Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
can, did. 69 bux fun money tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

anyways you dont gotta hand it to them but i will definitely laugh at the vcs spending the last several years just outright supporting republican party ideals, the bank itself successfully lobbying the trump admin to lower liquidity stress requirements, and then this happens and the olive branch the Trumps extend is "your bank failed because it's TOO GAY buh bye sweetheart"

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1634921788068204544
I mean I think you're overthinking it kind of? It's as simple as "bad thing happened? oh, okay it's because of [insert current bogeyman/talking point]"

Trump was also constantly accusing silicon valley as being too liberal during his presidency as a way to pressure tech companies into letting him say whatever he wanted

Even people sucking up to him would be unlikely to not expect this to happen I think

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 12, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
otoh have you considered VC people are extremely entitled assholes that like to scream about lazy moochers and bootstraps, and are now asking for a complete bailout, which is different because [insert excuse about "job creation" here]

gently caress these people. i feel bad for the workers caught up in it, but that's about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

smackfu posted:

lucky the bank is named “Silicon Valley Bank” so it seems like it failing is normal

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes posted:

I mean I think you're overthinking it kind of? It's as simple as "bad thing happened? oh, okay it's because of [insert current bogeyman/talking point]"

Trump was also constantly accusing silicon valley as being too liberal during his presidency as a way to pressure tech companies into letting him say whatever he wanted

Even people sucking up to him would be unlikely to not expect this to happen I think

i know thats not literally what happened im just having fun

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i think this is a nice opportunity to point and laugh in pretty much any direction available, hard to go wrong

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
in either case, bubbel almost certainly has popped. we will know by like may if there will be contagion to normal peep banks then the rest of the economy. i believe there will be.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
it's possible if these idiots keep trying to whip up a frenzy but c'mon they are obviously being disingenuous

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

it's possible if these idiots keep trying to whip up a frenzy but c'mon they are obviously being disingenuous

sure but since when does that matter

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bank runs auto-catalyze whether they are started in bad faith or not. once they get started, you can either participate or risk your uninsured deposits. you cannot ignore it even if it starts in bad faith.

in the worst parts of 2008, they were also sweating about if the fdic would come through on everything.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/FlatEartherKitt/status/1634906057796616192

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i think this is a nice opportunity to point and laugh in pretty much any direction available, hard to go wrong

i knew a registration to a comedy forums was a wise investment

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

sure but since when does that matter

for most people it probably doesn't, the chart bdid posted earlier shows most banks have ~40+% of deposits totaling less than $250k, which the fdic has to be able to cover

i honestly can't feel bad for the people with more than that. it's not hard to make multiple accounts, even if it's a pain in the rear end to manage. but they can also afford to pay someone to do that for them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lmao "drives a used honda odyssey" as a sympathy point

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/ChuckVacuumBeth/status/1634781787942518784

this is totally hurting me, a poor working mother of 4 millionaire who dreams of subscription party planning services

^^:bahgawd:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

smackfu posted:

lucky the bank is named “Silicon Valley Bank” so it seems like it failing is normal

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that lady is deranged

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao "drives a used honda odyssey" as a sympathy point

"husband works in manufacturing" (husband is ex-mckinsey consultant, now steel plant exec)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

madmatt112 posted:

all I’m hearing, again for the millionth time, is that our financial system is built on smoke and mirrors and we’re yet again trying to keep the show going so it doesn’t fall over and ruin the modern world. fuckers rigged the system so without them we lose and with them we lose.

ok but that's the history of every financial system since the invention of currency

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
before, too. we got a couple of preserved de facto complaints about how the babylonian priest-temple complexes were managed

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

i honestly can't feel bad for the people with more than that. it's not hard to make multiple accounts, even if it's a pain in the rear end to manage. but they can also afford to pay someone to do that for them

i mean yea literally no one cares about those people.

ps: fdic insurance at banks is 250k per name not per account. apparently credit unions are per account? not 100% sure of the difference but for some places its per name.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The_Franz posted:

this is totally hurting me, a poor working mother of 4 millionaire who dreams of subscription party planning services

she also scrubbed the pricing page after people caught it lol

https://www.strongsuit.co/strongsuit-pricing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

post hole digger posted:

"husband works in manufacturing" (husband is ex-mckinsey consultant, now steel plant exec)

"i 'live' in ohio" :qq:

"my 4 kids can't afford private schools now"

just loving delusional, jfc

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this is like the exact polar opposite of the icelandic guy being hosed by musk. the absolute least sympathetic people in the universe.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Franz posted:

this makes me think about that infamous wsj infographic about rich people's incomes being affected by a tax increase or whatever it was

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hahahaha

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

bank runs auto-catalyze whether they are started in bad faith or not. once they get started, you can either participate or risk your uninsured deposits. you cannot ignore it even if it starts in bad faith.

in the worst parts of 2008, they were also sweating about if the fdic would come through on everything.

spontaneously seems real unlikely to spread, *but* the core problem svb had, stacks of low-yield treasuries which are hard to sell in the middle of interest rates spiking, a lot of other banks no doubt also have.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol she already deleted the pricing page for her startup within a couple hours because she got owned so hard on twitter

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

i mean yea literally no one cares about those people.

ps: fdic insurance at banks is 250k per name not per account. apparently credit unions are per account? not 100% sure of the difference but for some places its per name.

i mean, you can also use differing institutions, too. i don't think that's completely unreasonable if you expect the same treatment as the average schmoe

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, you can also use differing institutions, too. i don't think that's completely unreasonable if you expect the same treatment as the average shmoe

Giannis Antetokounmpo, the two-time MVP who last year led the Milwaukee Bucks to their first NBA title since 1971, opened bank accounts with 50 different banks — each one of them holding $250,000, his boss, team owner Marc Lasry, told Bloomberg News.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pinterest Mom posted:

Giannis Antetokounmpo, the two-time MVP who last year led the Milwaukee Bucks to their first NBA title since 1971, opened bank accounts with 50 different banks — each one of them holding $250,000, his boss, team owner Marc Lasry, told Bloomberg News.

giannis ftw

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there's always a ppp story

https://twitter.com/GRomePow/status/1634947153125838853

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, you can also use differing institutions, too. i don't think that's completely unreasonable if you expect the same treatment as the average shmoe

of course, i'm just sharing some things I learned recently

(my bank is 1st republic, but I am, uh, well under the 250k limit so idgaf)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

that guy gets it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Lol that a basketball player was smart enough to do this and silicon valley genius investors were not

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

that guy gets it

what a hassle

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

there it is

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

that lady is deranged

i honestly wonder if she knows she is full of poo poo and intentionally writes this way to garner sympathy, or if, after so many years of spewing bullshit for a living, she really can't tell the difference

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

The_Franz posted:

i honestly wonder if she knows she is full of poo poo and intentionally writes this way to garner sympathy, or if, after so many years of spewing bullshit for a living, she really can't tell the difference

she's huffing her own farts. even if you take what she says as being entirely to garner sympathy it's extremely hosed up

https://twitter.com/lcmichaelides/status/1634654776234242050

why yes, i underpay my employees, BUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/lcmichaelides/status/1634654782987042816

:shepface: *deletes extremely incriminating product pricing page*