Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

post hole digger posted:

she also scrubbed the pricing page after people caught it lol

https://www.strongsuit.co/strongsuit-pricing

im the...copyright 2020 on the bottom of the pages

no, im the "blog" that exposes the subdomain on her lovely crm platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
like i said, i feel bad for the workers caught up in this: i know there are at least a few of you that have spoken up itt, and probably more lurkers. its not your fault these people are deranged sociopaths, but they're really showing their whole asses here and it makes me extremely mad

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1634946278269526016

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

she's huffing her own farts. even if you take what she says as being entirely to garner sympathy it's extremely hosed up

https://twitter.com/lcmichaelides/status/1634654776234242050

why yes, i underpay my employees, BUT

"now i'm just a poor ol' yokel from the brown plains of central ohio, who don't know nuthin' about no tech eye-letes, with a humble dream to make the world a better place by charging people $6000 to tell 'em where to go on vacation"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I think SVB failing is bad. I also think the fed should absolutely not bail them out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah that lady absolutely believes her constructed version of her life where she's somehow a blue collar CEO, i've met people like that before

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive decided to get inordinately mad about fractional reserve banking, as a stunt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

ive decided to get inordinately mad about fractional reserve banking, as a stunt

good news you have company
https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidSacks/status/1634363393498038273
https://mobile.twitter.com/_ali_taylor/status/1634266779592585216

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

rotor posted:

I think SVB failing is bad. I also think the fed should absolutely not bail them out.

both can be true. the bubble had to pop sometime though, we all knew this, and it was likely to be extremely quick instead of long and drawn out. having most of this bullshit centralized into one institution is just icing on that cake

i do have some sympathy for the people playing by the rules and making a genuinely useful product, but for every one of those there are 20 bespoke to-do list apps that absolutely should not have received the amount of funding they did. they were always running on borrowed time and we also knew this, that's the point of these long-running threads

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

yep

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/modestproposal1/status/1634948185469902850

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lmao

too bad it didn’t throw in a “no respect” line

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i tell ya, AI these days has no respect for the greats, no respect

e: :argh:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

yeah that lady absolutely believes her constructed version of her life where she's somehow a blue collar CEO, i've met people like that before

iirc like 78% of Americans believe they are “middle class”

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
heres a thing ive been thinking about

big rear end depositors in businesses more sophisticated than startups often use third party non fdic deposit insurance. is this underwritten like life insurance, where poo poo aint that correlated, or like hurricane insurance, where everyone is cognizant of the fact that it is? because theres been multiple cases where some fucker comes into hurricane insurance, underwrites it like poo poo, charges too little for premium, and loses or almost loses their shirt. reinsurance is actually only marginally bigger than fdics fund, 700 billion vs 120 billion, and lloyds will say gently caress you at some point. the massachusetts deposit insurance fund is ostensibly free - does that indicate that its underwritten like poo poo?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

feelin a little targeted here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

if this is done without legislation someone should challenge it on the same grounds student debt relief was

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hey bob dobbs how is breaking quantum computing going?

you’re chicken littling like a mofo. this isn’t going to be an issue at any other banks because peter theil et al aren’t trying to withdraw $50bn at once and other banks actually have reserves to cover withdrawals.

the auction today will have a buyer for svb’s assets and all of the depositors will be made nearly if not completely whole. shareholders are eating the loss, though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

getting a lot of mixed signals here

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

you’re chicken littling like a mofo. this isn’t going to be an issue at any other banks because peter theil et al aren’t trying to withdraw $50bn at once and other banks actually have reserves to cover withdrawals.

the auction today will have a buyer for svb’s assets and all of the depositors will be made nearly if not completely whole. shareholders are eating the loss, though.

FDIC "safeguarding" uninsured deposits is a just bailout on the sly. Guaranteeing all deposits (vs FDIC) lowers SVB's liabilities, increasing the value of its assets (mostly, its stock). That means whoever buys it will likely pay more for its stock to its owners- a good deal of whom are its executives and venture capital firms who invested in the startups that bank w/ SVB.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i'm not surprised. it's in bloomberg's, wapo and wsj's interest to report that a bailout might be incoming. the screeching from VC types is both extremely loud and hilarious, but they're ultimately their readership

i wouldn't rush to judgment on what the fed does or doesn't do immediately. having an unsourced rumor is not the same as a policy decision

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if i were a bank i would simply use my money to buy more money

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shame Boy posted:

:hmmyes:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

isn't that what they do though

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

hes freaking out because it actually effects him lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

some banks are better at it than others.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

going to introduce sv tech bros to a great man who wants to end the fed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

same wrt the atlantic, nancy pelosi, and sxsw. they're playing to an audience

i hate to sound somewhat chuddy about this but you can't always trust the media to be objective. if they call this what it is then they lose a lot of subscribers

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

i hate to sound somewhat chuddy about this but you can't always trust the media to be objective

its not good if thats become a "chud" opinion

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

Federal authorities are seriously considering safeguarding all uninsured deposits at Silicon Valley Bank, weighing an extraordinary intervention to prevent what they fear would be a panic in the U.S. financial system, according to three people with knowledge of the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private deliberations.

Officials at the Treasury Department, Federal Reserve, and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation discussed the idea this weekend, the people said, with only hours to go before financial markets opened in Asia. White House officials have also studied the idea, per two separate people familiar with those discussions

i mean, yeah, you'd expect that they'd at least discuss the idea

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

post hole digger posted:

its not good if thats become a "chud" opinion

agreed, but that's in more re: nancy pelosi, silicon valley and "elite" media institutions

they've really made it pretty hard to be critical of anything unfortunately

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hes freaking out because it actually effects him lmao

it affects rotor in the next week, basically marginally and a small inconvenience, if frc eats poo poo. it will affect everyone in this thread if like 10 more banks eat poo poo.

i dont own any uninsured deposit anywhere because someone basically beat into me the knowledge of what bank deposits are years ago

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

no more banks are going to eat poo poo because none were in the position of svb and have people trying to withdraw $42bn at once.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats something to say next saturday, not today

svb was actually better capitalized than a fair percentage of american banks

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

no more banks are going to eat poo poo because none were in the position of svb and have people trying to withdraw $42bn at once.

jason calacancis is trying his best tho.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

actually did not expect this from pelosi... at first

quote:

Pelosi, who represents California’s 11th congressional district, began by discussing the recent collapse of Silicon Valley Bank and the anxiety sweeping through not only her home district but the tech and financial industries as a whole. “I don’t think there’s any appetite in this country for bailing out a bank,” she said. “What we would hope to see by tomorrow morning is for some other bank to buy the bank.” She said there were multiple potential buyers, but she couldn’t reveal their names. Pelosi pointed out that former President Donald Trump had authorized the reduction of certain Dodd-Frank protections that had been instituted following the 2008 financial crash: “If they were still in place and the bank had to honor them, this might have been avoided,” she offered.

Rather than repeating our recent history and using taxpayer money to rescue the failed institution, Pelosi said the focus should be on protecting depositors and small businesses at risk of closing or not making payroll. “We do not want contagion,” she said.

Pelosi pointed to money—the reckless use and exploitation of it—as the root of virtually every problem facing America and the world today. Whether the potential fallout of a failed bank like SVB or the rise of autocracy around the world, it all comes down to money, money, money, and little else.

but of course this reasonable take quickly veers into deranged lib-brained bullshit

quote:

“Money buying Russian oil is paying for the assault on democracy in Ukraine,” Pelosi said. She accused China of “buying” votes from smaller countries at the United Nations, and said the U.S. must join with the European Union “in using the leverage of this big market to have the playing field be more even.”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
uh that's jason@calcanis, 3 time angel investor, thankyouverymuch

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats something to say next saturday, not today

nah i can say it today. this isn’t an issue elsewhere, and svb’s depositors will be fine with access to most or all of their funds tomorrow following the conclusion of the auction today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think he's the inventor of email too