Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eiba posted:

You've completely missed the point of the Tuskens if you think they're there to just to show him "losing everything" again. He kept something from the Tuskens- the value of a community.

The Book of Boba Fett wasn't a story about Boba Fett trying to find new armor and weapons, it was a story about Boba Fett trying to find a new community and a new way of doing things that he learned was possible from the Tuskens.

I'm not going to defend the execution. If you don't like it you don't like it. But you also seem to not have understood the very most basic themes.

Also the Mods were cool as heck and there are real world subcultures about looking ridiculously clean and fancy in otherwise impoverished areas.

I never said it was about "new armor and weaponry", you're forgetting he's a Mandalorian. His armor and weapons are a key part of his identity. Especially as they're his father's. Losing them is very much losing a part of himself.

The Tuskens only exist to die as dramatic flashback trauma. For a story that's meant to expand Tatooine a little at ground-level and, as you say, build a community, murking a key part of that is just needlessly redundant. They should be the starting piece of it, working to integrate them with Mos Espa rather than torching them for cheap drama. The community-building's also pretty nonexistent - The townsfolk never back up Boba Fett, and his assembled gang isn't much of one considering it's;

* Din Djarin (There for the job and got his own thing going on)
* A Wookie bounty hunter (Outsider)
* Some local kids (Probably an attempt at a backdoor pilot to spin off to their own show)
* The assassin he brought with him.

And the one part of the town that was decent to him got blown up for more cheap drama because, oh no, the Pykes Mean Business. Oh no, not the place visited all of... twice? :nallears:

He's only King at the end because he won by conquest, not because he forged any real bond with the townsfolk. For most of Mos Espa it's just hail the new king, same as the old king, keep your head down and wait till it all goes around again.

Eiba posted:

Look and design I'll grant you as a matter of taste, but their role was to show Boba Fett connecting with the people of Mos Espa. That was a good role and an important part of bringing the story together, showing that he's creating meaningful connections in this new community he wants to be a part of.

Admittedly if you just thought they were lame and weren't interested in them that whole aspect probably fell really flat, but that's them not fulfilling their role well, not their role being bad.

The Mods look like a low-budget DC Comics superhero TV show crossed over into Star Wars and stick out like a sore thumb. They add nothing to the show, their existence and designs are pretty hard to justify for Tatooine (Least of all because any kids with bike-and-clean-clothing money tend to leave Tatooine and go somewhere decent), and the filmography around their scenes is different enough to read like someone's angling for a back-door pilot for their pet project. They don't even engage with their own premise, because the core conceit is "they use droid parts to do stuff better in a world full of stronger non-humans" and... they don't. The girl shoots with her human arm, not her droid one that'd arguably be more accurate, and the guy with the eyepiece uses it all of... once? And not even to snipe with. They're just dumbass teens with shiny cyborg parts that look nothing like recognizable droid components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Also true. The much-welcome addition of giving them more depth was undercut in part or in whole by fridging them.

There are also uncomfortable similarities to countless white savior becomes the best American Indian/Samurai/Na'vi/whatever stories, but Boba isn't white and I am and so that's best unpacked by somebody else.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I never said it was about "new armor and weaponry", you're forgetting he's a Mandalorian. His armor and weapons are a key part of his identity. Especially as they're his father's. Losing them is very much losing a part of himself.
Right. My bad. It would be more accurate for me to say, " The Book of Boba Fett wasn't a story about Boba Fett trying to find his old armor and weapons, it was a story about Boba Fett trying to find a new community and a new way of doing things that he learned was possible from the Tuskens."

As for the rest of what you're saying. :shrug: Okay.

Let me remind you about what I was responding to:

quote:

[The Tuscans] only exist to be a tragic backstory of loss and motivation that Fett already had from getting eaten by a Sarlacc and escaping. His armor's gone, he's got to start over and does as a new man. Losing the Tuskens is just a needless step back from that.
My post was entirely in response to this point. The Tuscans and Boba Fett's new desire for community are much better motivations than a fetch quest for old equipment, and it's bizarre that you'd relate the two concepts.

LividLiquid posted:

Also true. The much-welcome addition of giving them more depth was undercut in part or in whole by fridging them.

There are also uncomfortable similarities to countless white savior becomes the best American Indian/Samurai/Na'vi/whatever stories, but Boba isn't white and I am and so that's best unpacked by somebody else.
I agree with this wholeheartedly though. Definitely not happy with how the show got the Tuscans out of the way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eiba posted:

Let me remind you about what I was responding to:

My post was entirely in response to this point. The Tuscans and Boba Fett's new desire for community are much better motivations than a fetch quest for old equipment, and it's bizarre that you'd relate the two concepts.

I think you've misread that then, because the specific line there is "his armor's gone, he's got to start over and does as a new man. There's nothing there about getting his armor back or replacing it, my point was it was about him finding a new life with the Tuskens and discarding his old life.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you've misread that then, because the specific line there is "his armor's gone, he's got to start over and does as a new man. There's nothing there about getting his armor back or replacing it, my point was it was about him finding a new life with the Tuskens and discarding his old life.
I did misread! Oops! My bad!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eiba posted:

I did misread! Oops! My bad!

All good! :yayclod:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's the Mandalorian.

That means there's mandatory lore, Ian

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Mods look like a low-budget DC Comics superhero TV show crossed over into Star Wars and stick out like a sore thumb. They add nothing to the show, their existence and designs are pretty hard to justify for Tatooine (Least of all because any kids with bike-and-clean-clothing money tend to leave Tatooine and go somewhere decent), and the filmography around their scenes is different enough to read like someone's angling for a back-door pilot for their pet project. They don't even engage with their own premise, because the core conceit is "they use droid parts to do stuff better in a world full of stronger non-humans" and... they don't. The girl shoots with her human arm, not her droid one that'd arguably be more accurate, and the guy with the eyepiece uses it all of... once? And not even to snipe with. They're just dumbass teens with shiny cyborg parts that look nothing like recognizable droid components.

I think this is by design; they look jarringly different from their surroundings and neighboring characters because they represent a part of the population that long-term residents/gangsters/etc. simply wouldn't understand nor connect with. Now, to be clear, Fett doesn't actually understand them (apart from the implants helping people survive injuries) - but he knows enough to offer them a job and make sure they're dependent on him for income, since they like having shiny vehicles and unnecessary surgery. I think the show may have hinted they were lazy rich kids, but having a job with Fett still gives them some measure of independence.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
from a while back but:

Phenotype posted:

that's stupid

this whole thing is stupid

why would you let a baby make that decision he's just a dumb baby

"hey little kid, do you want to go with boring mom who keeps you safe and makes you go to school every day or cool dad who flies around in a spaceship and shoots people?"

It's a take on Lone Wolf and Cub, just like the entire series.

edit: also the mods rule, suck it nerds

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Phenotype posted:

that's stupid

this whole thing is stupid

why would you let a baby make that decision he's just a dumb baby

"hey little kid, do you want to go with boring mom who keeps you safe and makes you go to school every day or cool dad who flies around in a spaceship and shoots people?"

Also Luke is basically saying "if you do what I did when I left Dagobah, you can't come back even though I did, because, uh, reasons"

I think they originally intended for Grogu not to come back, or not to come back so fast, but someone higher up said "you need baby Yoda or no show"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

LividLiquid posted:

I remember this thread hashing a lot of this out way back when the show first aired. My take on the whole bit is that Boba wasn't a "white savior" because he didn't save them. He got them killed. He saw the train and wanted to fight back the way a badass non-white "white dude" would. He got the Tuskens to go along with him because they respected him at that point. Sure the train derailment/robbery was cool and very satisfying in the moment, but Boba Fett turned the Tusken tribe from a mild nuisance to the Pikes who had (high-tech weapons and a bunch of power) to something that looked like an actual threat. At which point the Pike had the tribe murdered to the last child.

To me the point was that Boba Fett trying to be the "white savior" was him loving up and getting those people killed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpOjCtf6UUg

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm gonna just say it, Bo Katan's armor is really flattering.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Codependent Poster posted:

His first words?

Neeeeww Yorrrk Ciiiitayyyyy

It would definitely be Fatheeeeeeeeeer

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

This has probably been said already but there were like 800 posts to read, but anyone else finding it hard to gel with the new season of Mandalorian after watching Andor?

Like, I enjoyed the first season of Mando mostly because it was first out of the gate with a really fresh take on SW. Boba show was mediocre (it’s telling that the only decent episodes were Mando season 2.5). Post Andor though this show feels almost.. immature?

Andor really spoiled me in terms of exactly the kind of SW show I want to see. Adult, mature writing, incredible dialogue and monologues, characters with shades of grey, etc. Mando writing just feels super shallow now, on reflection, and the first two episodes of this season have gone nowhere and added nothing, really. They also feel really short - but I haven’t compared runtimes to know if they actually are much shorter than Andor episodes were.

I guess I just have to accept that this show is for a different audience.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
yeah I would hope they wouldn't gatekeep the baby yoda show to only adults

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's not what they said at all.

E: Andor showed you can elevate this stuff and take it seriously without winking at the camera that they are also in on the joke that it's all just fun times, nothing serious.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 12, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vintersorg posted:

That's not what they said at all.

E: Andor showed you can elevate this stuff and take it seriously without winking at the camera that they are also in on the joke that it's all just fun times, nothing serious.

That's cool, but I guess I'm mostly okay that the show with the baby Yoda Muppet isn't all that elevated.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's no arguing with that, eh? "It's just baby yoda man! :lol:"

E: Like, you can't dismiss sloppy story telling with, "It's not meant to be serious - have a laugh, eat some cereal" Clone Wars, Bad Batch, and Rebels were aimed at a younger audience but they could easily knock it out the park.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 12, 2023

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Everyone posted:

That's cool, but I guess I'm mostly okay that the show with the baby Yoda Muppet isn't all that elevated.
Which is why I was deliberate in saying that it feels like a show for a different audience rather than it being an objectively bad show - which it isn’t.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think the last episode of Mando was just plain bad and not a situation where andor broke the hypnosis

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Mando had varied in quality throughout its run but there’s no question that these first two episodes are subpar. Everything feels pretty rote and/or repetitive so far and the writing has been pretty boring.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe Jonny Faves just stopped caring idk. I thought season 2 was so much more fun and it felt like they stepped up the action and spectacle and this first one was like uh. Alright. Sure.

The dialog was just the worst in all of Star wars.

“And I will find out if the planet is really poisoned”

?? Was that a quip? A comeback? Just him talking out loud?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Watching Pedro on TLOU and then hearing him deliver the dialogue in Mando has also produced a weird dissonance in my brain. The dialogue in the former isn’t mind blowing, but hearing him talk there has made me realize how absolutely flat his affect is as Din and it’s not doing the new season any favors.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Its easier to let body language compliment your line deliveries when you're acting yourself and not just trying to match the body language of someone else wearing the costume on set.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Din is supposed to be kinda flat and reserved. It's not Ace Ventura under the helmet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Him making a quip “thts using your head” was a bit odd to me

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MeinPanzer posted:

Watching Pedro on TLOU and then hearing him deliver the dialogue in Mando has also produced a weird dissonance in my brain. The dialogue in the former isn’t mind blowing, but hearing him talk there has made me realize how absolutely flat his affect is as Din and it’s not doing the new season any favors.

IDK Joel has kind of a rear end in a top hat voice.

https://youtu.be/GFIcwKh2zS0

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If nothing else worked out for him, Pedro Pascal could still have a really good gig impersonating the man with no name

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Durzel posted:

This has probably been said already but there were like 800 posts to read, but anyone else finding it hard to gel with the new season of Mandalorian after watching Andor?

Like, I enjoyed the first season of Mando mostly because it was first out of the gate with a really fresh take on SW. Boba show was mediocre (it’s telling that the only decent episodes were Mando season 2.5). Post Andor though this show feels almost.. immature?

Andor really spoiled me in terms of exactly the kind of SW show I want to see. Adult, mature writing, incredible dialogue and monologues, characters with shades of grey, etc. Mando writing just feels super shallow now, on reflection, and the first two episodes of this season have gone nowhere and added nothing, really. They also feel really short - but I haven’t compared runtimes to know if they actually are much shorter than Andor episodes were.

I guess I just have to accept that this show is for a different audience.

I'm really trying not to read this as "I'm too big for this Star Wars show for babies", but tonally, it's the same as the previous two seasons, so I'm not sure how you can't enjoy it.

I get that you liked Andor, but one could argue Andor would have been the same regardless of setting/backdrop.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Star Wars: Boba's Books are overdue and he intends to collect

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Instead of being called The Book of Boba Fett they should have called it Under the Tusken Sun

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Red posted:

I'm really trying not to read this as "I'm too big for this Star Wars show for babies", but tonally, it's the same as the previous two seasons, so I'm not sure how you can't enjoy it.

I get that you liked Andor, but one could argue Andor would have been the same regardless of setting/backdrop.
I probably haven’t articulated it very well.

I think what I’m saying is that post Andor I’m really wishing Mando had the same kind of tone. Watching it yesterday it felt more juvenile? I found it jarring, though that could be because it’s the same universe, so it feels incongruous.

I would say, however, that Mando season 1 with the Client felt - to me at least - more serious and more mature.

It doesn’t help that I also felt these first two episodes were pretty weak in isolation.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At this rate Disney will just cancel Andor S2 so it stops making their other shows look bad.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't mind that this show is sillier and less grounded but what I did mind was both Din and Bo-Katan talking about how mandalore was once green and beautiful - not long ago, only 2-3 decades - and then the third time the teoggs show up Bo-Katan said "they used to live in the surface wasteland beyond our cities"

Wait so it was like a poo poo hole outside of the cities, like the Dredd universe? Thought it was green and beautiful. Can the writers keep it straight for one episode?

Still was a fun ep all around, glad there's gonna be a droid around long-term for Mando to have an actual conversation with even we only get one side

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also people taking in mythological terms about stuff that happened in living memory for non-retired adults.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You've clearly never heard a white Boomer talk about the loving sixties.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Durzel posted:

I probably haven’t articulated it very well.

I think what I’m saying is that post Andor I’m really wishing Mando had the same kind of tone. Watching it yesterday it felt more juvenile? I found it jarring, though that could be because it’s the same universe, so it feels incongruous.

I would say, however, that Mando season 1 with the Client felt - to me at least - more serious and more mature.

It doesn’t help that I also felt these first two episodes were pretty weak in isolation.

I disagree in that I would be very happy to get more shows like Andor and also shows that are more adventurous or lighthearted.

I do agree that it’s hard to watch stuff that seems aimless and has terrible dialogue after Andor. I don’t need all my Star Wars to be serious interrogations of institutions and the people that are crushed by them. But I would like more stuff to be as well thought out and cohesive as Andor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mandalore was “green and beautiful back when the songs were written”. i.e. back in the days when Mandalorian culture began. Then the ramifications of Mandalorian culture worked themselves out and the planet was devastated by ages of war. Bo-Katan never knew Mandalore before it was a hosed up desert waste outside. Din, who never knew it at all, is carrying around a mythic ideal of a homeworld that is probably thousands of years in the past at this point. inside the dome-cities it was still pretty nice and civilized, until the shitstorm of civil wars followed by nuclear bombardment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nail Rat posted:

I don't mind that this show is sillier and less grounded but what I did mind was both Din and Bo-Katan talking about how mandalore was once green and beautiful - not long ago, only 2-3 decades - and then the third time the teoggs show up Bo-Katan said "they used to live in the surface wasteland beyond our cities"

Wait so it was like a poo poo hole outside of the cities, like the Dredd universe? Thought it was green and beautiful. Can the writers keep it straight for one episode?

Still was a fun ep all around, glad there's gonna be a droid around long-term for Mando to have an actual conversation with even we only get one side

Could be like salt lake city, it's reasonably green then suddenly a wasteland of salt flats