Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OTOH if you don't want to learn CAD and only want to order one simple part from SendCutSend, just post/PM a drawing (even a hand drawing) and I can make you a solidworks file & a dxf to upload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

StormDrain posted:

Hey strangers or people I know from other threads.

Is anyone familiar with a free or cheap software for creating things to send to SendCutSend? I just have need for one part right now that's beyond what I can fab and have look nice so I'd like to give it a whirl. Simple two dimensional piece, no bends. I need to draw in radiused inside corners, and square cutouts for square shouldered bolts.

I've used CAD in school so anything that allows keyboard inputs to augment the pointer is preferred. This piece is so simple it would take a professional about four minutes with me explaining it for two of those.

OnShape is a good browser-based CAD program, as noted.

Fusion 360 is also very powerful, and it's free under the Maker license (or whatever they're calling it now), though that license has some bizarre restrictions like the number of files you can have open at once.

If you just need to draw 2D vector shapes and don't want a full fledged 3D CAD program, InkScape works pretty well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Thanks yall and thanks for the offer ryanrs! I think I can knock it out myself and drafting is an important part of planning. I quickly scaled up from just one part to a handful of parts that I actually need and I have to think about how they intersect.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I tried to get into freecad a while ago, but the fact that my earlier mentioned style of using CAD wasn't viable in freecad (topological naming problem they call it) made it a non starter. So I'm still stuck with F360 even though it pisses me off.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Oh, so that's why FreeCAD was being weird and fucky. Well, at least one one of the reasons. Between that and the absolutely dreadful UI it's probably time to give Onshape another go, as much as I loathe having everything stored online.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
One CAD tool to keep in mind is Alibre. The personal version is $150 right now ($200 normally) and it is a locally run, perpetual license. Updates are $50/year. No cloud stuff involved.

It uses a fully parametric modeling system that is similar to Solidworks and Fusion360.

I have been using the Expert version for the last decade and it has met my needs for the price. I also use Fusion360 but mostly just for simulation and PCB design.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I keep forgetting that someone in this thread uses it. I bet I could get it expensed for research.

I’m running a class next week for folks converting from PTC Creo…Elements Direct Modeling. No parameters or feature history.

I can kind of grok it having started on Rhino, but this is weird stuff. Anyone here have any hands on time? I’m mostly getting info from YouTube videos folks have made.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Just Winging It posted:

Oh, so that's why FreeCAD was being weird and fucky. Well, at least one one of the reasons. Between that and the absolutely dreadful UI it's probably time to give Onshape another go, as much as I loathe having everything stored online.

I'm really hoping FreeCAD will shape up in a few years since I want something open source and off line that I know have a future. I know there's a fork where the TNP was more or less handled but there's still the dreadful UI as you said. The UI seems to be a common weak point of open source software. I would try OnShape... but I feel I got burned by solidworks changing their licensing so I don't want to invest time in learning a new program. Frankly I hate that part so much that it's 99% of whats keeping me with F360 and I bet I am not alone there, not enough time or motivation to do it. People like what they know and IMO if you are a competitor, try and make your program somewhat similar to the one you hope to take users from.

That's what I would recommend for the freecad people but IIRC they don't like feedback.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

I would try OnShape... but I feel I got burned by solidworks changing their licensing so I don't want to invest time in learning a new program. Frankly I hate that part so much that it's 99% of whats keeping me with F360 and I bet I am not alone there, not enough time or motivation to do it.

My pc is flaking out with probable gpu death issues and I can't use any of the desktop modeling programs I've tried, but onshape seems perfectly stable.

First impressions aren't super favorable, the ui is even less natural than solidworks (hell of a lot better than freecad) but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I learned everything on f360 but if I'm going to use a cloud app I might as well use the one that doesn't pretend to be a desktop app, I guess

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

IMO onshape has really good hotkeys and once you learn them the ui is nicer than most CAD programs for the majority of stuff

E: I also really like multiple selections being the default mode (rather than holding shift or ctrl) with space to clear, I really wish I could do this in inventor

complete sidebar: inventor kinda sucks but holy gently caress is autodesk vault a huge pile of poo poo why do i now admin my works vault :negative:

simmyb fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 10, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We do have to use autodesk at our work. All the blueprints / cad stuff (woodworking related) is done by one guy in 2D autocad. Until last year he was running a copy of Autocad 2006 when his WinXP computer finally shat itself. Fortunately I had the idea of backing it up as a VM some time before and all the work files are saved on the network so they where safe. The CAM software as well requires XP and can't use 7 or 10 etc and it was pretty expensive so we're running one virtual XP box now just for the CAM software.

Unfortunately when doing the physical to VM migration Autocad stopped working and wanted to be re-authorized. I spent a week looking for the box or physical evidence of the purchase. Eventually it turned out hey we didn't own an Autodesk license, looks like this program was licensed to this now defunct company next door that we hired for 3D stuff. Apparently we had one their licenses for some reason? Well that was a goner and wasn't coming back. So we had to fork out for an AutoCAD LT license. Which fortunately was not that expensive. It's subscription based now of course.

Oh yeah I also had to re-authenticate Windows XP, which worked!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I admire your company’s commitment to fighting the e-waste problem :shepface:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Thanks for the rec's guys, I'm using OnShape right now and it seems perfect for my project. Maybe not perfect since that's impossible but definitely covers my needs. I spent a very frustrating 20 minutes figuring out stuff and not knowing how it worked until it RTFM and I'm cruising now.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

We do have to use autodesk at our work. All the blueprints / cad stuff (woodworking related) is done by one guy in 2D autocad. Until last year he was running a copy of Autocad 2006 when his WinXP computer finally shat itself. Fortunately I had the idea of backing it up as a VM some time before and all the work files are saved on the network so they where safe. The CAM software as well requires XP and can't use 7 or 10 etc and it was pretty expensive so we're running one virtual XP box now just for the CAM software.

Unfortunately when doing the physical to VM migration Autocad stopped working and wanted to be re-authorized. I spent a week looking for the box or physical evidence of the purchase. Eventually it turned out hey we didn't own an Autodesk license, looks like this program was licensed to this now defunct company next door that we hired for 3D stuff. Apparently we had one their licenses for some reason? Well that was a goner and wasn't coming back. So we had to fork out for an AutoCAD LT license. Which fortunately was not that expensive. It's subscription based now of course.

Thanks for the morale boost about my job.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jesus Christ.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is zero reason to use AutoCAD for any new project today. The only valid use case for that software in 2023 is for the intern to use it to open all the old archived blueprints and convert them to SolidWorks or Revit or whatever. AutoCAD go away

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sagebrush posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is zero reason to use AutoCAD for any new project today. The only valid use case for that software in 2023 is for the intern to use it to open all the old archived blueprints and convert them to SolidWorks or Revit or whatever. AutoCAD go away

I'm looking for a New job, and you'd be surprised just how many openings right now only have AutoCAD listed. I've learned this means they're not going to pay me anywhere what I'm looking for.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'm told a lot of welding shops in my area still rely on AutoCAD to make fabrication drawings and stuff (what do I know, I'm a machinist)

It's still so popular that the local trade school sees itself forced to teach it to welding/fab students.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've learned that a lot of jobs that say they want AutoCAD actually just want some sort of drafting or 3D modeling skills, and they're using AutoCAD as a generic term like Photoshop. Demonstrate that you can do what they're looking for with Solidworks, and you'll be fine.

Unless it's a position with some dinosaur of a company that really does still use AutoCAD for everything. In which case I feel bad for you son

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

I'm told a lot of welding shops in my area still rely on AutoCAD to make fabrication drawings and stuff (what do I know, I'm a machinist)

It's still so popular that the local trade school sees itself forced to teach it to welding/fab students.

Yeah that is unfortunately going to be true for a lot of machine shops. Machinists are the absolute worst stodgiest crankiest old grognards about upgrading their software. "I bought this computer for $5,000 in 1988, and now you're telling me I have to buy a whole new one???"

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

I've learned that a lot of jobs that say they want AutoCAD actually just want some sort of drafting or 3D modeling skills, and they're using AutoCAD as a generic term like Photoshop. Demonstrate that you can do what they're looking for with Solidworks, and you'll be fine.

Unless it's a position with some dinosaur of a company that really does still use AutoCAD for everything. In which case I feel bad for you son

A lot of this, older folks leave feedback loving my AutoCAD lessons after sitting through a week off SOLIDWORKS essentials 🙃

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

FWIW I don't give a poo poo about what software they use. I myself don't actually have to use any of it. I just have to keep the show going forward which tbh was a kinda fun little project from my perspective. It's a small company, that guy knows 2D AutoCAD and don't care for learning a new cad program. He also owns half the company, so his perogative.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah that is unfortunately going to be true for a lot of machine shops. Machinists are the absolute worst stodgiest crankiest old grognards about upgrading their software. "I bought this computer for $5,000 in 1988, and now you're telling me I have to buy a whole new one???"

Something to be said for that though. A mill or lathe can run for decades. If you don't need more capabilities then it shouldn't need to upgrade.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My mechanic still keeps all his customer records on some ancient DOS program

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Don’t get me wrong, computers you can treat as appliances that you keep for ages and ages and ages is absolutely a good thing and probably something that we as a society ought to get more attuned to.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My mechanic still keeps all his customer records on some ancient DOS program

I worked with a lady who maintained some insane custom totally bespoke point of sale and inventory system that ran on emulated macOS 7 from the early 90s, and then would sync inventory between stores by some insane difference system. DOS is probably a big upgrade

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

The valid use case is that all those 2023 programs are chained to some deranged SAAS subscription plan and DRM scheme that loses its poo poo and locks me out if my internet connection drops for even an instant while the crusty old 2D CAD software does enough to get by and actually fuckin works

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The valid use case is that all those 2023 programs are chained to some deranged SAAS subscription plan and DRM scheme that loses its poo poo and locks me out if my internet connection drops for even an instant while the crusty old 2D CAD software does enough to get by and actually fuckin works

my friend have you heard the good word of Rhino

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Sagebrush posted:

My comment was specifically aimed at welding shops. Machine shops in the Netherlands are by and large pretty progressive about acquiring new machines/tools/software/robots. (Though they tend to underutilize all of the shiny toys they have)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

We're keeping a single seat of Autocad at work to make dxf files for waterjet, laser cut etc. Here's prints and dxfs seems to get us cheaper quotes and fewer errors. Just got to remember to save it as Autocad 2000 version so their ancient setup can read it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Spaghett posted:

I also don't know of many modern shops that use manual machinery or manual programming.

There are thousands of job shops that run a poo poo load of manual machines. You don't write cam or use a CNC for a one off part.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

poo poo so many of my customers don’t even need full 3 axis CAM. Plates with holes really make the world go round.

I don’t think I’ve even been party to a sale for a customer doing 2 axis turning, the folks that need CAM for turning machines are usually doing multiple spindles or mill turn.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

poo poo so many of my customers don’t even need full 3 axis CAM. Plates with holes really make the world go round.

I don’t think I’ve even been party to a sale for a customer doing 2 axis turning, the folks that need CAM for turning machines are usually doing multiple spindles or mill turn.

My local shop just bought a big Haas lathe. No live tooling, nothing fancy.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

We roll with a big fat Haas lathe, strictly 2 axis, and the guys normally program it on the machine. I've broke out F360 a few times for weird paths and to show off, but other than that it's CAM free.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are those taking conversational or just plain ol writing the code? Besides posting code I haven’t gotten to touch the big Haas controller.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Are those taking conversational or just plain ol writing the code? Besides posting code I haven’t gotten to touch the big Haas controller.

Plain ole g-code. This is the older Haas control pre-conversational. It has some very rudimentary conversational but not like the new ones. There's another shop in town that runs Mazak lathes and it's amazing what they do without ever touching a line of G-code.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I was very lucky and picked up a "broken" scrap laser cutter recently which I managed to unbreak and I have been happily setting fire to things since then!

However the cutter i have is one that rather than being g-code based (as seems to be the standard now) uses a special printer driver which it uses to translate from an image to its vector/raster thing.

It is very picky about the image structure - and so far I have only had success using illustrator - and I really dont like it!.

Coming from hobby level 3d design with fusion 360, illustrator just feels like a nightmare to use and i spend many hours swearing at it to make it do what i want. Then i need to make a slight change and it throws off all my careful measurements.

The cutter print driver is also super picky about file types: eg I have to use RGB, and to get vector lines to work they have to be 0.01px wide - which then makes them almost impossible to see within the design software!
I am also having issues where larger designs randomly get sections missed out - which is a nightmare when i am trying to do a full sheet

I have not been able to get any other software (eg inkscape) to actually create compatible files yet.

Has anybody else worked with a cutter like this? what software did you end up using.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are you using a universal laser? What’s it running on?

I’ve created custom drawing templates in SOLIDWORKS that create compatible DWG’s for universal lasers, I can see if I have one laying around.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

NewFatMike posted:

Are you using a universal laser? What’s it running on?

I’ve created custom drawing templates in SOLIDWORKS that create compatible DWG’s for universal lasers, I can see if I have one laying around.

Is this for me?
No its not a universal laser (as far as i know!). The printer driver is provided by the laser cutter manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Tomarse posted:

Is this for me?
No its not a universal laser (as far as i know!). The printer driver is provided by the laser cutter manufacturer.

Good to know!

A consistent workflow for me was to export either a sketch or face as a DXF from Fusion to import into Illustrator.

Once it was in, all I had to do was change line weights and colors, no design work necessary.

Have you tried that workflow? It’s fairly standard for hobby level machines. Printing from a custom drawings template is more involved setup-wise.