of scam

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

people post them because making a fuss on the internet is the only way of getting customer support if you fall through the cracks.

people read them because it kinda feeds into the widespread worry that so much of our lives are in the hands of large companies who don't give a poo poo and can cut you off for any reason or none

also i like reading them because figuring out what they're concealing can be a fun mystery puzzle

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 16, 2023

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

dsfyu404ed 40 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

The problem is that this sort of "our one size fits all, we know better, peasant" thinking is that while it does reduce abuse by employers that constantly put employees in these situations it also fucks good employers and employees who wind up in these situations rarely and by happenstance and for whom just dealing is the all things considered best solution and the more extreme the rules the more of the latter group they hit. Of course one can always make some useless trite quip about how any situation like that could have been prevented had more resources been invested in preventing it ahead of time but at the scale of an entire economy this becomes stupid and a waste of resources as returns diminish.

(context: "South Korea U-turns on 69-hour working week after youth backlash")

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

found a multifaceted rear end in a top hat

midoridensha 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: The emotional toll of caring for research animals

There's plenty of research showing what an ecological disaster dogs are (and other pets too, but dogs are the worst by a large margin for various reasons, including body size). Objectively speaking, if you had to choose between a stranger human and all the dogs on Earth, you'd be doing the planet a big favor by choosing to keep the human alive.
Of course, humans are an ecological disaster too, but a single human out of 8B is a drop in the ocean, and we're not comparing 1 human to 1 dog.
And honestly, I don't see how dogs make anyone's life "easier": they require more care and attention than a toddler, and it never stops until they die. People I know with dogs basically never travel or take any kind of vacation, because they can never leave their dog alone for more than ~8 hours at a time. Any kind of pet is truly a luxury, but dogs require a level of commitment and caretaking well above and beyond almost any other.

midoridensha 11 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Live-caption glasses let deaf people read conversa...

>It’s cruel and ridiculous to suggest all Deaf people should just learn to lip read.
Yet you seem to think everyone is obligated to learn sign language...
>Spanish is easy enough to learn for your trip but ASL is too difficult to learn?
Spanish is NOT "easy enough to learn"; perhaps some basic phrases for tourists, but certainly not fluency. It takes years to master a new language for most people, if ever. Spanish is relatively easier for English speakers than many other languages, such as Japanese, but it's not something you're going to become conversational in quickly unless you're gifted at language learning.
The idea that people are somehow "cruel" and "narrow-minded" for not learning a particular language that isn't the dominant language in their region is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day, and that includes the comments from North Korea supporters here.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

People with dogs never take a vacation. That's why there's no such thing as the backseat of a car or a friend to petsit for you.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

that guy has obviously never had a toddler or a dog

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Jose Valasquez posted:

that guy has obviously never had a toddler or a dog

or a partner, or a life outside of work, or anything to redeem him such that other people would want to be around him for any length of time

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

tracecomplete posted:

People with dogs never take a vacation. That's why there's no such thing as the backseat of a car or a friend to petsit for you.

you think that guy has friends?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

nudgenudgetilt posted:

you think that guy has friends?

no, which is why I deleted my post replying to him. there is a surprising number of weird, somewhere-between-misanthrope-and-protofash (his other comments are a joy) move-to-Japan guys on HN; it's like they saw patio11 and went "that, but without the redeeming qualities"

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 16, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ironically, if pets prevented people from going on vacations that would probably actually mean they were a huge net benefit to the planet (and in some sense saving the life of a human would probably be the worst thing you could do if that person might end up having children in the future)

So maybe that comment is only lame babby level misanthropy

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 16, 2023

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

surgical_fire 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Brazilian researchers find 'terrifying' plastic rocks on remote island

There's some beauty on it. Nature incorporates our garbage, and it becomes part of nature.

It might kill us, but then new creatures will evolve and grow, with plastic being part of their ecosystem, perhaps even desirable. In million years the future civilization of these creatures might have "plastic preservation programs" because the old plastic rocks are a finite resource upon witch their culture was built.

They might even gaze upon their plastic-filled oceans in awe, with some quasi-religious gratitude for the ancient race that gracefully filled the world with plastic that they might thrive.

who's to say if the ecological impact of plastics is good or bad? we will simply never know.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

throwaway67743 27 minutes ago | prev [–]

Only in America! But seriously how is this not child abuse?

paulpauper 4 minutes ago | parent [–]

This is not 1984. It's hard to regulate/control what hundreds of millions of adults are doing to their children. Stories that get media attention of abuse overlook the thousands of incidents in which nothing happens.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

but your honor, what about the billions of people my client didn't kill

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I think I'm gonna stop reading hn until this whole ai craze blows over

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

nvrgrls posted:

I think I'm gonna stop reading hn

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

nvrgrls posted:

I think I'm gonna stop reading

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

nvrgrls posted:

I think I'm gonna stop reading hn until this whole ai craze blows over

no way dude, the sv bank failure threads were so good

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

nvrgrls posted:

I think I'm gonna stop

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

you fool

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the ai threads are just all so boring. i read hn for new and exciting deranged takes not the same old deranged takes every previous thread had.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

nvrgrls posted:

I think I'm gonna stop reading

ah yes, the slashdot gambit

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pile Of Garbage posted:

ah yes, the slashdot gambit

i somehow ended up reading a slashdot thing a couple weeks ago. checked out the comments for old time's sake and it was every bit as bad as i remembered, only with far less participation and a gross slimy chuddy vibe

(on which, some genius there decided to turn off anonymous coward posting altogether instead of just making it impossible to see AC posts downvoted by the circlejerk, so there's even less pushback on the echo chamber)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Are more people posting in slashdot or in the forums these days

ally oop