Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

a big part of why theyre raising interest rates in the first place is to intentionally cause a little recession to cut or stop the increase of wages, basically to break labor. which they think will reduce consumer price inflation while keeping asset prices high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm sure the fat cat artists and crafts people paid by Etsy deserved that haircut, nevermind the morons dealing with an HR processor like Rippling who had their payroll stuck!

(unironically though, I don't feel bad at all for all the cryptocurrency companies that just went to hell over this)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

raminasi posted:

or, it’s being done to protect general confidence in banking period, which is very much in the interest of both of those groups

The companies that receive this money should be nationalized. Every dollar given above the insured FDIC value, or the total value given for uninsured accounts, should result in equivalent equity stripped from investors and founders and given to the government

I hope the hypothetical doorman at Fart wouldn't object to this arrangement

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mila kunis posted:

i wouldnt

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i heard there is a payroll provider named Rippling that was like "if this isn't fixed we can't process payroll for all of our clients". their clients are all over america, the one example i heard was a home care provider. poo poo like this is why there was no way the fdic wasn't going to do everything possible to make depositors whole.

employees, management, investors, and vendors can eat poo poo though

if 2008 onward has taught me anything it's that the system is what matters, not the players, and the powers that be will do everything they can to maintain the system*

*crypto is not part of the system and thus all the crypto-friendly banks failing and being absorbed into non-friendly banks is ok by them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mila kunis posted:

pretending that this is being done to save the poor security guards at Disruptr rather than ensuring VCs don't have a bunch of their investments don't go to zero overnight is some next level shamelessness.

it kinda is though, by way of stabilizing banking across the board; if they wanted to bail out the shareholders they could have

when it comes to this kind of maneuvering, the only answer to “why” is “because they wanted to”

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mila kunis posted:

The companies that receive this money should be nationalized. Every dollar given above the insured FDIC value, or the total value given for uninsured accounts, should result in equivalent equity stripped from investors and founders and given to the government

okay sure i guess

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that equity would just get auctioned off again though, the us govt is not in the business of running fart apps

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the financial system understanders have logged the gently caress on i guess, myself included

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Captain Foo posted:

the financial system understanders have logged the gently caress on i guess, myself included

we never logged out

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

okay sure i guess

Given that this is obviously not going to happen, what does that say about who holds power here and why dismissing the idea that this is just rich people being made whole for free is loving stupid? That this isn't something to be angry about?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think i mostly post about this because the events and stakes are way more pleasant to think about than a lot of the other real news of 2023. a little bank run, a lovely tiny parcel of news one can argue about on the internet a bit without despair.

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
Joe Biden in an emergency press conference this morning: "there's no reason to panic"

the rest of us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KojYatpLPSE&t=9s

Internaut! fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 13, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

AnoHito posted:

then the problem isn't capitalism, as you keep shouting endlessly into the void, it's banks that aren't controlled and operated entirely by the government, a feature not even remotely unique to capitalism

capitalism is still a problem, there can be more than one

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
again, this isn't about keeping rich people whole (in fact, investors that owned svb stock are losing money)

this is about preserving the system through which they skim off the top of our labour

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

mila kunis posted:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
this thread is a mix of cool lefties and practical suburban dad explaining types

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm not even going to quote the post because we're clearly getting nowhere with it but 1) SVB shareholders did get wiped out and 2) the fed is not giving anyone money with the credit facility.

They're basically just doing a repo trade without having the same sort of asset risk you'd normally get because they never need to sell the bonds for market value, so they don't need to margin call the recipient of the cash and will always get back 100 for the 100 they lend

idk if they're accruing coupons or what, if they are on the fed side then they'd be *making* money on this in an abstract sense

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

lol @ nationalizing a company for giving them the money they deposited and that should have been theirs if the banks weren't run by morons who kept arguing in favor of deregulation and then getting it.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
since the banks received the face value of the bonds that they were going to get anyway in eight years, i wouldn't consider this a bailout.

the bailout will be in a year when the fed is just going to say 'hey remember when we said you had to pinky swear that we'd do the reverse trade a year later? just forget about that' and the banks aren't going to have to buy their low interest bonds back

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, and/or in 20 years where that trade facility is somehow still running and now integral to the system.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

mila kunis posted:

Given that this is obviously not going to happen, what does that say about who holds power here and why dismissing the idea that this is just rich people being made whole for free is loving stupid? That this isn't something to be angry about?

in whose interest is nationalizing disruptr, exactly? nobody in the world wants the government to own that. (do you?) and that's not even getting to

MononcQc posted:

lol @ nationalizing a company for giving them the money they deposited and that should have been theirs if the banks weren't run by morons who kept arguing in favor of deregulation and then getting it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

if there's one positive of all this it's that it's forcing me to remember all the finance stuff I'd forgotten because I don't work with any of it directly anymore (I used to support actual repo trading systems way way way back)

thanks Peter Thiel :patriot:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

i still cant believe cremnob posted for the first time in years to tell us that actually Peter Thiel was good

i know it's been a while, but i think you could believe it if you remember what their posts were like before

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Brrrmph posted:

this thread is a mix of cool lefties and practical suburban dad explaining types

that's yospos

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

that's yospos

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

The irony here is the fed raising rates to punish the working class for making too much money instead is causing multiple banks to fail. So I guess we'll done to them.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

HSBC bought the UK branch of SVB for £1.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

they should have raised rates a long while ago to flatten out housing price and loving runaway lending that gave rise to so many idiot poo poo startups in the first place, or alternatively built more affordable housing or curb-stomped commercial real estate of residential housing long ago to control prices better.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
https://www.nyse.com/trade-halt-current

holy moly lol

i was supposed to have an interview today at 10 that got apparently called off because of this, but i didn't realize it's that bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's just returning an error for me.

that's a good sign, right?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, at least we know the breakers work...

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

seems like a lot of trade holds on bank shares

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

who would have thought that incentivizing this behavior might result in this lol

seems bad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
No error for me, but uh ... WAL did not have a very good day

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jabor posted:

the market opened less than an hour ago lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm listening to twit for the techboomer take on all this and the panel refused to let leo bring @jason on until they're all gone

lmao

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Jabor posted:

insert database joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm listening to twit for the techboomer take on all this and the panel refused to let leo bring @jason on until they're all gone

lmao

wait... leo laporte still has a job?